ILikePortillos
06-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Helmut Schiller's Captain's Journal
U-4 (Type IIA)

Home Base: Wilhelmshaven, Germany
------------------------
Patrol 2
------------------------

10/4/1939 - Our second patrol began much like our first, notably regarding the type of weather we experienced. Only this time it was cooler. We sailed out shortly after 15:00 and exited the bay in the evening. Our assigned patrol sector lay within 60 kilometers of the English coast, East and slightly North of London. Our last patrol was fairly uneventful, so the assumption can be made that we are being placed closer to the enemy traffic lanes.

We crossed paths with a friendly Destroyer heading East towards Wilhelmshaven some time in the late evening.

10/5/1939 - We spent the day sailing West over the northern coast of Holland. We received a couple of contact reports, but saw no ships on our way. There were plenty of seagulls to keep us company and remind us that we were near the coast.

10/6/1939 - We made it to our patrol sector in the early hours of the morning. The weather still held clear and calm. We set an X-patern course and began patrolling. We moved along at Standard speed. There was plenty of tension on board as we were very close to the English coast, and in busy waters. Our lookouts scanned the sky as well as the horizon.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/ILikePortillos/U4-ConingTower10-7-1939.jpg

10/7/1939 - We finished our patrol after receiving only one contact report which we didn't pursue. This was an executive decision that was made after noticing that the ship was behind us and heading south out of our sector. We were disappointed when we completed our primary patrol objectives and had not seen any more ships, nor gotten word of any over the radio.

10/8/1939 - The favorable weather continued to hold all day, as we made our way back toward Wilhelmshaven. We received one contact report in the early morning hours. We increased our speed to Full, and continued on our intersecting course, but saw no ship. We relayed our contact report after two hours of sailing and continued on at Standard speed.

We saw a fishing boat upon entering the inlet of the Wilhelmshaven bay.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/ILikePortillos/U4-HomecomingCommittee10-8-1939.jpg

We reached port some time after 20:00. We collided with a submerged pinnacle of rocks and took some damage to the hull. We used this as repair training and quickly fixed the damage.
------------------------
Between Patrols: We were able to promote one sailor, give one U-Boat Warfare Medal to one of the officers (who led the repair team), and certify a petty officer as a medic. We made some crew changes, mostly recruiting higher ranked sailors and petty officers. We made the request to have the Flotilla emblem painted on the side of the conning tower, which it was. We also had a machine gun installed on the deck.

ILikePortillos
06-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Helmut Schiller's Captain's Journal
U-4 (Type IIA)

Home Base: Wilhelmshaven, Germany
------------------------
Patrol 2
------------------------

10/4/1939 - Our second patrol began much like our first, notably regarding the type of weather we experienced. Only this time it was cooler. We sailed out shortly after 15:00 and exited the bay in the evening. Our assigned patrol sector lay within 60 kilometers of the English coast, East and slightly North of London. Our last patrol was fairly uneventful, so the assumption can be made that we are being placed closer to the enemy traffic lanes.

We crossed paths with a friendly Destroyer heading East towards Wilhelmshaven some time in the late evening.

10/5/1939 - We spent the day sailing West over the northern coast of Holland. We received a couple of contact reports, but saw no ships on our way. There were plenty of seagulls to keep us company and remind us that we were near the coast.

10/6/1939 - We made it to our patrol sector in the early hours of the morning. The weather still held clear and calm. We set an X-patern course and began patrolling. We moved along at Standard speed. There was plenty of tension on board as we were very close to the English coast, and in busy waters. Our lookouts scanned the sky as well as the horizon.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/ILikePortillos/U4-ConingTower10-7-1939.jpg

10/7/1939 - We finished our patrol after receiving only one contact report which we didn't pursue. This was an executive decision that was made after noticing that the ship was behind us and heading south out of our sector. We were disappointed when we completed our primary patrol objectives and had not seen any more ships, nor gotten word of any over the radio.

10/8/1939 - The favorable weather continued to hold all day, as we made our way back toward Wilhelmshaven. We received one contact report in the early morning hours. We increased our speed to Full, and continued on our intersecting course, but saw no ship. We relayed our contact report after two hours of sailing and continued on at Standard speed.

We saw a fishing boat upon entering the inlet of the Wilhelmshaven bay.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/ILikePortillos/U4-HomecomingCommittee10-8-1939.jpg

We reached port some time after 20:00. We collided with a submerged pinnacle of rocks and took some damage to the hull. We used this as repair training and quickly fixed the damage.
------------------------
Between Patrols: We were able to promote one sailor, give one U-Boat Warfare Medal to one of the officers (who led the repair team), and certify a petty officer as a medic. We made some crew changes, mostly recruiting higher ranked sailors and petty officers. We made the request to have the Flotilla emblem painted on the side of the conning tower, which it was. We also had a machine gun installed on the deck.

UF_Excalibur_D
06-07-2005, 11:39 AM
ok man...very nice...im gonna start doing this as well.....I love reading them at work.....ahhhhh

ILikePortillos
06-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Great. I'll look for yours as well. I'm going to take those pointers you gave me for my 4th patrol. They're sending me to AN21. I haven't looked at the map yet, so I'm not sure where that is. I can take the IID if I want to, but I'm a little nostalgic and am reluctant to part ways with the old IIA.

UF_Excalibur_D
06-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Well after I made it to late 1940 I was gonna tranfer to Lorient-2nd flotilla. I Have my trusty VIIB which I named Vicki....lol. It is now Jan 1941 and im thinking of the IXC...which I prolly wont get now do to trying it out in MP (multiplayer). I will mor ethen Likely transfer for the IXC and get longer missions. I dunno yet......I'm thinking of starting over just for the sake of realism. im now at 82% and I think I need to start over like that.........I dont know how to make up my mind....lmfao

ILikePortillos
06-07-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm at 69%. I'm keeping some things like the external camera (obviously), but just not using it until after I've engaged it and identified it through the telelscope.

Say. . .I'm using manual targeting, and after I go through all of the different categories (Speed, Distance, etc.) and check the box one last time, everything is entered into the TDC. I don't see the distance or AOB updating as the target moves along. Should I, or is this a behind-the-scenes function?

UF_Excalibur_D
06-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Im not real sure....ill have to go through the motions tonight...I usually point and shoot at about 700 meters....cant really miss that range but I have. For the sake of being wrong about the procedure Ill check tonight and let ya know....memory not real good at that.....lol.

DiveDevil
06-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Great post I.L.P (or is it Schiller?) very good writting and looks like your into this sim as much as I am. I've thought of keeping a log also. maybe some of us should start a log thread or something like that.
Look forward to reading more patrol reports and I'll try and post some of my own exploits as well
Until then Happy Hunting Herr Kaleun

HKLE
06-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Hi folks

Wouldn't it be nice to have some help from the logbook that the game provides ? There I find only my ships sunk, but no weather info or similar related info.

Is there any mod out there already doing this. Sorry for not checking before this reply ...

HKLE

ILikePortillos
06-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Thanks guys! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I was worried people would find it too boring, given the fact I haven't hit anything yet.

I agree with your request. I remember the Captain's Log from Destroyer Command that took down every order. I think I even still have some text files laying around from that. It was nice to be able to free type text into it as well, that way I didn't have to wait until I was done playing the game to jot down my memories.

NOT complainging though! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif There's enough of that going on around here; well, not here, but in the General Discussion thread.