PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on Assassin's Creed Origins (In Progress)

crusader_prophet
10-28-2017, 07:16 PM
A beautifully recreated stunning lively world with a character of its own filled with heartwarming stories and characters - what was missing from Unity.
Love Bayek as a lead character so far. He seems stable yet determined, charming yet sincere, his emotional and personality spectrum is wide but also believable at the same time. And need I mention the boy who sells exotics? haha!
Hunting feels like hunting, shooting arrows does not feel like hand holding much.
Collecting and side missions do not feel like a chore. They are fun. Even with Animus pulse, finding collectibles underneath water has a sense of discovery to it.
Love the removal of pointless disruptive skinning/loot animations.
Combat is fun (without being frustrating) just some lag issues.
PHOTO MODE!!! I need not say more. Could use a few more filters/frames/tagging options like in HZD.

Performance Issues:

FPS Issues -

Lag between controller input and action output,
Significant graphical fps dips (~2fps) as soon as I went to Senu mode (x1)

Narrative Improvements:

Senuís introduction is weak. For an important character as Senu, it should have been more dramatic such as during a mission with Khemu, Senu could have been introduced in style.
Khemuís death was hastened and not designed properly to feel his loss and set-up as a narrative driver.

Player should have been involved in helping him practice shooting with bow and arrow, such as player input should have been required to help him aim and shoot, fail a couple of times and then succeed. This would have allowed forming a bond via a feeling of accomplishment along with him via player action. Player would have felt rage when he got killed. And serve as an impactful emotional driver that it is meant to be and actually want to find out who these masked men are.

Hidden Blade "just" shows up? For a game that is called 'Origins', not the best way to introduce an iconic trait of the franchise to newcomers or veterans. It could have been the stone with which two birds could have been hit, but its introduction was a miss.

VestigialLlama4
10-28-2017, 07:41 PM
I like Bayek as a character too. He's a bit like Connor and Altair but with essential differences and I get the sense that they put effort into him to avoid making him "Ubisoft Non-White Protagonist". The problem is the writing of the other characters (supporting, villains, historical figures) is not up to snuff.

Origins is a huge leap over Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate...but those are fairly low bars. Syndicate had villains who were more interesting and well developed than the heroes and the historical figures...whereas ORIGINS has a lead character who is more well developed than everyone else in the game. So obviously the lack of focus in writing is still a major problem in these games.

And you know I think Ubisoft's lack of guts is appalling.

Bayek is from Siwa Oasis. One of the most well-known facts about that region is from the Ancient Era to the middle of the 20th Century, it was known for tolerating, and openly celebrating homosexuality and homosexual marriages among its tribal customs, and we don't get any sense of acknowledgement of this fact in this game. Bayek could have been homosexual or bisexual but the game misses that. So again, Ubisoft...no guts, no glory.

crusader_prophet
10-28-2017, 07:56 PM
I like Bayek as a character too. He's a bit like Connor and Altair but with essential differences and I get the sense that they put effort into him to avoid making him "Ubisoft Non-White Protagonist". The problem is the writing of the other characters (supporting, villains, historical figures) is not up to snuff.

Yes, I am not too far into the game. I just met Aya in Alexandria. The first villain that I assassinated, I felt a missing link. There was his assassination and then there were masked men in a mission. Narratively there wasn't a smooth transition between him being masked in Khemu mission and then hunting him down. I didn't care to hunt him down or killing him. Again, this points back to one of my previous posts where I shed concerns about UbiSoft not being able to attract talented and visionary writers, and not "just" writers. Writers like Amy Hennig who writes as well as capable of creating stories and narrative. I am also well aware her potty mouth. So far the game's narrative profile has been flat without much surprises, cliffhangers or emotional impact. However, the game overall is fun. Here is me hoping it will change. Also, the present day transition was abrupt. As much as I want a deeply rooted present day as the driver for me playing AC games, the transition to modern day was disrupting, flat and felt like a formality.

Origins is a huge leap over Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate...but those are fairly low bars. Syndicate had villains who were more interesting and well developed than the heroes and the historical figures...whereas ORIGINS has a lead character who is more well developed than everyone else in the game. So obviously the lack of focus in writing is still a major problem in these games.

And you know I think Ubisoft's lack of guts is appalling.

Bayek is from Siwa Oasis. One of the most well-known facts about that region is from the Ancient Era to the middle of the 20th Century, it was known for tolerating, and openly celebrating homosexuality and homosexual marriages among its tribal customs, and we don't get any sense of acknowledgement of this fact in this game. Bayek could have been homosexual or bisexual but the game misses that. So again, Ubisoft...no guts, no glory.

Honestly I do not know much about Egyptian history. I almost failed social studies class in tenth grade, the last time I had to take history. But I can understand the frustration if I was knowledgeable and that not being reflected in the game.