PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Wingman Force Feedback USB Joystick

Eaglez47
08-22-2005, 04:31 PM
thinking about getting this joystick, anyone have it and can tell me if i should get this joystick?

Eaglez47
08-22-2005, 04:31 PM
thinking about getting this joystick, anyone have it and can tell me if i should get this joystick?

-HH-Dubbo
08-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Personally I have had nothing but problems with Logitech joysticks. Others here can sing their virtues but after returning 2 inside of a month after the rudder stopped working properly, I have developed a tendendy to stay away from them. They look good though and are fairly comfortable.

LeadSpitter_
08-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Get something else the wingman 3d is one of the absolute worst joysticks around.

timholt
08-22-2005, 08:59 PM
I went through 2 Wingmans in about 15 months. Purchased a CH stick a couple of years back and would not buy any other brand now.

Bearcat99
08-22-2005, 09:52 PM
I wouldnt. Logitech makes nice mice, speakers, even keyboards and headphones.... but joysticks? FUGHEDDABOUDDIT. Try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html). Even if you went with an Evo it would be better than a Logitech. Consider an X-45 if you are thinking about getting rudder pedals in the not too distant future.

Kocur_
08-22-2005, 10:57 PM
As above! Logitechs are great...for first 30 minutes...Had two...

Slater_51st
08-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Had Logitech Wingman Extreeme 3d or something like that. My first stick with a twisty handle. It was great, til ~3 weeks after warantee(1 year), expired.

Been on a MS Sidewinder Prescision 2 stick for the past 4+ years. It's just undergone its first hicups, and I've relegated it to rudder duties, and my 3 year old Saitek Cybord 3d Gold USB is now my main stick.

A note on the Wingman stick, it lost all aileron control, a year or so after it broke, I pulled it apart, and it turned out to be very simple to fix. By that time, however, I'd grown too accustomed to my other sticks so it was trashed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

My vote would be something other than a logitech, but I can't really speak for a force feedback stick.

Hope this helps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

S! Slate

Tipo_Man
08-23-2005, 04:13 AM
Forget about Logitech joysticks. Even if you are lucky and get a working one, it will be unsuitable fot this game. By design they have very small degree of stick movement, thats why its very hard to "feel" the verge, for example the point where your aircraft turns without stalling... And this is the most important factor in batlles.
Furthermore this will tire out your wrist quickly and you will loose the pleasure of playing.

Get a Saitek

I have a Saitek Cyborg Graphite, it costs only $20 and has excellent performace.
After breaking several Logitech joysticks I decided to start buying a cheap Saitek each 3-4 months, but this one works perfectly more than a year

rnzoli
08-23-2005, 07:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eaglez47:
thinking about getting this joystick, anyone have it and can tell me if i should get this joystick? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One word: nooooooooooooooooooooooo..........!!!!!!!!!!!

Force feedback is okay, but the internal design is so screwed up, that the controls become totally inaccurate in a matter of months or weeks.

Nick_Toznost
08-23-2005, 08:39 AM
When I first got the original IL2 back in 2001 I bought a Saitek (can't remember which model) joystick which lasted me 3 weeks until 2 of the fire buttons stuck.

I then bought a second hand Microsoft force feedback which I've been using ever since. It's survived nearly 4 years of, sometimes, drunken aggressive dogfighting. The feedback itself has weakened a great deal since and any crevice on the device, between buttons etc, is encrusted with grime. But I can still fly.

That's durability in my book.
I'm generally wary of any microsoft products, but they, on this occaision appear to have made a toughie.

Got my eye on the Saitek X52 though. The one with the LCD panel and separate throttle device. Is it worth it anyone?

rnzoli
08-23-2005, 08:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick_Toznost:
I'm generally wary of any microsoft products, but they, on this occaision appear to have made a toughie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that explains why they stopped producing it. It was way too high quality for their business concept.

Initially, I wanted to buy that type, although an original cost about 3 times the logitech wingman. But it was already annouced that they (MS) stopped production of the whole line.

notamuppet
08-23-2005, 11:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick_Toznost:

Got my eye on the Saitek X52 though. The one with the LCD panel and separate throttle device. Is it worth it anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> YES it is!

gbollin
10-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Started with a Thrustmaster Flight Control STick. When I got a computer with USB ports tried Logitecch sticks they do not last.
Found a TM TOPGUN stick in USB and use it with X-45. I SAW X-52 in Best Buy and did not like yhe feel of it. I just ordered a Ch Products
Combat 568 stick. Maybe I will finally replace my Tpgun stick, Maybe.