PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Server Graphical User Interface

ProtosTheGreat
12-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Salute! Oleg

First I would like to commend you on your excellent work. Please keep doing your best for the Flight Sim Community.I cant wait till BOB. I have been playing FB since it came out but have recently gotten more serious about it as patches have been released that corrected most of the problems.

I would like to offer some suggestions. First let me say that the Dedicated Server version was a Fantastic accomplishment that was sorely needed and has infused the game with new life. I predict this will bring many more people into the Flight Sim Community.Well Done!!!

Having Said that Oleg I think that it needs to be more User Friendly regarding making changes to Missions, Maps and Settings. Also some form of AntiCheat and Ping Control are a must. The console is just to time consuming and complicated. I believe that a simple Graphical User Interface to input Mission,Map and Difficulty as well as something for of Anticheat and Ping control(ability to limit access to server for high pingers at admins discretion) is an absolute MUST if we are to continue the proliferation of Dedicated Servers.

I know many people who have tried and have given up, myself included. I don't want to overgeneralize but I believe most people myself included are not comfortable making changes through the console.A GUI would eliminate this and have MANY MANY more Dedicated Servers out there. As you know, people who host servers have their friends play on them and their friends bring their friends.....ect. This brings many more people into the Community who will BUY the game. I am not totally computer illiterate, I built my last 4 rigs. I am just uncomfortable with the console as a way to make changes. I believe a Web Admim is necessary.I host other games and they all have this feature. I am not a programmer so I don't know how much work it would take, but to my untrained eye it would seem to be relatively easy to correlate the basic settings with a GUI.

I hope that you will consider this in the spirit that it was written. On carefull consideration I think you would agree that it is a good idea.

Again keep up the good work and I hope that this request can be fullfilled.

With Respects

Peter Haskos

[This message was edited by ProtosTheGreat on Mon December 29 2003 at 10:22 PM.]

[This message was edited by ProtosTheGreat on Mon December 29 2003 at 10:24 PM.]

ProtosTheGreat
12-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Salute! Oleg

First I would like to commend you on your excellent work. Please keep doing your best for the Flight Sim Community.I cant wait till BOB. I have been playing FB since it came out but have recently gotten more serious about it as patches have been released that corrected most of the problems.

I would like to offer some suggestions. First let me say that the Dedicated Server version was a Fantastic accomplishment that was sorely needed and has infused the game with new life. I predict this will bring many more people into the Flight Sim Community.Well Done!!!

Having Said that Oleg I think that it needs to be more User Friendly regarding making changes to Missions, Maps and Settings. Also some form of AntiCheat and Ping Control are a must. The console is just to time consuming and complicated. I believe that a simple Graphical User Interface to input Mission,Map and Difficulty as well as something for of Anticheat and Ping control(ability to limit access to server for high pingers at admins discretion) is an absolute MUST if we are to continue the proliferation of Dedicated Servers.

I know many people who have tried and have given up, myself included. I don't want to overgeneralize but I believe most people myself included are not comfortable making changes through the console.A GUI would eliminate this and have MANY MANY more Dedicated Servers out there. As you know, people who host servers have their friends play on them and their friends bring their friends.....ect. This brings many more people into the Community who will BUY the game. I am not totally computer illiterate, I built my last 4 rigs. I am just uncomfortable with the console as a way to make changes. I believe a Web Admim is necessary.I host other games and they all have this feature. I am not a programmer so I don't know how much work it would take, but to my untrained eye it would seem to be relatively easy to correlate the basic settings with a GUI.

I hope that you will consider this in the spirit that it was written. On carefull consideration I think you would agree that it is a good idea.

Again keep up the good work and I hope that this request can be fullfilled.

With Respects

Peter Haskos

[This message was edited by ProtosTheGreat on Mon December 29 2003 at 10:22 PM.]

[This message was edited by ProtosTheGreat on Mon December 29 2003 at 10:24 PM.]

ProtosTheGreat
02-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Oleg, damn fine game, but really need a better way to make changes to the server. Please look into it.

BanditBill
02-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Agreed.

I've run a dedicated server a few times, and it hurts my head to try to lump out how to set up the server in that 'dos' mode. It makes the experience somewhat less than fun.

Running a dedicated server could be 'dumbed down' with a GUI interface.

Charos
02-06-2004, 01:48 AM
For stability its always best to just utilise a DOS window. Perhaps an Option of GUI inerface or DOS window would be good.

As long as the GUI is very Basic and does not use more than 16bit Colour as most Remote standalone dedicated servers have Very little in the Way of Graphics Power.

CARBONFREEZE
02-06-2004, 03:17 AM
A GUI is a good way to make the dedicated server complicated. Your going to use more memory overhead and increase CPU useage with a GUI, and you won't be able to configure it as much as if you took the time to write a script for your server.

A command line interface requires 1/100th the resrouces of a GUI.

Some things should be added, like live TOD change, ping settings, more support for remote admin. But a GUI is not neccisary.

Coming from a command line background (linux), I know you can do more with a command line compared to a GUI (limited choices). It would take more time to write a program to create scripts based on your input for map/tod/difficulty than it would to simply write the script, it isn't that difficult.

Russian aircraft require skill to fly.
German aircraft require ten times that skill, and one hundred times the patience!

WUAF_CO_CRBNFRZ on HyperLobby

Hunter82
02-06-2004, 04:20 AM
you can simplify your set up with the DS by inserting commands like mp_dotrange settings, max ping, etc in the server.cmd. Then if you want to rotate maps on a time limit you can add time break commands with a loop back or just create multiple server.cmd file with settings and map names then from command line just type f server1.cmd (or whatever you have named them I use server1,server2,server3 etc) and hit enter then next map will load.

==============================
Mudmovers (http://www.mudmovers.com)
ATI Catalyst Beta Tester
Catalyst Feedback (http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/)
Catalyst Driver Download (http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html)

ProtosTheGreat
02-07-2004, 03:45 PM
CarbonFreeze and Hunter I appreciate your grasp of the command line. But please try and keep in mind that most of us are not code jockeys. I for one know squat about linux or the command line and in my opinion neither do most people. I can manipulate an ini, given a little time. However I feel that the Dedicated Server remote control needs to be more userfriendly. I will not go out on a limb and exceed my understanding of how many rescourses it would require but seeing as most games have some form of gui, it is only reasonable to bring it to this great sim. The more GOOD servers we can get up the better. By the way Hunter, I have read many of your articles and you have helped a lot of pilots. Keep up the good work.

FourShades
02-07-2004, 05:11 PM
It is true that a GUI takes more resources than a console interface. But it is not true that a GUI will turn the dedicated server into a monstrous, overblown resource hog. People were writing DOS-based GUIs for XT PCs in the 1980's. Even BIOS systems use these!

It would be nice if the server presented the administrator with the choice of using a stripped down, simplified GUI or the full command line method.

However, and this is fully Maddox's call, it takes time to design and write user interfaces. They probably aren't just sitting around looking for new things to write...

Have fun!
IV/JG7_4Shades

RAAF_Mako
02-09-2004, 06:57 AM
A remote console gui or php web interface could be done outside of Maddox, all that would be needed is to setup the config ini for the server to allow the ip of the said console client to connect. This way the client could be written to have buttons and/or wiz bang gui incorporating the commands.

The only problem with this is that not all commands are settable(difficulty for eg.) once a mission is loaded and of course the client would have to be written. The scripters ie. FBDaemon and FBMC are console examples of these clients, as well as the 2 clients that come with the dedicated server.

_RAAF_Mako

Zen--
02-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Why can't some of the more enterprising members of the community write their own GUI? Several people have done similar things with mission generators IIRC and there is FBD, which while not a GUI clearly polls information from the game. If you can draw info out of a game, then it stands to reason you can create a simple interface to send commands to the console.

After all, a GUI is nothing more than a visual tool for sending commands. You click on a mouse to do something, it's the same as typing the command line syntax.

I think it can be done from within the community personally. I am pretty sure we have the talent out there.

-Zen-
Formerly TX-Zen

BaldieJr
02-09-2004, 09:29 AM
If you can't figure out how to run a dedicated server, you shouldn't be running one.

I mean really. If you have real bandwidth (not crappy DSL/Cable), and you can't do something as simple as run IL2:FB as a dedicated server, your server has probably already been pwn3d by some l337 d00dz in china.

Thats all we need: more crappy servers on HL. There are speed-demons and super-computers setting empty now: I really don't see a need to bring more to the table.

No offense, but this is an unwise request.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| / ( / ,' NR / |
|(_/ ..-""``"'-._ (_/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>

crazyivan1970
02-09-2004, 10:03 AM
There is a console, very nicely done by one guy from germany. users friendly and simple to install. Either post your e-mail here or via privat topic i`ll e-mail it to everyone. It was available for download, but i can`t remember the link. Small file, 86kb i think.

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

BBB_Hyperion
02-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Wait a little more i am working on such thing that would allow console command things ,including some others over Buttons . Also Remote Mapchange or Custom commands over a GUI and Buttons . Testing is not completed yet . I have just not much Time to complete it right now so will be little delayed.

Regards,
Hyperion

SodBuster43
02-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Crazyivan tried to explain setting up the dedicated server to me. I had the thing working but noone ever joined and after a time it appeared my server had stopped or timed out or something if I left it to run indefinately.

Yes, definately, a "UI For Dummies" like myself would be just the ticket. Also, we need one that can rotate the maps automatically.

ProtosTheGreat
02-09-2004, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
If you can't figure out how to run a dedicated server, you shouldn't be running one.

I mean really. If you have real bandwidth (not crappy DSL/Cable), and you can't do something as simple as run IL2:FB as a dedicated server, your server has probably already been pwn3d by some l337 d00dz in china.

Thats all we need: more crappy servers on HL. There are speed-demons and super-computers setting empty now: I really don't see a need to bring more to the table.

No offense, but this is an unwise request.

______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
| / ( / ,' NR / |

</pre><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has to be one of the least constructive posts I have read in a while. Who made you arbiter of who should run a server or not. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif

ProtosTheGreat
02-09-2004, 05:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBB_Hyperion:
Wait a little more i am working on such thing that would allow console command things ,including some others over Buttons . Also Remote Mapchange or Custom commands over a GUI and Buttons . Testing is not completed yet . I have just not much Time to complete it right now so will be little delayed.

Regards,
Hyperion<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fantastic Hyperion, Can't wait to try it out. I have tried the one Ivan suggests. I have 100% confidence in Ivan, but competition can only breed excellence. Keep up the Good Work.

Mithel
02-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Last night I ran a dedicated server for the first time (I've been away from IL-2/FB for about nine months). It very much would help to have a GUI. And a 2D GUI will NOT bog down the server and turn it into bloatware!

More than a GUI though it needs documentation! How do you run a Coop mission? It loads them ok but then prompts the player to choose a base when they join.

- Mithel

ProtosTheGreat
02-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Mithel, try to program Ivan talks about above,

ProtosTheGreat
02-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Hyperion, I would like to add a suggestion if I may, I am not a programer but would it be possible to have a login and password? That way whoever had those could admin the server allow for control from multiple locations. I would love to see something like this implimented as it would greatly relieve the admin tasks. The program that Ivan talks about is Fantastic but it is limited to one user. Perhaps it could be modified. Ivan will know a lot more.

BBB_Hyperion
02-11-2004, 01:18 PM
For the Moment i use a Client control over Il2(ingame) itself to allow Client Remote Control. But its sure possible to Code a Own Client Server Interface for it. I added some Custom Commands along with Kick Ban UnBan Select Mission and some others . All things possible over console do work with it without Problems. At the Moment i have some other Important things to do that have priority . So i can work on it only some hours a week. Hopefully in 2 weeks situation clears out here.
Maybe we should open a private topic about it.

Regards,
Hyperion

ProtosTheGreat
02-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Be my pleasure, I will start one

WOLFMondo
02-12-2004, 02:45 AM
I use FBD and I must say that Il2 is one of the hardest games to make a decent server for. Theres very little documentation and all the different server apps are thrid party. it would be nice if there way an official server manager/remote manager. It would make life so much easier.

Wolfgaming.net. Where the Gameplay is teamplay (http://www.wolfgaming.net)

ElAurens
02-12-2004, 10:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without doubt the single most arrogant post I have seen in over 2 years on these boards.

Amazing...

http://www.blitzpigs.com/forum/images/avatars/Curtiss_logo.gif

BlitzPig_EL

Hunter82
02-13-2004, 05:34 AM
Will it work with FBD as most DS are running scripted servers and FBD requires to be set as the console in .ini

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBB_Hyperion:
For the Moment i use a Client control over Il2(ingame) itself to allow Client Remote Control. But its sure possible to Code a Own Client Server Interface for it. I added some Custom Commands along with Kick Ban UnBan Select Mission and some others . All things possible over console do work with it without Problems. At the Moment i have some other Important things to do that have priority . So i can work on it only some hours a week. Hopefully in 2 weeks situation clears out here.
Maybe we should open a private topic about it.

Regards,
Hyperion<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mudmovers (http://www.mudmovers.com)
ATI Catalyst Beta Tester
Catalyst Feedback (http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/)
Catalyst Driver Download (http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html)

BBB_Hyperion
02-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Hmm i would add you to our private discussion Hunter when i would know how i do this without starting a new one.

Regards,
Hyperion

BaldieJr
02-19-2004, 09:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without doubt the single most arrogant post I have seen in over 2 years on these boards.

Amazing...

__BlitzPig_EL__<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're darned right it is.

There are only 32 slots for servers on HL. 25 of those currently have EMPTY SERVERS.

As someone who pays to host, the last thing I want is more empty servers on HL.

______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
| / ( / ,' NR / |

</pre>

Schmouddle-WT
02-20-2004, 03:57 AM
There is something right BaldieJr says, but he should used more polite words for that.

Definately there are superb servers like Greatergreen (unfortunately half a globe away) and servers set up incorrectly or set not-enough-difficult/too-hard (apply whats your case)

So sometimes you need to play on "lame" (not to be taken personally) servers because there are not enough slots in servers you prefer.

My goal is to set a server good enough it could be compared with GG, so we can have some scripted fun since pings from CZ to LA,US are sometimes terrific.

So I have just set up a dedicated server on HL - WT_Dedicated, still in test mode - and it took me 10 days to prepare missions two missions and set it up properly.(dedicated server + FBD2Beta + some rotating messages) Even now there are mistakes I know about. I have never used FMB extensively, I have never run a dedicated server of any kind. Only after you have spent so much time and learned so much things about scripting and setting up you can get the feeling of victory (it is better than rule the server http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif).

I must admit it was difficult for me, but I have gone through that thanks to help of others.

Since there is not a complete list of server commands widely available, I was forced to search through post on various forums, which is merely wasting of time, because people keep posting stupid replies like this one... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

For me a simple GUI is the same like a complete list of commands (AND SYNTAXES).
We only can thank to guys at Greatergreen for job they did with FBDaemon.It is the best you can get at the moment,far better than manually scripting commands to server.

For Server hosts there are more important things to improve in the game than adding GUI in first place (FMB, for example)

S! Schmouddle

ElAurens
02-20-2004, 05:20 AM

You're darned right it is.

There are only 32 slots for servers on HL. 25 of those currently have EMPTY SERVERS.

As someone who pays to host, the last thing I want is more empty servers on HL.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To which I can only reply, Get A Life!!!

This is a game, an amusement, a diversion. Everyone who comes to the HyperLobby has the same rights to host or play, and if you are foolish enough to pay to host, well, I'm sorry about your luck...

http://www.blitzpigs.com/forum/images/avatars/Curtiss_logo.gif

BlitzPig_EL

BaldieJr
02-20-2004, 08:55 AM
I provide a service at no cost to you, and you call me a fool? Whatever.

Maybe I am a fool. One thing to consider: This fool can set up a dedicated server without using a GUI.

Whats your excuse?

______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
| / ( / ,' NR / |

</pre>

crazyivan1970
02-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi Baldie, you nice? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

BaldieJr
02-20-2004, 12:12 PM
I appologise. I am waaaay out of line.

______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
| / ( / ,' NR / |

</pre>

cmirko
02-09-2006, 12:15 PM
thx for advice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, mouse emulation is a must if youre remote hosting coops http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif