PDA

View Full Version : PvP Store/Cartman Store - Buy 1 at a time or buy all 10?

TastesFunny
11-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Hey folks,

Does anyone know if it's more cost effective to buy items from the in-game free stores 1 at a time, 10 at once, or somewhere in the middle?

I couldn't find any info on how the prices scale for 1 at a time transactions anywhere. The particular card I want to buy is Rare and currently purchasable in the PvP shop: 1st card for 50 tickets and 10 cards for 2,750 tickets.

What would be the most cost-effective course of action here?

Cryonics
11-13-2017, 08:24 PM
The price is a simple recursive loop function that takes the purchase amount and starting price as arguments.
Each iteration it adds the cards original cost to the currentprice, making the next purchase incrementially more exspensive. It also saves the current total price, which is just the amount you will need to pay for X amount of items.

Here is come code I wrote in Java, that solves the problem:

public class MainApp {

public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("Price: " + TotalPrice(50, 10));
}

static int TotalPrice(int price, int amount) {

int originalPrice = price;
int sum = 0;

for (int x = 1; x <= amount; x++) {
sum = sum + price;
System.out.println("Purchase #" + x + ", Item Price: " + price + ", Current Sum: " + sum);
price = price + originalPrice;
}
return sum;
}
}

Executing the code prints out the following in the console:
Purchase #1, Item Price: 50, Current Sum: 50
Purchase #2, Item Price: 100, Current Sum: 150
Purchase #3, Item Price: 150, Current Sum: 300
Purchase #4, Item Price: 200, Current Sum: 500
Purchase #5, Item Price: 250, Current Sum: 750
Purchase #6, Item Price: 300, Current Sum: 1050
Purchase #7, Item Price: 350, Current Sum: 1400
Purchase #8, Item Price: 400, Current Sum: 1800
Purchase #9, Item Price: 450, Current Sum: 2250
Purchase #10, Item Price: 500, Current Sum: 2750
Price: 2750

This means that if you buy every single item, one at a time, then the total price will be 2750 tickets, which is exactly the same as buying in bulk.

/edit: changed around some code to make the output more understandable.

TheGulgoth
11-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Why exactly did you feel the need to post all that explanation rather than just saying its same price?

Cryonics
11-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Why exactly did you feel the need to post all that explanation rather than just saying its same price?

Because you should never just take someone's word as hard facts. Maybe someone would be interested in the method. And if I made a mistake then someone could correct me. And some people like to write "joinTEAM POKEMON TURD" threads. I like to write this kind of stuff.. it's all a waste of time in the end, wouldn't you say so?

/edit oh and another reason is that someone else can now use the code to calculate and plan ahead any purchase they might need. Say you needed 4 Deckhand Butters, then just insert it into the function and you get that it will cost you 750. You will of course need a compiler for that, but hey, I'm a programmer so this is little work for me ;)

nik_lin
11-14-2017, 11:45 AM
To answer the original question: the most cost effective way is to play the game longer and buy just a few items each time at a low price when store items are refreshed. I usually buy between 1 and 5 of each upgrade item, depending on how useful they are to me.

Takes longer to get all the items you need, but saves you money in the end.