PDA

View Full Version : ANNO 1800 Will not include land combat?!

CoryDeRealest
01-30-2018, 07:27 PM
I know most people will be annoyed at my post, and tell me to play another game (I am a strategy gamer I have them all and love them), but honestly this is not okay for the ANNO name, 1800's is the PERFECT era to finally try and include land warfare (which has had a massive void and need), and this game is the peak of this franchise!

At least make 1 line infantry unit, 1 calvary unit for flanking the infantry, and one canon unit for indirect fire! That is all... Even be lazy and include the old mechanics with base-to-base combat (Like dawn of discovery), maybe make them directional (line men face forward and shoot forwards) The fact that this won't even be attempted to be implimented shows undesire for a game company, this shows lack of detail, what do you think most strategy gamers love? Attention to detail!! It is about the 8th game and you still do not have animations for carts going into buildings yet? It's pathetic! And now no land combat either?? They are cheaping out on us and being lazy.

I completely understand the idea for peaceful uninterupted city building (I completely love that, seriously) But they have yet finished this game, there are so many details missed, and there is some type of void for the land combat, there needs to be something, anything. There needs to be that risk of land units embarking and raiding your land or making a force to go to another island, there needs to be, and not only to be a annoying but to make it eventful and risky, it urges you to build defences, and have forces of your own to protect your masterpiece of hard work.

It is the peak of this franchise and you're telling me it isn't going to be included? Are you mad? To avoid that annoyance on your own island you can have HUGE defences, but for the OFFENCE, that is why we love this, to build up and conquer. How great is it to have that risk and build up a great land force to see all your effort and have a big land force on your island (to not only PROTECT but to expand), and then you can embark them and go on small missions with your navy, or all together on a huge mission to land on other islands, to explore and maybe fight out others? It is incredible.

To not have that with the line men and horsemen of the 1800's is absurd. Completely lazy, and don't get me started with the lack of details on a peak game of it's frnachise that is just lazy, I am loosing hope with this franchise that I was starting to love. Pathetic.

Raydoovah
01-31-2018, 01:04 AM
I know most people will be annoyed at my post, and tell me to play another game (I am a strategy gamer I have them all and love them), but honestly this is not okay for the ANNO name, 1800's is the PERFECT era to finally try and include land warfare (which has had a massive void and need), and this game is the peak of this franchise!

At least make 1 line infantry unit, 1 calvary unit for flanking the infantry, and one canon unit for indirect fire! That is all... Even be lazy and include the old mechanics with base-to-base combat (Like dawn of discovery), maybe make them directional (line men face forward and shoot forwards) The fact that this won't even be attempted to be implimented shows undesire for a game company, this shows lack of detail, what do you think most strategy gamers love? Attention to detail!! It is about the 8th game and you still do not have animations for carts going into buildings yet? It's pathetic! And now no land combat either?? They are cheaping out on us and being lazy.

I completely understand the idea for peaceful uninterupted city building (I completely love that, seriously) But they have yet finished this game, there are so many details missed, and there is some type of void for the land combat, there needs to be something, anything. There needs to be that risk of land units embarking and raiding your land or making a force to go to another island, there needs to be, and not only to be a annoying but to make it eventful and risky, it urges you to build defences, and have forces of your own to protect your masterpiece of hard work.

It is the peak of this franchise and you're telling me it isn't going to be included? Are you mad? To avoid that annoyance on your own island you can have HUGE defences, but for the OFFENCE, that is why we love this, to build up and conquer. How great is it to have that risk and build up a great land force to see all your effort and have a big land force on your island (to not only PROTECT but to expand), and then you can embark them and go on small missions with your navy, or all together on a huge mission to land on other islands, to explore and maybe fight out others? It is incredible.

To not have that with the line men and horsemen of the 1800's is absurd. Completely lazy, and don't get me started with the lack of details on a peak game of it's frnachise that is just lazy, I am loosing hope with this franchise that I was starting to love. Pathetic.

No offense but I'd rather not spend time responding to your fallacious arguments.

Instead I want to say: The Game is perfect not when there is something to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

stylisticsagi
01-31-2018, 07:55 AM
he does have a point.
i am not looking for military alot in anno games but taking away the entire island military is very harsh.
1404's system was the best fiting in an anno setting till now, it just had to be polished a bit.

1503 for those who played it learned us again that to much land military really haddn't a place in anno.

AD1701GURU
01-31-2018, 07:12 PM
While I understand your frustration (to a lesser extent) ANNO games have always had a focus on economy/city-management rather than military.

I loved Anno 1701s way of handling military, with fortresses and keeps able to defend an area and produce units that you could manually control, but I can see why they would want to change it to draw more focus onto the two aspects I previously mentioned.

Maybe they will extend the military aspect via DLC or free updates. It's too early to tell how the entire thing will be though as we've only had a couple of blog posts.

ruuti0
01-31-2018, 08:51 PM
I personally liked so far Anno more without land combat, but I have nothing against it either if they want add it, but If I remember right they said they aren't going to do it.

I have to say that it was really cool in Anno 2070 that you could attack other islands with aircrafts, too bad there isn't such inventions in 1800 (speaking timeline wise).

stylisticsagi
02-01-2018, 09:50 AM
i very much doubt if anno releases without any form of land combat, a dlc would bring this.
It's to much of an add on for dlc.

the best option they have now would be the discussion in this forum about capturing island by blocking the harbour.

CoryDeRealest
02-01-2018, 05:34 PM
I know I went a little over board, but honestly I feel like the game is slightly lacking something, don't get me wrong I love Anno games, (I have played them all anyways) But I just think there needs to be deeper military aspect. I enjoy the city building, and I usually just play with no expanding enemies (Just hard pirates and in 2070 Kato as well) I think the game is fun as a city building game, but if there was a way to make it more of a defensive game with land combat that would be cool.

AgmasGold
02-01-2018, 09:28 PM
You said it yourself - Anno is a city-building strategy game, not a warfare simulation/RTS game.

CoryDeRealest
02-01-2018, 09:37 PM
Yeah I know, but at the very least they could add in better detail and more animations, perhaps instead of just clicking down a building it takes 5-10 seconds and builds it up from the ground. (remember how the turrets would be built in 2070)

Maybe also a system that they have the transports actually animated to "pickup" and "unload" the materials that they are transporting, so that they dont just disappear infront of the building. I feel like there are some animations that they can easily improve on at the very least.

iruet
02-02-2018, 12:17 AM
Yeah I know, but at the very least they could add in better detail and more animations, perhaps instead of just clicking down a building it takes 5-10 seconds and builds it up from the ground. (remember how the turrets would be built in 2070)

Maybe also a system that they have the transports actually animated to "pickup" and "unload" the materials that they are transporting, so that they dont just disappear infront of the building. I feel like there are some animations that they can easily improve on at the very least.

Such war-animations are against the current low pegi-rating... So that is not going to happen...

Pickup and unload would be nice... If it doesn't effect the speed of the game :)

stylisticsagi
02-02-2018, 09:49 AM
i am fully for some sort of building construction animations!

Raydoovah
02-04-2018, 03:07 PM
I know I went a little over board, but honestly I feel like the game is slightly lacking something, don't get me wrong I love Anno games, (I have played them all anyways) But I just think there needs to be deeper military aspect. I enjoy the city building, and I usually just play with no expanding enemies (Just hard pirates and in 2070 Kato as well) I think the game is fun as a city building game, but if there was a way to make it more of a defensive game with land combat that would be cool.

Have you played 1404? Did you really enjoy the super slow land military? An island taking an hour to capture and etc.

It's okay to want the military aspect to have depth. But Land Units are hardly the solution for this imo. Different mechanics for war? "Tradesmans Cogs" from 1404 in 1800?

Espionage from 1404? That can add complexity (albeit it will need to be reworked).

The problem with Land Units is that to make them fun requires almost all of the mechanics in the game to be redone. Compare Anno to all other RTS where the focus is on land units -> You have loads of space for battles, your units are faster, you do not take 5 minutes to capture an enemy building.

ruuti0
02-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Have you played 1404? Did you really enjoy the super slow land military? An island taking an hour to capture and etc.

It's okay to want the military aspect to have depth. But Land Units are hardly the solution for this imo. Different mechanics for war? "Tradesmans Cogs" from 1404 in 1800?

Espionage from 1404? That can add complexity (albeit it will need to be reworked).

The problem with Land Units is that to make them fun requires almost all of the mechanics in the game to be redone. Compare Anno to all other RTS where the focus is on land units -> You have loads of space for battles, your units are faster, you do not take 5 minutes to capture an enemy building.

In my opinion naval combat worked much better in Anno style game than land attacking.

You could still destroy more inland buildings if cannon could shoot further, but I made already new topic about this idea.

stylisticsagi
02-05-2018, 11:31 AM
I think the topic on capture islands by blocking it's port is a very decent alternative to the land units.
However it could be very fun if there where (uncontrolable) animations of your ships sending men by boats to the island and soldiers caputring stuff there and perhaps you can build forts on land wich increase the cost price or duration to capture your islands and they would also make animations of soldiers trying to repell the defenders.
make capturing an island done with ships wich require goods (provisions or why not pake troops as an item). And make the whole captering island a complete simple mechanic followed with lot's of visual animations wich have no impact on the outcome.

pretty much like how animations worked when an army attacked a fort in 1404 but then for the whole island in one go.

iruet
02-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Tbh I think the landunits would take away too much of the limit available buildingspace... I feel like landcombat does not suit anno as sea combat does :)

Thorgias
02-05-2018, 04:17 PM
Stylisticsagi, I think thats a good idea, me and my brothers (also great Anno fans) have thought of this idea and we came up with the same: taking special keypoints on the islands like castles, weapon production or something like that. If you take these, you can have the whole island (after some time) so can land units still be in place because i would love to see the campements return, maybe with more choises and differences.

ruuti0
02-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Can't wait to see do we see soldiers near defence cannons working with them etc. or is it just cannon shooting "itself" :D

iruet
02-06-2018, 11:13 AM
That last one had be fun :D Ghost cannons :p

CoryDeRealest
02-06-2018, 03:50 PM
I like the idea of the port captures and what not, I think there should be more of a risk in attacking an enemy's port though, maybe have the main port with 2 cannons to start with to prevent someone just rushing early on.

I had another idea in a different thread about no more naval and just make the water (deserted land) you would still not be able to build on that part so it would still be an island to island game, but this way you could have cooler infantry fights and cavalry fights, and the trade routes from island to island would be train tracks with trains!

iruet
02-07-2018, 08:53 PM
I had another idea in a different thread about no more naval and just make the water (deserted land) you would still not be able to build on that part so it would still be an island to island game, but this way you could have cooler infantry fights and cavalry fights, and the trade routes from island to island would be train tracks with trains!

Just not anno, as said in that thread...

ruuti0
02-10-2018, 01:16 PM
I think it is best leave land combat units to history, in my opinion Anno just become better when it was focused to totally naval warware.

And even better when you could in 2070 have aircrafts (Aerial warfare), aircraft carriers, submarines and even nuclear missiles.

I hope someday we get back to future times so we get those advanced technologies!

Fuzzician
02-14-2018, 08:29 AM
I have only played Anno 1404 and 2070, both of which featured their own version.

in 1404, we had the slow camps, used to take over key points on land.

In 2070, we had Aircraft, that could quickly arrive on an island and destroy warehouses/city centers, denying ground to your enemy.

I found the 2070 system to be far better. The ground battles in 1404 were very slow and tedious, with basically no strategy at all, and very little control. Having fast aircraft that can also help in naval battles was a great improvement.

That said, obviously 1800 cannot have aircraft (other than, maybe, hot air baloons?), so that is out.

Ultimately, the reason Anno 1800 might need ground units is simply to have means to take over/destroy an opposing island. If Ubisoft can provide a reasonable alternative to using ground units (like having ships dock and start releasing units), then we do not need them at all.

ruuti0
02-14-2018, 06:14 PM
I have only played Anno 1404 and 2070, both of which featured their own version.

in 1404, we had the slow camps, used to take over key points on land.

In 2070, we had Aircraft, that could quickly arrive on an island and destroy warehouses/city centers, denying ground to your enemy.

I found the 2070 system to be far better. The ground battles in 1404 were very slow and tedious, with basically no strategy at all, and very little control. Having fast aircraft that can also help in naval battles was a great improvement.

That said, obviously 1800 cannot have aircraft (other than, maybe, hot air baloons?), so that is out.

Ultimately, the reason Anno 1800 might need ground units is simply to have means to take over/destroy an opposing island. If Ubisoft can provide a reasonable alternative to using ground units (like having ships dock and start releasing units), then we do not need them at all.

Aircrafts in 2070 where brilliant add to game, there made new kind of inland fight possible without land units.

And since we don't have land units anymore and won't have in 1800, I think this problem could be "fixed" with longer cannon range (just a suggestion).

That way you still could attack inland (maybe range wouldn't be whole inland in big islands, but it surely could be longer than it has been in previous Anno versions).

I made different thread for it here: https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1832470-Should-we-have-further-cannon-range

stylisticsagi
02-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Aircraft in 2070 was indeed a nice add on but it also brought the tromendous shame you could't use aircraft as trade vessels...

ruuti0
02-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Aircraft in 2070 was indeed a nice add on but it also brought the tromendous shame you could't use aircraft as trade vessels...

I think that could changed game so much, that they didn't move to that area and keep our familiar ship-trading as only trading option.

Just my guess.

Also, it would been really hard for pirates to try catch your flying trade vessels since you could go above islands etc. It practically would changed a lot of game dynamics. Maybe we see that in future, maybe not, time will tell.

stylisticsagi
02-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Well that's why they are only available later in the game + that's why you pay fuel.
And if they where introduced they would not have had large cargo holds but where very ideal for small production island with a small storage capacity since aircraft would be very fast.

ruuti0
02-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Well that's why they are only available later in the game + that's why you pay fuel.
And if they where introduced they would not have had large cargo holds but where very ideal for small production island with a small storage capacity since aircraft would be very fast.

I still think it would been huge change in game dynamic, I am not saying its not possible, but that maybe they then would been forced to change other things in games such giving aircrafts to pirates etc or making trading possible with aircrafts too etc.

I think that they wanted to keep Anno as trading game (one aspect of game) that happen between ships, just my guess, because it always had been (not speaking about 2205 now).

But surely why not if Anno ever go back to future, air trading could be possible option, but even still I think they still have ships, because in my opinion that is core part of game series.

iruet
02-16-2018, 10:49 PM
It would be fun to use aircrafts as island transportation for big islands, since they couldn't fly that far by then :D

ruuti0
02-16-2018, 11:15 PM
It would be fun to use aircrafts as island transportation for big islands, since they couldn't fly that far by then :D

What you are talking about???

Kevin_Ar182
03-30-2018, 03:01 AM
The Anno games I enjoyed the most are the ones with land combat; the ones I enjoyed the least are ones that were almost build only.
I know the Anno series has often done a poor job trying to get land combat to work well, but I still want it in the game to give it an extra challenge.

Kevin_Ar182
03-30-2018, 03:25 AM
Followup: To be honest, I was hoping to have combat like in Anno 1503 again.

I really liked Anno 1503's ability to control individual units and explore land with an explorer.

stylisticsagi
03-30-2018, 11:42 AM
combat in anno should be slow and expensive.
I liked the 1404 system best altough i must say there was room for improvement.
I don't believe in single units being able to do lot's of damage to an undefended island...
Perhaps it could work if all your buildings had some degree of returning fire.
therefore an island with next to nothing would be easely conquered whilst a heavy industry island even without military presence would require quite some soldiers to take over.

But none of this matters since land combat is not going to be in the game and will probably even with dlc never make it.

GameMasterFox
03-31-2018, 04:37 AM
Given that I've practically played every Anno game out there... I say that until the Anno team can manage between map size and combat design, land combat shouldn't be included.

If you have to add more 'realism' to the entire thing, have a requirement of marine boats to take an island. Depending how many intact military structures (i.e. garrisons, forts, bases, and the like) there are and how large the colony is (a colony that has reached to the top of the civilization tree will put up more of a fight than a smattering of resource extraction structures), you require a minimum amount of marine boats to take the island. This is both a cheaper (in that the vast majority of the infrastructure is intact) and more expensive (the most populous and/or well-defended colonies require a lot of marine boats to invade and the fact that you now have to satisfy an entirely different faction's needs and the problems of having a totally different faction in your population pool...) method of dealing with opponents.

Anno games have a history of combat being practically last place in the grand scheme of things though, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Kevin_Ar182
04-03-2018, 01:02 AM
I always considered Anno to be a game that mixes RTS land&sea combat with city building. That is why I liked the series.

As much as I loved the series for it's RTS combat, I found combat in Anno 1404 to be very annoying.
1. The AI "cheats" in 1404, getting free ships through diplomacy instead of building them. This means I have to waste my time doing diplomacy tricks to also get ships (which I hate, because I can't spend that time building).
2. You can only build good ships and troops when the game is half over! This makes the AI attacking in the early game super annoying.
3. You can't build while paused, meaning I have to waste most of my game managing the armies and I can't spend time actually designing the cities.

As a side note: I hate don't like ship combat in Anno 1404; it is too costly to build a ship, requires constant micromanagement, and it is too easy too lose all your ships. (I actually like the ship battles, but hate how I have to constantly babysit my ships.)

petyo2018
04-10-2018, 09:36 AM
I miss the land war.
There is no excitement in the game without war, so it's over after 2 days.
Of course you can make a Facebook FarmVill! It did not take 10 years to wait.

stylisticsagi
04-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Kevin_ar182
I completly agree with this. We should have more cheap early ships. I can even live with purchasing cheap bad ships from npc's but not with diplomacy.
As for building i think anno should enable ghost building, being able to build without building and the building get's constructed whenever the funds and resources are available.
It would certainly help with early house building and not waiting for the lumberers all the time and then you would have more time designing your city.

The game should indeed do something about not having to micro but i guess this is a difficult task.

VincentTH
04-11-2018, 07:23 AM
It would be a shame if Anno1800 does not have the land combat that was in 1404. I understand that 2070 does not have it, but Anno1404+Venice is the best game in the series IMHO, and land combat is a big part of that game!!!!

Ubi-O5
04-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Hey folks,

our blogpost today contains an update on our thoughts regarding the military in Anno 1800. Check it out here (https://www.anno-union.com/en/devblog-an-update-on-military-in-anno-1800/).

petyo2018
04-14-2018, 09:59 AM
:(:(:(

Hey folks,

our blogpost today contains an update on our thoughts regarding the military in Anno 1800. Check it out here (https://www.anno-union.com/en/devblog-an-update-on-military-in-anno-1800/).

W0ke.
04-17-2018, 07:19 AM
I want Anno 1701 2.

guest-9UKKxdQU
04-21-2018, 12:46 AM
2018 and you can't add land combat, nice joke ;) you got me

Thorgias
05-01-2018, 11:13 AM
I find the war system in ANNO 1404 simply the best, and i belief that the same system would do really good in 1800. I belief that the reasons why people don't like this system is that it was too slow and didn't have enough options but hey, this could easily get better with more options to your units. and maybe let the construction of the camp not be forced.
It was the time of Napoleon (ich). So let them walk in groups, and after a minute stationary they would setup some tents, but when you want to move them again while building tents there is no delay and they are of to there next destination. :)
What also would be nice is to put your own campements together. Like there are different units: Cavalry, Infantry, Artillery and some with muskets. If a big campement has 6 slots you could choose how many of those you want in that campement. So you can make a lot of different camps with all their functions or just very good in one.

I've told about this before in a future blog post

Thorgias
05-01-2018, 11:15 AM
sorry i mean previous blog post... silly me :p

Liightbriinger
05-07-2018, 10:05 AM
I was a fan of land military too but 1800 seems to have a really cool naval combat system. where you can even take over enemies' islands in different ways.

As long as naval combat is taken seriously with exciting graphics and possibilities, i'm happy.