PDA

View Full Version : Tips for beating Shamans

traeDGAF
11-22-2017, 02:56 AM
I usually never comment on here. I normally just come on here to see how they are addressing some of the fixes or if you guys are experiencing some of the same problems I have.

So it comes to no surprise that when I get on here you guys are having the same problems with the ďShamanĒ as I. Look I have been playing this game since release and I have loved it. Iíve pretty much powered through the entire ďunplayableĒ period. It was the first and only game I ever bought a season pass for. And Iíve spent the entire year trying to convince my friends to get this game. Iím usually never one to complain or ask for nerfs. Sure there are plenty of annoying characters that I hate fighting. Nobushi was the first, with the quick and annoying poison. Lord knows how much I hate fighting a Valkyrie, the berserker can get OP if you arenít patient and since itís buff the Lawbringers Defenses are almost(Iím my opinion) impenetrable.

But come on guys really? You all canít sit up here and tell me that the Shaman isnít ridiculous. Sheís far too quick and her mix up makes it so hard to predict if you are playing against top tier players good luck. And let me not start with the pounce. Look I have no problem with her ability to do so I have a problem with it having a 95% success rate and taking down just under half your health depending upon the character.

From my personal experience right now if you want any chance of beating a Shaman you better Attack! Attack! Attack! You have to be more aggressive than she is and pray your opponent isnít great at countering because of you get on the defensive against her youíve lost. Once you become conservative you open up her entire arsenal of moves and you will NEVER be able to predict what she is going to do. For crying out loud she has 2 launch attacks óor whatever you guys call itó from different directions that are similar to the gladiators except hers are heavies. Good luck countering that.

Now Iím not saying right off back that she should be nerfed. Some of you are going as far to quit out the game when you someone playing as a Shaman. Thatís too far. But there are others here who are defending her with arguments such as ďitís only been a weekĒ. Really? Come on dude. I saw one guy say that they were playing dominion and they only ever lost when there was a Shaman on the other team. And a lot of people are calling him whiny and all kinds of other derogatory terms. Well I guess Iím whiny too then. I only want whatís best for this game. So if any one have any tips they want to share Iím all ears.

I play Xbox One my Gamertag is POLOisCampGod you have probably played against me. FYI if you message me I cant message back Iím banned until February from communication due to the snowflakes in this game who canít handle an ďLĒ

David_gorda
11-22-2017, 03:08 AM
Easy, just use shaman yourself thats what i Done lol. I would say basicly impossible to dodge the Pounce. Best defence if you start bleeding is to spam lights so if the shaman Pounce he gets hit. Just pray he is not good at parry lights. Yes shaman is op i owned prestige 20+ peacekeepers and Warden with full gear with My prestige 0 shaman. Without gear.

Alustar.exe
11-22-2017, 04:07 AM
Gear means very little outside of stamina values and revenge tweaks.
Dodge to the side when she comes at you. Dodging back still puts you in her effective range. If you are bid be ready to steal the minute you dodge to the side cause she can and will come again. Outside of that, as far as reaction for her attacks, if you haven't already adjusted the control settings for your dead zones I suggest giving that a try. Maximizing rose to your play style can help.

IesooMI
11-22-2017, 04:25 AM
Be aggressive, don't throw out stupid stuff that everyone's parrys but be aggressive. Shamans excell when they can set the pace of the fight (much like Glad). Use your quickest lights to keep them backed off. Don't worry about the pounce, (your going to eat a few due to tracking bugs acknowledged by the devs already) but when you are bleeding you know the bites coming or a GB, once again light attack.

Shamans a very strong character for sure, but in a world of warlords, glads, cents, and PKs she's just another tough matchup.

Vakris_One
11-22-2017, 04:31 AM
I usually never comment on here. I normally just come on here to see how they are addressing some of the fixes or if you guys are experiencing some of the same problems I have.

So it comes to no surprise that when I get on here you guys are having the same problems with the ďShamanĒ as I. Look I have been playing this game since release and I have loved it. Iíve pretty much powered through the entire ďunplayableĒ period. It was the first and only game I ever bought a season pass for. And Iíve spent the entire year trying to convince my friends to get this game. Iím usually never one to complain or ask for nerfs. Sure there are plenty of annoying characters that I hate fighting. Nobushi was the first, with the quick and annoying poison. Lord knows how much I hate fighting a Valkyrie, the berserker can get OP if you arenít patient and since itís buff the Lawbringers Defenses are almost(Iím my opinion) impenetrable.

But come on guys really? You all canít sit up here and tell me that the Shaman isnít ridiculous. Sheís far too quick and her mix up makes it so hard to predict if you are playing against top tier players good luck. And let me not start with the pounce. Look I have no problem with her ability to do so I have a problem with it having a 95% success rate and taking down just under half your health depending upon the character.

From my personal experience right now if you want any chance of beating a Shaman you better Attack! Attack! Attack! You have to be more aggressive than she is and pray your opponent isnít great at countering because of you get on the defensive against her youíve lost. Once you become conservative you open up her entire arsenal of moves and you will NEVER be able to predict what she is going to do. For crying out loud she has 2 launch attacks óor whatever you guys call itó from different directions that are similar to the gladiators except hers are heavies. Good luck countering that.

Now Iím not saying right off back that she should be nerfed. Some of you are going as far to quit out the game when you someone playing as a Shaman. Thatís too far. But there are others here who are defending her with arguments such as ďitís only been a weekĒ. Really? Come on dude. I saw one guy say that they were playing dominion and they only ever lost when there was a Shaman on the other team. And a lot of people are calling him whiny and all kinds of other derogatory terms. Well I guess Iím whiny too then. I only want whatís best for this game. So if any one have any tips they want to share Iím all ears.

I play Xbox One my Gamertag is POLOisCampGod you have probably played against me. FYI if you message me I cant message back Iím banned until February from communication due to the snowflakes in this game who canít handle an ďLĒ
Shaman is much easier to handle if you're playing a character that can do a dodge strike or push after dodge like the Conq. Characters that don't have that and must stand their ground against her have a harder time of it. I main Kensei and the Shaman hasn't been that big a deal to me, I love fighting against aggressive players as it gives me more of a chance to open them up.

It is quite a different experience facing a Shaman with a character that has no dodge strikes and has to stand firm against her. The thing I have found useful is to go aggressive against her and pressure her as much as possible in small bursts. This will discourage her use of pounce at close range as she won't want to risk getting hit out of it. She's not bothered at all by turtle tactics so the only way to try and shut her down is to on the offensive and be prepared to block her hits if you can't punish them with a dodge strike. Most Shaman I face start throwing out heavy cancels into bleed and doing her 400ms jump strike when pressured. For a character like Kensei with his dodge strike leading into his mixup chains this is great but for characters without a dodge + punish it is more difficult to deal with.

PDXGorechild
11-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Spin chop the f*ck outta that little b*tch.

Takuram
11-22-2017, 12:56 PM
Pressure, Pressure, Pressure... Shaman has a hard time on the defense, her main game is to mix you up with the pounces / dash... be on her face, lots of light attacks, when she dodges backwards you go immediatelly after her with a light or a GB...

MrSkuII
11-22-2017, 05:16 PM
I've been pondering this along side other comments that there seems to be some input issues lately, and I'm wondering if part of the reason (Not entirely mind you) that shaman feels so dang OP is because of this.

I've noticed even against classic heroes that my stance switching feels incredibly delayed or even negated entirely (Though sometimes it's because I panic and spam a little bit).

I've tried fighting against lvl 2&3 Shaman AI, and with exception to the soft feint lights, I seldom manage to block her attacks even though I've seen my guard stance switch and even turn white in the appropriate direction. This coupled with people saying they've been hit and taken full damage while blocking appropriately does make me a little optimistic that at least 'part' of her deathly death powers are related to input issues.

SoulEavens
11-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Conq here i don't have too much of a Problem with here, for me it's always pretty much 50/50 chance of loosing/winning.
Something that i noticed that throws her completly off Balance when she goes all Attack wild are, just throwing a few Light Attacks out. When she tries to Feint, or Pounce or do any of her fancier Stuff, it hits and interrupts her. If you start to Bleed, Attack! gett thos lights swinging and don't stop until you aren't bleeding anymore. Even if you get parried, it should buy you enough time to let the bleed Pass. Other than that Parry her Lights. I actually have the most problem with her when she Light Spamms.

Dodge Attack, has already been mentiond, that one is very very cruical when fighting her, and can really protect you from the pounce if she isn't too close.