PDA

View Full Version : Engine DM

Monson74
06-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Often when a plane is hit in the engine the prop stops instantly. Is this realistic? I mean if it stops so suddenly wouldn't the prop be thrown off or disintegrate?

Monson74
06-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Often when a plane is hit in the engine the prop stops instantly. Is this realistic? I mean if it stops so suddenly wouldn't the prop be thrown off or disintegrate?

73GIAP_Milan
06-13-2005, 10:10 AM
I can imagine this being real in alot of cases where for example a cannonshell explodes inside the engine and destroys enough to make it stop instantly, but i guess that would NOT account for the prop really, as the gear between the engine and prop would have to grind to a halt first.

I would suspect a hit to the prop/propgear that it would grind up first, or completely blow the prop to bits. A hit in the engine would seize the engine up (either slow or fast related to the damage) and then that the prop would stop aswell, but not instantly after the engine dies, for that the forces would be imho too much.

-- this post was made with the help of some logical sense, not actual experience with demolishing/demolished engines -- http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Monson74
06-13-2005, 01:03 PM
When I was a kid a friend & I had a small off-roader that we used to race the woods on. One day the chain broke while my buddy was going uphill at full power - I didn't actually see what happened but it sounded as if it reved up to a hysterical height & then stopped instantly - silence. The piston had melted inside the combustion chamber & we couldn't move it. I was just thinking that if a large engine was halted instantly there would be a tremendous amount of kinetic energy in need to go somewhere - where would it go?

StellarRat
06-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Modeling a gradual spin down would be cool and all, but I don't think it's worth Oleg's time. I think the prop stops because your engine is torn up inside.