PDA

View Full Version : Maybe you just suck -- "physically"

kweassa1
10-02-2017, 04:46 AM
...I know I do. :D

There are minute differences between sources and tests, but on average human reaction speed is clocked at around 0.20 ~ 0.25 seconds = 200ms ~ 250ms = (PC standard) 12fps ~ 15fps... so you can see why stuff like flicker, or even just 500ms light attacks used to be a really serious problem for classes that had slow guard stance change.

"Slow" guard changes were usually clocked in around 20fps = 330ms... knowing now how the devs only model time units in 100ms increments, i was probably 300ms.

In order to react to 500ms light attacks (= 0.5s = 30fps), subtract the 300ms guard change time which leaves you 200ms. It means you have 0.2s to react. What it it is something like the PK's 2nd light attack at 400ms? ... you have 100ms time to react... which is about impossible as a pure physical reaction... people still block it, but mix in a lot of anticipation/estimation, or sometimes just lucky guessing.

So just how fast can you react?

---> https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

Personal best -- 221ms...

It's a result after multiple testings, knowing what to expect, and highly focusing until my head hurt.. and I can only keep that focus level for like 10 seconds max...

On first try? 467ms.... when not too focused, I seem to average in around 280~290ms... almost 300ms.

That's what old people like us are at physically. :D So it may not be just lack of experience or practice... it's entirely possible your "hardware" is just slow.. :D After the guard stance change normalization, even if my reactions at 300ms, the guard stance changes are down to 100ms... so it makes possible to block 500ms attacks, and even a good chance to block 400ms.

bmason1000
10-02-2017, 05:44 AM
I did this a while back, think i was hitting somewhere in the low 300's. It's exactly why i don't parry much. My reactions are just good enough to block most attacks... maybe i should just try to parry everything, always? I'm badically blocking at the last possible second, right?

Tundra 793
10-02-2017, 06:02 AM
I seem to be sitting at the high 200s, often near 300ms.

But I knew I was slow before For Honor finished installing, my mind was always set on relying on knowledge of my character, experience and knowledge.

You don't need lightning reflexes so much once you understand the game, and who you're fighting. When fighting Valkyries or Peacekeepers, I know there's a large chance they'll be relying on their light attacks, and I know they only ever have 3 directions to attack me from, which helps me get a feel, or just guess, when and where they're gonna hit me from.
Playing on console doesn't help either, it just forces me to think better about my defenses since I have less frames to work with.

I remember one intense Brawl match I had back in Season 2. Me and a relative newbie against another rookie and a seasoned Valkyrie. I was on my Berserker.
And every round against that Valkyrie was a real workout. She had fast lights, I had strong heavies. I think we even made it to Round 5, and every round before it was like Rocky Vs. Apollo.

Finally, I was down on health and had my back against the lava river on Village. Little health, bad position, seemed like a knockout for the Valk. But then, not even on instinct, before the game gave me any indication, I dodged to my left. Straight into the Valkyries jumping attack. I deflected, and threw her into the lava.
I had no idea I was going to deflect her, before I was halfway into the animation.

Even if your score -300 on this test, there's more to fighting than milliseconds.

RROARGATHORR
10-02-2017, 06:22 AM
I'm drunk and I got 280. Game is still broke.

Tundra 793
10-02-2017, 06:28 AM
I'm drunk and I got 280. Game is still broke.

Hey, me too!

Moondyne_MC
10-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Man, I'm 25 and I'm averaging about 320 lol. Slower than Kweassa, who is the forums grumpy old guy. Dang.

kweassa1
10-02-2017, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't worry too much guys, It only goes to show that when we defend ourselves in the game, its so much more than just pure reflexes -- and experience, anticipation, situational analysis and etc etc so much more things come into play.

It also goes to prove how we perceive incoming attacks may be seriously impacted by the telegraphed motion. Minimal/compact motion attacks are more difficult to defend against, while large motion attacks are easier -- despite having same fps speed.

mrmistark
10-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Man don't worry I'm worse than all you all. I win matches simply by having played the game so long and literally anticipating everything.

Call it Jedi mind tricks....

These are not the droids you are looking for....

BLooMeaT
10-02-2017, 02:52 PM
I am 27. Mine average reaction 171
And this game totally broken for me, especially in 4v4. I see every lag, missed animations and different timings for parry same attacks. Instant gb what i unnable to cgb just make me cry.

FredEx919
10-02-2017, 03:20 PM
251 here. Cool site and interesting to think about. Even when I was younger, I didn't have particularly great reaction times. It's impressive how fast some people are all the different games out there.

PDXGorechild
10-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Averaging 280. Can't seem to get below 250. I'm usually stoned when I play though - I definitely suck more but it allows me to remain calm and laugh when I get ganked rather than snapping my controller and screaming at my girlfriend for touching me whilst i'm in a match.

I'll try again later and see the difference. Nice find, by the way!

S0Mi_xD
10-02-2017, 06:21 PM
First run: (test run - without focus on anything exept that i know that it will turn green, but i actually don't know how it really will happen)
Average = 268
Best one: 210
Worst: 310

Second run: (with acutally knowing what will happen (estimating when it will happen to better react), adjusting my hand/finger right and getting a feeling for the mouse/click input delay)
Average = 187
Best one: 36
Worst: 254

Third run: (same conditions as the second)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6uCd2AtfnsEepnE5QsLQt4t9BpAf-pIKNuhYBV1YW1-3s2nxP1o2jDdu1tvZsAsT31KT1ZyI2iyqJ61Muctq7q3nOPRWQ PB-lTWcg59wB8L5-1Sw0FYyJqB2N_R3VLwAo_LeTfcO7Q3perEBsWtyEMtznukHRrj O7V9muSid4vixRK7NcxDhoEipdmfK4yO9J4-58-pvVtNV7tCxS95BB9YhXYzSWnlK-kBB_YuIqwXen9mTPjSHYi6oq5g1eSNiWcy6r9f3Yu8ljRv5uiM aCH8vYXacEcwDXnUDS12K_jFVNZTjhLhqDVYPItoxV43DCEVAx AJc6TPKEiVZqyJ_WB98MOgMOXz-toCbeGO6OiG8HCyR3_rpxqA9mQOIqXow4Lvuv8ziArRZ3tEIx2-gLUA1BQFqlUy1YodhAmrThVmlhdv93hIYmXzo7ZVjk0ofmV7dc ucjzIF94a-Wdl2beeFpOqGi9hDwybADyj4QLTFjAH2BP3cHLnimVAIk9n9Ou Uik4-IGGtjO5h-tW6DbIbiQO2BNhjbLogbti5CtyG_W6OHulAoW163bsfcrVz1R_ 8NQ1UNl5WH1oz-3nug3ajZZI6kqctbphltOmSkRlg=w1412-h444-no

mrmistark
10-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Must be nice. Haha I tried 10 times, ready to rock and concentrated really hard. I averaged 354 and my best score was 318 😵 Damn I'm only 23....and they say weed doesn't have lasting effects past 2 months and that's the with heaviest and consistent use. 😂😂😂

S0Mi_xD
10-02-2017, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't worry too much guys, It only goes to show that when we defend ourselves in the game, its so much more than just pure reflexes -- and experience, anticipation, situational analysis and etc etc so much more things come into play.

It also goes to prove how we perceive incoming attacks may be seriously impacted by the telegraphed motion. Minimal/compact motion attacks are more difficult to defend against, while large motion attacks are easier -- despite having same fps speed.

Indeed - it is more than just reaction, it's a mix out of reaction, comfort, experience, practice, adaptation, equipment ( this is a huge part - Monitor(refresh rate etc), mouse+keyboard or gamepad where i think gamepads have less input delay and do feel much better in the hand, but a mouse and keyboard are not that limited to certain fingers like a gamepad (means you don't have to switch with your thumb from button to button).

bmason1000
10-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Man don't worry I'm worse than all you all. I win matches simply by having played the game so long and literally anticipating everything.

Call it Jedi mind tricks....

These are not the droids you are looking for....That's basically where I'm at haha. I'm too old for this s***, my noggin aint what it was 10 and definitely not 20 years ago. Almost all of my success in FH can be attributed to predictions, reads and experience. I've tried playing reflexively before and failed realllll hard every time haha.

S0Mi_xD
10-02-2017, 06:52 PM
That's basically where I'm at haha. I'm too old for this s***, my noggin aint what it was 10 and definitely not 20 years ago. Almost all of my success in FH can be attributed to predictions, reads and experience. I've tried playing reflexively before and failed realllll hard every time haha.

Reaction is just a small part of the success ^^.

I do play video games since i was 5 (18 years gaming experience), all kinds of them :D
So experience in general is a big part, also it needs pratice to predict/read the right way ;)

Playing pure on reflexes will kill you, because you need to be relaxed to a certain point, but playing on pure reflexes brings to much pressure (point of view from my experience).

Datsurb1
10-02-2017, 08:07 PM
My average is always 180-190ms. This is thanks to For Honor. Before I started playing this game, my average was as high as 220ms!

gj4063
10-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Reaction is just a small part of the success ^^.

I do play video games since i was 5 (18 years gaming experience), all kinds of them :D
So experience in general is a big part, also it needs pratice to predict/read the right way ;)

Playing pure on reflexes will kill you, because you need to be relaxed to a certain point, but playing on pure reflexes brings to much pressure (point of view from my experience).

Playing in your parents cool basement helps too.

Moondyne_MC
10-02-2017, 11:39 PM
Averaging 280. Can't seem to get below 250. I'm usually stoned when I play though - I definitely suck more but it allows me to remain calm and laugh when I get ganked rather than snapping my controller and screaming at my girlfriend for touching me whilst i'm in a match.

I'll try again later and see the difference. Nice find, by the way!

I'm wondering if that's why my score was lower than I expected, baha. I do alright in game, can react to most attacks, so assumed I'd have slightly higher than normal reaction speeds, but I suppose it makes sense to be a bit slowed down, haha. Gonna have to try and play straight at least one time.

Moondyne_MC
10-02-2017, 11:46 PM
You know, this thread has me thinking - we've seen the ~200ms average reaction speed number thrown around, but if the majority of us (who play this highly reactive game) aren't really approaching that figure, I wonder how that figure was reached? Do they measure eyeball reaction speed instead perhaps? I find it hard to believe the average person would have 200ms finger reaction speed after doing that test, haha.

S0Mi_xD
10-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Playing in your parents cool basement helps too.

Ah - that's why my reacton speed is so inconsistent O_O . . . living on the attic floor !!

BLOOD-E-BARON
10-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Man, I'm 25 and I'm averaging about 320 lol. Slower than Kweassa, who is the forums grumpy old guy. Dang.

How old is old anyway? I'm 30 so what would that make the grumpy old guy of the forums?

S0Mi_xD
10-02-2017, 11:59 PM
You know, this thread has me thinking - we've seen the ~200ms average reaction speed number thrown around, but if the majority of us (who play this highly reactive game) aren't really approaching that figure, I wonder how that figure was reached? Do they measure eyeball reaction speed instead perhaps? I find it hard to believe the average person would have 200ms finger reaction speed after doing that test, haha.

Average Pure reaction speed is form 200-300 (as far as i know it), it looks like it hits and fits.

That was just the reaction on a color change - a moving animation is someting differend, paired with the color change and a short blink of the indicator.
But then the question is, what equipment they used to test it - to get good numbers.

I think those 500ms for a light attack is a good number theoretically, but practically it was relativly easy to react (befor time snap removal)
On the other hand, i have a feeling that they underestimated the skill of many players, as well as other things, like P2P, Parry reward and defensive tools in general and some other things.

At least they are learning :D (seems so)

Moondyne_MC
10-03-2017, 12:07 AM
How old is old anyway? I'm 30 so what would that make the grumpy old guy of the forums?

I'm not sure how old Kwe is, I just know he's brought it up a handful of times lol. I'm assuming in his mid 40's.

UbiJurassic
10-03-2017, 02:43 AM
I have a 266ms average. Might explain my less than stellar performance in-game.

UbiNoty
10-05-2017, 12:47 AM
246. I beat UbiJurassic. That is all.

https://i.imgur.com/EjSdkqS.gif

Howard_T_J
10-05-2017, 04:43 AM
246. I beat UbiJurassic. That is all.

https://i.imgur.com/EjSdkqS.gif

You're an *** lol. I got 248.

Corvy
10-05-2017, 12:51 PM
When you have almost precognition
https://i.imgur.com/ytxgm3x.png

GMG Peter
10-05-2017, 01:25 PM
I have a 266ms average. Might explain my less than stellar performance in-game.

Lol had the 266 too
And I am 26yo..coincidence? I think not 😂

DrinkinMyStella
10-05-2017, 01:36 PM
236 here, shame the response time on for honour is affected by p2p and latency and fps.

Dude_of_Valor
10-05-2017, 01:47 PM
33 years old with an 253 average for me. Not sure if that's good, but am a avid fencer and so rely on quick reactions to score hits.

As for the game, I find that you may not always be able to react but controlling the distance gives you a better reaction time. Also one thing I am guilty of is not purposefully blocking when I should. Fights become much easier when you block 3/4 of their light attacks.

SwellChemosabe
10-05-2017, 02:59 PM
This actually reminds me of a test i did for my science class in highschool. there's a slightly more accurate way to measure your reaction time without the use of a computer (which i think might prove better because you don't have to worry about refresh rate and all that jazz)

You and a buddy, you take a ruler or meter stick and hold it out. the person you're testing holds out one hand with their index finger and thumb out ready to pinch down.

for three itterations you drop the ruler and have them catch it. record where you catch it at and wright down the measurement.

if you want to make it interesting you can do it three times while counting down to let them know when you're going to drop it, and then 3 times at random (even distract them, talk to them about their day, then drop it at some random point)

once you've done this, apply the following equation: d=1/2a t^2

S0Mi_xD
10-05-2017, 03:42 PM
When you have almost precognition
https://i.imgur.com/ytxgm3x.png

That's a nice luck shot ^^

The first try would be 316 :D

Stahlrusse
10-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Average of 279 after one beer. 29 years old, always played video games and shooters. Was never really good, never really bad.

Arthaen74
10-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Age 43, average reaction time 220ms.

I seem to hopelessly suck at For Honor no matter how much I practice and how hard I try.

How small the reaction time needs to be in this game to be somewhat on par with the average?

UbiNoty
10-05-2017, 11:20 PM
Age 43, average reaction time 220ms.

I seem to hopelessly suck at For Honor no matter how much I practice and how hard I try.

How small the reaction time needs to be in this game to be somewhat on par with the average?

While reaction time certainly does help, it's not the only determining factor of skill. To me, deep game knowledge beats and knowledge of mechanics beats out insane apms or lightning reaction times in any matchup. Keep practicing, keep learning - you'll get to a point where you'll look back and see how much you've grown.

Besides, 220 is already pretty good. :)

Arthaen74
10-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Then why is it that I find for example a simple counter guar break extremely difficult most of the time impossible to do?
Not to mention parrying anything other, than super heavy/slow heavy attacks? How many hours of practice against bots is one ready to face humans?