PDA

View Full Version : IL2 and the heritage industry

Isatheprophet
03-25-2004, 08:13 AM
hi

Just wondering

Alot of people on here seem to want to recreate or experience the feel of ww2 combat. But can we? I am not talking about in the absolute sense but in a kind of heritage experience.

Are we not recreating an interpretation of the events based on some recollections of what we think is the past? These recollections are then packaged to us in a distorted way as history, as been being there, alive and getting the flavour of the period.

In short does this all suggest more about our present than our past. I mean its us who are creating this exprience via this game. Oleg has chosen his interpretation of the past, what was there who did what and how the aircraft performed. Indeed its his interpretation of what is WW2. So in esssence we are all indulging into a window of someone intpretation and it feels our own expections and ideas of ww2 was like.

In short we are living in today's world but thinking we are refighting old wars.

Isatheprophet
03-25-2004, 08:13 AM
hi

Just wondering

Alot of people on here seem to want to recreate or experience the feel of ww2 combat. But can we? I am not talking about in the absolute sense but in a kind of heritage experience.

Are we not recreating an interpretation of the events based on some recollections of what we think is the past? These recollections are then packaged to us in a distorted way as history, as been being there, alive and getting the flavour of the period.

In short does this all suggest more about our present than our past. I mean its us who are creating this exprience via this game. Oleg has chosen his interpretation of the past, what was there who did what and how the aircraft performed. Indeed its his interpretation of what is WW2. So in esssence we are all indulging into a window of someone intpretation and it feels our own expections and ideas of ww2 was like.

In short we are living in today's world but thinking we are refighting old wars.

Udidtoo
03-25-2004, 08:30 AM
If a plane crashes in the forest and no one is there does it make any sound?

I just try to enjoy myself by playing out on the PC what was once just a backyard boyhood daydream.

Then again I'm not all that In 2 leks U al

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
03-25-2004, 09:27 AM
No we are doing nothing more than playing around with facsimilies of the tools of that period. You could just as easily say
'do I feel I am refighting ww2 by going down to my local rifle range and firing of a couple of M1 carbine rounds at a card board cut out of a Wermacht / Allied combat soldier?'

The simple answer is NO. We are just playing soldier/pilot/ tank commander or whatever your chosen scenario is and that is all it ever will be unless your actually in fear of your own life.

chris455
03-25-2004, 12:11 PM
THATS WHY MY .50 cals have so much dispersion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Isatheprohet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

http://members.cox.net/miataman1/P47.jpg