PDA

View Full Version : Lost a hero

Rick614
08-19-2004, 11:21 PM
I qualified on the SS347 in 1968. For the past couple of years I have belonged to the Hoosier Base sub vets group in Greenwood (Indianapolis) IN. The WWII sub vets are separate group but they are always at our meetings. No matter what lies we can think of to tell each other what we did wasn't a hill of beans to what they did. The oldest member of the WWII ers was Ed Schmidt. As he would tell us he qualified in 39 or 40, couldn't remember. Made 8 war patrols in the Pacific. Even was brought back to help crew the U-234 which surrendered in May of 1945 in Portsmouth, NH as the US Navy wanted to evaluate it. He told me that the navy must have figured he knew everything about U-boats because his last name was Schmidt. I was just ckecking my mail before turning in and was sorrowed to hear that about noon today Ed died.
He was a great guy. I am so happy that at the first meeting I attended I shook Ed's hand and told him thanks. A few meetings later I took my son and I asked him to do the same. I told him Ed wouldn't live forever. He had been sick and I know he is in a better place but I wish men like Ed could live forever. We are having a sub vets service for him on Sunday August 22 with the funeral on the following day. Anyone with a message could go to http://www.ussvi.org and check the Hoosier base. We really lost a hero.
Thanks

Rick614
08-19-2004, 11:21 PM
I qualified on the SS347 in 1968. For the past couple of years I have belonged to the Hoosier Base sub vets group in Greenwood (Indianapolis) IN. The WWII sub vets are separate group but they are always at our meetings. No matter what lies we can think of to tell each other what we did wasn't a hill of beans to what they did. The oldest member of the WWII ers was Ed Schmidt. As he would tell us he qualified in 39 or 40, couldn't remember. Made 8 war patrols in the Pacific. Even was brought back to help crew the U-234 which surrendered in May of 1945 in Portsmouth, NH as the US Navy wanted to evaluate it. He told me that the navy must have figured he knew everything about U-boats because his last name was Schmidt. I was just ckecking my mail before turning in and was sorrowed to hear that about noon today Ed died.
He was a great guy. I am so happy that at the first meeting I attended I shook Ed's hand and told him thanks. A few meetings later I took my son and I asked him to do the same. I told him Ed wouldn't live forever. He had been sick and I know he is in a better place but I wish men like Ed could live forever. We are having a sub vets service for him on Sunday August 22 with the funeral on the following day. Anyone with a message could go to http://www.ussvi.org and check the Hoosier base. We really lost a hero.
Thanks