PDA

View Full Version : Why arent there bigger shields in ACO?

topeira1980
11-19-2017, 03:41 PM
i was pretty disappointed that all the shields Bayek can use are all very much the same in size. There are no larger round shields or elliptic shields like the ones the enemies are using.
Maybe tower shields are too big, but the other types the AI is using (especially the enemies who use a long sword and a shield. the ones that can jump at the player) seem fitting with the assassin.
Just because there is a differnt texture on a round shield of the exact same proportions doesnt make it feel very different. They all share the same silhuette and size and feel very much the same. even the elonged shields all are the same size - small. just a couple of shields that are maybe half a foot or a foot bigger would allow us to somewhat change the "feel" of the character.

On the other hand - all the one handed swords are HUGE and way out of propotion. to the point where women in the game cant probably close their hands on the hilt.

Anyone else feels the same?

Ghost416
11-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Some hoplite-size shields would be great.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/17/4d/3e/174d3efe40fee0f66289933936dd9709--greek-history-ancient-greek.jpg

But I doubt it will happen. :(

CliveVLewis
11-19-2017, 07:07 PM
I was actually thinking the same think. Some of these shields are really good and if they were a little bigger, it would've looked amazing.

Bayek just looks a little odd with a small shield the back.

Additionally, the size of the shield would also affect the amount of protection he would have.

So having a small shield with insane protection against melee sounds odd.

Also we have a shield in-game with a lion's face on it 'Cannot recall the name'

I found an image similar to it online

https://imgur.com/a/Z3b9W

https://imgur.com/a/Z3b9W

AssAsINHoLY
11-20-2017, 11:23 AM
I believe you are talking about Compendium.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/2484/EUTM2R.png

ProdiGurl
11-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Don't forget that people have complained that you have to have it strapped on your back everywhere you go & how bad it looks... imagine lugging it around if it was alot bigger.
We'd have even more complaints of how cumbersome it is for an assassin.

Breyzipp
11-20-2017, 11:49 AM
I assume bigger shields for Bayek are left out because they would otherwise clip into the character during all the acrobatic animations.

CliveVLewis
11-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Don't forget that people have complained that you have to have it strapped on your back everywhere you go & how bad it looks... imagine lugging it around if it was alot bigger.

LOL.

I think no matter what is added or done by UBISOFT there will always be people complaining.

I read on reddit, if I find the link I will post it.

1 guy was complaining that when Bayek hides in the grass or bushes, you can still see his shield and weapons.

But, it would look really nice to have a decent sized shield.

IsAZebraACat
11-20-2017, 12:01 PM
The one that they've shown with the Horus Pack looks fairly large! And it looks awesome.

ProdiGurl
11-20-2017, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't care what size shield he has . all I know is, whatever size or type it is will be complained about lol

CliveVLewis
11-20-2017, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't care what size shield he has . all I know is, whatever size or type it is will be complained about lol

Agreed

ProdiGurl
11-20-2017, 12:30 PM
I have the one with blue mist coming off of it - I saw some complaints to remove that but I like it... it makes it more 'legendary' /special to me that way.
To each their own. :)

CliveVLewis
11-20-2017, 12:39 PM
I like the mist effect that the posioned weapons have.

It look really deadly

ProdiGurl
11-20-2017, 02:19 PM
That's one of my favorite things - it's a kool dark blue vapor... ya it looks lethal & nasty. It overtakes the regret I feel when I see innocent children & animals suffering as they melt & explode LoL

But let's always remember, it's not the size of the Shield.... it's how you use it
:p :D

R3cKI
11-20-2017, 02:32 PM
the shield size is ok. just a small buckler for counter and perfect for use with any weapon origins offers, also free running approved.
im fine with the shield

CliveVLewis
11-20-2017, 02:37 PM
But let's always remember, it's not the size of the Shield.... it's how you use it
:p :D

LOL

I have to agree with that

Uranus888
11-20-2017, 03:20 PM
like so many other things in life :-)

Grayfox-87-
11-20-2017, 03:39 PM
has someone the Remission Shield and can show me a Pic how it looks if it is equipped? From the Side and the Front?

Agent...Tex
11-20-2017, 03:39 PM
So the consensus is, Size Matters. ;)

topeira1980
11-20-2017, 04:09 PM

the issue is not that the shields are too small...

even the compendium shield is too small. its so small its looks like a brochure to a Japanese band concert that you wear on your back.

its that there are no larger shields at all. none. they are all 100% the exact same size.
There is a variety in swords, spears, axes, heavy weapons... but the shields do not. they might have a small difference in the depth\arc, but there are no shields in the size of what the enemies are using. a slightly bigger shield. how come every single round shield bayek uses is the EXACT SAME SIZE? why no variation? just one round shield that is about a foot larger. just one!
It's like in The Wtcher 3 or Shadow of war every single sword is exactly the same length and proportions. they are so identical that there is no sense of variety. its impossible to even tell what sword you are using because their silhuette and style are all the same.
the shields size is so consistant that it feels either like a lazy job to model something a tad bigger (not likely the case. it takes an artist 10 seconds to stretch a shield to be a bit bigger) or some technical limitation or short sighted developers that didnt think it will be an issue or that anyone would care.

well, obviously someone cares. its a game. we are gamers :P

ProdiGurl
11-20-2017, 05:28 PM
>>>even the compendium shield is too small. its so small its looks like a brochure to a Japanese band concert that you wear on your back. <<<
LoL
Well that wooden shield is alot bigger than the others from what I remember, it's just that I only used it near the beginning of the game due to it not being near as sturdy the more you level up & attain better shield quality.
I really don't care about the size lol & I stand by my comments that no matter what Ubi does or doesn't do, there's criticism from every side.
If this was something more obnoxiously disproportionate, I'd care about it. It just never struck me in regular gameplay.

CliveVLewis
11-20-2017, 05:33 PM
I really don't care about the size lol LMAO

& I stand by my comments that no matter what Ubi does or doesn't do, there's criticism from every side.
If this was something more obnoxiously disproportionate, I'd care about it. It just never struck me in regular gameplay.

Honestly it does not matter how the shield look in the gameplay. But, the whole debate started with regards to the fact about how it should have looked.

Criticism is always there. Even if a game is made 100% good.

ProdiGurl
11-20-2017, 05:59 PM
I really don't care about the size lol LMAO

& I stand by my comments that no matter what Ubi does or doesn't do, there's criticism from every side.

Honestly it does not matter how the shield look in the gameplay. But, the whole debate started with regards to the fact about how it should have looked.

Criticism is always there. Even if a game is made 100% good.
LoL - I was hoping I wouldn't get a warning from Mods on starting that whole thing but I just couldn't pass it up O:)
Ya that's too true from the years I've been here. & I still think that in all the game forums/comments, AC stands out as the one most harshly critiqued on absolutely everything even tho I totally get that there's always room for improvement & there are some real issues w/ this game.
In this case, it's nothing my eye went to as any disproportional problem or that we needed bigger shields.

CliveVLewis
11-20-2017, 06:09 PM
LoL - I was hoping I wouldn't get a warning from Mods on starting that whole thing but I just couldn't pass it up O:)
Ya that's too true from the years I've been here. & I still think that in all the game forums/comments, AC stands out as the one most harshly critiqued on absolutely everything even tho I totally get that there's always room for improvement & there are some real issues w/ this game.
In this case, it's nothing my eye went to as any disproportional problem or that we needed bigger shields.

LOL.

Just head over to the Ghost Recon Ghost War threads. People are getting Hostile now. LOL

It's ridiculous.

Like you stated earlier. AC forums have a decent amount of mature people. This is the only thing that keeps this forum constructive, at least for most part.

TaylorBlakeH
11-20-2017, 09:09 PM
This was such an opportunity from a story perspectives that was completely wasted...

Considering this was the ORIGINS story for the Assassin's, I'd hoped to see a lot of time spent on the development of the typical Assassin's skills and methods (i.e stealth over brute force, the acrobatic style of their parkour and movements, etc...). I expected that Bayek would be more of a warrior, using a shield and conspicuous weapons (as was the style of the era), learning over time (and notable experiences) how much more efficient stealth, and social disguise can be, forming the tenets/principles of how Assassins operate.

Instead, they did none of this. Bayek is just some guy, he killed a few targets for revenge, and that's about it. This was such a wasted opportunity as far as the story goes.... I can really enjoy the RPG-style this game brought, but I feel like it shouldn't have been used on a game operating on the incredibly story-driven premise this "origin story" was purported to. They should have had far more cinematic cut-scenes and drama to draw you into these experiences. There was zero character exposition, and even less development. I feel nothing for any of these people I met in this game. I was really disappointed

bbucha
11-27-2017, 02:52 PM
I just wish there would be more shields for Bajek to use, to be honest i was sort of a bit baffled that you gained legendary weapons from the Phylakes but not a single shield, while the shield of them looks "AWSOME" Same as with the Blue Oval Bandit shield (one of these guys can be found in Siwa at the place where you get captured during the intro It would've be great if you would be able to obtain these in one of the upcoming expansions.
Here are some pics :
https://abload.de/img/2017112613363903a38.jpg
https://abload.de/img/20171126133440onlme.jpg
https://abload.de/img/2017112613355069z2d.jpg

And the blue oval one...
https://abload.de/img/20171127144715ipy9z.jpg

CliveVLewis
11-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Those are some really nice shields. It is in the game. UBISOFT, would you be so kind and give us access to them? :p

IsAZebraACat
11-27-2017, 03:22 PM
After getting the Sun and Moon shield, I don't think I will ever use a different one.

CliveVLewis
11-27-2017, 03:25 PM
I would really like to use a Big shield and a spear

Ubi-Boat
11-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback submitted over the suggestion of adding a bigger variety of shields, everyone! I will submit this thread to the team in my next report!

bbucha
11-28-2017, 04:51 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback submitted over the suggestion of adding a bigger variety of shields, everyone! I will submit this thread to the team in my next report!
Awesome, hope they digg the idea and add them to the loot pool.

topeira1980
11-28-2017, 09:43 PM
I just wish there would be more shields for Bajek to use, to be honest i was sort of a bit baffled that you gained legendary weapons from the Phylakes but not a single shield, while the shield of them looks "AWSOME" Same as with the Blue Oval Bandit shield (one of these guys can be found in Siwa at the place where you get captured during the intro It would've be great if you would be able to obtain these in one of the upcoming expansions.
Here are some pics :
https://abload.de/img/2017112613363903a38.jpg
https://abload.de/img/20171126133440onlme.jpg
https://abload.de/img/2017112613355069z2d.jpg

And the blue oval one...
https://abload.de/img/20171127144715ipy9z.jpg

yes. so much yes.
there are tons of shield models in the game that bayek cant use. i have a feeling its a clipping issue to have a shield bigger than what he already has. there's probably a technical reason why there is not even a SINGLE SHIELD that is bigger in diameter that doesnt look like a Kinder toy.