PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-SaitekX45 or CH Fighter Stick USB

Komet1
02-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I have just found this site four days ago, and have become hooked. I've never played a flight sim before, but after searching the FB site I've decided to take the plunge. Ordered the Aces Gold Package yesterday, and now the big question-which joystick to purchase, Saitek X45 or CH Fighter Stick USB. My concerns are 1)difficulty of programming, 2)longevity, 3)ease of use. I consider my self to be "technology challenged" but the high degree of realism of FB is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks to all who reply.
Komet1

Komet1
02-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I have just found this site four days ago, and have become hooked. I've never played a flight sim before, but after searching the FB site I've decided to take the plunge. Ordered the Aces Gold Package yesterday, and now the big question-which joystick to purchase, Saitek X45 or CH Fighter Stick USB. My concerns are 1)difficulty of programming, 2)longevity, 3)ease of use. I consider my self to be "technology challenged" but the high degree of realism of FB is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks to all who reply.
Komet1

BuzzU
02-29-2004, 01:49 PM
I've had both sticks. The CH will out last any stick on the market time three, and feel better doing it the whole time. Programming is about equal between the two of them, and not really hard. You really need to get the whole CH setup to get all the benefits of the CH. That would be Fighterstick, Pro throttle, and Pro Pedals. Much more expensive than the X-45, but worth it to me.

Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Jamnut/clark19.jpg

RevvinUK
02-29-2004, 01:57 PM
The CH Fighterstick is easy to program, the Control Manager software displays a picture or your joystick and you just click on a button to program it or just use the stick in DirectX mode and map the buttons within IL-2:FB. As for longevity..CH has a very good reputation for build quality with many users still happily using their gameport CH sticks bought many years ago, I myself have a Foce FX stick that lasted me more than 5 years before I went onto a USB setup. The beauty is that once you get used to the software it has great potential if you want to take your stick further with CMS scripting that allows for some advanced control over your sims. The Fighterstick and IL-2:FB is the ideal start into this hobby.

Revvin

The CH Hangar - Profiles, scripting ideas and discussion for CH users (http://www.ch-hangar.com)

GAU-8
02-29-2004, 04:41 PM
I would go CH as well, even though i do have the X45. its a great stick FOR THE PRICE... but expect "something" to break between 3~10 months.(if so return it ..and you usually get a new one back) if you got the cash ..go CH all the way. not even cougar is as good a return as CH.

Kamikaze_Gibbon
02-29-2004, 04:52 PM
I have a Saitek X-45. I really like it but I can see problems if you have small hands.

I have not tried programming the X-45 yet, but there are a few board regulars who would probably give you their set up / config files for it if you ask them.

I cannot answer the question of longevity as I have only had this stick for one month or so (however, it feels far better constructed than the Logitech Wingman that it replaced)

As for ease of use - it is fine if you have hands sized according to the (average?) ergonomic sizes that Saitek design their sticks to. Otherwise it may be uncomfortable to use.

I recommend that you try each stick before buying and make up your mind based on that.

If this makes no sense, please feel free to ignore as I have been for a few drinks tonight! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif