PDA

View Full Version : patches for crashes

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Recently there's been a lot of unexpectedly open and informative posts about the beta patches. I wonder if anyone with the patch has has the problem I've always had with FB, and if it is solved in the beta patches.

The problem is that after approx 45 minutes into a mission (off-line) the game begins to stutter quite a bit, after a short while it's not stutters but rather pauses. During these pauses it's the screen update that's paused and only that. Sound continues. Force feedback continues. The game runs (for example I can feel in the stick that I get shot at,) but nothing visual as the screen is frozen. The pauses can last for up to 10 seconds at times. The intensity and length of the pauses increase until the game crashes with a memory access error. This is not related to lack of RAM (1G and swap file is untouched. A memory usage logger showed that RAM utilization actually sank at approximately the same time as the stuttering began.) This is very repeatable for me and for an unlucky few others.

What's the status with the beta patches? Still the same or solved?
_
/Bjorn.

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Recently there's been a lot of unexpectedly open and informative posts about the beta patches. I wonder if anyone with the patch has has the problem I've always had with FB, and if it is solved in the beta patches.

The problem is that after approx 45 minutes into a mission (off-line) the game begins to stutter quite a bit, after a short while it's not stutters but rather pauses. During these pauses it's the screen update that's paused and only that. Sound continues. Force feedback continues. The game runs (for example I can feel in the stick that I get shot at,) but nothing visual as the screen is frozen. The pauses can last for up to 10 seconds at times. The intensity and length of the pauses increase until the game crashes with a memory access error. This is not related to lack of RAM (1G and swap file is untouched. A memory usage logger showed that RAM utilization actually sank at approximately the same time as the stuttering began.) This is very repeatable for me and for an unlucky few others.

What's the status with the beta patches? Still the same or solved?
_
/Bjorn.

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 10:31 AM
I'm experiencing almost the same problem. The screen freezes for up to 5 seconds, while the game continues. At low altitude, this is VERY scary. It doesn't lead to the game chrashing, though. I don't think this has anything to do with RAM, as I have 768M DDR-RAM, and probably not the graphics card either, even though it is only a 64M GeForce 3-card.

Skarphol

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 11:01 AM
well, in V1.0 after i worked with Photoshop I had to reboot before starting FB otherwise it would lock or something. With test5.0 it doesnâ´t.

-------------

"The picture repeats itself when operations, which began with great intent and local successes, degenerated into senseless, wild hammering at fixed front-line positions once they encounter initial heavy losses and unforeseen situations. This incomprehensible phenomenon appears again and again. But, even in extremis, the Russian is never logical; he falls back on his natural instinct, and the nature of the Russian is to use mass, steamroller tactics, and adherence to given objectives without regard to changing situations."

German 9th Army report after repulsing the Soviet offensive "Mars" in Rzhev bulge, December 1942.