PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Starting Up New System - Help appreciated~!

surlybirch
03-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Hello folks~!

I'm trying to get my new system off the ground and I'm stuck.

I can't get the thing to boot up to a DOS environment from any boot source. It tells me to take the discs out to restart.

Here are the basics.

ASUS PC4800 Deluxe MOBO
P4 3.2 HyperThread
1.5 GiG Kingston RAM. PC3200 Dual 400Mhz RAM
ASUS 9950 256MB Vid Card
Audigy 2ZS Sound
2 Western Digital Raptor 36Gig HDD
Plextor 'CD Writer' CD-RW

I just can't get it to boot to a DOS environment. This is my first attempt at a component system so I'm slightly in the dark.

The ASUS manuals are fairly good, but a bit shaky on the initial startup process.

I'm trying to set the HDDs up in a RAID 0 configuration. The fastbuild utility does recognize the array, but the BIOS doesn't seem to. I'm using the MOBOs SATARAID ports for the HDDs.

But it doesn't matter since without DOS I can't format anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated~!

Thanks~!!

SURLY

http://surlybirch.tripod.com/mudbar.txt

SURLYbirch

surlybirch
03-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Hello folks~!

I'm trying to get my new system off the ground and I'm stuck.

I can't get the thing to boot up to a DOS environment from any boot source. It tells me to take the discs out to restart.

Here are the basics.

ASUS PC4800 Deluxe MOBO
P4 3.2 HyperThread
1.5 GiG Kingston RAM. PC3200 Dual 400Mhz RAM
ASUS 9950 256MB Vid Card
Audigy 2ZS Sound
2 Western Digital Raptor 36Gig HDD
Plextor 'CD Writer' CD-RW

I just can't get it to boot to a DOS environment. This is my first attempt at a component system so I'm slightly in the dark.

The ASUS manuals are fairly good, but a bit shaky on the initial startup process.

I'm trying to set the HDDs up in a RAID 0 configuration. The fastbuild utility does recognize the array, but the BIOS doesn't seem to. I'm using the MOBOs SATARAID ports for the HDDs.

But it doesn't matter since without DOS I can't format anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated~!

Thanks~!!

SURLY

SURLYbirch

Bull_Pup
03-15-2004, 07:00 PM
DOS won't see raid adapters.

If you cant boot into dos using a floppy, you may have the cable backwards. check the orientation of pin one on the drive and cable at both ends. there should be marks on the cable and drive. Sometimes its nescesary to break a pre cut tab off the floppies ic board in order to make the cord fit in the correct orientation. Having the cord in backwards will erase a diskette on power up.

If you are installing winxp you dont need to use DOS. Boot the XP cd. during the install routine xp will ask if you need to install any 3d party storage drivers, prompting you to hit F6 and insert a driver diskette.

at this point insert a diskette with the driver for your particular raid adapter.

xp will then allow you to partition and format your raid array.

you can do a clean install of xp using the upgrade disc version, not just the full version.

surlybirch
03-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Ok,

Thanks Bull_Pup for the advise. The hangup now is the XP Disc doesn't see my HDDs. It could mean some type of a power problem.

If you're setting up a RAID with seperate cables, do you still have to indicate a slave drive?

Argh~!!

SURLY

SURLYbirch

NetDaemon
03-16-2004, 07:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by surlybirch:
Ok,

Thanks Bull_Pup for the advise. The hangup now is the XP Disc doesn't see my HDDs. It could mean some type of a power problem.

If you're setting up a RAID with seperate cables, do you still have to indicate a slave drive?

Argh~!!

SURLY
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The WinXP install CD won't see your raid disks unless you install the RAID driver, which usually comes in a separate floppy.

I got a Promise Raid controller, the process for installing XP was as follows, hope it helps you even if you have a different mobo and Raid controller:

1. Boot with XP CD.
2. After about 2-3 minutes, a message will appear in the lower part of the blue screen asking for third party Hard Disk controllers, guess it also asks you to press either F5 or F6 to install such controllers, can't remember well.
3. After pressing the asked key, you'll be prompted to insert the floppy with the controllers, do so.
4. A list should pop up showing the available controllers in the floppy, the RAID ones should be listed. Selected them and voilá.
5. The WinXP setup should continue as it normally does, but this time your Hard Disk/s attached to the Raid controller should be available for the installation.

Hope that helps.

"Friends don't let friends buy Nvidia FX cards"

NetDaemon
03-16-2004, 08:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by surlybirch:

Argh~!!

SURLY
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, there's no longer Master and Slave setups in SATA. But you do need to define the RAID array before the OS install. You do this in the Raid controller's setup screen that usually comes right after the BIOS's tests and before the OS boots up.

If your harddisks cannot be seen by the Raid Setup Utility, then you have a physical(hardware) problem. Either bad connections in the power or data cables. Recheck both and try again. Faulty cables maybe so too.

surlybirch
03-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Folks,

I am thanking all of you for your help~! I have been successful in getting my new system booted and loaded with XP.

The problem was lack of a correct boot disk, which was not mentioned in my ASUS board manual. Once I found the correct program to make the floppy, the XP intall partioned my RAID array and setup the OS.

Now I just have to begin intalling the various hardware support programs. I was too tired last night to do much else~!

Many thanks~!!!

SURLY

SURLYbirch

NetDaemon
03-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Folks,

I am thanking all of you for your help~! I have been successful in getting my new system booted and loaded with XP.

The problem was lack of a correct boot disk, which was not mentioned in my ASUS board manual. Once I found the correct program to make the floppy, the XP intall partioned my RAID array and setup the OS.

Now I just have to begin intalling the various hardware support programs. I was too tired last night to do much else~!

Many thanks~!!!

SURLY
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bull_Pup
03-17-2004, 08:48 AM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif