PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Il-2 user, frustrated, minor errors...

vikingair
09-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Hello, I have bought Il2-Sturmovik Forgotten 1946, for about 2 weeks ago. I have heart so much good about the game, but it gives me so much frustration. I think there is many "in game" minor errors, or maybe it is me....! To introduce me, I will call me a experienced computer pilot. I have flown a lot of modern combat aircraft games, and that´s with succes, - the more realistic = best! But with WW2 aircraft, I am a complete novice.

To a beginning, I have started the Finnish campaign, and I have flown the first 4 missions a lot of time now, in a J8A Gladiator, and it is with this 4 missions, I will tell about my frustration. I have to say, that I haven't had any game crash or game stops, it is only in the game my frustration is.

Game version 4.08
Joystick: Saitek AV8R-01

Underneath I will try to explain some of my "in game" frustrations, and I would like to hear your experience to it.

1. My team mates are flying faster than I do. After takeoff (I am always number 6, and last), the first 4 aircraft are allready far away, and the 5th aircraft I try to follow, but I'm going longer and longer behind him. If I give full trottle (110 %) I can follow him, but then I burn to much fuel off. If he ascent, I can't follow him at all. My monitor is showing 110% trottle, so I don't think it is my joystick. Another speed issue is in dogfight. If I am so lucky to be in a dogfight, and try to catch a enemy, I see my team mates overhauls me in our purcuit, and it is still, if I fly with full trottle. I know the Gladiator is a slow aircraft, but shouldn't I be able to follow the other AI Gladiators?

2. Under takeoff, I think the Gladiator accelerate too slow . Special in the first 10-15 sec, there isn't much speed. I don't think it is like in the real world. It looks like it too much underpowered, under t/o.

3. I have noticed, if I use "time acceleration" the aircraft use much more fuel, than if I am flying with normal speed. I have tried to fly with about 80% trottle, and 4 time acc. I run out of fuel before I came to the battle area.

4. Then I return from a mission, I ask for permission to land, and allways gets it. In the first missions my team mates never gets permissions to land. They circling around the airfield, and ask for permission to land again and again, but they never gets it. I tried to let my mission be open, after I landed in about 10 min, but they didn't never get permission to land. And there wasn't any other traffic in the airfield. In mission 4, 1 aircraft didn't ever get a permission to land. 4 of us was landed, but he didn't never get it.

5. flying ability. The aircraft are very unstable. If I flying just strait, and watch the aircraft from external view (F2), I see how the rudder/aileons shaking side to side/up and down very very fast. I have tried to change the axis sensitivity curves, in the input menu. It helps a little, but not much.

Do you have the same experiences, or am I doing something wrong.

Best regards

Henrik the Viking

vikingair
09-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Hello, I have bought Il2-Sturmovik Forgotten 1946, for about 2 weeks ago. I have heart so much good about the game, but it gives me so much frustration. I think there is many "in game" minor errors, or maybe it is me....! To introduce me, I will call me a experienced computer pilot. I have flown a lot of modern combat aircraft games, and that´s with succes, - the more realistic = best! But with WW2 aircraft, I am a complete novice.

To a beginning, I have started the Finnish campaign, and I have flown the first 4 missions a lot of time now, in a J8A Gladiator, and it is with this 4 missions, I will tell about my frustration. I have to say, that I haven't had any game crash or game stops, it is only in the game my frustration is.

Game version 4.08

Underneath I will try to explain some of my "in game" frustrations, and I would like to hear your experience to it.

1. My team mates are flying faster than I do. After takeoff (I am always number 6, and last), the first 4 aircraft are allready far away, and the 5th aircraft I try to follow, but I'm going longer and longer behind him. If I give full trottle (110 %) I can follow him, but then I burn to much fuel off. If he ascent, I can't follow him at all. My monitor is showing 110% trottle, so I don't think it is my joystick. Another speed issue is in dogfight. If I am so lucky to be in a dogfight, and try to catch a enemy, I see my team mates overhauls me in our purcuit, and it is still, if I fly with full trottle. I know the Gladiator is a slow aircraft, but shouldn't I be able to follow the other AI Gladiators?

2. Under takeoff, I think the Gladiator accelerate too slow . Special in the first 10-15 sec, there isn't much speed. I don't think it is like in the real world. It looks like it too much underpowered, under t/o.

3. I have noticed, if I use "time acceleration" the aircraft use much more fuel, than if I am flying with normal speed. I have tried to fly with about 80% trottle, and 4 time acc. I run out of fuel before I came to the battle area.

4. Then I return from a mission, I ask for permission to land, and allways gets it. In the first missions my team mates never gets permissions to land. They circling around the airfield, and ask for permission to land again and again, but they never gets it. I tried to let my mission be open, after I landed in about 10 min, but they didn't never get permission to land. And there wasn't any other traffic in the airfield. In mission 4, 1 aircraft didn't ever get a permission to land. 4 of us was landed, but he didn't never get it.

5. flying ability. The aircraft are very unstable. If I flying just strait, and watch the aircraft from external view (F2), I see how the rudder/aileons shaking side to side/up and down very very fast. I have tried to change the axis sensitivity curves, in the input menu. It helps a little, but not much.

Best regards

Henrik the Viking

UgoRipley
09-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Welcome, and don't let this annoyances settle you back. 1946 has its pros and cons, but it's currently the best one out there. Gain some skill with the aircrafts you like and then come fly online, less stupid AI there!

About your #1 point, it's just a known "bug", no need to get frustrated.
The AI is definetely faster than humans flying the same aircrafts.

2) I've no experience with Gladiators, if you feel it's underpowered don't expect 100% faithfulness to real life performances. Some aircraft are better modelled than others.

3) Fuel flow with time compression, don't know !!

4) AI is stupid !! Kind of...

5) Makes me ring a bell, could be an old issue, maybe someone else can help. What's your graphics specs (card/driver) ?

vikingair
09-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for your answers. About #5, my videocard is a Nvidia Geforce 7950GX2 with 1024 mb ram, and my driver is Forceware 163.75.

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Number 5 sounds like it might be your joystick sending a jittery signal, try turning up the filter setting in the input menu for all axis, that should help.

-HH-Quazi
09-19-2008, 03:17 PM
The best way to catch the AI after takeoff is to open your radiator, use 100% throttle, and keep your ascent at a lower angle than the AI does. This allows you to attain the speed to catch-up eventually. And by the time you catch up the AI will probably be throttled back to cruise so you should be able to climd up to their altitude without loosing touch. At least this is how I have managed to do it.

As far as running out of fuel...if your fuel load isn't locked out make sure you take enough to get to the target location and back. Each grid is the equivalent of ten clicks running north to south or east to west. But from corner to corner which would be from northeast to southwest or northwest to southeast the grids are fourteen clicks long. So when looking at the map and your waypoints you can get an idea of how long of a flight it will be to get to the target area and back. Set your fuel loadout accordingly.

Sometimes the AI will ask permission to land and sometimes they will just fly around the airfeild(s) after completing a mission. This is determined by mission parameters or by the mission creator. For instance if the mission maker doesn't put landing waypoints back at your home airfield the flight will not ask permission to land.

And learn to trim out your aircraft for flight. I find rudder trim to be constantly in need of adjusting depending on throttle setting and speed of your ac. And for cruising learn how to trim your elevators.

M_Gunz
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vikingair:
1. My team mates are flying faster than I do. After takeoff (I am always number 6, and last), the first 4 aircraft are allready far away, and the 5th aircraft I try to follow, but I'm going longer and longer behind him. If I give full trottle (110 %) I can follow him, but then I burn to much fuel off. If he ascent, I can't follow him at all. My monitor is showing 110% trottle, so I don't think it is my joystick. Another speed issue is in dogfight. If I am so lucky to be in a dogfight, and try to catch a enemy, I see my team mates overhauls me in our purcuit, and it is still, if I fly with full trottle. I know the Gladiator is a slow aircraft, but shouldn't I be able to follow the other AI Gladiators? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try and help you with this one first. It's not a bug except for the one behind the joystick
which you can prove to yourself without a huge effort.

Steps:
&gt;&gt; Don't leave the ground as soon as possible. Get that extra speed, up to 200 kph first.
&gt;&gt; After you takeoff, stay low and build speed even after getting gear and flaps up and just
slowly rise those first few 10's of meters unless of course there's an obstacle to clear.
&gt;&gt; Do NOT point your nose up at your flight already far ahead and climbing and expect to catch
them until you have very good speed to do so. This is where new players usually miss the boat.
&gt;&gt; You need to make well over your best climb rate speed to catch up not only altitude but
distance so stay down until you're moving well over the mission cruise speed. You -are- the
tail end Charley and you have some making up to do. Get cranking along 360 kph or more at
200m above ground or less and then point the nose below your flight and don't raise it up to
them until you are just a few kilometers away and need to start slowing down so you don't go
right by them. They will be going 300-some kph depending on the plane and the mission.

Nose high flying and turns is how to run slow even at high power settings. You plook yourself
doing that, every time you do that. Get the nose down until your speed is right or your speed
will never -be- right. Fly by your speedometer, you should always be aware of your speed and
do what it takes to keep that up as a priority only less than a very few others. The very few
others are life and death kind of things but even then your speed is something you should know.

Climb by what your speed is, not by watching your rate of climb except to avoid obstacles and
climbouts where enemy are not anywhere near. It's silly to get slow otherwise and worse to
stay slow.

M_Gunz
09-19-2008, 03:20 PM
d@mn, some of you guys type fast. I started that last post, there was only 1 reply!

VW-IceFire
09-19-2008, 04:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vikingair:

Best regards

Henrik the Viking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Not uncommon for a new pilot to be left behind by the AI. The AI fly more efficiently than the average human pilot and thus manage to fly faster. Focus on smooth flying and having a properly trimmed aircraft. If you need more information on trimming let us know...its vital for flying.

2) Not sure what you're basing this on but the Gladiator was, even in WWII, an old and largely obsolete aircraft with comparatively poor performance. I don't find it surprising that it or the other biplanes with similar power/weight attributes in the game start up rather slowly.

3) Not sure about this. Never done any calculations to compare. Please share with us your information.

4) Sounds a bit unusual. Never witnessed such an event. I do a fair bit if mission building and the AI will always arrive back at base, enter into a landing pattern, and land. Unless you're the wingleader in which case you have to give them permission to return to base via radio commands.

5) This sounds like an old bug in an old version of the software (but I see that you have IL-2 1946) ...OR...something is wrong with your stick. Check to make sure that its plugged in properly, that its getting enough power, and check the settings and make sure that everything is as it should be.

Also note that planes in IL-2 are modeled with a fair degree of realism. A typical WWII plane will not fly straight and level without some kind of intervention. This is where trim and trimming a plane effectively comes into form.

I'd also suggest trying out some other types of aircraft and see if the behavior is the same or different. Quick mission builder is a good place for that.

ImMoreBetter
09-19-2008, 05:29 PM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The AI has a bit simpler flight model than human controlled aircraft, most notably in this situation, the AI don't overheat and can fly at 110% all day. They also trim their planes like a robot, and don't have to deal with micro-shivers in joystick calibration.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Icefire said, the Gladiator was an outdated aircraft in WWII.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never heard of this. Did you mistakenly take too little fuel when you set up your airplane for that mission?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is because the game does not recognize that you are done and out of the way with your landing. Try taxing off the runway and park next to the hangers and shut off your engine. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to either end the mission or bail out.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For flapping control surfaces, try calibrating your stick, and make sure it is plugged in properly. My X52 has a knob on the side of the stick that has several different settings of programming modes, does the Av8r have a similar feature? Make sure it's turned to the right position.

M_Gunz
09-20-2008, 05:02 AM
Not to be bending your wing Icefire but what you said about AI being so much better than pilots...

Yes the AI is always fantastic with the stick, I do agree. But in the case of taking off last of
your mission team and not catching up before long it's another matter altogether.

I say that because by flying like a pilot and not like an arcade gamer the feat is easily done.
In fact it's harder to not overshoot, to hold formation, than it is to catch up.

Really there's too many gamers who think they are equal to pilots just by spending hours flying
PC sims when that's not at all true, esp for the ones that run up scores against other gamers
while training themselves into some really bad habits. Compared to them, the AI is uber.

Contrast to them I've known real pilots online that the AI doesn't stand a prayer, just like me!
Well, okay, in poor visibility that's not true and maybe in some other condition but these guys
do not consider the AI to be a threat or anything difficult to keep up with.

There's a big difference between those who went to ground school and learned to fly as if their
life depended on it (because.. it does) and someone who jumps behind a monitor and joystick and
either self-learns or picks up a few tips and runs from there right into the shooting part.
The latter group are going to compare poorly to the AI for a lot longer if not forever, it is
possible to learn much through gaming but there's no guarantee! Real pilots ain't perfect either
but they don't get to solo without reaching some level of competence.

M_Gunz
09-20-2008, 05:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ImMoreBetter:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For flapping control surfaces, try calibrating your stick, and make sure it is plugged in properly. My X52 has a knob on the side of the stick that has several different settings of programming modes, does the Av8r have a similar feature? Make sure it's turned to the right position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the stick is spiking then cleaning the pots out with tuner spray can work wonders.
If the stick is loose or hand is not steady or can't get to the pots then there is another
way to at least tone that down --- add Filter on the sensitivity sliders.

vikingair
09-20-2008, 05:57 AM
First of all, thanks for all the replies... I will try to explain/answer you all here.

About running out off fuel. It is in the same mission (mission 2 in finnish campaign). I have flown the same campaign again and again and again, and if I fly with 4x or 8x speed to the battlefield, I sometimes run out of fuel before I gets there. And it is with about 80-90% trottle. If I fly in normal speed mode, I have enough fuel to fly to the battlefield and fight, and back again. No problems there. In the missions, I have never changed the fuel settings, actually i think it is locked.

One give me the advise after takeoff to level out to a speed about 200 kph, before I ascent. I'm not sure the Gladiator can reach that speed at all...

About my complain at takeoff. Off course I have never flown a Gladiator in real life, but I have been flying simulators since a fast computer was a 286SX (year 1985). I have flown a lot of hours in a real piper 28, and with that experiences, I think the Gladiator is much under powered the first 10-15 sec in the takeoff. Off course there are a big difference between a Gladiator and a real Piper 28, but a Piper 28 only needs a little bit trottle to taxie around, there the Gladiator in IL2 must have almost full power in maybe 5 sec, just before the wheels are rolling. I don't believe that can be true....

About my joystick and the unstable aircraft, I will try to calibrate it, but I fly a lot of hours in FS2004, FSX, F-16 Fighting Falcon, Lock-On, just to say a few, and there isn't any problems at all.

Regards

Henrik Viking

squareusr
09-20-2008, 10:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">About running out off fuel. It is in the same mission (mission 2 in finnish campaign). I have flown the same campaign again and again and again, and if I fly with 4x or 8x speed to the battlefield, I sometimes run out of fuel before I gets there. And it is with about 80-90% trottle. If I fly in normal speed mode, I have enough fuel to fly to the battlefield and fight, and back again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A stick that produces a jittery signal (for whatever reason) could very well cause higher fuel consumption in accellerated mode: in normal speed mode (or in slowed down mode even) each small deviation in the stick signal will be countered by a deviation in the opposite direction after a very short period of in-game time. Before that happens, the plane's attitude will diverge from the overall movement vector by an additional small angle until it is compensated by the next opposite jitter.

In time-accellerated mode, certainly the same thing will happen. The difference is, that each deviation of the stick signal will last longer in in-game time, causing the peaks in the plane's attitude divergence to be much bigger, which would inevitably cause a higher fuel consumption.

I still would not rule out the possibility of some small time-acceleration induced inconsistencies in the fuel consumption formula remaining undiscovered over the years of this sim's existence, since most IL-2 users would not care about fuel consumption half as much as they do about performance parameters directly related to combat. Also, most of the more investigative people rarely fly offline, so the time-acceleration feature isn't very visible to them.

vikingair
09-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Maybe you have a point here. I will try and look at my joystick.
Thank you, for all your replys and advices.

Viking

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Remember, if the stick is jittery turning up the filer setting on each axis will help, the filter averages your inputs over a certain time (the higher the setting, the more time is averaged) so it will help eliminate, or at least reduce, these jitters.

Xiolablu3
09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Its wierd, I have never had any trouble keeping up with the AI pilots.

I thin it must be some peoples style of flying which means they dont get enoungh speed.

Remember that you need to build up speed, it doesnt just happen. Try pointing your nose down a little to build up high speed, then climb at a shallow angle, but fast speed. Rather than at a high angle and low speed.

SaQSoN
09-22-2008, 06:55 PM
1. The AI planes always control their plane "perfectly". In other words, their aircraft always flies straight, with minimum energy (or lift) loss from side slipping or flying with roll.

You also loose speed due to constant control surface deflection, as described in p.5., which generates additional drag.

First, fix your joystick, second - try flying straight, keeping the ball in side slip indicator centered.

2. WWII aircraft do not have afterburner in their backs, like a modern jet fighters. They DO accelerate relatively (to a modern jet) slow.

3. As someone suggested, check your fuel load before starting the mission. It may happen, that you try to fly a long range mission with 25% fuel load.

4. The problem caused by the fact, that the landing strip is occupied by already landed aircraft. That is why traffic controller doesn't give the permission. Could it be that you yourself haven't cleared the strip after landing?

5. Check your joystick through Windows control panel. If cross hair and gauges, representing your joystick axles jump there as well, then try calibrating your joystick. If the problem persists - replace it with a new one.

Buzzsaw-
09-22-2008, 07:17 PM

Game version 4.08

Best regards

Henrik the Viking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Salute

As Icefire mentioned, which may have been lost in all the other advice, you need to TRIM your aircraft.

The Gladiator may be obsolete, but unlike a lot of planes, it does have adjustable trim.

Most important to gain maximum speed is to have your aircraft trimmed to fly straight and level with hands off.

You need to allocate keys or wheels to trim function.

I allocate the middle wheel of my mouse to elevator trim and a couple buttons on my joystick to rudder trim.

Set your throttle, then using the trim adjusters, get your aircraft so that it will fly straight and level with your hands off the joystick.

You should notice a gain in speed.

Cheers RAF74 Buzzsaw

WTE_Galway
09-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Congratulations on choosing the Gladiator. The Gladiator is my second favorite plane in the game (my favorite is the Emil). Unfortunately the Gladiator DGEN built in campaigns are among the more difficult for new players. Its possible for even an experienced player to go several missions in a row without scoring anything.

The Gladiator had an 850 hp Bristol Mercury radial engine and was a biplane ... it can turn on a dime but its acceleration and speed are not good. It along with contemporaries like the the I153, Fiat CR42 and the Avia Bk534 (not in the game) were probably the ultimate developments of the biplane fighter but a biplane is still a biplane.

The attraction of biplanes is the turn amazingly well but the downside is the traditional airframes were unsuited to powerful engines and difficult to mount cannons on, whilst the wing arrangement limited top speed and interfered with visibilty.

Unfortunately we do not have a DGEN campaign that really suits the Gladiator. A Malta campaign would have been excellent with Gladiators vs Fiats. The historical DGEN campaigns we do have you tend to be climbing to intercept bombers which, once they drop the bombs are just as fast as you and often get away. This is historically correct but not necessarily fun for the player.

My advice on keeping up with the AI is trim the plane and keep your speed between 170 and 190 kmh and resist the temptation to pull back on the stick. Just let the aircraft climb at its own rate.

My other suggestions is go to Mission 4 Today or Flying Legends and download some of the free addon missions or campaigns for the country and period you want to fly.

M_Gunz
09-23-2008, 12:19 AM
www dot lowengrin dot com

vikingair
09-28-2008, 03:22 AM
Now, I have flown a lot more hours in the Gladiator, and I'm now more comfortable with the plane.
You have all right, then you say it is all about trim, If I have to follow the group. So good... But:

About fuel burn, I have noted, that then I fly with time acceleration, the aircraft speeds up, and there for use more fuel. Let me explain. I fly in "normal acc. mode", trim my aircraft as good as I can, fly level,80% trottle, it gives a speed at about 110 KIAS. Then I use "4 time acc", I hear the engine speeds up, and suddently I fly with 150-160 KIAS. So I think it is the reason for the high fuel burn in "acc mode".

About my group members woun't land, one of you say it's because I have to clear the runway. How do I do that? I see no places to do that. I think I have found a way to let the hole group land. If I don't ask for landing permission, before all other are landed, then they will all land. It is a thing I have noticed in the last, so I'm not 100% sure it works all the time.

Henrik Viking

Sillius_Sodus
09-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Hello and welcome Vikingair,

If you find you are always falling behind your flight, engage the autopilot ("a" key). Your aircraft will catch up, then you can take over the controls again. After you disengage the autopilot don't forget to cycle the throttle a bit to regain proper control of it.

GHost_Sqd
01-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I dare anyone to try and keep up with the AI, vanila carrer, Leningrad mission USSR flying the I-16 in 1946 while chasing enemy fighters. On route to mission coordinates yes but when they spot enemy fighters in the distance, forget it you are not catching them.
Those planes don't seem to have any trim to trim for speed.

Aaron_GT
01-04-2009, 10:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. I have noticed, if I use "time acceleration" the aircraft use much more fuel, than if I am flying with normal speed. I have tried to fly with about 80% trottle, and 4 time acc. I run out of fuel before I came to the battle area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An explanation for this might be that you are flying less smoothly when in 4x acceleration (which might make sense if you are having joystick spikes) or you need to fly at the most economical speed as that is what has been used by the mission designer. If the latter try reducing engine rpm.