PDA

View Full Version : Greater reward, harsher penalty. AFK/Rage quit management brainstorm

SwellChemosabe
09-26-2017, 09:43 AM
So over the last several weeks here and there I usually see a few posts about this and typically it starts out with an idea on how to better deal with rage quitters and AFK'ers. Typically though it ends with people arguing over the pros and cons of either and devolves into a series of insults to one another on the forum.

So I thought maybe we could all use this thread as a place where we can all take our ideas and compile them together so that, when the time comes, Ubi has a singular source of information and feedback from the community.

Lately I've noticed that there's been a lot more players leaving matches right before they lose and or after they've been killed a few times in the middle of a fight.

As someone who normally never has any connection issues, has good stable internet, a perfectly functioning xbox, and an on average green NAT type, I'm finding it harder and harder to stay in games. When someone leaves it starts a domino effect of people being disconnected or, even worse, more players will start leaving until that one that somehow was keeping everything stable leaves and then the whole match DC's. It's becoming very annoying and I'm sure we'd all like to see a stop to it.

I'd like people of the forums to come together and lets all brainstorm all the ideas you can think of that might improve the probability of people staying in a match all throughout. I'm not expecting in the future that absolutely all players will then start staying in game, but if we could get it down 1/10 matches, or even fewer i feel like it would be a huge improvement.

So i'll just start this off with a couple of ideas that i've seen on the forum and then lets work from there.

A) a good touch to the penalty system would be to make it a progressive penalty. right now one quit match results in 10 minutes. it'd be nice if each consecutive penalty multiplied by 2, or maybe 3. 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, etc. etc.

B) Perhaps the For Honor community would benefit if there's was more incentive to stay in game. Right now the rewards are ok but the only real incentive is to collect your xp, which won't be a lot. Maybe we could add a "completed match" boost. To be perfectly honest I don't know the exact numbers on how end of match rewards are calculated.

C) I feel like it would really really sting rage quitters if for every time they left a match they recieved a secondary penalty (or if it seems like to much we could replace the current penalty) with a reduction to steel. The in game currency is very easy to earn so i don't think it would hurt players to badly if we recieved like a 10% or 15% reduction.

D) Would it be safe to say that the window of time for AFK'ers seems a bit long? Often times the outcome of the match can be decided within the 1-2 minutes, especially in 4v4 modes. If you start a game and you know you're going into it there's really no excuse for walking away right then and there and leaving your teammates hanging. I know people say that they have other stuff to do, like using the bathroom, making food, or perhaps just getting up to go do some task or another. But if what you have to do takes precedence over the game you're playing then maybe take care of that first before hand?

sounds a little arrogant i know but i know that if i really do have to use the bathroom and it can't wait and it's going to take a bit longer than i'd like it to then all i have to do is exit the matchmaking before the game loads. Sometimes things come up, and that's understandable. I don't blame anyone for sometimes walking away, it is a game after all, and we as people have obligations elsewhere. All i'm saying is that if you absolutely have to walk away, then walk away completely, don't sit in the game taking up space.

E) Increase the grace period: Sometimes 30 seconds just doesn't seem like enough. You get into matchmaking, you get into the face off screen, and all of a sudden you see you're outmatched in every shape of the words. The first 30 seconds is your time to decide whether or not you want to stick to it or not. And it is a reasonable amount of time. But in my mind 30 seconds is pretty fast when you're in game and i don't think some people even realize how long they have left to leave the game until it's too late.

I know we've heard these ideas before and i realize that a lot of this isn't near the top of Ubi's priority list. We're probably gonna be waiting a bit before any other changes are made to the matchmaking and penalty process. But for now this is just about the brainstorm and i feel like any ideas that anyone has might be worth while for Ubi to look at when they're finally ready to focus on this.

Anywho, that's all from me. Have a great day/night everybody!

UbiNoty
09-28-2017, 12:35 AM
Thanks for putting this together! We'd definitely like to hear more about the community's thoughts on this.

I'll try and give some insight on some of the points you brought up.
Progressive/secondary penalty: something we'd probably definitely want to do once DS kick in. Currently, players are getting unwarranted penalties even when they disconnect (which shouldn't happen) so until we can get that squared away we're hesitant to implement harsher penalties.

More incentive to stay in game - good idea! Not entirely sure how that would work though since it seems like normal end-game rewards.

The window for AFKer's right now doesn't seem to always be working as it should and we're working on it. So they're not getting kicked when they should have been.

We set the grace period at 30 seconds because any longer and we were afraid it would be too much of a negative impact on gameflow and trajectory. But I can pass along the feedback on this specifically as well.