PDA

View Full Version : Gladiator can't block fastest light attacks?

Slacktrick
11-27-2017, 05:38 PM
I am curious whether this is intentional design by Ubisoft or a bug in Gladiator's reflex block mechanic.

Yesterday, I did some testing in a custom match against a peacekeeper. As a gladiator, I attempted to block peacekeeper light attacks and found that I could not block any of them unless I guessed which direction the attack would come from and began the block before the peacekeeper initiated the attack. This was true even if my opponent told me the direction the attack would come from and I initiated the block with the right thumb stick the moment the peacekeeper's arm began to move.

As I watched the block indicator on my gladiator, I saw that the white indicator showing that my block was up was delayed in appearing after I moved the thumb stick. For example, there was a short period of time where the thumb stick was pushed all the way to the left, but the guard was still dark (not up). This short window of time was enough for the light attack to hit me.

To be clear, I am not discussing the documented problem that a character with reactive block cannot block the second light attack if the first light attack connects. That is a problem too, but not the one I am concerned with in this post.

My conclusion is that Gladiator cannot block the fastest light attacks. This means that some of the characters (PK, Shinobi, etc...) can successfully spam light attacks at the Gladiator.

I found a 7 month old reddit thread at the link below discussing a similar issue with Orochi. The author provides .gif images demonstrating that the Orochi suffers from this delay in block activating, but the warden does not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveForHonor/comments/67tlyc/trouble_blocking_with_assassins_myth_or_actual/

As for what to do in light of this issue, I have read posts stating that while the Gladiator does suffer from this blocking problem, the fast light attacks can be parried. I have not tested this. It also occurred to me to dodge light attacks thrown by the fastest assassins, but that leaves you open to guard breaks. Not a good solution.

iso_memory
11-27-2017, 06:02 PM
I am curious whether this is intentional design by Ubisoft or a bug in Gladiator's reflex block mechanic.

Yesterday, I did some testing in a custom match against a peacekeeper. As a gladiator, I attempted to block peacekeeper light attacks and found that I could not block any of them unless I guessed which direction the attack would come from and began the block before the peacekeeper initiated the attack. This was true even if my opponent told me the direction the attack would come from and I initiated the block with the right thumb stick the moment the peacekeeper's arm began to move.

As I watched the block indicator on my gladiator, I saw that the white indicator showing that my block was up was delayed in appearing after I moved the thumb stick. For example, there was a short period of time where the thumb stick was pushed all the way to the left, but the guard was still dark (not up). This short window of time was enough for the light attack to hit me.

To be clear, I am not discussing the documented problem that a character with reactive block cannot block the second light attack if the first light attack connects. That is a problem too, but not the one I am concerned with in this post.

My conclusion is that Gladiator cannot block the fastest light attacks. This means that some of the characters (PK, Shinobi, etc...) can successfully spam light attacks at the Gladiator.

I found a 7 month old reddit thread at the link below discussing a similar issue with Orochi. The author provides .gif images demonstrating that the Orochi suffers from this delay in block activating, but the warden does not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveForHonor/comments/67tlyc/trouble_blocking_with_assassins_myth_or_actual/

As for what to do in light of this issue, I have read posts stating that while the Gladiator does suffer from this blocking problem, the fast light attacks can be parried. I have not tested this. It also occurred to me to dodge light attacks thrown by the fastest assassins, but that leaves you open to guard breaks. Not a good solution.

I'm assuming you're on console? Me too. Have you experienced what it is like as the gladiator (or any other reflex guard character for that matter) to be stuck inside the Aramusha's infinite lights? I'm pretty good at deflecting lights, as they're way easier on console to deflect rather than parry, but I kept finding myself hacked to death without the ability to react guard, deflect or otherwise when the Aramusha would ambush me. Not really sure why that is...

Slacktrick
11-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Yes. I'm on PS4. I too have enjoyed the Aramusha's infinite light chain with no ability to block. I try to dodge out of the chain, but that usually is not successful.

Regardless, let's not turn this chain into one ranting about assassin's caught in the Aramusha light chain. There are already plenty of posts addressing that subject.

Gladiator's inability to block the fastest light attacks at all is my focus here.

iso_memory
11-27-2017, 07:12 PM
Both the Shinobi and Gladiator have the shortest reflex guard in the game, if I'm not mistaken, which requires a little more precision when trying to block 500ms lights, specifically in the case of the PK in question. My point was, reflex guard as a whole doesn't seem to be working properly, which is the only reason I mentioned the Aramusha's onslaught.

Slacktrick
11-27-2017, 07:32 PM
I agree that reflex guard may be bugged as a whole.

The shortness of the life of the guard I understand (even if I'm not a fan of it). The delay in activation of the Gladiator's guard, I do not. When I performed the same test as an Orochi, I was able to block all of the PK's initial light attacks. This was even though -- per the link in my original post -- the Orochi suffers from a delay in guard activating. I conclude that the Gladiator's delay must be longer than the Orochi's delay.

Herbstlicht
11-27-2017, 08:26 PM
Keep in mind that PS4 (specially the pro) has the highest input lag for this game as well.

Slacktrick
11-27-2017, 09:30 PM
I did not know that.

I would not think that input lag alone would account for why the problem exists on some classes, but not others. All classes would suffer from identical input lag.

UbiInsulin
11-27-2017, 09:58 PM
We've actually passed on concerns about the difficult timing of reflex guard against Aramusha to the team based on previous threads.

Slacktrick
11-27-2017, 10:48 PM
Ubilnsulin,

Will you please also ask the team to determine whether they agree that the problem extends to opponent heroes other than Aramusha as well?

UbiInsulin
11-27-2017, 11:30 PM
Ubilnsulin,

Will you please also ask the team to determine whether they agree that the problem extends to opponent heroes other than Aramusha as well?

Sure thing! I'll make note of it possibly being a larger issue, especially for Glad players.

Slacktrick
11-27-2017, 11:59 PM
Thank you.