PDA

View Full Version : Why is it ok for Ubisoft to tell us how to play our single-player games?

fatherjimbo
12-12-2017, 04:35 PM
In the EULA for Assassin's Creed Origins (a single-player only game) it states you shall not use trainers, etc. This is a single-player game I have purchased. I should be able to play that game however I like. There is no chance that I could gain an advantage over another player. Why is this OK?

SageX85
12-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Those arent YOUR games, you just payed for the permission to play them.

fatherjimbo
12-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Those arent YOUR games, you just payed for the permission to play them.

What the heck are you talking about? Of course it's MY game. I didn't rent it. I bought it and I can play it however I want. To suggest otherwise is nonsense. Again, this is for SINGLE PLAYER games. Obviously if it had a multi-player component that would be different.

That's like saying Toyota is giving me permission to drive my truck (which is fully paid for).

MangyMoose10234
12-12-2017, 09:10 PM
What the heck are you talking about? Of course it's MY game. I didn't rent it. I bought it and I can play it however I want. To suggest otherwise is nonsense. Again, this is for SINGLE PLAYER games. Obviously if it had a multi-player component that would be different.

That's like saying Toyota is giving me permission to drive my truck (which is fully paid for).

You entered into a license agreement with Ubi. You paid money to agree to the license, and in return Ubi gave you permission to install and play the game. That's why it is called an End User License Agreement (EULA). In legal terms you do not own the game.

As part of that EULA that you had to agree with is the restriction to not to use trainers including while using single-player games. It matters not why Ubi does this for single-player games, but there could be legitimate reasons such as preventing people from more easily obtaining trophies, from more easily defeating enemies so that other rewards are obtained (Ubi Club, for example), from more easily getting better scores than their friends, and/or because Sony/Playstation/XBox/Microsoft could have imposed certain restrictions on gameplay. The EULA is also appears to be standardized so that it applies to all games that Ubi releases. This is far easier than creating an EULA for every separate game.

But, no matter, you agreed to the license and that states that you can't use trainers. If you no longer agree then you should remove the game from whatever systems you have it installed.

fatherjimbo
12-12-2017, 10:59 PM
That sounds great on paper. That said the courts are currently unable to agree if the EULA can even be enforced. Several courts have said that it can't, several have said that it can. Pretty much everyone agrees they are too long to be realistically read and/or followed.

SofaJockey
12-13-2017, 12:10 AM
Seems a rather academic question.
I am not condoning people breaking legal agreements (of course not).
But in practical terms, what's to stop a person running other software that impacts a single player game installed on your own computer?

Such cheats with multiplayer games that affect other people, I would consider another matter entirely.

MangyMoose10234
12-13-2017, 02:28 AM
Seems a rather academic question.
I am not condoning people breaking legal agreements (of course not).
But in practical terms, what's to stop a person running other software that impacts a single player game installed on your own computer?

Such cheats with multiplayer games that affect other people, I would consider another matter entirely.
The software developer would have to be monitoring a lot of people looking for a few people that stand out. Most people don't stand out. And it's not always easy or more than likely cost effective to shut a few people down or go after them legally.

On single player games the outliers are those that try to use cheats to get to the top of the score leaderboards, for example. ACO has those in the hipppdrone & arenas, but I can't see where a lot of effort is going to go into cheating to the top since they are such a minor portion of the game.

So I'm sure most people who choose shortcuts in games like ACO will never face consequences.