PDA

View Full Version : newb question: i-16/i-153 engine keeps dying

XyZspineZyX
06-22-2003, 11:25 PM
I've just recently got il-2 forgoten battles and don't have that much experience with flight sims. A lot of the time when I fly an i-16 or i-153, the engine quits after a few minutes and won't start again. At first i thought i was overheating the engine by putting the throttle to 110% too much, but this still happens if i never go over 100% and it never says engine overheat.

What's the problem? Am I stalling the plane too much or otherwise being too hard on the engine? Is it something to do with engine management settings?

XyZspineZyX
06-22-2003, 11:25 PM
I've just recently got il-2 forgoten battles and don't have that much experience with flight sims. A lot of the time when I fly an i-16 or i-153, the engine quits after a few minutes and won't start again. At first i thought i was overheating the engine by putting the throttle to 110% too much, but this still happens if i never go over 100% and it never says engine overheat.

What's the problem? Am I stalling the plane too much or otherwise being too hard on the engine? Is it something to do with engine management settings?

XyZspineZyX
06-22-2003, 11:27 PM
If you have advanced engine management enabled, the I-153/I-16 engines will cut out under negative g because of fuel starvation. Just don't pull negative g!

Regards,

RocketDog.

XyZspineZyX
06-22-2003, 11:33 PM
I'm not going to add anything to what RocketDog said because I'm a 2-axis-2-buttoner myself so I don't have any of the advanced stuff activated, due to a lack of switches. However, I will add that if you turn the engine of the I-16 off in mid-flight it won't restart, since the original plane required starting by a ground crew. So never manually switch it off unless you really have to, or you'll be hiking home /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-22-2003, 11:39 PM
delete

Message Edited on 06/22/0311:40PM by BBB462cid

XyZspineZyX
06-22-2003, 11:55 PM
I'm pretty sure this was happening before i turned advanced engine management on, but i could be wrong.

If i can't restart the engine in midflight, what if i somehow managed to land without my engine. Could i restart then?

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:00 AM
Simple explenation:

You are forcing the nose of the plane down too hard. Both planes ues gravity-feed carbs. Forcing the nose down too quickly causes the gas to become weightless... kind of like when you drive really fast over small hill, which raises you out of your seat... same situation: the gas wants to go airborne, rather than into the intake manifold.

I hate it when people say: Oh, thats happening because you pull negative G's. Its not enough of an explantaion.

In order to push into a fast dive, you need to bank left or right till your wings are vertical, then use your rudder to pull the nose down. Once the dive is started, bank back till your wings are level again. Your nose should be at a steep angle, while your engine should be still running.

For shallow dives, just ease the stick forward slowly.

A bit of practice in the Quick Mission Builder with either plane (no enemies) will have you diving like a pro in no time.

<font face="Courier New">
&nbspBaldieJr
_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.
Whiners don't play vulchers
(er, winners)
</font>

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:02 AM
The engine stalls when you get negative g's with complex engine management turned off too...trust me, I've done it lots of times. (You learn to roll inverted before chasing after the guy in your sights though.)

What you have to do is glide back to the base and restart, or just try to land on a flat spot and restart your engine.

Good luck with li'l Tina Turner! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Ok I understand what's going on now. Thanks for you help, everyone.

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:27 AM
Just think of the old war movies where all the planes in a flight would roll into a dive rather than just nosing down and do it like that. Now you know why they did it in those old movies http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

An added advantage is you actually get better vis on the target that way.