PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the Damage Model in This game?

IL46_Pilot
04-03-2007, 04:41 AM
Just a quick question about the damage model of IL-2 1946.

when i was flying A BF-109 against a friendly HE-111, After a couple of short bursts, the left wing broke off the He-111.

Is that realistic for damage model?

Because to me it doesn't seem that realistic for a Bombers wing to fall off after a couple of hits.

IL46_Pilot
04-03-2007, 04:41 AM

when i was flying A BF-109 against a friendly HE-111, After a couple of short bursts, the left wing broke off the He-111.

Because to me it doesn't seem that realistic for a Bombers wing to fall off after a couple of hits.

WWSensei
04-03-2007, 04:46 AM
Depends on what you shot it with and where you hit. You damage a significant support structure and it's possible. Also, if you are hammering it with 20mm or 30mm it's going to pop off easier than with 7.7mm.

Lastly, make sure you have checked Realistic Gunnery in the difficulty settings. Not having that selected means your weapons are amped up and then the problem is user error and not DM. ;-)

GreyKnight1971
04-03-2007, 04:46 AM
I'm not an expert on the different weapon loadouts of every A/C, but you do realise there are smaller Machine Guns and larger calibre cannons mounted?

You probably hit the 111 with the cannons.

Nothing much wrong with damage modelling. Unlike console games and other crappier flight sims, aircraft don't always EXPLODE in to smithereens all the time.

Chris0382
04-03-2007, 04:55 AM
Ive seen lots of video were the wing structure fails and the wing easlily breaks off. Those wings are under constant bending tension,fatigue, and vibrations.

My problem is the oppositie. I shot a plane apart it was going down in flames and magically extinguished (the bionic fire extinguisher) its self and came back up and was on my 6 shooting at me as I was ahead of it going after his wingman.

Zonama
04-03-2007, 05:22 AM
That does sound bizarre, but a sharp dive can extinguish a fire.

XyZspineZyX
04-03-2007, 06:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IL46_Pilot:

Because to me it doesn't seem that realistic for a Bombers wing to fall off after a couple of hits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, any modeling in any simulation is a compromise between resources, playability, and real-world accuracy

In the case of the wing coming off, it may not be realistic that it came off the way it did. The simulation may have calculated damage greater than the structure is capable of taking, and the result is "loss of wing". The sim make be dealing with a compromise here, to show the result, and it may be too "black and white"

The compromise might be: instead of showing the wing gradually deforming to catastrophic failure while fluttering from the damage withstood, the sim shows the wing immediately come off, because that is the end result. Showing the type of graphical detail involved with the gradual failure of the wing is resource-prohibitive, just as it cannot graphically show, for reasons of PC power, the effects of fabric covered control surfaces "ballooning", which really did and can happen in the real world. But the sim may show the *effects* of that ballooning, by making the controls less effective in some situations, which is another compromise. It is not possible with today's home computers to simulate every failure mode in real time

However, by the same token, what makes you feel that the wing breaking off is "unrealistic"? By this I mean what do you base this opinion on, and what has made you expect this behavior is abnormal? The sim does track G loading, and it is possible that the damage you dealt out was enough to break the wing based on the stress the wing was under, combined with the damage from your (potentially explosive cannon shell) strikes

Da_Godfatha
04-04-2007, 12:58 PM
No one really wants to admit it..... but since the 4.08 patch, the DM is really FUBAR. Sorry Fanboi's, but it is true. Wings falling off, plane breaking apart at the smallest hit. The PK's have always been extreme, but it seems that hardly any plane has armor anymore. Not to mention that when a raindrop hits your plane you get the famous "FUEL TANK LEAK". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Such a good game to be messed up so bad in the end-phase. Don't believe the "you must have been hit by cannons!" BS.

IMO, the DM has always been the weak part of this game. Some planes Jedi-Knight armor, others paper thin.

PBNA-Boosher
04-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm not seeing any major DM problems in 4.08m. My guns do the job fine and so do the enemy's. Just because a plane has armor doesn't mean that well placed shots can't bring it down with minor hits. Besides, no matter how heavily armored a plane is, it's still a hunk material in the sky. Lose enough lift or thrust in the right place and you're going down.

VW-IceFire
04-04-2007, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:
No one really wants to admit it..... but since the 4.08 patch, the DM is really FUBAR. Sorry Fanboi's, but it is true. Wings falling off, plane breaking apart at the smallest hit. The PK's have always been extreme, but it seems that hardly any plane has armor anymore. Not to mention that when a raindrop hits your plane you get the famous "FUEL TANK LEAK". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Such a good game to be messed up so bad in the end-phase. Don't believe the "you must have been hit by cannons!" BS.

IMO, the DM has always been the weak part of this game. Some planes Jedi-Knight armor, others paper thin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most planes don't have armor BTW. Some had small armor plates...mostly just to protect the pilot. Some tougher planes like the FW190 had an armor strip around the engine cowling but thats it. The P-47 actually had very little armor but the turbosupercharger gear in the rear fuselage stopped allot of bullets too.

DM is a bit odd in this game and some of it has to do with having old planes in the game with less detailed DM's balanced against new planes with much more detail. Still...the wings breaking off its quite realistic by gun camera footage standards. If you can go by that I mean.

But I don't find it unusual to see a Heinkel loose a wing if you hit it repeatedly in the same spot or nailed it with a couple of MK108 cannons.