PDA

View Full Version : Leonardo's preferences (possible spoilers)

UchihaKarasu
11-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I was just downloading AC2 walkthroughs for video making purposes and I noticed during Nun the Wiser (or whatever it's called) Leonardo kind of seems nervous talking about where he had seen Antonio hanging out lately and his "mutual friend" Teodora.
Kind of makes me wonder what good old Leonardo has been up to lately http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif
I also wonder if this means Ubi has dismissed the rumors of Leonardo being gay.

UchihaKarasu
11-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I was just downloading AC2 walkthroughs for video making purposes and I noticed during Nun the Wiser (or whatever it's called) Leonardo kind of seems nervous talking about where he had seen Antonio hanging out lately and his "mutual friend" Teodora.
Kind of makes me wonder what good old Leonardo has been up to lately http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif
I also wonder if this means Ubi has dismissed the rumors of Leonardo being gay.

m3rcer
11-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Dismissed the rumors? Uhh... not really.

When you first meat him, as with other characters there's an optional blurb that you can read on their background in history. Ubi-Mont did acknowledge the rumors.

There is also a QTE cut-scene where Leonardo sort of motions and expects a hug from Ezio. I completely missed it (had the controller down, while having a cigareete). Leo's reaction was looking like he was a little let down.

UchihaKarasu
11-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Okay, I think "dismissed" was the wrong choice of words XD Though I don't agree with Salai being his lover, like the database said

also, Leonardo being disappointed by not getting a hug doesn't really have anything to do with his sexuality http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif I think most people would be disappointed

HateCliffhanger
11-26-2009, 06:54 PM
The only evidence of this are the Court records of 1476 which show that Leonardo and three other young men were charged with sodomy. The charges were not proven and he was acquitted.

From;
http://www.bnl.gov/bera/activities/globe…
When he was twenty-four years old, Leonardo was arrested, along with several young companions, on the charge of sodomy. No witnesses appeared against them and eventually the charges were dropped. It must be said that often anonymous charges like this were brought against people just for a nuisance. Renaissance Florentines didn't make the distinctions we make about sexuality today and apparently it was common for young men to get into sexual relationships; in fact, the word "Florenzer" was German slang for "homosexual". Leonardo had no relationships with women, never married, had no children, and raised many young protégés, including one nicknamed "Salai" which means "offspring of Satan". Salai stole things, broke things, lied, and was generally a, well, devil; if he were a mere student or servant he would have been fired. It's not hard to see how this imp would be attractive to Leonardo. He stayed with Leonardo for over twenty years, and appears many times in Leonardo's sketchbooks.

The second major implication of the sodomy case is, of course, the question of Leonardo's sexuality. Homosexuality was common in quatrocento Florence, and several things indicate that Leonardo was probably gay. He never married or showed any (recorded) interest in women; indeed, he wrote in his notebooks that male-female intercourse disgusted him. His anatomical drawings naturally include the sexual organs of both genders, but those of the male exhibit much more extensive attention. Finally, Leonardo surrounded himself with beautiful young male assistants, such as Salai and Melzi.

(More info in the site.)

From;
http://www.reviewpainting.com/Leonardo-d…
Modern critics contend that Leonardo's love of boys was well-known even in the sixteenth century. Rocke reports that in a fictional dialogue on l'amore masculino (male love) written by the contemporary art critic and theorist Gian Paolo Lomazzo, Leonardo appears as one of the protagonists and declares, "Know that male love is exclusively the product of virtue which, joining men together with the diverse affections of friendship, makes it so that from a tender age they would enter into the manly one as more stalwart friends." In the dialogue, the interlocutor inquires of Leonardo about his relations with his assistant, Salai, "Did you play the game from behind which the Florentines love so much?"

There is no evidence that Leonardo was ever intimately involved with any woman, nor in a close friendship with one. Though he kept his private life particularly secret, it is known that he surrounded himself with handsome young men throughout his life, and his art reflects an appreciation of androgynous beauty (and in at least one instance, sexuality). It has therefore been widely assumed that he was a homosexual. One of his lovers is thought to have been Gian Giacomo Caprotti da Oreno (nicknamed Salai (Little Devil)). Gian entered Leonardo's household around 1488 at the age of 10, becoming his servant and assistant for the next thirty years. However some simply believe that Leonardo was an exceptional teacher that needed assistants to aid him in his work and his appreciation of androgynous beauty was just his fascination with the workings of the human body.

Crash_Plague
11-26-2009, 06:55 PM
yeah, I assume its awkward offering a hug and having the person just stand there.

But regarding the brothel, I never really understood Leonardo's tone during the conversation.

Maybe she runs an underground gay club? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Or maybe he was trying his best not to be gay? xD

I dunno.

m3rcer
11-26-2009, 06:57 PM
LOL Okay...

Well maybe, maybe not about the hugging. It could be argued by the context of those rumors and how animated he looked, but then some cultures do a lot of hugging and some don't. No matter.

::blends in with the crowd to avoid the impending TOU warning:: XD

UchihaKarasu
11-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Whoa Cliffhanger http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
And usually I'm the one to break out the historical text walls XD

Actually, I don't deny the idea of Leonardo being gay I actually see him a being more of bi though. I've read a lot about Leonardo da Vince, especially considering I've had a nerd-crush on him for the longest time.
Leonardo was charged with sodomy and was released due to the lack of evidence but I have read several place that the accusation was actually an attempt to over throw the Medici due to the fact that one of the accused was a Medici and poor Leonardo was thrown into the mix.
Also, just because Leonardo had all male assistants doesn't really prove much either considering that there were very few female artists and women were not allowed to join guilds. With Salai, Leonardo was rather childish and somewhat of a prankster so it is possible that he felt an attachment to Salai in that since, but to me it seemed more like he saw him as a child than a lover.
I have actually learned over time that Leonardo and myself are actually pretty similar, we both are curious about the world around us, we want to know how things work, who don't want to just capture the world, we want to discover and change it, we both hate getting paint under our finger-nails but aren't bothered by the art of dissection. I could go on but when you really get to know Leonardo, it's not impossible for him to have loved a women. Leonardo was a very free soul and a person like him didn't like to be tied down, and he probably saw marriage like that. He wouldn't be able to enjoy life or create/paint for fun, he would become like his master and use his talents solely for making money to support his family. I feel the same about marriage, it just seems like something that would hold me down (though I'm not lesbian or bi XD) Also, among the several rumors of the Mona Lisa, some believe Leonardo could have been her father due to the resemblance (which could also explain his great attachment to the painting). Leonardo also had a close friendship with Isabella d'Este, which says that he didn't all together avoid women.
However, this doesn't mean Leonardo couldn't love a man. Homosexuality was HUGE in the Renaissance. 1 in every 3 men were gay and it was almost something that defined masculinity during the Era. It would be no surprise if Leonardo was the same. But Leonardo's writings and notebooks show evidence of a struggle with sexuality, in a famous passage from the Notebooks Leonardo says "The act of procreation and anything that has any relation to it is so disgusting that human beings would soon die out if there were no pretty faces and sensuous dispositions" Sigmund says that Leonardo was most likely homosexual but didn't act on his desires.
Chances are, as several historians agree, Leonardo was a celibate like myself.

Gandalf-the-Fab
11-26-2009, 07:34 PM
What are you talking about sweetheart Leonardo is a total bender, but that hug scene was sooo totally cute and isnt Ezio just gourgous.

Its just so great that we finally have a gay main character in a video game.

HateCliffhanger
11-26-2009, 07:49 PM
lol sorry bout that :P
Like you I am a major history buff, and when I set my mind to something I can write a ten page report on someone's bathing habits.

I kinda beleive the Leonardo was not homosexual, but like you said he was a free spirit, and didn't want to be tied down. My current roommate whom happens to be an art major, was going on that Mona Lisa was actually theorised to be drawn as an androgynous man. I am not sure how the arguement turned out, but I beleive that the theory was disproven, but you never know.

http://portraitxpress.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/mona-lisa.jpg

UchihaKarasu
11-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Good to meet another history fanatic, most people look at me like a psycho when I talk about how much I love history, especially the Renaissance

Yeah, that is a popular belief but the Mona Lisa (which was actually never titled) is a portrait of a young noble women named Lisa Gherardini.

HateCliffhanger
11-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Eh, people don't call me a psycho for my history fanatacism, its because of my attention to the most minor details, and my infatuation with learning the different views of Lucifer. Oh, and that I play video games.

I never really understood the great interest in the Mona Lisa. The only thing I ever saw fascinating was the dark eyes, and creepy smile.

keepth3beat
11-26-2009, 08:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UchihaKarasu:
... Leonardo kind of seems nervous talking about where he had seen Antonio hanging out lately and his "mutual friend" Teodora.
Kind of makes me wonder what good old Leonardo has been up to lately http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I was kind of surprised by that reaction initially, too. I thought perhaps he was sheepish because he may have been seeing her or something.

But I mean, let's say for the sake of argument that he was gay, and he didn't really want Ezio to know (for one reason or another; maybe it was awkward for him to admit it or something)--of course he'd act as though he were a little under pressure, because he didn't want to spread any false rumors about himself seeing prostitutes (whether for pride or something else), but then again, he didn't want to seem suspicious by denying the fact that he may sleep with women.

And then there's my joke theory that Leonardo has a crush on Ezio and is flustered because the reason why he isn't sleeping with prostitutes is because he's HOPELESSLY IN LOVE WITH EZIOOOO but can't say anything~~~~

lolz.

thekyle0
11-26-2009, 09:11 PM
He also could just be embarrassed about sexual stuff. Pay attention to his facial expressions when Ezio is talking about Caterina. He looks a little awkward.

Leo could have seen Antonio at the brothel for purely innocent reasons, such as just passing down the street, and hesitated to tell Ezio how he saw Antonio because he didn't want Ezio to get the wrong idea about him. Not that Ezio would judge him at all. Speaking from experience, even I find it hard to open up to close friends without apprehension because of how they might react.

keepth3beat
11-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Italians? Embarrassed about sexual stuff?! I don't even think I comprehend what you're saying.

;P

Pitalla
11-26-2009, 09:37 PM
jezzz, how come everyone has to be gay this days?

Edengoth
11-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Because we're statistically better at landmark-based navigation?

I dunno haha, just trying to find a decent answer that didn't involve the word "fabulous".

BTW, maybe he was...ahem..."seeing" Antonio at the brothel. It'd be a great place to avoid sodomy charges, I'd wager.

thekyle0
11-26-2009, 10:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edengoth:
I dunno haha, just trying to find a decent answer that didn't involve the word "fabulous". </div></BLOCKQUOTE> "Impossible", I say!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by keepth3beat:
Italians? Embarrassed about sexual stuff?! I don't even think I comprehend what you're saying.

;P </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Even I can't comprehend what I say. If there's ever a time where you do understand then please be a fabulous deary and explain what I say to me.

m3rcer
11-26-2009, 10:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:
Even I can't comprehend what I say. If there's ever a time where you do understand then please be a fabulous deary and explain what I say to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhh... A-uh... eh. No good. Ya lost me.

Edengoth
11-26-2009, 10:42 PM
*obligatory gay comment* (possible outrage http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif , possible gushing over Leo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif ...you fill in the blanks)

UchihaKarasu
11-26-2009, 10:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HateCliffhanger:
I never really understood the great interest in the Mona Lisa. The only thing I ever saw fascinating was the dark eyes, and creepy smile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's probably all the theories behind it. The uneven landscape, Leonardo's attachment to it, the fact that there are 2 (3?) other layers underneath the finished product, the fact that the painting is technically nameless, etc.

Me? If I ever saw the Mona Lisa (which I hope to one day) I would, if possible, run my hands over and press my face to it's surface knowing that it was painted by Leonardo da Vinci http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif While every one around stared and decide to call security http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

HateCliffhanger
11-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Pfft the security guards. More like the Police with batons...and the pain....ouch

I like art and all, but frankly, I prefer the old egyptain art. Like the Giza Pyramids and such. I kinda wish that the Da-Vinci code was real though, I like Solving codes, and I just find it fascinating.

UchihaKarasu
11-26-2009, 11:07 PM
I agree, puzzles and conspiracy-thing-a-ma-doodles are fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Azugo
11-26-2009, 11:09 PM
I find solving codes boring. And I usually Google the answer...

Mitro-Blade
11-27-2009, 03:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UchihaKarasu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HateCliffhanger:
I never really understood the great interest in the Mona Lisa. The only thing I ever saw fascinating was the dark eyes, and creepy smile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's probably all the theories behind it. The uneven landscape, Leonardo's attachment to it, the fact that there are 2 (3?) other layers underneath the finished product, the fact that the painting is technically nameless, etc.

Me? If I ever saw the Mona Lisa (which I hope to one day) I would, if possible, run my hands over and press my face to it's surface knowing that it was painted by Leonardo da Vinci http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif While every one around stared and decide to call security http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> you will be heavenly dissapointed. Mona Lisa is behind glass protection and you can barely stand infront of it for like 5 seconds.

keepth3beat
11-27-2009, 03:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pitalla:
jezzz, how come everyone has to be gay this days? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait, 'these days'? Leonardo da Vinci died about 550 years ago...

Plus, gay dudes are awesome!

Oh Edengoth, I've been fawning over Leonardo da Vinci hardcore for the last week. My roommates have had to listen to me sing the 'HOLY SH*T LEONARDO DA VINCI IS MY BEST FRIEND' song multiple times.

It's a radio hit, by the way. Platinum-selling song. &gt;&gt;;;

UchihaKarasu
11-27-2009, 09:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitro-Blade:
you will be heavenly dissapointed. Mona Lisa is behind glass protection and you can barely stand infront of it for like 5 seconds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/rowaire/darth_vader_nooooooo.gif

Melonomics5
11-27-2009, 02:31 PM
What Leonardo means when he says mutual friends is that him and Antonio probably run into each other at the brothel a lot and is a little embarrased by it.

Unclaimed_Legac
11-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Leonardo Da Vinci Song? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif lol i want to hear this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

PlagueDoctor357
11-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Wait, I thought it was kind of obvious the nun remark was because she runs a ***** house.

And well, a nun....running a ***** house.

Edengoth
11-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I have to admit, my first suspicions with
"Speak with Sister Teodora."
"Sister?"
"Well, in a way."
was some kind of Renaissance-era drag queen thing. I think I was thinking of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

UchihaKarasu
11-28-2009, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PlagueDoctor357:
Wait, I thought it was kind of obvious the nun remark was because she runs a ***** house.

And well, a nun....running a ***** house. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fail to see the connection

Edengoth
11-29-2009, 09:23 PM
So who will be the ambiguously gay character in AC3? We had a gluttonous, boil-ridden murderer and an eccentric, bubbly genius. What will it be next? *wrings hands* :P

JudgeQwerty
11-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Edengoth, you have forgotten the Lionheart!! Though Richard's sexuality is more hotly debated than Leonardo's...

Assassin_M
11-30-2009, 05:22 AM
Good to meet another history fanatic, most people look at me like a psycho when I talk about how much I love history, especially the Renaissance

Yeah, that is a popular belief but the Mona Lisa (which was actually never titled) is a portrait of a young noble women named Lisa Gherardini. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> if u search a little u`l find a lot of history fanatics especially the renaissance my favorite time period i`v learned every single thing there is to learn about it yet in my country sadly people just think im a total geek for being a history fanatic huuuuuuuuuh what can i say

firewaterearth2
11-30-2009, 05:35 AM
"The act of procreation and anything that has any relation to it is so disgusting that human beings would soon die out if there were no pretty faces and sensuous dispositions"
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this quote is really by da Vinci it sounds like he was an asexual.

Neo_Age
11-30-2009, 06:00 AM
Another possibility could simply be that he doesn’t know Ezio's religious beliefs so it would be understandable for him to be nervous when mentioning Brothel and Nun in the same subject/sentience, particularly in renaissance Italy and given Leonardo’s sensitive relationship with the church in the past its understandable.

Neo_Age
11-30-2009, 06:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by firewaterearth2:
"The act of procreation and anything that has any relation to it is so disgusting that human beings would soon die out if there were no pretty faces and sensuous dispositions"
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this quote is really by da Vinci it sounds like he was an asexual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. In fact didnt Tesla have a similar train of thought?

UchihaKarasu
11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I kind of have to wonder what you mean by Leonardo being "asexual?"
I don't think humans are made to produce on their own XD

ProjectXigis
11-30-2009, 07:20 PM
It's entirely possible for him to be gay. Whenever he talks to Maria (Ezio's mother) they to have a girlfriend-type relationship. But, you know, he could be bi. I just can't really seen him as straight. But if he was, all right then.

firewaterearth2
12-01-2009, 12:44 AM
I don't think humans are made to produce on their own XD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Asexuality in humans simply means that they have no desire to have sex and usually they also don't feel any attraction towards other humans.

m3rcer
12-01-2009, 12:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by firewaterearth2:

Asexuality in humans simply means that they have no desire to have sex and usually they also don't feel any attraction towards other humans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. You're actually describing "celibacy."

Kaxen6
12-01-2009, 01:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m3rcer:

Asexuality in humans simply means that they have no desire to have sex and usually they also don't feel any attraction towards other humans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. You're actually describing "celibacy." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Asexuality is no feelings of wanting sex.

Celibacy is abstaining from sex.

firewaterearth2
12-01-2009, 01:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m3rcer:

No. People in celibacy choose to have no sex, though they have the biological desire to do so. Asexuals are just not interested by nature.

Jedted
12-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I saw Leonardo as just a nerd who doesn't have any close friends. Think about it, the dude spends all his time in his workshop and the most human contact he has is with Ezio whenever he brings him a new codex page to decipher.

I thought i was a little weird when he held his arms out to hug Ezio but i hugged him back cause i didn't want Leo to feel rejected. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

m3rcer
12-01-2009, 01:14 AM

No. People in celibacy choose to have no sex, though they have the biological desire to do so. Asexuals are just not interested by nature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.cultofmac.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

asex·u·al
Pronunciation: \(?)?-?sek-sh(?-)w?l, -shü-?l, -?sek-sh?l\
Function: adjective
Date: 1830

1 : lacking sex or functional sex organs &lt;asexual plants&gt;
2 a : involving or reproducing by reproductive processes (as cell division, spore formation, fission, or budding) that do not involve the union of individuals or gametes &lt;asexual reproduction&gt; &lt;an asexual generation&gt; b : produced by asexual reproduction &lt;asexual spores&gt;
3 : devoid of sexuality &lt;an asexual relationship&gt;

firewaterearth2
12-01-2009, 01:19 AM
I suggest you check out this http://www.asexuality.org before pulling the facepalm card.

m3rcer
12-01-2009, 01:35 AM
I suggest you check out this http://www.asexuality.org before pulling the facepalm card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I already did pull the facepalm card. So I don't need to, do I?

Besides, I thought we were talking gender and reproduction capability; And not a mental preference or choice. But what the hell...

Okay...

taken from the Overview on that site:

"Unlike celibacy, which people choose, asexuality is an intrinsic part of who we are."

cont'd

"Asexuality is just beginning to be the subject of scientific research."

Not proven. Celibacy is still correct.

Facepalm stands.

firewaterearth2
12-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Not proven, what a BS. This site is written by asexuals, believe it or not, they know best what they are. Celibacy is choosen, asexuality is not.

JudgeQwerty
12-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Are you guys still debating this...?

Realjambo
12-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Time to put this to bed - Whatever sexuality you may be...