PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything to talk about story wise?

joshoolhorst
03-09-2018, 04:25 PM
I have never seen a Forum so silent after a game releases definitely one that was hyped and praised on release by critics and fans.

ModernWaffle
03-09-2018, 09:39 PM
It is quite weird. I guess in terms of gameplay most of the fans and critics were overall pleased so all there is to 'discuss' is how they nailed it. On the other hand, the story was so mundane that neither the plot nor its characters invites any interesting discourse. I mean the exception is Bayek which nearly everyone seems to find a likable protagonist but the lack of development for side characters meant he had no meaningful interactions etc.

I think if anything what I took most from Origins is that I want an even longer break before we get another AC game. Sure, the story let it down a bit but it's absolutely amazing what they with achieved with Origins and that's only with a two year interval break. AC still has so much potential and it's the one video game series that I feel hooked to so I want them to take a massive break and come back with something even more spectacular.

AnimusLover
03-10-2018, 02:59 AM
I've said it before: Origins has the second worst story and MD after Unity.
There's really nothing to talk about. They failed to answer the basic question of how the Brotherhood started in a way that makes sense, failed to answer many of the mysteries of the Origins and made no attempt to move MD forward.

ModernWaffle
03-10-2018, 01:55 PM
I've said it before: Origins has the second worst story and MD after Unity.
There's really nothing to talk about. They failed to answer the basic question of how the Brotherhood started in a way that makes sense, failed to answer many of the mysteries of the Origins and made no attempt to move MD forward.

I think narrative wise, the Brotherhood should have been founded halfway through the story then they would have had some time to elaborate how the key features of the creed came to be. The Hidden Ones DLC begins to touch on this but equally it ends just as it begins to do so. Though if they are planning a Bayek sequel maybe they were trying to save up some of the explanations for later, but who knows at this point.

Megas_Doux
03-10-2018, 09:49 PM
This is weird!

I mean, I love Bayek's va and some of the quests but the core of the story is rather weak, yet this is probably my favorite AC to date purely on gameplay.

cawatrooper9
03-12-2018, 02:22 PM
This is weird!

I mean, I love Bayek's va and some of the quests but the core of the story is rather weak, yet this is probably my favorite AC to date purely on gameplay.

Yeah, I think that's part of the reason why there's been such a big shift in community discussion lately- instead of speculating on certain MD theories or story-related items, most threads the past few months have been more about various weapon releases or in game events like Trials of the Gods. Makes sense, with the level of continual support Origins is getting, but still... I miss you guys and our crazy theories!

AnimusLover
03-14-2018, 01:03 PM
I think narrative wise, the Brotherhood should have been founded halfway through the story then they would have had some time to elaborate how the key features of the creed came to be. The Hidden Ones DLC begins to touch on this but equally it ends just as it begins to do so. Though if they are planning a Bayek sequel maybe they were trying to save up some of the explanations for later, but who knows at this point.

Agree completely. They basically pulled a Black Flag again.
That's disappointing to hear about THO DLC (which I don't plan on purchasing until about 6 months time when the game is actually finished, tired of all these patches). I don't even understand how that's possible seeing as the title implies it's about Bayek as a newly born Assassin. Then again, a title like AC Origins also promised that and look what happened.