PDA

View Full Version : V speeds

Capt-Hawg
05-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Are V speeds published for FB aircraft ?

Sucka free since 1969.......
Fat Boys Forever............

Capt-Hawg
05-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Are V speeds published for FB aircraft ?

Capt-Hawg
05-26-2004, 09:30 PM
I no these aren't real airplanes. Real air planes have V speeds. Are the F.B. Aircraft modeled with simular(hence Flight Simulator)V speeds. If so, What are they ?

Capt-Hawg
05-27-2004, 02:01 AM
Is this a game or a flight sim ?
Pilots don't hop in an airplane and fly it without knowing V speed.

Any body know V speeds

SUPERAEREO
05-27-2004, 03:41 AM
Do the planes in FB look like airliners to you?

We are talking windsock-era technology and war here, not air transport.

If you want V1 and V2 speeds you can load up FS2004 and fly a Jumbo.

S!

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
Chuck Yaeger

IL2-chuter
05-27-2004, 03:47 AM
They just didn't call them Vspeeds back then (rotation, stall, max gear op . . .)

Hope that helps. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

"I fly only Full Real in Il2 Forgotten Battles." -Mark Donohue

Jezzadog
05-27-2004, 05:24 AM
I'm with you, Capt-Hawg, pilots need to know airspeeds relevant to the aircraft they operate. By extension (and IMNSHO) flight simming purists seeking realism should (at least) acknowledge their existence - if not fly to them - if they are available

What speeds are you after: High end, low end, configuration (gear/flaps/weapons)? Have not found any documented, but some are detailed on placards around the cockpit of some aircraft (eg Spitfire limits for flap extension and VME).

If you are looking for low end stuff - it's mostly related to stalling speed (Vs) in straight flight. Rotate speed, initial climb speed and approach speed can be calculated using Vs - (eg Vrotate at 1.0 Vs, Vclimbout at 1.3 Vs and Vapproach at 1.3 Vs - for the particular weight and configuration). I don't pretend these were used circa WW2, but would probably be used if the aircraft were to be developed today.

Contact me on PT if you want tips on testing for Vs.

Can't help with high end stuff or configuration speeds because the sim seems insensitive to these.

For completeness it would be nice to have the data. Realistically though, there are lot of aircraft and for each aircraft there are a lot of variables of aircraft weight and configuration.

Maybe there's a task for some keen researcher out there.

Kefuddle
05-27-2004, 06:01 AM
They most certainly were used! How else would a pilot know his best angle of climb, best rate of climb, best approach speed, etc, etc.

The key speeds for any aircraft are
Vs (stall clean)
Vs1 stall landing config)
Vat best speed over the threshold (modern equiv is Vref)
Vx (best angle of climb)
Vy (best rate of climb)
Vfe (fastest flap extention speed)
Vle (fastest gear extention speed)
Vlo (fastest gear retraction speed)
Vno (max normal operating speed)
Vne (never (ever) exceed speed)

For twins:

Vyse (best single engine climb speed)

There are tonnes more to do with engine failures, decisions speed, minimum control, aerodynamic/power qualities. But those above are the "must know ones".

K0TB
05-27-2004, 06:43 AM
Take a look at the charts in IL2 compare. Most V speeds (except gear & flap limitations) can be derived from these charts either directly or by extrapolating the curves. I keep a table of the speeds for the ac I fly -- very useful.

JJaguar
05-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Zoom in close and look around the cockpit. Some planes (but not all) have placards that tell you some V speeds, especially for things like gear and flap limitations.

Capt-Hawg
05-27-2004, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SUPERAEREO:
Do the planes in FB look like airliners to you?

We are talking windsock-era technology and war here, not air transport.

If you want V1 and V2 speeds you can load up FS2004 and fly a Jumbo.

S!

-----------------------------------------------

Yes the planes look like airplane ....... V2? what is V2?
I just wanted to know V speeds as any piiot not gammer would . Most pilots with any since wouldn't hop in an airplane and not at least ask or wonder what they were. Sounds like you might want to brush up flight school. Fs2004 is good , X plane as well.

Is there a list and is this Game modled with V speeds in mind ?

Thank

[This message was edited by Capt-Hawg on Thu May 27 2004 at 07:37 AM.]

Kefuddle
05-27-2004, 12:37 PM
V1 is decision speed. Take-off or brake. It has an allowance of 2 seconds of thinking time. Basically, if there is a problem prior to V1 then you take off. If it is after V1 then you take the problem into the air as after V1 you will not be able to stop in time. Mainly applied to multi-engined heavies where stopping distance is as critical as take-off distance.

V2 is TOSS (Take-off Safety Speed). It is
essentially Vs*1.2. Generally you need to get to V2 by 50ft for a safe climb out. All airplanes are flown to V2 in normal operations. I have to fly to it when I fly in my little dinky Grumman AA5. For commercial ops it is mandatory.

Dawg-of-death
05-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Cool ...... how do you like your AA5 . I have looked at AA1A... but still dreaming.

Im gonna guess that no one has a list of V speeds for AEP............... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/51.gif

http://www.conquestaviation.com/assist/v_speeds.htm#top ... or ... even beter http://www.auf.asn.au/groundschool/umodule2.html

S~