PDA

View Full Version : Rank dominion Opinions & suggestion

Playing_Mantis
12-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Hi, Ive noticed that rank Dominion has less players than i would have hoped for. I have my Ideas why and also opinions on how to fix this. So i like how your doing the 1 class per fight like most moba rank games, however this is not a moba type game. In a moba its quite easy to learn how to play 10 heroes as they each only have 4-5 buttons to press and its very easy to play multiple classes. But in for honor, myself and probably lots of others main 1-2 classes and don't really play others. The characters in this game ave very complex and not easy to just jump on a hero if the 1-2 heroes u know how to play are taken.(unlike a moba, and u don't want to chance hurting your rank because u got stuck with your 3rd string hero who u really don't know how to play) So this reason people like me might not Q up into this mode. Now i do love the idea of only 1 hero each team but it might be better with this game to Q up as who u want to play first, then it would find players that are different classes to match u up with. this way u can play who u know how to play and not get blamed for sucking from your team simply because your hero got selected.Basiclly pick your players first. sure you won't be able to arrange a team that u might want so once your into your team with your pre picked hero at this point anyone can have one last chance to change characters or talk with the team in cases where maybe u got stuck with 4 heavies or what not... maybe there could be something in the matchmaking that won't allow over 2 of the same class types to be put on a team.. Thats just my opinion. take it or leave it.

Playing_Mantis
12-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Also, in this game u have gear score, mobas don't. everyone starts off the same. So lots of people won't have multiple characters with good enough gear on more than one hero. Just another thought..so maybe have to just not use gear score? but thats not fun...One more reason why i might not want to Q up for rank mode. I only have 1 character thats good enough to play 4v4. Ive not actually played a rank yet so if any of these things are addressed i apologise. Reason is I'm trying to get my first heart to a max gear score before i Q up...Lets hope i can get him before others do.. or my team is stuck with a 25 gear score hero!!! ya baby!! don't yell at me please!

PallidoLetum
12-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Gear score is turned off in ranked, so your gear doesn't matter, however the ranked dominion mode gives not a lot incentive to play to begin with, solo pick will scare most players away because, as you said, most don't play more than 2 different heroes due to the complexity of every kit.

Another reason is the turned off gear score, yes you hear me right, there are actually a lot of players who don't see the point of playing a mode where the gear they farmed for months is worthless, some are afraid that without the stats they got to get used to they won't perform good.

In other words, the ranked dominion mode is flawed in a way, that the things making it worth playing (no gear score, solo pick, competitive matches) are scarring off a lot of players at the same time (hard work of gear made worthless, small amount of actually played heroes per player, toxic behavior born out of the competitive thinking).

Having high que times and a terrible matchmaking (both results of the above) put the nail into the coffin that is ranked dominion.

A possible solution would be to give more incentive to play the mode by increasing steel income after every match, maybe make it so that player in certain tiers get a set amount of steel at the end of every season (f.e. 5000 steel for gold 5, 5500 steel for plat 1 and so on). Maybe you introduce a new currency that can only be acquired by playing/winning ranked matches and give it a shop with that currency used instead of steel (you could put the old head pieces of past season solo tournament rewards in it, or certain weapon and armor skins).

As it stands right now ranked dominion will be like elimination but worse and there have to be changes to both ranked dominion as well as solo tournaments.

Arekonator
12-06-2017, 11:59 AM
How about 1.5-2 times XP and/or steel gain as incentive to play ranked instead regural dominion?

PallidoLetum
12-06-2017, 12:12 PM
How about 1.5-2 times XP and/or steel gain as incentive to play ranked instead regural dominion?

That would be a great start, but I think a reward tied to your achieved rank or something you can only get by playing ranked dominion is needed so that a lot of people get interested in the game mode.

Tyrjo
12-06-2017, 12:16 PM
It makes me sad that the population is so low. The way I see it there are a few reasons why this is the case:

Lag and resyncs will make it an unpleasant experience which some will try to exploit. Solution: Dedicated servers.
Ranked mode is a skill check some people don't like. Solution: Increase the incentives to play ranked Dominion by increasing match end reward.
There are no orders for ranked mode. Solution: Issue a recurring weekly order which in its first stage require you to get a rank. When you have a rank it changes to: Play 10 ranked dominion games for a 1000 steel reward.
Long wait time for finding a match. Solution: Increase player activity by implementing all of the above.

Playing_Mantis
12-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Yea i never even thought about the hard work of getting the gear. People for sure want to play as their unique character that they geared out and not be on the same field as every other player with having no gear score. What is the point of gear score if u can't even use it. Basically if u practice in unranked with your gear score..then go into rank without and expect your character to react the same it won't. So basically unranked mode isn't really even help u for rank mode anyway. I don't like the idea of making people only want to play the mode is for the extra xp or steel. Basically then people won't care about rank and they will just play it for the rewards. I really don't like the single pick, I'm not going to play with a character i don't know how to use or even want to play. Either let us pick before we Q up for the game or make it not single pick. I do want to have control on who i play and i do want gear score in rank as well. thats the deal breaker on rank for me.

Alustar.exe
12-06-2017, 12:42 PM
If they are going to do single pick for heroes I like the idea of selecting your hero before the match and queuing that way. If they did that, the best way to group for ranked would be hard on class instead of your hero: they ranked match will have a vanguard, heavy, assassin and hybrid.
Also does anyone know if you can group queue? That also might be another reason. I don't know too many serious players that want to PUG random ranked matches.

PallidoLetum
12-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Yea i never even thought about the hard work of getting the gear. People for sure want to play as their unique character that they geared out and not be on the same field as every other player with having no gear score. What is the point of gear score if u can't even use it. Basically if u practice in unranked with your gear score..then go into rank without and expect your character to react the same it won't. So basically unranked mode isn't really even help u for rank mode anyway. I don't like the idea of making people only want to play the mode is for the extra xp or steel. Basically then people won't care about rank and they will just play it for the rewards. I really don't like the single pick, I'm not going to play with a character i don't know how to use or even want to play. Either let us pick before we Q up for the game or make it not single pick. I do want to have control on who i play and i do want gear score in rank as well. thats the deal breaker on rank for me.

Ranked dominion is supposed to be a skill check, gear score destroys that, I understand why people don't want to play without their precious gear, that doesn't mean I agree with that.

Choosing the hero you want to play before queuing up is a great idea, it just comes with the backslash of further increasing the que times for people playing popular characters, so I don't know if that will ever be implemented.

If you don't increase the incentive to play by giving people more steel/unique rewards it'll stay as it is right now, we can see that almost nobody is interested in playing the ranked dominion mode and that won't change if you don't give players a reason to care about it. A great example for this are the tiers itself, it might be interesting for some to find out where they stand on a ranked ladder, but why bother with such a mess of a game mode that doesn't even reward you more than normal dominion and is most likely just more toxic than normal mode? For a badge that is displayed on the left upper corner of your screen? No thanks.

PallidoLetum
12-06-2017, 12:51 PM
If they are going to do single pick for heroes I like the idea of selecting your hero before the match and queuing that way. If they did that, the best way to group for ranked would be hard on class instead of your hero: they ranked match will have a vanguard, heavy, assassin and hybrid.
Also does anyone know if you can group queue? That also might be another reason. I don't know too many serious players that want to PUG random ranked matches.

A class que could still result in players wanting to play the same, I for example have 3 assassins, 2 hybrids and 1 vanguard above rep 1, if I que for vanguard, I might end up not being able to play it because of someone else also queuing for vanguard, I could just take another of my classes, others can't and that's the problem.

I don't have friends who want to play ranked dominion so I can't help you there ;-;

The_B0G_
12-06-2017, 07:11 PM
@alustar24 you can group queue with 2, 3 or 4 players, it seems to actually take longer with a full group though.

I played at least 30 games of ranked and this is my take on it, and some suggestions on how I think you need to improve the mode.

Firstly, I love single pick and it's the only way this mode could ever be balanced, after giving up on ranked matchmaking a couple days ago due to the wait times, I went back to normal and am immediately fighting groups of 3 and 4 Arumusha and Shaman, which isn't just annoying, it's boring.

Next would be gear score, this I'm on the fence for, I do think with it being ranked that you should be able to use gear stats as everyone will be using their main most likely. On the other hand, no gear stats probably helps some of the more OP classes be not so OP. So gear stats doesn't really bother me either way.

Alright now this next thing is a MASSIVE PROBLEM with ranked Dominion and needs to be fixed immediately, ranking scores are totally out of whack. Me and a friend of mine noticed that if you don't get first or second on your team, even if you win, usually you get negative points to your rank after the match.

I remember playing a game where we wrecked the other team, everyone did really good, I was last place with 10-5 KDA and around 400-500 points. I ended up LOSING 3% to my ranking... In a team mode, winning a game with a decent score has lost me ranking...

What this does is make a seperate competition against your own teammates, someone has to get last after all. In my opinion, winning a match should NEVER reduce your ranking no matter what your score. For instance, if your team makes a plan that 1 person buffs a zone close to your spawn while the rest on the team fight at theirs, you won't get a ton of points but it is a huge help in winning the match.

It just seems like even though this is a team based mode, players are being ranked entirely on personal performance. In my opinion, a win should be at least +10% to your ranking no matter how you played.

Edit** Also I think holding zones should generate more points, maybe switch boosting to 3 points per second instead of 2, this would be to combat the use of gank squads in Dom.

frewbear
12-06-2017, 07:25 PM
You can't have ranked anything in a game with so many glaring flaws and with each taking an eternity to "fix" while introducing new problems. It's like a For Honor tournament - it's a joke, and that's why nobody plays it. Plus, like Duel and Brawl, ranked modes attract the Tryhards. If you play For Honor casually (for fun, not as filthy as you can because you NEED to win) or solo, you are at a massive disadvantage if not straight up ****ed from the beginning. Nevermind the disconnect issues and matchmaking times, and the people who tote their stats as if it's an indicator of how good they are not wanting to have bad stats, it's just not appealing to play a mode that isn't fun. This is why Dominion unranked is and will continue to be the most popular mode, even when / if dedicated servers or steel increases come around. After awhile you don't need steel or crates anyway.

Helnekromancer
12-06-2017, 07:26 PM
I mostly play Nobushi, Valkyrie, and Shinobi. (with Conq, Kensei,and Shugoki being back ups).

I don't have a problem with 1 pick per team,
No gear score just mean if you're Hero isn't top tier you are going to have a hard time defending yourself.

I don't have friends who play this anymore, they went to Destiny 2 and Fornite, and whatever new game is out. So playing by myself I'm just fodder for premades because for some reason this is what the game's matchmaking puts me up against ALL THE TIME.

Lag & Errors are a constant presence in this game and there's no reward.

If they wanted to improve this mode. Give it it's own reward like its own mask, give solo queue players more of a reason to play this since this game's system isn't capable of matching premade vs premade.
I'm not saying like static buffs just more steel, exp, or war assets. or the penalty for losing is lessened and winning increased so there's more solo players than grouped.

No one is going to grind out 20 Ranked Dominion games of just getting brutally stomped by premades.

The_B0G_
12-06-2017, 07:34 PM
You can't have ranked anything in a game with so many glaring flaws and with each taking an eternity to "fix" while introducing new problems. It's like a For Honor tournament - it's a joke, and that's why nobody plays it. Plus, like Duel and Brawl, ranked modes attract the Tryhards. If you play For Honor casually (for fun, not as filthy as you can because you NEED to win) or solo, you are at a massive disadvantage if not straight up ****ed from the beginning. Nevermind the disconnect issues and matchmaking times, and the people who tote their stats as if it's an indicator of how good they are not wanting to have bad stats, it's just not appealing to play a mode that isn't fun. This is why Dominion unranked is and will continue to be the most popular mode, even when / if dedicated servers or steel increases come around. After awhile you don't need steel or crates anyway.

If everyone played ranked, then the try hards would be playing each other though wouldn't they? After your first 20 games you get placed in a tier of your skill level, try hards would be platinum tier I would imagine.

Ranked is just so much more intense than unranked, wins actually feel like they mean something. In unranked I could really care less who wins, as long as I get some good kills.

Depressd_Cent
12-06-2017, 07:48 PM

Ranked with out gear score is good it shows how good you are if you don't rely on gear score; look at injustice 2 they added gear score to that fighting game, they have regular matches where you can use your gear and ranked where gear score is turned off. This prevents players who cheese and zone in that game from abusing their abilities with major combo damage and such but that doesn't mean that players can't win without gear you can still win you just have to know how to use that fighter. Not saying that we can abuse abilities or moves in FH with our gear just saying that you can still be a good player with out gear score in ranked. This also give the newer players who don't have 180 total gear score a chance at not getting completely demolished

UbiJurassic
12-06-2017, 08:09 PM
Thanks for sharing your concerns on Ranked Dominion everyone. We're well aware that some players feel that Ranked Dominion is lacking, both in terms of activity and in incentive, and have made sure to voice these concerns to the team.

frewbear
12-06-2017, 10:23 PM
If everyone played ranked, then the try hards would be playing each other though wouldn't they? After your first 20 games you get placed in a tier of your skill level, try hards would be platinum tier I would imagine.

Ranked is just so much more intense than unranked, wins actually feel like they mean something. In unranked I could really care less who wins, as long as I get some good kills.

Not with Ubisoft's matchmaking system. It seems to be a buggy free-for-all. And if you happen to be good at the game but just want to have fun and decent fights rather than spam and ledge for the Win, your skill will (maybe not right away but after awhile) lump you in with the people who live to play and the fun goes away. Dominion unranked is at least, for the most part, random, which leaves more opportunity to consistently have more enjoyable matches.

Playing_Mantis
12-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Glad my post got some notice. i like most these points everyone brings up. I think people really like the idea of gearscore. They feel like why would i play rank without my sweet gear when i can use it and own noobs in unranked! Also, I really think that if u can't prepick your hero then i prob would not want to play the mode either. really most people seriously are one with their main hero and its just like... well.. why play a mode where i might not get him when i can just play my awesome hero that i actually like to play and i can use my gear to own up the noobs.. With pre pick heroes it would solve both options. plus gear score would add another variable to the team strategy on builds. currently i can't even get into a game mostly. I don't think there would be a huge issue if one class has more players. as long as there is an interest in the game mode people will be playing. and if there is one class thats used more i don't see the issue on having 2 assassins on a team. that seems pretty standard actually.

D-d0g56
12-07-2017, 01:47 PM
It makes me sad that the population is so low. The way I see it there are a few reasons why this is the case:

Lag and resyncs will make it an unpleasant experience which some will try to exploit. Solution: Dedicated servers.
Ranked mode is a skill check some people don't like. Solution: Increase the incentives to play ranked Dominion by increasing match end reward.
There are no orders for ranked mode. Solution: Issue a recurring weekly order which in its first stage require you to get a rank. When you have a rank it changes to: Play 10 ranked dominion games for a 1000 steel reward.
Long wait time for finding a match. Solution: Increase player activity by implementing all of the above.

This so far best represents my gripes with the mode. I think your solutions are absolutely necessary for the mode more than anything.

bob333e
12-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Don't think it's in our best interest to mix orders (which should be freely doable in any game mode whether PvP or PvAI) with Ranked; if anything, have Ranked Orders be a separate thing than the normal orders we get to do. It's only fair to allow people to gain XP and Steel at ease when doing these orders. Forcing Ranked upon them is bound to yield even more frustration. A weekly Ranked Order isn't a bad idea at all. And have it available for more than 24 hours till it expires.

Otherwise I agree with your points. Until all these are solved, I'm avoiding Ranked modes for the time being.