PDA

View Full Version : Why still Constantinople after 1453?

EmperorLV1996
07-17-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm really angry because the game developers just named the map of Istanbul as 'Constantinople. In game you can see Ottoman soldiers which means Ottoman Empire already captured Constantinople.. Which means it' past 1453.

Thank you for you attention and please deal your opinion with us.

EmperorLV1996
07-17-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm really angry because the game developers just named the map of Istanbul as 'Constantinople. In game you can see Ottoman soldiers which means Ottoman Empire already captured Constantinople.. Which means it' past 1453.

Thank you for you attention and please deal your opinion with us.

LightRey
07-17-2011, 03:31 AM
The name 'Istanbul' wasn't its official name until the creation of the Turkish Republic in 1923. Before then a variety of names was used, including Constantinople.

Turkiye96
07-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Welcome to the forum! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
this is sort of a grey area. See after Fatih Sultan Mehmet had conquered Constantinople in 1453, he dubbed it ''Istanbul'' ( and it wasn't written on paper) and then life went on. ''Istanbul'' didn't catch on in Europe and even Istanbul itself ( however the royal family and the higher classes would refere to it is ''Istanbul'') this carryed on until the 1923 when the Ottoman Empire had ended and the Republic of Turkey had just been created and in the process, the settlements name was changed to Istanbul officially (on paper). and then people started to use Istanbul a lot more but the end of people using Constantinople wasn't until around the 1960's.

see some people say that it wasn't official and thus it isn't
others say that when a sultan dubs his own city, in the 1400's thats pretty official.

and so the debate still goes on... even today, Greek maps show the City's name to be Constantinople

in my opinion, the animus should refere to the City as ''Istanbul'' while the lower classes should use Constantinople and the upper class should use Istanbul and so on... (to be historically accurate that is)

Also there is already another thread with the same topic ( but its pretty old and and nobody posts on it anymore...)

kriegerdesgottes
07-17-2011, 02:03 PM
This again? It will always be the city of Constantinople to me.

Leon.VS
07-18-2011, 02:24 PM
I'd prefer calling it Constantinople. Mainly because I like that name more than Istanbul. And because I'm European.

Actually... I don't care...

albertwesker22
07-18-2011, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leon.VS:
I'd prefer calling it Constantinople. Mainly because I like that name more than Istanbul. And because I'm European.

Actually... I don't care... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah and the Turks that call it Istanbul are also European.

LightRey
07-18-2011, 04:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by albertwesker22:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leon.VS:

Yeah and the Turks that call it Istanbul are also European. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's debatable. Not to mention Turkey isn't part of the EU.

Turkiye96
07-18-2011, 05:37 PM
in my opinion, which is completly bias ( I am Turk after all) It should be called Istanbul and mabye some biasism was going on back then, i mean Europe frowned upon islam at the time and the Ottoman Empire was almost a symbol of it. see nobody says that ''dubbing'' is legitimate for Istanbul but if we look at England, we see their Royal family had the ability to ''dub'' people as knights and thats official, nobody questions them... so why would the word of the Ottoman royals be and different...
im i bit disapointed that the demo refered it as ''Constantinople'' historically, its a let down for me :/

i mean there is nothing wrong with liking ''Constantinople'' over ''Istanbul'' as a name but give credit where it is due...

albertwesker22
07-18-2011, 05:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by albertwesker22:

That's debatable. Not to mention Turkey isn't part of the EU. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well they are certainly not Asian's. They look no different than any other mixed European country.

Being in the EU is not what makes one European. Ancestry and your homeland is what makes you European. A big number of the Turks are white(white like a Spaniard, Italian, Greek, French, English ect) While others are more dark skinned(probably from Asian ancestry).

I'd call them Europeans, but you're right, its debatable.

Turkiye96
07-18-2011, 05:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

That's debatable. Not to mention Turkey isn't part of the EU. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
the fact that Turkey isn't in the EU is because it isn't beneficial to the EU for Turkey to join and because Turkey's laws are not in exact alignment with that of the EU ( even though other countries have entered without laws up to EU standards) and countries with poor relations with Turkey ( that are in the EU ) are against the idea is turkey would be given a powerful vote ( because of its population) But i digress as that isn't a topic related to this forum.

see, purely genetically speaking i am to belive that ''Turks'' as a race originated from the altay mountains north of mongolia and in the flat steppe regions around it as a nomadic people, that later on moved west ( im pretty sure atila the hun was Turkic) and to asia minor then into europe as the ottomans, in this time a lot of interacial breeding went on, just like in America. and so quite a few Turks will have European blood in them just as the balkans have some Turkish genes...

but i dont see what the genes you are born with have to do with the name of a settlement...

but see another important thing to concider is the cultural legacy the Turks have inherited, and on that front, i would say Turkey is European, ( but i am basing this on what i'v seen in Istanbul not the whole of Turkey)

but this but this whole post is off topic lets get back to the thread.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LightRey
07-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Well they are certainly not Asian's. They look no different than any other mixed European country.

Being in the EU is not what makes one European. Ancestry and your homeland is what makes you European. A big number of the Turks are white(white like a Spaniard, Italian, Greek, French, English ect) While others are more dark skinned(probably from Asian ancestry).

I'd call them Europeans, but you're right, its debatable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It makes one a European citizen.
I don't know how exactly you're trying to define "Asian", but the peoples of Asia are just as diverse as those of Europe. Furthermore there's the fact that there's a pretty strongly defined cultural border, especially compared to those between European countries, because the majority of Turkish citizens is Muslim, while the majority of Europeans is either Christian or atheist.
Basically if you look at it historically Turkey is as much part of Europe as Morocco.

albertwesker22
07-18-2011, 06:33 PM

I don't know how exactly you're trying to define "Asian", but the peoples of Asia are just as diverse as those of Europe. Furthermore there's the fact that there's a pretty strongly defined cultural border, especially compared to those between European countries, because the majority of Turkish citizens is Muslim, while the majority of Europeans is either Christian or atheist.
Basically if you look at it historically Turkey is as much part of Europe as Morocco. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Asians as in Middle Easteners. Pakistani, Iranian, Arab, Libyan Ect.

Wait why are you bringing Religion into this? Turkey is a secular country. A persons religion has nothing to do with being European, not back then and certainly not now. Turkey has had a European population for centuries.

Are you American?

LightRey
07-18-2011, 06:42 PM

Basically if you look at it historically Turkey is as much part of Europe as Morocco. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait why are you bringing Religion into this? Turkey is a secular country. A persons religion has nothing to do with being European, not back then and certainly not now. Turkey has had a European population for centuries.

Are you American? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No I'm Dutch. Being European has everything to do with religion. Religion is part of culture and since Asia and Europa aren't exactly devided by any oceans or anything, all you can really go on are borders, be it cultural or political ones.
EDIT: also funny how asking if I'm American almost sounds like an insult.

ThaWhistle
07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
well it probably is, afterall all us americans are fat ignorant racist islamophobic ignoramooses who also think every country that doesnt start with United States of Americ are terrible places

iN3krO
07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThaWhistle:
well it probably is, afterall all us americans are fat ignorant racist islamophobic ignoramooses who also think every country that doesnt start with United States of Americ are terrible places </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not american but to tell u the truth, the only country that is not terrible is Home Sweet Home cuz i'm the one who leads the way here :P

Turkiye96
07-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Firstly at this moment in time religion is very important in world relations, standings and outlooks although i'd prefere it not to be.
firstly, i would like to say that the EU is NOT a smaller form of the United Nations. it is almost like a financial union where people from each country (in the union) come together and basically try to get money for their country. and the basic rules of the EU are that the rich countries get richer. and there is nothing wrong with that. but is has no power of doing non financial changes. the term ''European Citizen'' was given to the people in the union so they would get financial benefits and thus make their country richer. So the term ''European Citizen'' does not define you as European, what does define you as European is your Dutch passport or ID card.

also i would like to point out that i agree that religion is ''part'' of a nations culture, customs and history. Religion INFLUENCES culture history ect. but isn't a part of it,but as said before Turkey is even more secular than some EU countries and that Turkeys ''first amendment'' sorta thing is that religion and statehood should be kept seperate.
i mean if u look at it most of the Czech republic dont belive in a god, so why are they allowed in? oh thats right because in these situations religion should not play a factor. i mean if u were christian and had the option of highering either a muslim assisstant or a christian, it would be wrong to hire the christian just for religion, only if he was better, thats then u would hire him.

google ''morroco'' and ''?stanbul'' besides the a mosque, there are HUGE differences between the 2. Also another very important this is that Morroco was declined candidacy while Turkey's was accepted.

Turkey is not in the EU but it can be (in the future) with some changes.
The being a European Citizen doesn't make you European, i mean imagine an indian in England, he would have a EU citizenship but not be European.

Ok Guys can we get back on topic now?

albertwesker22
07-19-2011, 05:20 AM

No I'm Dutch. Being European has everything to do with religion. Religion is part of culture and since Asia and Europa aren't exactly devided by any oceans or anything, all you can really go on are borders, be it cultural or political ones.
EDIT: also funny how asking if I'm American almost sounds like an insult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Bangladeshi friend who came to England when he was 3, now he is a full EU citizen. So is he a European while a Turk is not?

Ok back on topic. I think in database entries and such, the city should be called Istanbul, but have the citizens refer to it as Constantinople. Have the Ottoman elites call it Istanbul.

If they really want to go for the multi cultural aspect, then we should hear both names pop up from different people.

Turkiye96
07-19-2011, 05:33 AM
ahhh finally, historical accuracy! i tip my hat to you good sir!

LightRey
07-19-2011, 11:42 AM

EDIT: also funny how asking if I'm American almost sounds like an insult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Bangladeshi friend who came to England when he was 3, now he is a full EU citizen. So is he a European while a Turk is not?

Ok back on topic. I think in database entries and such, the city should be called Istanbul, but have the citizens refer to it as Constantinople. Have the Ottoman elites call it Istanbul.

If they really want to go for the multi cultural aspect, then we should hear both names pop up from different people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
to answer your question, yes he is.
to reply to the on topic stuff, I'd say what you said would probably be most accurate and I hope that's what they'll do in the game.
Didn't the Templars in Constantinople want to restore the power of the byzantine empire? Maybe they're going to have the templars use the term Constantinople instead of Istanbul to emphasize that.

albertwesker22
07-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes all because of a passport. Turkey will probably get into the EU in the future, but they are European already. Turkey is more like a European country than a Middle Eastern one(Then again, I'm speaking based on my trips to Istanbul)

LightRey
07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Yes all because of a passport. Turkey will probably get into the EU in the future, but they are European already. Turkey is more like a European country than a Middle Eastern one(Then again, I'm speaking based on my trips to Istanbul) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
a passport and the fact that he's lived in Europe since he was 3.

kriegerdesgottes
07-19-2011, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThaWhistle:
well it probably is, afterall all us americans are fat ignorant racist islamophobic ignoramooses who also think every country that doesnt start with United States of Americ are terrible places </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait is this why Ubisoft keeps screwin us on the CE and exclusive figures and stuff? cuz I could probably lose a couple pounds if Ubisoft will stop screwin us over.

LightRey
07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:

Wait is this why Ubisoft keeps screwin us on the CE and exclusive figures and stuff? cuz I could probably lose a couple pounds if Ubisoft will stop screwin us over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Move to Europe. We have cookies ;D

kriegerdesgottes
07-19-2011, 02:59 PM
lol I tried that once. It didn't work out for me with the outrageous taxes and me coming from another continent is much more difficult than it is for a person from another European county, However I agree the cookies are pretty decent....and overpriced.

LightRey
07-19-2011, 03:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
lol I tried that once. It didn't work out for me with the outrageous taxes and me coming from another continent is much more difficult than it is for a person from another European county, However I agree the cookies are pretty decent....and overpriced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
true. Our taxes are sick compared to those in the US. I believe my mom has to pay like 55% of her income (you have to pay more depending on how much money you make). We don't really mind though, we're still quite rich after all.
I always find it quite funny how in the US people become outraged with even the slightest raise in tax, while it's only a fraction of what we have to pay xD.

albertwesker22
07-19-2011, 04:13 PM

Wait is this why Ubisoft keeps screwin us on the CE and exclusive figures and stuff? cuz I could probably lose a couple pounds if Ubisoft will stop screwin us over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Move to Europe. We have cookies ;D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes we do have cookies, but you've got prostitutes aswell.

LightRey
07-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Move to Europe. We have cookies ;D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes we do have cookies, but you've got prostitutes aswell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
and weed. don't forget about weed.

Belisarius47
10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
I cant believe this is even a question. To all those (mainly Turks) who believe that the city of Constantinople should be called Istanbul during the time period set by the Assassin's creed team, I suggest you pick up a History book and start reading fast before making another ridiculous comment.

First of all during Ezio's time, the city of Constantinople, was not Ottoman demographically speaking. It had a significant Greek/Roman, Armenian and Venetian populace. During Ezio's time this population was higher than the Turkish population of the city.

Secondly, the city of Constantinople was officially changed to Istanbul in 1930 not 1530. If you don't know how to count that is 81 years ago, not when Constantinople was overrun with Ottomans in 1453.

Thirdly, Turks are not considered European, since most of Turkey is in the middle east not Europe. It is only Istanbul that is part of Europe.

Chamboozer
10-06-2011, 09:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belisarius47:
Thirdly, Turks are not considered European, since most of Turkey is in the middle east not Europe. It is only Istanbul that is part of Europe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the one point you've made that I disagree with. Especially in the West, most Turks have a not insignificant amount of Greek ancestry, going back centuries. Despite the name 'Asia Minor', Anatolia was for a long time considered part of Europe and European society.

Calvarok
10-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I haven't read all of this, mainly because theres a multi-page thread already devoted to stuff like this, but just sayin', Canada is the place to be.

British Columbia, my home, rated number 1 place in the world to live.

: D

albertwesker22
10-06-2011, 10:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
I haven't read all of this, mainly because theres a multi-page thread already devoted to stuff like this, but just sayin', Canada is the place to be.

: D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well then I'm emigrating http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Calvarok
10-06-2011, 10:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

: D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well then I'm emigrating http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Free health care, in less debt than the US, more accepting of different cultures and religions than the US... you really might as well!

Belisarius47
10-06-2011, 11:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chamboozer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belisarius47:
Thirdly, Turks are not considered European, since most of Turkey is in the middle east not Europe. It is only Istanbul that is part of Europe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the one point you've made that I disagree with. Especially in the West, most Turks have a not insignificant amount of Greek ancestry, going back centuries. Despite the name 'Asia Minor', Anatolia was for a long time considered part of Europe and European society. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe there was a population exchange between the Turks living in Greece and the Greeks living in western Turkey in the 1960's. Meaning most people who claimed Greek ancestry in western turkey were moved across the Agean to Greece.

Moreover, Istanbul and the part of Turkey west of the Bosphorus IS part of Europe. but I've talked to some Turks and they'll tell you themselves: anything east of the Bosphorus is middle eastern. Ankara is as middle eastern as Cairo. Anyways I don't want to make this a Turkey vs Greece issue as I am neither Turkish or Greek. But I'm just telling you that most Europeans consider most of Turkey non-European.

thekarlone
10-07-2011, 12:07 AM
"Istanbul" is also an European name, is greek as "Constantinople" is.

jmk1999
10-07-2011, 12:33 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks

LightRey
10-07-2011, 05:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dom1999:

That's nobody's business but the Turks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think that deserves a round of applause. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Abeonis
10-07-2011, 08:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dom1999:

That's nobody's business but the Turks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think that deserves a round of applause. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, amazing. Constantinople with constantinople, bravo.

ShaneO7K
10-07-2011, 09:39 AM
It's for topics like this where I believe in the use of the almighty search button.

There was a huge thread on this a while back which got locked due to people trying insult others over the name of a city.

Chamboozer
10-07-2011, 01:37 PM
I believe there was a population exchange between the Turks living in Greece and the Greeks living in western Turkey in the 1960's. Meaning most people who claimed Greek ancestry in western turkey were moved across the Agean to Greece.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The exchange was based on different things for Greece and Turkey. Turkey sent all Greeks with no Turkish ancestry to Greece, and Greece sent all Muslims (even Greek Muslims) to Turkey.

You're completely right that Anatolia is in the Middle-East, but there's nothing particular about the people living there that makes them more Middle-Eastern than the Turks living in Europe. If the population of Anatolia lived in Thrace, they would be European. There is very little ethnic difference between the two sides of the Bosphorus.

Black_Widow9
10-07-2011, 01:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dead_gunner187:
It's for topics like this where I believe in the use of the almighty search button.

There was a huge thread on this a while back which got locked due to people trying insult others over the name of a city. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only too true. Very few posts in this Topic have to do with the OP. Let's swing it back around or I'm locking it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Sarari
10-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't care. As long as the map is really cool and open and unique with many levels to it, I'm perfectly fine with it.