PDA

View Full Version : Stop calling the Galleon a Frigate

Snaakmat
02-19-2018, 12:14 PM
A little rant about the Frigate

I don't get it why a game like Skull & Bones makes such a big mistake. The so called "frigate" isn't a frigate at all. Like the developers say it themselves: it has the biggest armament but it's manouvarability is bad. That is exactly what a frigate was NOT built for back in the days. It doesn't even look like a frigate... A lot of people make this mistake and I don't see why, there are tons of interesting articles and even a wikipedia that describes exactly what a frigate is.

I have been counting the cannons of the "frigate" and it is somewhere near 68 guns (based on the gameplay video). According to the Wikipedia about 3rd-rate ships of the line: "In the British Royal Navy, a third rate was a ship of the line which from the 1720s mounted between 64 and 80 guns, typically built with two gun decks" the "frigate" falls into this category.

I would say: call it what it is: a Man'o War (3rd-rate) or a War Galleon based on design and amount of guns.

Sorry but this gets me so angry, why make a game about ships when you don't even look into the history and naming of ships?

Captn_Hawsehole
02-19-2018, 08:33 PM
If you want to talk accuracy, I would start by removing the rams. It was unheard of in the age of sails.

sisankabrah
02-20-2018, 04:19 PM
I donít think the krackenís historically accurate either but itís in there...

BonafideBacon
03-18-2018, 03:56 AM
I'm with OP on this one guys. What he's saying makes alot of sense.

Ruthless4u
03-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Given this game is not making a point to be realistic/historically accurate it feels more like a distinction without a difference.

Mad__Levi
04-01-2018, 06:01 PM
I agree.
Since a short period i'm intrested in old ships like galleons, ship of the line, brigs and the Batavia( a Dutch VOC ship)etc.
So i search sometimes for those ships and couldn't find the frigate from the trailer that looks like on the ones i found on the internet. I find on internet ships that are built more flat.
The ''frigate'' from the trailer is more like a Galleon.
i think they should change the name from Frigate to Galleon or something.

sorry if i have written incorrectly :nonchalance: