PDA

View Full Version : Faction War. Thoughts?

GeneraISoIo
12-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Hey all, I have concerns on how the faction war has been playing out. It seems to be pretty lopsided. Last season the Samurai were the only contenders with only one round win against the knights 3/4 round wins. Now, this season, it appears the Vikings are going to take it in the first 3 rounds. It seemed more balanced in seasons 1 and 2 and it has gradually become more unbalanced with the addition of more territories. I do like the improvements to the faction war, such as the suggestions to where to place and the display of how many troops you and your faction have actually applied. I always place my banner and manually place troops most of the time, and kinda feel like I am making an impact, less than I did in season 1 and 2, but I do still kinda feel like I am helping. What is everyone else's thoughts on the faction war? If the Vikings win in the first 3 rounds, I will be keeping a close eye next season for another 3 round win. If so, things will definitely need to change.

Illyrian_King
12-20-2017, 05:34 PM
!!! REWORK !!!

You don't feel the Faction War at all, as long as you fight in faction mixed teams against people of your own faction :p

SwellChemosabe
12-20-2017, 05:47 PM
I always respect a healthy amount of skepticism and no one would blame you for thinking this, in fact i'm sure others would agree that something smells a little fishy. But think of it this way, if we're sticking to the "rigged faction war" theory.

In the first season it could be argued that the war was rigged around what Ubisoft was ready to release to the players. Meaning that Cent and Shin and the two maps associated with season 2 were already completed long before the results of the faction war, so Ubisoft rigged the war to favor the vikings. Same case with the following season 2 regarding Glad and Highlander and season 3 so on and so forth.

However if we look at the actual state of the characters and maps that were released at the time of their release it's not hard to tell that characters like Highlander and Gladiator were far closer to perfection than cent and shin what with balance issues and what not. Of course, every hero will need adjusting once finally tested in the field, but if everything was per-ordaned why wouldn't Ubisoft rig the faction war to match a release of their further developed and less broken characters to keep the players happy?

It can also be argued that the first season of the faction war was a no favorites, no holds conflict and the end result shaped in what way the devs would release content following the release of Cent and Shin.

If either were the case then what purpose could Ubi have for rigging the faction war further after they've already delivered all of the content planned for this year? If the second scenario stands true, then the results of this season reflect that of the second season; meaning that the vikings who are fewer in number, generate a greater number of war assets per faction member. Furthermore it was explained that viking members performed better overall in each match, which also impacts the war assets generated. To top that, Vikings were much more strategic in how they placed war assets. As was in season 1 we are seeing in season 4. Vikings, the faction with the fewest members who perform better in most matches, are placing their war assets strategically as though they are looking at the bigger picture of "what happens if we do this over that".

From what i've been following so far, and please correct me anybody if i'm wrong, but for the last two rounds the samurai and knights have been more focused on one another than the vikings, all the vikings are doing is securing whatever the other two fail to.

All of this might seem like mindless rambling but what other explanation is there? We're able to see the results of every campaign and every turn in real time with the latest update to the faction war and with that we have an enormous advantage, all of us, to better coordinate with the members of our faction as to where we attack and defend and yet the vikings are still winning. I still remain skeptical about some faction war aspects but it's hard to believe Ubi would go to so much trouble with rigging the faction war all this time, just to give the vikings a clear cut victory in the final season of the year, especially when no other evidence has been provided to support an intent to do so.

Vakris_One
12-20-2017, 06:04 PM
I think the Vikings have simply become much more organised and involved in the faction war whereas the Knights and Samurai playerbases seem to have lost the will to play the Faction War seriously or with any degree of competitiveness. The Knights have regressed into just wanting that Vultcano of theirs and the Samurai are just plain old demoralised with the way they got screwed over twice by the Faction War rewards.

First when they won they got the crappiest most bare minimum effort FW ornament to date. And then when the Knights won after them and got better rewards, i.e. 3 seperate ornaments for each faction that was the kick to the balls that pretty much broke the Samurai player's spirit and ended their interest in the Faction War.

Ultimately winning the Faction War comes down to whichever faction happens to have the most active players (as apposed to dead accounts or those barely logging in every 3-5 days or so) and how many of those active players are interested in deploying assets and playing the Faction War. From the Samurai's end it feels like maybe 15 to 25 people tops are actually playing the Faction War and deploying assets strategically. The other hundreds of players don't care about it outside of occassionally plomping down a flag somewhere randomly for the hell of it. The Vikings on the other hand, it feels like there are at least 40-50 players actively deploying assets manually and playing this to win it. They come in like an avalanche when compared to the paltry by comparison efforts of a dedicated die hard few.

The FW system doesn't really keep track of who is actively participating in the war. As long as you log in every 3-4 days and play a match or two you're considered active and contributing to the faction war even though you might not even have deployed a single troop manually. So basically this results in a lot of dead weight essentially. People who couldn't give a rats arse about the faction war either way pretty much acting as a lead weight to their faction because their filling up the numbers of the faction, thereby reducing the weighting of that faction's assets but they don't deploy their assets manually. They just let those assets go to waste, essentially just farted out equally into the tiniest speck of a 0.1 percentage across every battlefield, which is useless.

In my opinion only players that manually deploy troops within every 4-5 days should be counted as part of their faction's numbers in order to reduce the impact of faction's being lumbered with dead weight. Let the players who want to contribute and are genuinley involved in the Faction War actually matter, otherwise it's not fair to be essentially sabotaged by those who either aren't interested at all in the FW part of the game or who cannot log in enough times to contribute. Let everyone get the rewards at the end if that's an issue but at least let the active and interested players lead their faction to victory. Free them from having to be pulled down by people who aren't contributing and all they are doing is just reducing the effectiveness of assets and sabotaging the efforts of the players who still give a damn.

CandleInTheDark
12-20-2017, 06:14 PM
The Knights have regressed into just wanting that Vultcano of theirs

Honestly I wish the volcano would just disappear. It felt like an albatross around our collective necks when all we had were percentages but now we can see the asset lead it's even more annoying when you consider we have a surplus there that would win or hold a further three territories.

It's sad but in the penultimate battle of the last campaign I spent two hours blocking off anything that would make the volcano active for the last battle.

GeneraISoIo
12-20-2017, 08:08 PM
I always respect a healthy amount of skepticism and no one would blame you for thinking this, in fact i'm sure others would agree that something smells a little fishy. But think of it this way, if we're sticking to the "rigged faction war" theory.

In the first season it could be argued that the war was rigged around what Ubisoft was ready to release to the players. Meaning that Cent and Shin and the two maps associated with season 2 were already completed long before the results of the faction war, so Ubisoft rigged the war to favor the vikings. Same case with the following season 2 regarding Glad and Highlander and season 3 so on and so forth.

However if we look at the actual state of the characters and maps that were released at the time of their release it's not hard to tell that characters like Highlander and Gladiator were far closer to perfection than cent and shin what with balance issues and what not. Of course, every hero will need adjusting once finally tested in the field, but if everything was per-ordaned why wouldn't Ubisoft rig the faction war to match a release of their further developed and less broken characters to keep the players happy?

It can also be argued that the first season of the faction war was a no favorites, no holds conflict and the end result shaped in what way the devs would release content following the release of Cent and Shin.

If either were the case then what purpose could Ubi have for rigging the faction war further after they've already delivered all of the content planned for this year? If the second scenario stands true, then the results of this season reflect that of the second season; meaning that the vikings who are fewer in number, generate a greater number of war assets per faction member. Furthermore it was explained that viking members performed better overall in each match, which also impacts the war assets generated. To top that, Vikings were much more strategic in how they placed war assets. As was in season 1 we are seeing in season 4. Vikings, the faction with the fewest members who perform better in most matches, are placing their war assets strategically as though they are looking at the bigger picture of "what happens if we do this over that".

From what i've been following so far, and please correct me anybody if i'm wrong, but for the last two rounds the samurai and knights have been more focused on one another than the vikings, all the vikings are doing is securing whatever the other two fail to.

All of this might seem like mindless rambling but what other explanation is there? We're able to see the results of every campaign and every turn in real time with the latest update to the faction war and with that we have an enormous advantage, all of us, to better coordinate with the members of our faction as to where we attack and defend and yet the vikings are still winning. I still remain skeptical about some faction war aspects but it's hard to believe Ubi would go to so much trouble with rigging the faction war all this time, just to give the vikings a clear cut victory in the final season of the year, especially when no other evidence has been provided to support an intent to do so.

This is a great response to the question about the FW being rigged. I, however, do not think it is rigged. I believe the FW system might just be in a bad place right now and might need adjustments. I think Valkris_One has a very good point. They need to somehow find a way to tell which players are actively participating and other who are not. Active and not active players. I know a friend of mine who is in the same faction that does not care one bit about the FW. I am trying to convince him to go to another faction if he is not going to help the faction.

SenBotsu893
12-20-2017, 08:19 PM
well everytime the faction war system gets updated you can see that the favour falls into another faction.

certain numbers get adjusted and it just caters towards a specific group.

this season its even more obviouse if you just see how much war assets the vickings get. and thats certainly not because "they play better".

it is not rigged but the whole thing is just a mathematical formula, if you change certain values you take from one group and hand it to another. its simple as that.

Helnekromancer
12-20-2017, 09:12 PM
I think one-third the Samurai just stopped playing after getting their crappy reward that looked like it was obviously made for the Vikings/Knights. The devs said they were buffing the Samurai in season 3 but all they got was nerfs and the newest Samurai is a disappointment. The Samurai has always been the underdog in the Campaign and in the Multiplayer.

Once Monster Hunter comes out, you will probably see another drop in Samurai players, probably sooner since the beta is coming out again.

This Faction War doesn't even feel like a war. Every game i play I have Vikings and Knights on my team, why? Isn't that my enemy?

Where's the Faction Events, Faction Orders, Faction Gear and Emotes or bonus rewards for Faction Loyalty?. Feels like a Faction Lottery

At first I thought the faction war was rigged, now I just stopped caring, I just want the game to stop crashing.

Vakris_One
12-20-2017, 09:30 PM
I can't speak for previous Seasons because frankly there were some really wierd occurrences in some of them. But this Season it seems that whoever has the most active FW players per number of overall members signed up to that faction has a big advantage.

If your faction has more people actively participating in the Faction War in terms of your overall faction members then you have the advantage. This is where the more players you have signed up to your faction is actually a massive disadvantage if at least half of them don't participate in the faction war.

Theoretically (since I don't know the specific numbers) the Viking faction could actually be the smallest in terms of player population but still be kicking so much pixel arse because half if not more of their population is actively participating in the FW and making manual deployments with the flag and etc. The other two may have more players but what good is that if less than half of them actually play the faction war - like the chief Faction War developer Bio Jean-Granger said, paraphrasing here, "you have to actually play it to win it."

And with the weighting system that we know the devs have in place this problem becomes even more exacerbated. This system ensures that the more members a faction has the less "weight" their assets have thereby theoretically allowing the faction(s) with less members to compete with the faction(s) that have a bigger population. In practice however this system does not take into account how active a faction's population is in playing the Faction War. So we could have a potential scenario where:

- the Vikings have 500 members
- the Knights have 650 members
- the Samurai have 800 members

But in terms of active participation in the faction war it could be going like this:
- Vikings have 290 active participants
- Knights have 310 active participants
- Samurai have 330 active participants

In this scenario the Vikings have more 50% participation from their members whereas the Knights and Samurai both have less than 50% of their members participating in the war. And the Vikings being the smallest in terms of overall population also receive the highest bonus weighting to their assets and voila! There's nothing really the other two can do to stop them unless they either:

a) up their number of active participants to over 60% (because they are reciving less weighting to their assets because they are bigger in terms of population thus they will need a bit more than 50% participation)

or

b) shed a ton of their members until they have a smaller population than the Vikings and thus they get the most weight to their asset deployments.

"A" is not really possible as you cannot communicate at all with faction members in-game and not everyone uses Discord or is even interested in it. Option "B" is not doable on the player's end as we cannot see nor kick members of a faction who are not playing the faction war.

So, TL;DR the devs need to design a better system. One that keeps track of active participation in the faction war rather than a very simplistic algorithm that blindly gives bonus weighting according to player populations and completely ignores the level of player participation.

SangLong524
12-21-2017, 12:09 AM
Honestly i stop caring sometimes after season 3. The onslaught against us Samurais can't seem to be halted. I keep wondering what the hell my comrade Samurais are doing but it's a half-hearted thought.
If we end up dead last again? well, at least we have a crate. emblem outline? pfff! ornaments? idk, being screwed over twice makes me lose faith in winning. Those reward ornaments may not be suitable for us if we win.
I'm more interested in a productive session, no disconnection and no lag-blessed Bots in God Mode.
Those Vickies can have the season for all I care. Hopefully that will put an end to FW for a time.