PDA

View Full Version : Good Book on Pacific Air War written by someone who was there

jpatrick62
07-06-2004, 06:07 AM
I just read a good book from an authore, James P. Gallagher about the Pacific air war. Gallagher was in the Army and assigned to the 5th army air force. He describes day to day life living in the war and about the various fighters and bombers - the P38, p47 and Mustang, as well as the B29s. Interestingly, he gives the top fighter honors to the F4u-4. "I had seen it in mock dogfights with other American fighters, and the four-bladed Corsair ruled" (page 133). If you want to know what the war was really like at the time, written by an actual participant, then this is a good book to read.

jpatrick62
07-06-2004, 06:07 AM
I just read a good book from an authore, James P. Gallagher about the Pacific air war. Gallagher was in the Army and assigned to the 5th army air force. He describes day to day life living in the war and about the various fighters and bombers - the P38, p47 and Mustang, as well as the B29s. Interestingly, he gives the top fighter honors to the F4u-4. "I had seen it in mock dogfights with other American fighters, and the four-bladed Corsair ruled" (page 133). If you want to know what the war was really like at the time, written by an actual participant, then this is a good book to read.

jpatrick62
07-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Forgot to give the book -"Fifth Army Air Force" by James P. Gallagher

ShadowSix
07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Just a correction on the title--it is "With the Fifth Army Air Force". http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestion JPatrick62.

--ShadowSix