PDA

View Full Version : Starforce

tjaika1910
03-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I read the thread following the poll on the subject and decided to check for Starforce on my computer.

I didnt think I had Starforce present but I found 6 hidden devices from Starforce. I uninstalled them all and got rid of some traces in the registry. Now my broken CDburner is able to make a single speed backup on a RW. It still have no power-good signal (eg a 48*40*12 player) but can now read a disk and possibly write too (still 15 min left of the backupburning)

The broken player is a replacement I got from a earlier broken player. Aopen had an issue with that burner and I always thought that constantly having the Pacific Fighter CD present broke it. I do not now where my Starforce came from (testet some Ubi games: Il2, FB-aep-pf, Chessmaster X and they all worked after I got rid of Starforce. POP, Splinter Cell coming with my graphics card + LockOn was already unistalled)

I voted that I buy Bob now matter what, but it seems that it could have been Starforce that was quilty of killing two CDburners of mine? And that was me not knowing I had them on my computer at all.

How to check:

Right-click on My Computer, select Properties and the Hardware tab. Enter the device manager.
Select Show hidden Devices in the View menu.

Look for Starforce. You might be surpriced too.

tjaika1910
03-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I read the thread following the poll on the subject and decided to check for Starforce on my computer.

I didnt think I had Starforce present but I found 6 hidden devices from Starforce. I uninstalled them all and got rid of some traces in the registry. Now my broken CDburner is able to make a single speed backup on a RW. It still have no power-good signal (eg a 48*40*12 player) but can now read a disk and possibly write too (still 15 min left of the backupburning)

The broken player is a replacement I got from a earlier broken player. Aopen had an issue with that burner and I always thought that constantly having the Pacific Fighter CD present broke it. I do not now where my Starforce came from (testet some Ubi games: Il2, FB-aep-pf, Chessmaster X and they all worked after I got rid of Starforce. POP, Splinter Cell coming with my graphics card + LockOn was already unistalled)

I voted that I buy Bob now matter what, but it seems that it could have been Starforce that was quilty of killing two CDburners of mine? And that was me not knowing I had them on my computer at all.

How to check:

Right-click on My Computer, select Properties and the Hardware tab. Enter the device manager.

Look for Starforce. You might be surpriced too.

foxyboy1964
03-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Does it appear in a sub menu called "non plug and play drivers"? If so I dont seem to have any SF, but its nice to know, thanks.

-HH- Beebop
03-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, well, well. I have 3 Starforce drivers on my system. I was never told they were being installed. To the best of my knowledge I have only had the FEAR and Enigma Rising Tide DEMOS on this machine.

Most games indicate that they either are, or want to, install stuff, giving you the option to say no.

This isn't right. After this I will research anything I want to install and see if StarForce or anything else is going to be installed without my permission.

I am not amused!

VW-IceFire
03-19-2006, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH- Beebop:
Well, well, well. I have 3 Starforce drivers on my system. I was never told they were being installed. To the best of my knowledge I have only had the FEAR and Enigma Rising Tide DEMOS on this machine.

Most games indicate that they either are, or want to, install stuff, giving you the option to say no.

This isn't right. After this I will research anything I want to install and see if StarForce or anything else is going to be installed without my permission.

I am not amused! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Some demos come with Starforce enabled as well...

-HH- Beebop
03-19-2006, 01:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Some demos come with Starforce enabled as well... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And why? Who's going to pirate a FREE demo?

T_O_A_D
03-19-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm clean, but the newest game I have installed is Pacific fighters.

I had no idea what SF was till all this hit the fan, So I did some research this morning, with Google.

I'm not impressed, I have found what they claim is good, and what folks say is bad. I also found ways around it.

So time will tell, I guess. I personally hope I don't have to deal with it, in the future of this Sim.

I regret I voted to buy Maddox regardless, I had no clue, I would vote no now.

Manuel29
03-19-2006, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjaika1910:

How to check:

Look for Starforce. You might be surpriced too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You make me think... I replaced a "broken" CD-Burner some months ago. Before of installing the new one I formatted my PC. I remember that I was playing GTR ( -&gt; Starforce) and I didn't install it since that day.

Now I'm going to test if the CD-Burner is "seriously" broken or what...

But a proof is my old DvD reader: it played DvD very bad... but the first days after a format it worked well.

By now I'm agree with TOAD whe he says:
"I regret I voted to buy Maddox regardless, I had no clue, I would vote no now."

slo_1_2_3
03-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Will somebody please tell me what it is and what the reason the dvd shouldnt be used if it has it?
Because as some of you may knw I've been waiting a long time to finally be able to get the full merged install and then if it has this thing which I dont know what it is, but aparently bad? I will go fricking crazy!

Enthor1
03-19-2006, 02:12 PM
slo, I think you will need to look elsewhere for Starforce info, discussion of it tends to disappear quickly around here.

Google it, there are 3 million 820 thousand references there.

slipBall
03-19-2006, 02:27 PM
And remember to say "I know nothing, nothing"

Targ
03-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Slo, Starforce is a copy protection program that comes with certain games. At the moment none of the IL2 series games have Starforce on them.
Many people do not like starforce and have reported optical drive failures due to the drivers slowing down the speed of the cd/dvd drive from ultra dma to a much slower standard.
To see if you have starforce on your computer right click my cpomputer and select properties. Select the Hardware tab and than click on device Manager.
Now select view and check show hidden devices.
You should now be able to see a tree branch in the device list that says Non-Plug and Play Drivers. Click on ther plus mark (+) to expand the tree and look for any drivers that say starforce in them.
There is a removal tool located at http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
If you have it on your computer and do not wish to have starforce drivers than use the removal tool. However you will be unable to play any games that require starforce to operate.
I hope this helps

slo_1_2_3
03-19-2006, 02:44 PM
There isn't a hardware tab when I click on properties.and if i eventually figure it out and I do have it and its not causeing any problems it should be ok to get the dvd right

O I found the device thing but I dont see any non plug or play drivers option or file there

O wrong again I found it

O look at that I am wrong about that to

fordfan25
03-19-2006, 04:44 PM
starforce is the suck be sure

bodaw
03-19-2006, 05:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Targ:
...There is a removal tool located at http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
If you have it on your computer and do not wish to have starforce drivers than use the removal tool. However you will be unable to play any games that require starforce to operate.
I hope this helps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Targ, thanks for the link, but if you scroll down and read the last paragraph or so, it states that Starforce will be reinstalled as soon as that protected application (game) was launched!!! What the heck does that mean???

I've noticed my DVD burner has been giving me lousy and erratic audio whenever I play an audio CD, Starforce could be it. I found a couple of Starforce drivers on my system as well.

Targ
03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, the bad news is that once you remove the drivers you can not play the game. If you load the game up again it will re-install the starforce drivers.

Tully__
03-19-2006, 06:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjaika1910:
I do not now where my Starforce came from (testet some Ubi games: Il2, FB-aep-pf, Chessmaster X and they all worked after I got rid of Starforce. POP, Splinter Cell coming with my graphics card + LockOn was already unistalled)too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Starforce doesn't un-install when you un-install the game it came with. You have to download and run the starforce un-installer, manually remove it or re-install windows to get rid of it.

danjama
03-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Well, im unable to check my system rite now, but im guessin i have it caus i have BIA:EIB installed. But it didnt do any damage to my system, so i dont mind. If it stops people copying and distributing illegal copies of software then thats a great thing for the market (even tho i believe were overcharged as is)

Hunter82
03-19-2006, 06:46 PM
I pray that MS when Vista comes out does not let Starforce continue to exhist...why you ask? Because Vista will protect the OS by not allowing ANY driver to be installed unless Vista OK'd...kinda like WHQL with bite http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

That means maybe Nvidia will put out a new driver more than annually that adheres to spec also mawhahahaha http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

crazyivan1970
03-19-2006, 07:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I pray that MS when Vista comes out does not let Starforce continue to exhist...why you ask? Because Vista will protect the OS by not allowing ANY driver to be installed unless Vista OK'd...kinda like WHQL with bite
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

woa.....

p.s.

B! I was calling you earlier. Do you know what`s teh main purpose of cells phones? To keep them around 24/7!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VW-IceFire
03-19-2006, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I pray that MS when Vista comes out does not let Starforce continue to exhist...why you ask? Because Vista will protect the OS by not allowing ANY driver to be installed unless Vista OK'd...kinda like WHQL with bite
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

woa.....

p.s.

B! I was calling you earlier. Do you know what`s teh main purpose of cells phones? To keep them around 24/7!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes...Vista *may* (and I hope I don't have to eat this) be the smartest OS Microsoft ever wrote. If the reports are true...

The OS will be very much locked down from interference. Sony DRM rootkit and StarForce will be things that simply cannot be tolerated...all software that need to make changes to the OS should require that the user specifically authenticate with a root/administrator password. If this goes down...companies like StarForce will have to find a more legitimate way to become part of a games install shield...this is the way it should have been done. Like I said...the product itself isn't inherently bad byitself, however, the means that it goes about its job is not good a'tall.

Targ
03-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Dude, he was soooo ignoring you.

Hunter82
03-19-2006, 07:35 PM
huh what?

Hunter82
03-19-2006, 07:35 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Hunter82
03-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Right now it looks like MS has a winner from all reports. I did not beta Vista as I had earlier version like ME and XP..just not enough hours in the day anymore lol.

It's a nice change of pace since MS focused more on security than any previous versions...windows defender looks to all but keep 95% of spyware off the system and in a sense ending the need for 3rd party spyware tools. I actually can't wait to finally get the full version and really start digging into it...could be a little exciting in a way learning all the new in and outs again

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

woa.....

p.s.

B! I was calling you earlier. Do you know what`s teh main purpose of cells phones? To keep them around 24/7!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes...Vista *may* (and I hope I don't have to eat this) be the smartest OS Microsoft ever wrote. If the reports are true...

The OS will be very much locked down from interference. Sony DRM rootkit and StarForce will be things that simply cannot be tolerated...all software that need to make changes to the OS should require that the user specifically authenticate with a root/administrator password. If this goes down...companies like StarForce will have to find a more legitimate way to become part of a games install shield...this is the way it should have been done. Like I said...the product itself isn't inherently bad byitself, however, the means that it goes about its job is not good a'tall. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hunter82
03-19-2006, 07:42 PM
lol battery is dead and forgot to charge it....wife's on the phone and blah blah blahing away with friends so no phone for me until the cell charges lol

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

woa.....

p.s.

woofiedog
03-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Thank's for the info on Starforce... surer than $--- it was on my Rig. It's history now.
As far as games I have lost... I guess I'll find out soon enough... but they will be out the Door anyway.

danjama
03-19-2006, 07:46 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

woofiedog
03-19-2006, 07:56 PM
List of Starforce Games: http://www.glop.org/starforce/list.php

7 Sins
American Conquest: Divided Nation
Ankh
Anstoss 4
Bandits: Phoenix Rising
Bet on Soldier
Beyond Divinity
Black Mirror
Blitzkrieg 2
Blitzkrieg: Rolling Thunder
Breed
Brian Lara International Cricket 2005
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon
Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
Castle Strike
Chaos League
Chaos League: Sudden Death
Codename: Outbreak
Codename: Panzers - Phase One
Codename: Panzers - Phase Two
Cold War
Colin McRae Rally 2005
Cossacks II: Napoleonic Wars
Crazy Frog Racer
Cross Racing Championship 2005
Curse: The Eye of Isis
Cycling Manager 3
Cycling Manager 4
D-Day
Dead to Rights
Demonic Speedway
Desert Rats vs Afrika Korps
Domination
Emergency Fire Response
Enigma: Rising Tide
Etherlords II
Fire Chief
Fire Department
Freedom Force vs The Third Reich
Gangland
Garfield
****a: The Mystery of Janatris
GT Legends
GTR: FIA GT Racing Game
Hammer & Sickle
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Horse Race Manager
I-Ninja
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
Keepsake
Kicker Manager 2004
Kill Switch
King Kong
Knights of the Temple 2
Korea: Forgotten Conflict
L.A. Rush
LMA Professional Manager 2005
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs
Medieval Lords
Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe Edition
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary
Neuro Hunter
Nibiru
Obscure
Pac Man World 2
Pac Man World 3
Pariah
Pax Romana
Perimeter
Perimeter: Emperor's Testament
Pferdehof - Pferd und Pony
Pop Star Academy
Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Pro Rugby Manager
Psi-Ops
Pure Pinball
Rally Championship Xtreme
Restaurant Empire
Restricted Area
Revolution
Runaway: A Road Adventure
Scrapland
Second Sight
Silent Hunter 3
Silent Storm
Silkolene Honda Motocross GP
Singles 2: Triple Trouble
Singles: Flirt Up Your Life
Sniper Elite
Soldiers Heroes of World War 2
Sommerspiele 2004
Space Rangers 2
SpellForce 2
Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory
Star Wolves
Steel Saviour
Still Life
Street Racing Syndicate
Sudeki
SuperPower 2
Syberia II
The Fall: Last Days of Gaia
The Moment of Silence
The Suffering: Ties That Bind
The Westerner
TOCA Race Driver 2 : The Ultimate Racing Simulator
TOCA Race Driver 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six : Lockdown
TrackMania
TrackMania Nations
TrackMania Sunrise
Traitors Gate 2: Cypher
Ubersoldier
UFO: Aftershock
Universal Combat: A World Apart
Universal Combat Gold
V8 Supercars 2
V8 Supercars 3
Virtual Skipper 3
Virtual Skipper 4
Vivisector
Wildlife Park
Wintersport Pro 2006
World Racing 2
World War II: Frontline Command
Worms 4: Mayhem
X3: Reunion
XIII
Xpand Rally
Xuan-Yuan Sword 4

wayno7777
03-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey woofie, thanks for the list! I checked my comp and had 2 entries, SF ver1.0 and SF ver2.0. Got rid of them. According to the list the only game I had was the King Kong demo. I agree, why do the free demos come with it if it's above board???

-HH-Quazi
03-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Sadly, I voted no in the poll. I really would love to play BoB and watch it evolve as we did IL2 FB. But if SF is a part of the mix, I just don't think I will want to take a chance on it messing anything up that pertains to my rig. Luckily, I don't play any other games or dl demos of any other games. I only have this sim installed. And if SF is part of the mix with BoB, at least what we have now will suffice for many years to come for myself and m8s. And the plus, plus side of this? I won't need to spend any $$$ to upgrade for BoB. HEHE I bet the decision to implement SF is out of Olegs' hands. I believe it is the publisher that will want to protect their investment. So I don't believe it does any good to let Oleg know how we feel, plus, I think he already knows.

tjaika1910
03-21-2006, 02:59 AM
From the game-list I have only Lockon, pluss I have tried the demo of GTR and GT legends. All those was installed after the CD burner (first one) broke. So if these games brought Starforce to my computer that is not a reason for the breakdown. The replacement never burned a CD. After a month or two it was broken, not burning (I do think) one CD. That was after Lockon etc. but there is not nessesarly a connection here.

After I uninstalled the Starforce I noticed it came back (all six hidden ide controlls) I then used a removal tool made by Starforce - sfdrvrem.exe - that seem to work.

A funny thing: before the removal the pc was at 100% workload some time (1-2 mins) after startup, now it isnt. I thought that was Norman virus controll doing work, and it probably was, but no more. It is also a 50-100 Mb less use of system cache.

I also bougth a new burner, a DVD this time. I have 200+ GB with digital 8 movies from the last 4- 5 years waiting to be edited and put on DVD :-) It better not break. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

RAF238th_Soak
03-21-2006, 04:06 AM
Be advised the Starforce removal tool doesn't remove all tracers of SF on your system.

There are still registry entries left that can be manually removed. There is more info here:

http://www.glop.org/starforce/remove.php

Going into your registry can be a risky undertaking for some.

Meprolite
03-21-2006, 05:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Some demos come with Starforce enabled as well... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is why I don't download demos anymore, and why I've only bought one PC game in the past 6 months. If Starforce was intended to make a 30+ games per year (PC & Console) consumer stop buying games, then it's doing a fantastic job.