PDA

View Full Version : Iced Buffalo really rustled my jimmies...

Tundra 793
01-12-2018, 11:55 PM
I don't feel good *****ing like this, but I just gotta get it out.

While I appreciate the teams quick action in reworking the Vikings winter Mask (though it seems like they just fixed it? Like it was released in an unfinished state, the rework just looks like finishing it) it's still, terrible.

The Knights and Samurai's Masks (both included) seem much more thematically consistent. The Vikings Masks makes me feel like no one in the art department has any idea what to actually make for the Vikings.

Knights Masks; Flaming Blue Skull, Tundra Gryphon.

Samurai Masks; Demon Oni, Northern Dragon.

Viking Masks; Bird skull, and buffalo?

I'm baffled. I kinda like, or at least tolerate the Viking Halloween mask, 'cause the effects are pretty awesome, even if the weird bird skull makes zero sense. The buffalo boggles my mind so hard, I can smell the wires in my brain frying when I try to make sense of it.

For one, the other factions get awesome mythical animals for masks. Buffalo's not only aren't mythic, they are in no way connected to Vikings, either in For Honor's universe, or historically.
On top of that, the mask itself isn't even a buffalo. It's a vikings face.

Before I conclude my rant, here's a free list of animals thematically appropriate for the Vikings;

Polar Bears.
Bears.
Wolves.
Ravens.
Dragons.
The Midgard Serpent.
Krakens.
More dragons.
Literally any animal you cannot see in Westerns.

Alright, it's out of my system. I can try to move on now.

Ubi dudes; Is it too late to ask for a refund for the Mask outfit? If it isn't, do I have to go through Support to get it?

David_gorda
01-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Yeah the mask still looks like ****. Shame would used steel to get one if ot wasnt so bad.

Bl0wH4rd74728
01-13-2018, 12:28 AM
I didnt realize the mask has been officially updated and now from what im hearing im rather dreading going to look. I thought they would scrap the whole buffalo thing. I mean come on a BEAR would be amazing hell even a saber tooth makes more sense oh well i just wont bother using the steel then

Bl0wH4rd74728
01-13-2018, 12:38 AM
Okay i just looked im assuing you guys only saw it on the warriors den

Tundra 793
01-13-2018, 12:42 AM
Okay i just looked im assuing you guys only saw it on the warriors den

The Den's the only place to see it.

ChampionRuby50g
01-13-2018, 12:47 AM
Agreed. When I heard the team was going to rework the mask, I was expecting something other than a buffalo, or at least some other cool effects added (such as how the Knights get wings of ice) and the actual mask looking better. Tundra is right in saying it looks like the team just finalized the mask after releasing an unfinished product and quickly added in glowing eyes and made the teeth a bit more noticeable. It is nice that they responded quickly and announced to rework, but I'm sure many off us would have preferred the dev team to actually spend some time on it and make sure they got it right, rather than trying to rush it out again. All your points are solid ones Tundra. I'm glad I didn't buy the mask in the event and decided to wait until the rework was shown. Safe to say im saving the steel I have instead of buying that mask.

bob333e
01-13-2018, 04:08 AM
Totally agree.

When you say 'rework', it means at least 65%-70% of the thing has been modified from the ground up. That's what I was expecting as they stated 'Frost Wind Viking Mask rework'.

I nearly puked in disgust as I saw the 'new' mask in the Den. I'm glad I never bought the outfit and I sure hope some sort of outfit refund gets issued, and they re-rework the mask :') but knowing their laziness in the design side these days... what are the odds of this happening? They won't even dish out proper NEW armor, and from what I've heard, half of the Frost Wind weapons had visibly recycled/repurposed parts, just renamed as something else.

Design-wise post-launch, this is becoming a train-wreck. The real design ended long ago, with the production of all the character models, maps, environmental elements, weather effects, all the different customization stuff, all the initial weapons, all the movesets and fighting styles. Nowadays it's the recycle meta.

RoyalP.
01-13-2018, 03:09 PM
I was actually looking forward for this new rework, and thought ubi would pull through for the Vikings this time. Sadly mistaken and was let down come to see that "So Much Effort" was put into "reworking" the Vikings mask. If you're going to put out a product that is 1/3rd quality of others it should be 1/3rd the price, because as of right now the "Reworked" version/post rework version aren't even worth 5k steel, for how low quality they are.

Hormly
01-13-2018, 03:41 PM
I had a good laugh when i saw that it looked exactly the same 😅 oh well, in the grand scheme of things its a silly thing to get grumpy for.

Id say we just let it go "mission failed, we'll get em next time"

Tundra 793
01-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Id say we just let it go "mission failed, we'll get em next time"

That would probably be the healthy, mature thing to do. Maybe I should cut down on my steak and whisky/mead diet too.

Nah, we need us a Bear Mask.

Devils-_-legacy
01-13-2018, 04:21 PM
All the norse dragons look more like snakes tho not even why the Viking got a buffalo(that's native American culture white buffalo) they could of put anything from the norse mythology and it would be better if was hoping for the Fenrir(giant wolf) mask for Halloween tbh would of went great with howl at the moon emote 😣

Hormly
01-13-2018, 04:34 PM
That would probably be the healthy, mature thing to do. Maybe I should cut down on my steak and whisky/mead diet too.

Nah, we need us a Bear Mask.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2v0iqfk.jpg

????

UbiJurassic
01-13-2018, 10:17 PM
We definitely understand that the mask wasn't exactly what players were expecting when we announced that the mask was receiving a rework. We saw lots of discussion and speculation on what you’d rather see for the mask, and we’ll be banking those great ideas for future masks. However, there was no way for us to start a brand new design from the ground up and turn it around quickly for players.

King_of_games-SP
01-13-2018, 10:36 PM
I dont know what you all were expecting. I could have told you it wasnt just getting straight up changed. I for one love the finished product. I understand when it first came out it was rather lackluster especially compared to the other factions masks but its now on the same level as the others. Nice job to the devs on the super quick fix tho it honestly just feels like its finally a finished product.

Tundra 793
01-13-2018, 11:30 PM
However, there was no way for us to start a brand new design from the ground up and turn it around quickly for players.

Completely understandable, and I do appreciate the effort going into creating new outfits and masks. But I for one wasn't expecting this to be a quick turnaround, essentially just fixing the Buffalo mask. I'd be perfectly happy waiting longer, for a cooler mask. And even with this quick fix, we're still waiting like 2 weeks for the upgrades to kick in.

Also, wouldn't the work that needed to be done more or less be, replacing only the Mask portion? The effects, color scheme and patterns could all remain the same. All I'd want, and I'm guessing many others would too, is a new animal, and symbols befitting it.

I dont know what you all were expecting. I could have told you it wasnt just getting straight up changed.

I can't tell you what I was expecting either. But I can tell you I wasn't expecting this rework to essentially just being making the Mask work.

The wording used by the developers meant to me, that they were going to do more than just polish the Mask.

I for one love the finished product. I understand when it first came out it was rather lackluster especially compared to the other factions masks but its now on the same level as the others. Nice job to the devs on the super quick fix tho it honestly just feels like its finally a finished product.

Taste is of course subjective. There were people who were quite happy with the original Mask, and that's completely fine.

But to me, it still isn't the same level as others. It works like them, sure, but the concept I think, is still very lackluster compared to the Knights and Samurai's mask.

Being a Viking since launch day maybe makes me more sensitive to this issue than I probably should be, but so far both the Vikings event Masks, I feel, are not as "cool" as the Knights and Samurai's are.

bob333e
01-13-2018, 11:34 PM
We definitely understand that the mask wasn't exactly what players were expecting when we announced that the mask was receiving a rework. We saw lots of discussion and speculation on what you’d rather see for the mask, and we’ll be banking those great ideas for future masks. However, there was no way for us to start a brand new design from the ground up and turn it around quickly for players.

Thanks for responding, UbiJurassic. If I may: the amount of time allocated for the rework, which started sometime during Christmas (late December) and until release which is somewhere mid-March, or possibly start of April, that's a bit more than 3 months. I just fail to see how they would need 3 entire months, or a longer timeframe, to design one single mask, complete with effects and collisions, from the ground up.
Upon mentioning the word 'rework', one tends to believe it's gonna indeed be something new and something better; not added trimming and glow on the existing model. That's adjustments, not a rework. I also cannot digest how they concluded to keep this mask model considering all the negative feedback around the theme and shape alone, other than its buggy effects and unfinished look.

Here's looking forward they don't recycle further masks and give all Factions equal love and detail in the future, as well as logical real-world references pertaining to each Faction (seriously, how are buffalos connected to Vikings?)

I might actually do a thread around an artistic impression for a fitting Frost Viking Mask and how it should have been, if I do get the time. And should this happen, I'd like your thoughts on that as well, if that's not asking too much. I trust your judgment.

Depressd_Cent
01-14-2018, 12:34 AM
I don't feel good *****ing like this, but I just gotta get it out.

While I appreciate the teams quick action in reworking the Vikings winter Mask (though it seems like they just fixed it? Like it was released in an unfinished state, the rework just looks like finishing it) it's still, terrible.

The Knights and Samurai's Masks (both included) seem much more thematically consistent. The Vikings Masks makes me feel like no one in the art department has any idea what to actually make for the Vikings.

Knights Masks; Flaming Blue Skull, Tundra Gryphon.

Samurai Masks; Demon Oni, Northern Dragon.

Viking Masks; Bird skull, and buffalo?

I'm baffled. I kinda like, or at least tolerate the Viking Halloween mask, 'cause the effects are pretty awesome, even if the weird bird skull makes zero sense. The buffalo boggles my mind so hard, I can smell the wires in my brain frying when I try to make sense of it.

For one, the other factions get awesome mythical animals for masks. Buffalo's not only aren't mythic, they are in no way connected to Vikings, either in For Honor's universe, or historically.
On top of that, the mask itself isn't even a buffalo. It's a vikings face.

Before I conclude my rant, here's a free list of animals thematically appropriate for the Vikings;

Polar Bears.
Bears.
Wolves.
Ravens.
Dragons.
The Midgard Serpent.
Krakens.
More dragons.
Literally any animal you cannot see in Westerns.

Alright, it's out of my system. I can try to move on now.

Ubi dudes; Is it too late to ask for a refund for the Mask outfit? If it isn't, do I have to go through Support to get it?

the vikings should've got an ice bear mask just like how the knights got an ice eagle and samurai got an ice dragon

bob333e
01-14-2018, 12:37 AM
the vikings should've got an ice bear mask just like how the knights got an ice eagle and samurai got an ice dragon

Frost bear, frost sabretooth predator, or frost direwolf would be my personal picks. I'm more inclined to side with the direwolf as I feel it fits both genders better than bears and sabretooth cats, but that's just me.

Also, something that just crossed my mind: the mask effects should differ slightly according to gender. Have more feminine features for female characters, and bulkier features for male characters. Instead of being copy-paste for both genders.

Depressd_Cent
01-14-2018, 12:53 AM
Frost bear, frost sabretooth predator, or frost direwolf would be my personal picks. I'm more inclined to side with the direwolf as I feel it fits both genders better than bears and sabretooth cats, but that's just me.

Also, something that just crossed my mind: the mask effects should differ slightly according to gender. Have more feminine features for female characters, and bulkier features for male characters. Instead of being copy-paste for both genders.

I feel that the frost bear is more of a viking thing like a more viking feel for the winter; but thats just me. The dire wolf mask would be good for a different event or for the new masks for Halloween if they make new ones

bob333e
01-14-2018, 12:59 AM
I feel that the frost bear is more of a viking thing like a more viking feel for the winter; but thats just me. The dire wolf mask would be good for a different event or for the new masks for Halloween if they make new ones

Nah, Werewolf would be good for Halloween.

But.... yeah, having two wolf masks would probably get silly at that point. Frost bear for winter event and Werewolf for Halloween sounds more legit.

Tundra 793
01-14-2018, 02:16 AM
I'm a little confused by you two's references to "ice/frost bears". Do you want like a mythical, literal "frost" bear? Or just an actual polar bear?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Polar_Bear_-_Alaska_%28cropped%29.jpg

That's pretty Viking already. And for Halloween; Zombie polar bear.

I'm more inclined to side with the direwolf as I feel it fits both genders better than bears and sabretooth cats, but that's just me.

Polar bears fit all genders.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/cocktails/images/c/cf/Rumple_Minze_ad.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/400?cb=20131108014038

Hormly
01-14-2018, 06:24 AM
Everyone knows bears are genderless and reproduce with a cloud of spores

Tundra 793
01-15-2018, 03:34 AM
Everyone knows bears are genderless and reproduce with a cloud of spores

https://m.popkey.co/053f50/XLAyJ.gif

Honestly I thought they laid eggs...

Hormly
01-15-2018, 05:45 AM
you know what animal is native to Scandinavia and is so far underrepresented?

Beavers

http://i65.tinypic.com/biup1k.jpg

Now I know what you're thinking, beavers arent very scary, right? WRONG! Beavers are the second largest rodent in the world, have front teeth that never stop growing, and are responsible for at least one human death in all of recorded history, according to a 20 second google search.

The_B0G_
01-15-2018, 01:39 PM
you know what animal is native to Scandinavia and is so far underrepresented?

Beavers

http://i65.tinypic.com/biup1k.jpg

Now I know what you're thinking, beavers arent very scary, right? WRONG! Beavers are the second largest rodent in the world, have front teeth that never stop growing, and are responsible for at least one human death in all of recorded history, according to a 20 second google search.

To be fair, I'm sure at least one buffalo fell over and killed a hunter while they were being hunted to near extinction lol

I would have been happy with even a boar, wild boar used to kill people all the time, vicious little b****rds.

PDXGorechild
01-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Wolves. Stick to snowy Wolf themes. Everyone loves Wolves.

OoKaMi_79
01-15-2018, 05:40 PM
How about a Boar 🐗?....

Devils-_-legacy
01-15-2018, 07:05 PM
I can get behind the wolf mask/ornement I was hoping they would attly do things like this as they are in norse mythology like Fenrir wolf (massive wolf/Loki's child)

Hormly
01-16-2018, 05:45 AM
How about a Boar 🐗?....

Youre a bore

Heh

Haemmerst0rm
01-16-2018, 02:45 PM

Can you promise us that the next viking masks are wayyy much better then the knights and the samurai? Most of your designs for the vikings are very poor and very ugly to be honest. Be creative, be nice to the vikings please!......

GeneraISoIo
01-16-2018, 08:17 PM
I am adding that I also agree the Viking mask was a let down, even the rework. Thanks go to the Devs and Designers for busting out a rework in a quick manner. However, not the rework I was looking for. I was looking for a more drastic change. I am realizing that they can't make that drastic of changes in a short time, so what I would say is get it right the first time. Vikings should get more love in the next event but there needs to be more consistency when it comes to items and designs that go across factions. Vikings have gotten sh@t on in my opinion. From their frost crystals being only on their legs, to now having a much less "cool" mask. They need some serious love.

UbiJurassic
01-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Thanks for responding, UbiJurassic. If I may: the amount of time allocated for the rework, which started sometime during Christmas (late December) and until release which is somewhere mid-March, or possibly start of April, that's a bit more than 3 months. I just fail to see how they would need 3 entire months, or a longer timeframe, to design one single mask, complete with effects and collisions, from the ground up.
Upon mentioning the word 'rework', one tends to believe it's gonna indeed be something new and something better; not added trimming and glow on the existing model. That's adjustments, not a rework. I also cannot digest how they concluded to keep this mask model considering all the negative feedback around the theme and shape alone, other than its buggy effects and unfinished look.

Here's looking forward they don't recycle further masks and give all Factions equal love and detail in the future, as well as logical real-world references pertaining to each Faction (seriously, how are buffalos connected to Vikings?)

I might actually do a thread around an artistic impression for a fitting Frost Viking Mask and how it should have been, if I do get the time. And should this happen, I'd like your thoughts on that as well, if that's not asking too much. I trust your judgment.

The reworked mask will be coming with Season 5, which actually isn't too far off. Currently there is only one turn left in the Faction War with 7 days left on it. After that ends, we'll have an off season period for awhile before we go full steam ahead into Season 5. We'll be looking to share an exact start date with players soon.

I'll definitely be on the lookout for your thread on that. :)

Can you promise us that the next viking masks are wayyy much better then the knights and the samurai? Most of your designs for the vikings are very poor and very ugly to be honest. Be creative, be nice to the vikings please!......

I can't make any promises about future content, but I can assure you that the team loves each faction equally. We certainly don't want players to feel that they are being given the short end of the stick just because they prefer a p-articular faction.

AlexHuaTian
01-16-2018, 09:09 PM
I purchased it just to have it. But yeah. Compared to the other masks. It could use a bit of work. But maybe its just Karma for having the Vikings win most of the time. lol

AlexHuaTian
01-16-2018, 09:11 PM
Maybe a wolf head. Like Skol or something