PDA

View Full Version : Is For Honnor worth buying?

dampdeath9779
12-08-2017, 11:05 PM
I have been thinking about buying the game as more of a casual play when I have nothing else to do. What are some of your opinions about the game that can help me decided.

David_gorda
12-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Game still has problem with disconnects and matchmaking not really working so you might come up against very good players even when new at the Game. Still you can practice against bots. Still a fun Game if you like medivieal melee combat, thats why i still play it despite many issues.

bob333e
12-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Definitely worth buying. :)

Consider training often against bots, before fully embracing multiplayer. Also, be mindful of connectivity issues. And lastly, keep completing your Orders (they are basically daily mini-challenges that when you complete them they reward more XP and more in-game currency), they will help you level up easier and collect more in-game currency to use for gear, upgrades, new stuff, etc.

Other than that, if you're on laptop, make sure your laptop can run it because several laptops don't really support it, at least not at high settings or in fullscreen. If you're on PC, make sure you have good standard gaming hardware.

That's pretty much it.

dampdeath9779
12-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will try it out.

Jarl.Felix
12-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Give us a feedback in a day or two :))

We'll gonna love how you'll rage **** on this game :))

Alustar.exe
12-08-2017, 11:52 PM
I have been thinking about buying the game as more of a casual play when I have nothing else to do. What are some of your opinions about the game that can help me decided.
There are definite skill checks in the game, I'd suggest that if you have a friend who had it, try borrowing or renting it first. If you are looking for a casual play experience, this may not fit. Typically fighting game don't cater heavily to casual play.
That being said, the overall mechanics aren't difficult, the most you will encounter that may prove problematic at first are block and parry times. Outside of that it is learning move sets and proper responses to certain attacks.

CandleInTheDark
12-09-2017, 12:11 AM
There are some pretty big issue sin connection and matchmaking,however on the last Den the devs suggested that an open test of dedicated servers was close and they are looking to fine tune the matchmaking. Mind you there is no ETA on an of that.personally I have been in it this long and will wait for what they said is coming but it is best to be aware that these issues exist.

In terms of game play alone it is very much worth buying, at least in my opinion, it is a personal thing to everyone but this is the first time I have consistently put such a high percentage of my game time into one game over nearly a year. It is a unique game and one that fills a niche I can't think of any other games coming close to at least in PVP, closest I can think of overall is Dynasty Warriors and their PVP was very tacked on.

I would also say this game has one of the best teams when it comes to listening to the fanbase. Some people might say otherwise because it doesn't fit their narrative or because they believe that wide sweeping changes can be made overnight if only the people behind them are bothered (how many of those make games I couldn't tell you) but they communicate with us daily through the reps and community manager, weekly with a livestream show, they get feedback on incoming changes through public test servers and community workshops and they are working on things, such as reworks and changes to the defensive meta, the community has been asking for for a while as well as the last thing that received a large revamp in the faction war being more transparent.

frewbear
12-09-2017, 12:41 AM
Don't pay full price. Get it used and prepare for a **** experience that looks pretty. At least half the characters are unuseable if you dont want to just be fodder, and 2-3 stunlock you to death if you learn a few of their moves that are unreactable, at least on console. Its basically whether you want to ledge people or stunlock them. If you were hoping for a decent fighting game, this is not it.

GMG Peter
12-09-2017, 12:45 AM
To sum it up:
You will like the game if:
- you like challenge
- you like precise fighting
- you are willing to spend time to learn actual mechanics. I dare to say that they are easy to learn but hard to master. That is why I like it though.
- if you don't expect yourself to have good k/d early, beginnings may be harsh at first, but you know, to throw one in a water is the best way to teach someone swim. Was a long road to 1.90+ and still long to 2+ overall lol. But I am no "master" for how long I play i should be better 🤣
- add really nice graphics and effects, customization...
- samurai ❣️1️⃣

For casual play I recommend to search for a friendly group to play with. Or at least one fella to take you as a padawan. ✅ Also I recommend to go trough all the tutorials and campaign difficulties- they give you lot of steel on acomplishment and some nice items. You can find some active friendly groups via discord.

Next good tip is to pick a character who suits your style and get him at least few reputations to .. you know.."git gud".

As others said there are connection and maybe minor balancing issues, but I get the feeling that For honor team is working hard lately and not only them but community too have finnaly found the right way it seems.
Overral - things are getting better.
And don't forget its an online game, there are always some cheesy🧀 people with cheap tactics. But the challenge is to overcome them with your brilliant tactics.😎

I could go on for some while along but it's getting late here so if you have some questions, write em up "tomorrow" I can try to answer them :)

AlexHuaTian
12-09-2017, 01:12 AM
Its a great game. Everything about from the graphics and gameplay. The game is really well thought out. The downside is the game is hard as hell.

Jarl.Felix
12-09-2017, 01:29 AM
Its a great game. Everything about from the graphics and gameplay. The game is really well thought out. The downside is the game is hard as hell.

Game is not hard. Game is badly executed and unbalanced due to low skills and amateurs. But there should be hope. With time comes better people/ideas in the team.

Dasteel1974
12-09-2017, 01:40 AM
If the game ever gets fixed and balanced. As is? I cuss the day I bought it. Great graphics with great potential. Unfortunately so much spam in the game it isn’t funny. Plus I hope you like getting disconnected 50% of the time. Then with every patch that come out to fix bugs, new bugs are created. Completely unbalanced characters. Some extremely strong and OP and others that just flat out suck to play with. I wouldn’t buy it now unless you find out it was fixed. As is I wouldn’t waste the money. 15 patches and still bugs everywhere. Do what you want but I would wait.

Helnekromancer
12-09-2017, 02:24 AM
Depends on how much tolerance and patience you have when it comes to BS.

-Low player count,
-run into the same people,
-get disconnected from countless lobbies before you actually start playing,
-unbalanced Fighters
-so many bugs in this game you can't avoid running into 2-3 a day.
-cheesy, toxic, egotistical playerbase

I can keep going on but I advice you to wait until the game gets dedicated servers. Because honestly I only liked this game because I was a fan of the Samurai and the Nobushi but the way the game is headed its more of a spammy twitch reaction type of game, and if you don't play those types of Heroes you just get steamrolled and frustrated. I regret buying this since the only way I can enjoy this game now is by playing vs bots because the game crashes so ******* much in pvp and I can't take it any longer.

AlexHuaTian
12-09-2017, 03:00 AM
Defensive meta was crazy. Thats what a lot of people were complaining about. So now they released two classes that supposedly counters the defensive meta. Not everyone is happy. I dont play those classes so I dont benefit from it. But back then. The best defense was a good defense. lol

brashtralas
12-09-2017, 04:46 AM
Defensive meta was crazy. Thats what a lot of people were complaining about. So now they released two classes that supposedly counters the defensive meta. Not everyone is happy. I dont play those classes so I dont benefit from it. But back then. The best defense was a good defense. lol

Not picking on you specifically, but I’ve seen the “they counter the defensive meta!” excuse too many times, and it’s wrong.

The centurion “countered the defensive meta” as well, but people quickly realized that this ultra offensive character is also, surprise!!, the best turtle.

Making characters to defeat the sensible meta by giving them a better offense won’t work so long as the defensive mechanics are (generally)the same across the board. All it does is give a couple characters a better offensive move set to whip your *** with after they turtle you to boredom.

Rant over, I suppose.

Tillo.
12-09-2017, 05:11 AM
Definately not worth buying. As a matter of fact, after my experience with Ubisoft, I strongly recommend not to buy anything from them. The exact moment they take your money they won't care about you anymore. It has nothing to do with the game manufacturer, as a publisher they totally lack of customer support. Wherever you go, if you get a defective product, one of three things happens: A) the item is replaced for a working one; B) you get your money back; C) you get credit to buy something else. For Honor is DEFECTIVE. Why? Because it cannot sustain uninterrupted gameplay. All I want to do is play it, but I can't. All I do is stare at crash reports all day every day.
Ubisoft denies having published a non working product. On February 14th 2017 and for a good couple of months For Honor devs, support and forum mods said that the connection problems were caused by the players' internet, routers or internet configurations. Support would send you, no sorry, they still do, 15 pages of useless troubleshootings, forcing you to mess with things you shouldn't, and that won't solve the problem because it is not in your end.
Constantly lying, hollow promises, repeating themselves like broken records such as: need more data, soon™, and the one that rock my world on a live stream: "deal with it". Priceless.
After all that you come to the forums to find out, like the rest of the company, that they have no idea how to deal with frustrated customers. So they make up infractions, temporal and permament bans to keep you away.

What a way to do business...

Alustar.exe
12-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Definately not worth buying. As a matter of fact, after my experience with Ubisoft, I strongly recommend not to buy anything from them. The exact moment they take your money they won't care about you anymore. It has nothing to do with the game manufacturer, as a publisher they totally lack of customer support. Wherever you go, if you get a defective product, one of three things happens: A) the item is replaced for a working one; B) you get your money back; C) you get credit to buy something else. For Honor is DEFECTIVE. Why? Because it cannot sustain uninterrupted gameplay. All I want to do is play it, but I can't. All I do is stare at crash reports all day every day.
Ubisoft denies having published a non working product. On February 14th 2017 and for a good couple of months For Honor devs, support and forum mods said that the connection problems were caused by the players' internet, routers or internet configurations. Support would send you, no sorry, they still do, 15 pages of useless troubleshootings, forcing you to mess with things you shouldn't, and that won't solve the problem because it is not in your end.
Constantly lying, hollow promises, repeating themselves like broken records such as: need more data, soon™, and the one that rock my world on a live stream: "deal with it". Priceless.
After all that you come to the forums to find out, like the rest of the company, that they have no idea how to deal with frustrated customers. So they make up infractions, temporal and permament bans to keep you away.

What a way to do business...

And yet here you are occupying these forums? If your experience was so bad, why are you still here this long after launch?
I find it incredibly hard to believe that you went through all that and didn't just Drop from this all together. Most sane people don't get this worked up and stick around.
Your connectivity issues are probably a result of poor network maintenance by your ISP, or your own infrastructure. But no, let's continue to blame ubisoft even though we can browse through the forums and find a distinct lack of connection based threads. If you haven't figured out how to stabilize your connection, you shouldn't even be playing this game to begin with

Xaviloga
12-09-2017, 11:55 AM
If you ask me i tell you to wait till FH2 or at least till dedicated servers and the defense meta changes come in. I dunno the state of the game after this def meta change, it may become into a spam feast or something worst. We dont know and suspect Ubi have no idea either, because its not an easy thing to do. For sure there will be a lot of compains after the changes.

Arekonator
12-09-2017, 02:55 PM
I had my fair share of fun with the game and got quite a nubmer of hours in it but i cant really recomendbuying the game, at least not at full price and even then, only if you are willing to put up with a lot of bullcrap.

Fairemont
12-09-2017, 05:45 PM
You're going to get one of two things out of this game.

A lot of frustration, if you are like some of the people who get disconnected all the time.

Or you'll love it if you're like me and see maybe 1-2 disconnects a week at worst, no bugs, no problems, people are all nice, just living in a strange, fantasy land that no one else seems to ever experience and then you'll love the game like no other.

I'm the sort of person who buys a new game every three days because I can’t play them longer than that but I keep playing For Honor on a day-to-day basis for quite some time now. So, I’d recommend it but be aware there are some risks as there are with basically any game.

Dasteel1974
12-09-2017, 06:48 PM
And yet here you are occupying these forums? If your experience was so bad, why are you still here this long after launch?
I find it incredibly hard to believe that you went through all that and didn't just Drop from this all together. Most sane people don't get this worked up and stick around.
Your connectivity issues are probably a result of poor network maintenance by your ISP, or your own infrastructure. But no, let's continue to blame ubisoft even though we can browse through the forums and find a distinct lack of connection based threads. If you haven't figured out how to stabilize your connection, you shouldn't even be playing this game to begin with

Well I have the same issues and have the best connection available to the public. Plus I did everything Ubisoft wanted me to do and set it up just how they instructed. Even opened a customer support case with them. So in my case, it has ZERO to do with me and everything with them. I get dropped pretty frequently and have had as many as 5 matches consecutively disconnect me. Then there is the connectivity during the fight. I can’t tell you how many times I have land a hit and during the next move or two, screen blinks and I am getting killed. I gave Ubisoft videos of this happening. I have had hit get blocked by characters while it was impossible to block, hits that didn’t even register, died without a person near me in a duel and have fallen from ledges for no reason. Sorry, but there are a bunch of issues.

Maxime_Qc-
12-09-2017, 10:35 PM
Clearly not worth buying.. ..

Yes the idea behind the game is genius

But the community and the devs are mal the reverse of genius. .
And it make it the most frustrating game ever

Apolloassn13
12-09-2017, 10:44 PM
Don't waste your money unless you're getting it for sale.

Hormly
12-10-2017, 02:36 AM
Isnt it going free to play?

Dasteel1974
12-10-2017, 08:12 AM
If you do buy it, you can probably get a used copy on Ebay for $10 or so.

Tillo.
12-10-2017, 04:29 PM

Dropped it months ago. But I am still so angry that they stole $60 off me that I come back now and then to voice my frustration.
If my connection was the problem then I wouldn't be able to play the rest of the games I own. Or it wouldn't be the #1 reason why this game sucks and people leave. From 45k players peak to 1.5k. For Honor's playerbase drop is worth a record on the Guiness book.

Ackturi
12-10-2017, 04:42 PM
I never spent a penny on this game. Only reason I decided to play it was because I won a giveaway for it.

Never will I spend money on the future of this game either. They substitute fixing things by adding things that make it worse. Then they take away things only to add it later to something else.

They don't understand balance and ignore common issues that players warn them about. They have lost more players than probably any other online game in record breaking time (not factual but that's what it seems like).

Card1acArrest
12-10-2017, 06:53 PM
i have more than 400 hours now. i really like it. dont listen to the rant regarding balance. if you play 4v4, tactics mean much more.

in duels... there are unbalances. not that huge imo. i never get obliterated. i have met some really good player, fair enuff when they nuke me.

The bot training is very useful. and youtube guides are a must.

Tillo.
12-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Nothing can be usefull when you can't finish a game.
GG For Error.