PDA

View Full Version : Gunnery / Effectiveness revisited

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Was complaining here about inefficient guns etc. and went off to experiment some.

It seems I mostly had such miserable results for two reasons:

a.) You have to get closer in FB than in Aces High or Warbirds to reliably score hits - I noticed this right away, but *EXTREMELY* close range really kills. In AH/WB I use convergence ranges of 425m and mostly fire from within 200. With FBs more detailed damage model and gunnery, I now use convergences of 300m and mostly fire from less than 100m for good results.

b.) I started the campaign in 109F2, and used the MG151/15 the first time. It`s less a cannon, rather a HMG it seems (does it even have HE/HEI/M-Geschoss ? I don`t think so). Once I discovered I could start the campaign "Invasion begins" with 109F4, all was fine and dandy again - gotta love the MG151/20. Just wasted 3 I16s and a truck convoy with one ammo load.

Again, many thanks for your hints... and from now on, check six a tad more often, because the insane Luftweenie will be flying in FB online !

dtx, JG 301 "Wilde Sau" (Aces High)

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Was complaining here about inefficient guns etc. and went off to experiment some.

It seems I mostly had such miserable results for two reasons:

a.) You have to get closer in FB than in Aces High or Warbirds to reliably score hits - I noticed this right away, but *EXTREMELY* close range really kills. In AH/WB I use convergence ranges of 425m and mostly fire from within 200. With FBs more detailed damage model and gunnery, I now use convergences of 300m and mostly fire from less than 100m for good results.

b.) I started the campaign in 109F2, and used the MG151/15 the first time. It`s less a cannon, rather a HMG it seems (does it even have HE/HEI/M-Geschoss ? I don`t think so). Once I discovered I could start the campaign "Invasion begins" with 109F4, all was fine and dandy again - gotta love the MG151/20. Just wasted 3 I16s and a truck convoy with one ammo load.

Again, many thanks for your hints... and from now on, check six a tad more often, because the insane Luftweenie will be flying in FB online !

dtx, JG 301 "Wilde Sau" (Aces High)