PDA

View Full Version : Apollyon’s Legacy & Age of Wolves – First Impressions & Feedback

bob333e
02-16-2018, 03:46 PM
PROS

- I absolutely love Apollyon’s voice on announcements and match results and things like taking/losing zones and offerings during a match. It’s definitely a lot better-sounding than the old announcer voice. I sure hope this can be kept permanent, or at least give us the option to switch to Apollyon’s voice from the settings.

- Test Your Metal: a refreshing experience. I enjoyed meeting again with all the good old faces, in multiplayer. I hope this mode can become permanent as well. Or rather, make it an option next to Skirmish and Elimination, in the same category.

- Test Your Metal altered maps: NO LEDGES!!! THEY’VE BLOCKED 99% OF LEDGES, OH MY YESSSS. Why can’t we have these maps as the normal ones?! I demand ledgeless maps!! This must happen!! Maybe double the amount of the maps in the map selection pool? Add the ledgeless ones on top of the ledgy ones. There would be 2 maps of the same design, but one with ledges, and one without. I’d totally be happy with that.

- Battle outfit event loot: looks really nice. I got it on Nobushi, hoping to acquire it on the heroes I’m currently focusing on, as well as my main, before the double XP weekend is over.

- Blackstone Elite and Iron Legion palettes: these were a must. THANK YOU. These have been requested for so long. And they’ll do just fine for my Warden.

- New S5 weapons and the event loot weapons: some look mediocre, but some others look really good. I can still feel fairly content in seeking these out on some heroes, without feeling like I’m completely wasting time farming for them.

- XP Boost: a nice additive mechanic, however near-useless in PvAI. It’s best used alongside other players so that the boosts stack up, to justify the Salvage costs. And for the time being still, I’m doing my best to avoid PvP Dominion, don’t wish to experience disconnects during the double XP weekend, so I can only use that in Duel and Brawl and Test Your Metal.

- Faction War and new landmarks: they look nice, animated on the war map. They do give a little more excuse to plant a banner somewhere else. I noticed that the Vult-cano became a locked region; can anyone confirm whether it became permanently a locked region? If so, we Knights might finally be freed of a year-long meme…

- The parry changes. YES!! Combat feels way nicer now. Much less guaranteed stuff, and I can feel more confident in my parries now, knowing I won’t be cheesing with free damage upon parrying someone. I can still land top heavy with Warden on most light parries. Thank you for finally implementing this change in the combat system.

- The new Kensei. He feels a lot more amazing now, huge mixup potential + unblockable bash from neutral. I think I’ll be playing Kensei more from now on.

- Warden bug fixes: much appreciated. Warden no longer gives free GB on zone block, and his new shoulderbash animation looks nicer. Crossing fingers for his rework. And I’ll be sure to provide my own input on that as well. I, like many others, wish to see his spammability gone. Warden should require a higher skill ceiling to master, because he’s the archetype of For Honor. He shouldn’t be a cheap spammy ez pez tincan. But I’ll leave this convo for later.

- Multi-effect equipping: very nice. And I can now preview various different emotes and executions on various effects. It’s a nice addition as both customization depth and QoL thing.

CONS

- The VS screen on fire: it feels like a more resource-gloating VS screen, it also feels laggier. The fire effects don’t add much to modify the atmosphere in my opinion. There’s still no ground where all the heroes stand, no sky, no background vista, etc. It’s not like the VS screen became a portion of Blackstone Keep, which is what I had initially imagined, until I watched the Den and saw what they implemented. In my opinion this just adds unnecessary weight and lag to the VS screen.

- Test Your Metal: As others have reported, AI teammates will often die too quickly and it becomes a 3v1. It’s understandable that this mode should challenge the player to their limit, but it can get boring real quick. It’s also unlikely that the AI teammates will stand any chance in Test Your Metal II and Test Your Metal III. From the second week onwards, this mode strictly requires player teammates.

- Salt emote: moar memes. Please stop with the influx of memes. This is For Honor, not For Humor.

- I Am War emote: disgustingly sub-par and poorly polished, but it’s free stuff so can’t complain.

- The new Mask Outfit: well now everyone can wear Apollyon’s helmet/visor. Not sure how to feel about it. It kind of degrades Apollyon’s overall impact and importance, and pays tribute to Apollyon at the same time. But I won’t buy it. I won’t add to the mud-smearing of her face, helmet, name, and overall image. The symbols, emblem outline, and engraving will do just fine for me.

- Multi-effect equipping: noticeable stutter when previewing various effects. I guess more optimizations are needed for this particular area.

- The new Zerk. Admittedly feels more like a nerf. Granted I only played for a day this season, have yet to get more used to her, yet I can’t help but feel she’s lacking raw damage. And that third comboed heavy unblockable is literally useless. Even the bosses in Test Your Metal are parrying it. I only landed it when ganking a boss.

- Tribute has become a flashy mess. With all the recently added flashy effects including light parry, CGB, and various other things, Tribute is like underground rave/trance. Can barely even focus on my opponent’s Stance Widget.

*Cannot comment on any ambient background music, I have in-game music volume muted.
*Cannot comment on the new Conq, I don’t use him.
*Cannot comment on Highlander, I don’t have him unlocked and haven’t been using him in Practice Mode lately.
*Cannot comment on Nobushi either. Haven’t used her for a while, and not too proficient with her anyway.

Overall, still pretty satisfied, this season is a solid 7.5/10. Ubisoft is definitely pushing forward, despite the issues. Thank you for this update. Looking forward to dedicated servers, lag comp system, and arena mode.

My humble requests for this season are:

- Please make Test Your Metal permanent.
- Please make the TYM ledgeless maps available for use outside that mode.
- Please let us choose to keep Apollyon’s voice.
- Please reduce all the screen flashiness, not necessarily remove them but tone them down. Tribute is becoming unbearable.
- Please consider re-implementing Dance Of Death Brawl at some point this season.
- Please consider revising the AoE damage feats.

Thanks a lot. :)

BTTrinity
02-16-2018, 04:01 PM
So far Im pretty satisfied with everything (Besides Nobushi).

Sometimes I feel like Kensei is unbeatable, but then again Ive only played a few hours so I still need to learn him.

With my 4 hours on Nobushi since the rework, I AM NOT enjoying her.

Her zone is 100ms slower than Orochis, yet deals the same pathetic amount of damage... (Zone was a bit to powerful, but to make it deal Orochi Zone damage? really?)

Her light damage nerf out of HS is completely unjustifiable considering how telegraphed her lights are.

What Id like to see:

-Now her zone is absolutely worthless outside of minion slaying, 25 (From 20) damage is necessary if you want it to be worth the risk on someone whos played the game longer than 3 hours.

-Revert light damage nerf (Its not that big of a deal, but it also wasnt a problem that it needed to be nerfed in the first place)

-HS no longer stops Stamina from regenerating.

EDIT: I also cant tell if im using swift retreat, or using swift recoil and then vipers retreating immediately after... Is she suppsed to poke while jumping back? Or poke after she jumps back?

bob333e
02-16-2018, 07:55 PM
So Nobushi also feels like a nerf, other than Zerk? whoa.

I'm still sad about Zerk. I was used to her pre-rework, now post-rework feels more of a feint abuser and stamina drainer than actual aggressor.

I guess the same can be said for Nobushi. Feints, stam drain. No actual aggression other than chip damage with lights and GBs that land. Did I hit the nail on that?

Regardless, season 5 felt better than how season 4 did, back in mid-November. Season 4 on release was an utter train-wreck.

BTTrinity
02-16-2018, 08:14 PM
So Nobushi also feels like a nerf, other than Zerk? whoa.

I'm still sad about Zerk. I was used to her pre-rework, now post-rework feels more of a feint abuser and stamina drainer than actual aggressor.

I guess the same can be said for Nobushi. Feints, stam drain. No actual aggression other than chip damage with lights and GBs that land. Did I hit the nail on that?

Regardless, season 5 felt better than how season 4 did, back in mid-November. Season 4 on release was an utter train-wreck.

Yep, I do see myself relying on feints and chip much more than I used to. I had a feeling her nerfs were going to overshadow her buffs.

I can agree that S5 is by far the best state the games been in.

bob333e
02-16-2018, 08:34 PM
Yep, I do see myself relying on feints and chip much more than I used to. I had a feeling her nerfs were going to overshadow her buffs.

I can agree that S5 is by far the best state the games been in.

That's exactly how I felt, using Zerk earlier today. What's with this new feint meta...

And yeah, S5 is a smooth ride. I like it. A lot. Finally the game's being stable again.

JadeBosson.
02-16-2018, 08:35 PM
I only have 2 Days (total playtime with her) on my nobushi but I still luv her lol also I haven't gotten the laggyness on the vs screen and love the fire effect lol haven't got to test zerk yet tho

Multi-effect equipping: noticeable stutter when previewing various effects. I guess more optimizations are needed for this particular area. also whats this?

bob333e
02-16-2018, 08:37 PM
I only have 2 Days (total playtime with her) on my nobushi but I still luv her lol also I haven't gotten the laggyness on the vs screen and love the fire effect lol haven't got to test zerk yet tho

Multi-effect equipping: noticeable stutter when previewing various effects. I guess more optimizations are needed for this particular area. also whats this?

When I browse rather fast between effects previewing them on several emotes or executions, there's a noticeable hiccup in the entire interface for like 1sec every once in a while. I sure hope it's nothing major and that it's only because this is a completely new addition and just requires a bit more optimization.

The VS screen in Test Your Metal with matchmaking set to on is also somewhat choppy.

Note that they don't always happen, but they do happen.

JadeBosson.
02-16-2018, 08:38 PM
ah

Jiblet2017
02-16-2018, 09:17 PM
So far Im pretty satisfied with everything (Besides Nobushi).

With my 4 hours on Nobushi since the rework, I AM NOT enjoying her.

Her zone is 100ms slower than Orochis, yet deals the same pathetic amount of damage... (Zone was a bit to powerful, but to make it deal Orochi Zone damage? really?)

Her light damage nerf out of HS is completely unjustifiable considering how telegraphed her lights are.

What Id like to see:

-Now her zone is absolutely worthless outside of minion slaying, 25 (From 20) damage is necessary if you want it to be worth the risk on someone whos played the game longer than 3 hours.

-Revert light damage nerf (Its not that big of a deal, but it also wasnt a problem that it needed to be nerfed in the first place)

-HS no longer stops Stamina from regenerating.

I completely agree. Nobushi was my first character in beta, and she feels so much worse in team modes. Her zone was easily parried against a decent player (always same side and just under 600ms when opponent is in the initial hitbox zone). The damage was what made zones worth the risk. I'm fine with it being toned down but 33 to 20 is a massive nerf.

The does up kick is nice but even with a hs>heavy>kick the kick is not guaranteed against orochi, raider, or LB (bc block shove nullifies it). I played her all morning (after focusing on zero and Kensei yesterday), and if was pretty depressing. Her dodge recovery nerds are also very noticeable.

Maybe I need to get better with her, but my initial impression is that this was a severe nerf.

Also, @fady - yes to more no ledge maps!

UbiInsulin
02-16-2018, 11:08 PM
There's a lot of feedback to chew on right here. Thanks Fady!

There's way too much for me to go through line-by-line, but I'll just say that we passed on the feedback on the AoE feats before the update was even live. We've also noted the concerns about the game's flashiness (i.e. from light parries).

bob333e
02-16-2018, 11:24 PM
There's a lot of feedback to chew on right here. Thanks Fady!

There's way too much for me to go through line-by-line, but I'll just say that we passed on the feedback on the AoE feats before the update was even live. We've also noted the concerns about the game's flashiness (i.e. from light parries).

Hahaha yes, I made sure to cover every single thing I've experienced in just 3 hours...

Thanks so much! Hoping to see the AoE damage feats revised. And, yes, about the flashiness, I'll quote the relevant parts I wrote above:

- Tribute has become a flashy mess. With all the recently added flashy effects including light parry, CGB, and various other things, Tribute is like underground rave/trance. Can barely even focus on my opponent’s Stance Widget.

- Please reduce all the screen flashiness, not necessarily remove them but tone them down. Tribute is becoming unbearable.

The light parry effect on its own is fine, it's just when they all add up, particularly in Tribute, it becomes underground rave party. Too much for the eyes, and for focusing on GB prompts, UB prompts, Stance Widget indicators, etc.

Thanks much again, and I'll be sure to update you should I notice any bugs. ^^