PDA

View Full Version : Tribute Trailer

CandleInTheDark
09-13-2017, 03:24 PM
This announced on Reddit 7 minutes ago. (I said the other day >.> I stalk Eric Pope's Reddit activity)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4h3XzS6DNo

Illyrian_King
09-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Sry but this is worse, then what I expected ... like it's wasn't obvious, that is was going to become CTF, but this is simple AF without a spark of creativity -_-
I bet this won't have more player activity then Elimination or Skirmish.

Congrats Ubi for bringing us this after 3 seasons!
There are 99 things more anticipated then this and you take 9 months.

Tundra 793
09-13-2017, 04:49 PM
So, CTF with a few twists. I can dig it.

Of course at this point I'll welcome any new 4v4 mode with open arms. I am a bit concerned about run speeds though. Unless you get a speed debuff that levels the speed for all classes when carrying a Tribute, I fear the Highlander will be completely, utterly useless. The damn Lawbringer looks like Usain Bolt with a rocket up his ***, running from a starved cheetah next to him.
And whichever team gets a Shinobi on it might just auto win 'cause no one can catch him.

CandleInTheDark
09-13-2017, 04:58 PM
So, CTF with a few twists. I can dig it.

Of course at this point I'll welcome any new 4v4 mode with open arms. I am a bit concerned about run speeds though. Unless you get a speed debuff that levels the speed for all classes when carrying a Tribute, I fear the Highlander will be completely, utterly useless. The damn Lawbringer looks like Usain Bolt with a rocket up his ***, running from a starved cheetah next to him.
And whichever team gets a Shinobi on it might just auto win 'cause no one can catch him.

That is a worry.I know how I would deal with it with one flag,I played Rift on Destiny and I was the speedster since I had blink activated, that was a matter of putting someone on the routes the flag carrier would run or keeping them dead (both teams were going for the same flag). I suspect if you see a shinobi on the other team, you will want to have someone moving towards their shrine at the start of the match, the trailer implies someone carrying a tribute cannot attack so that is something to bear in mind.

I would also guess this will be played in skirmish maps, they have narrower pathways than dominion maps and the viking village especially was made with that in mind, map knowledge is going to be a key thing with this both for tribute running and for intercepting.

thornh
09-13-2017, 06:13 PM
This should just replace Skirmish. It's basically Skirmish with an actual objective. Getting all three tributes could take a while with two skilled teams. Still holding out for a proper siege mode one of these days.

Dr-KaBoom
09-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Oh look a mode that Kensei can finally contribute in...oh wait.

Illyrian_King
09-13-2017, 07:24 PM
This should just replace Skirmish. It's basically Skirmish with an actual objective. Getting all three tributes could take a while with two skilled teams. Still holding out for a proper siege mode one of these days.

+1

Oh look, I am not the only one asking for a tasty Siege Mode.

CrunaCross
09-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Sry but this is worse, then what I expected ... like it's wasn't obvious, that is was going to become CTF, but this is simple AF without a spark of creativity -_-
I bet this won't have more player activity then Elimination or Skirmish.

Congrats Ubi for bringing us this after 3 seasons!
There are 99 things more anticipated then this and you take 9 months.

exactly what I was thinking.

This is NOT what most of the community was asking for. Almost NOBODY was asking for a Capture the Flag mode, while a SIEGE mode was brought up more times than I can count. People need big and epic mode instead of this lazy joke.

There are balance issues. There are many things waiting to be fixed. But most people don't leave because of those. Most people leave simply because they GET BORED. This game has a huge lack of content and another 5 minute mode will not solve that. That's why you see a surge of players every new season, and they leave after they get bored. They come, consume the new content like an afternoon snack and off they go. And you can't blame them.

This game offers currently NOTHING for the long term.

Illyrian_King
09-13-2017, 10:31 PM
exactly what I was thinking.

This is NOT what most of the community was asking for. Almost NOBODY was asking for a Capture the Flag mode, while a SIEGE mode was brought up more times than I can count. People need big and epic mode instead of this lazy joke.

There are balance issues. There are many things waiting to be fixed. But most people don't leave because of those. Most people leave simply because they GET BORED. This game has a huge lack of content and another 5 minute mode will not solve that. That's why you see a surge of players every new season, and they leave after they get bored. They come, consume the new content like an afternoon snack and off they go. And you can't blame them.

This game offers currently NOTHING for the long term.

That's it.

I am tired of only playing Dominion, because it's the only approximation of what I want from For Honor. And other modes don't thrill me, while even Dominion has so much space for improvements, but the devs don't care!

I didn't ever hear anybody asking for a CTF. But I heard tons of people asking for a Siege Mode and Huge Battles in general.
UBI WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?
I know it's cheaper to throw out that, then a complicated Siege Mode ^^
Eventhough it would drag many players to the game!

Stop relying on the greatness of "the art of battle" ... it's fun indeed, but this can't be the whole game. It's boring meanwhile only to beat the **** out of other players in "thrilling" duels and little conflicts in general. It's the same all time! And it's not like the heroes have huge movesets at all!
Do you really think this will keep players for ever at FH? ^^

For Honor did become way more of brawler, then a battlefield simulator!

CandleInTheDark
09-13-2017, 10:41 PM
That's it.

I am tired of only playing Dominion, because it's the only approximation of what I want from For Honor. And other modes don't thrill me, while even Dominion has so much space for improvements, but the devs don't care!

I didn't ever hear anybody asking for a CTF. But I heard tons of people asking for a Siege Mode and Huge Battles in general.
UBI WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?
I know it's cheaper to throw out that, then a complicated Siege Mode ^^
Eventhough it would drag many players to the game!

Stop relying on the greatness of "the art of battle" ... it's fun indeed, but this can't be the whole game. It's boring meanwhile only to beat the **** out of other players in "thrilling" duels and little conflicts in general. It's the same all time! And it's not like the heroes have huge movesets at all!
Do you really think this will keep players for ever at FH? ^^

For Honor did become way more of brawler, then a battlefield simulator!

Some of that would be difficult to do without increasing the team size which itself is going to be next to impossible for most until dedicated servers are in, and that isn't even accounting for the level of detail that would require,something they have toned down in 4v4 modes currently in order to make the game more stable. Remember they said that for their long term goals they need those dedicated servers so hey maybe they intend to do bigger and better when they have the stability for it.

As it is they are making a lot of the right moves, they got the tournament feature in which people have wanted for a long time, they have listened to people who want things like a better training system and are working on that, they are working on servers and with this they are showing that they do not consider the game as it stands to be the finished product. Plus, hey, the game mode hasn't even dropped yet, maybe try it first?

Tundra 793
09-13-2017, 10:42 PM
Honestly guys, what the game needs right now, is not a large scale siege mode.

The connection issues can screw up even something as small as 2v2 games, imagine the horrors For Honor's crap P2P system would inflict upon us in a large, complex 4v4+ game mode, right now.
On top of that, I assume a siege mode would include newer, more complex game mechanics as well, compared to a basic CTF mode. It's not something the devs can just pull out of their ***, no matter how bad they want to.

Try to put this into perspective;

With the current meta, and connection problems, do you really want to tempt fate and force the developer to go bigger with the modes?
You're getting free stuff. You paid 60 bucks/euros/whatever for 5 game modes, and now, without paying extra, you get a whole new one!
No one is forcing you to play this, or any other single mode. But if you want to, at least you're getting more variety, again, for free.

Or at least, wait until you actually see it played. A couple of you guys seem to think it's just a basic, run of the mill, uncreative CTF mode. It's not.
You're trying to capture, or defend 3 points. Those 3 points don't just award points, they can buff your team in strategic manners. That's not how most CTF modes work, there's a bit more depth here, and hopefully it'll make the whole mode feel dynamic, different and encourage more tactical thinking.

TSCDescon
09-13-2017, 10:43 PM
Lol its basically CTF.

Going to see a lot of Shinobi/Peacekeepers.

Tundra 793
09-13-2017, 10:48 PM
Lol its basically CTF.

Alright this cannot be the only criticism ya'll can come up with.

Dominion is basically Domination.
Skirmish is basically Death Match.
Duel is basically Mortal Kombat 3D.
Elimination is literally Elimination.

Look into the finer nuances people, enjoy the subtle differences and variety.

UbiNoty
09-13-2017, 10:52 PM
We know a siege mode is a really popular item on the community wishlist, and hopefully we can make it happen in the future - I think DS will go a long way towards making that a possibility.
But give the new Tribute mode a try first? I personally always love a good CTF.

TSCDescon
09-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Alright this cannot be the only criticism ya'll can come up with.

Dominion is basically Domination.
Skirmish is basically Death Match.
Duel is basically Mortal Kombat 3D.
Elimination is literally Elimination.

Look into the finer nuances people, enjoy the subtle differences and variety.

Lol, whatever you say man. It still a CTF to many people. I don't mind playing this mode.

The_B0G_
09-13-2017, 11:07 PM
Meh, was really hoping it wouldn't be CTF. Hopefully its not a shinobi with 3 warlord/conquerers standing around him.

TSCDescon
09-13-2017, 11:07 PM
We know a siege mode is a really popular item on the community wishlist, and hopefully we can make it happen in the future - I think DS will go a long way towards making that a possibility.

A mode which renders a few of the heavy heroes useless. *cough* Shugoki, good luck chasing the flag carrier, lol.

CandleInTheDark
09-13-2017, 11:12 PM
A mode which renders a few of the heavy heroes useless. *cough* Shugoki, good luck chasing the flag carrier, lol.

Which is why you don't chase the faster character but you find out the routes he needs to go and plant your slow butt and tree there until your faster guys give you something to defend at your own shrine.Map knowledge is going to be key on this, especially if they use some of the more cluttered maps like viking village. I have played the speedy flag runner before,you bet your backside I could outrun anyone, but being unable to attack, if I met a roadblock I was relying on luck to dodge or on my team to clear the way, especially since it seems that heroes cannot attack while they have the flag going by the trailer.

The_B0G_
09-13-2017, 11:16 PM
Which is why you don't chase the faster character but you find out the routes he needs to go and plant your slow butt and tree there until your faster guys give you something to defend at your own shrine.Map knowledge is going to be key on this, especially if they use some of the more cluttered maps like viking village. I have played the speedy flag runner before,you bet your backside I could outrun anyone, but being unable to attack, if I met a roadblock I was relying on luck to dodge or on my team to clear the way, especially since it seems that heroes cannot attack while they have the flag going by the trailer.

Its so easy to dodge one person though, I think this mode might be really lame, can't see it being a Dominion contender personally.
If they give the flag carrier a set speed for all heroes it might not be bad.

CandleInTheDark
09-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Its so easy to dodge one person though, I think this mode might be really lame, can't see it being a Dominion contender personally.
If they give the flag carrier a set speed for all heroes it might not be bad.

Yeah that is the slight concern I have (in my example it was a shooter so that mitigated my speed a little if someone knew how to track my Blink jumps) and is why I think it needs to be on their wasteland maps (the ones not in dominion because they couldn't support zones and soldier points) as opposed to their arena style maps, gives you a chance to dodge but you better get it right first time. These maps tend to be more cluttered, the Viking Village would be perfect for this as they specifically designed it to make people need to take different routes with the map layout. I suspect it will be these maps from the trailer,I recognised the cathedral and either the original village or the viking village map.

The_B0G_
09-13-2017, 11:48 PM
Yeah that is the slight concern I have (in my example it was a shooter so that mitigated my speed a little if someone knew how to track my Blink jumps) and is why I think it needs to be on their wasteland maps (the ones not in dominion because they couldn't support zones and soldier points) as opposed to their arena style maps, gives you a chance to dodge but you better get it right first time. These maps tend to be more cluttered, the Viking Village would be perfect for this as they specifically designed it to make people need to take different routes with the map layout. I suspect it will be these maps from the trailer,I recognised the cathedral and either the original village or the viking village map.

I watched it the first time without sound because I was at work. Just watched it again and I think heavy classes will have a part in the mode and it's defending the home base, which is basically what they are designed for.

This mode might not be too bad after hearing what was actually said in the video. I thought it was one flag CTF but its a little more complex.

I don't think it's "much more than anyone asked for" like the guy in the video I watched said but it's a little more interesting than basic CTF.

Illyrian_King
09-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Some of that would be difficult to do without increasing the team size which itself is going to be next to impossible for most until dedicated servers are in, and that isn't even accounting for the level of detail that would require,something they have toned down in 4v4 modes currently in order to make the game more stable. Remember they said that for their long term goals they need those dedicated servers so hey maybe they intend to do bigger and better when they have the stability for it.

As it is they are making a lot of the right moves, they got the tournament feature in which people have wanted for a long time, they have listened to people who want things like a better training system and are working on that, they are working on servers and with this they are showing that they do not consider the game as it stands to be the finished product. Plus, hey, the game mode hasn't even dropped yet, maybe try it first?

The new mode isn't that complex or does contain new maps or anything like that, so I would have to try it to recognize, that it's bad in comparison to what I hoped 9 months for!
But I thought the same thing about Dedicated Servers and maybe bigger stuff after releasing that ...

Honestly guys, what the game needs right now, is not a large scale siege mode.

The connection issues can screw up even something as small as 2v2 games, imagine the horrors For Honor's crap P2P system would inflict upon us in a large, complex 4v4+ game mode, right now.
On top of that, I assume a siege mode would include newer, more complex game mechanics as well, compared to a basic CTF mode. It's not something the devs can just pull out of their ***, no matter how bad they want to.

I personally didn't have any connection problems at all ... to me it's just the pure lack of great and diversive content.
Also try to put in mind, that the devs had 9 MONTHS to bring out a new game mode, AND THIS IS DISAPPOINTING!!!
I wouldn't have made a single complaint, if this came out for Season 2 or even Season 3 somehow ... but Season 4 is just disappointing!
It's not like 9 months wasn't enough time to make something complex.

Thanks for being patient after I all this shouting and flaming. Huge Respect!

UbiNoty
09-14-2017, 12:00 AM

It's not just about chasing though. I'm not 100% clear on the mechanics yet myself, but it does appear that there is a period of defense after the shrines have been claimed. So I definitely think that Shugoki and heavies can have their moment in the spotlight.

Tundra 793
09-14-2017, 12:08 AM
I personally didn't have any connection problems at all ... to me it's just the pure lack of great and diversive content.
Also try to put in mind, that the devs had 9 MONTHS to bring out a new game mode, AND THIS IS DISAPPOINTING!!!
I wouldn't have made a single complaint, if this came out for Season 2 or even Season 3 somehow ... but Season 4 is just disappointing!
It's not like 9 months wasn't enough time to make something complex.

You're saying you "didn't" have connection problems, past tense. Does that mean that you do now? If so, you're in the same boat as us.
But I find it a bit unlikely that during these 9 months, you have not experienced what could be described as at best, irregular connection problems, compared at least to other AAA titles.

The devs may have had 9 months to develop a new game mode, but you're assuming that a whole team was assigned this particular task during the last 9 months. If you can't prove that, we have no reason to assume they spend 9 months on it.
I could reason that it was a small team, during maybe the last few months, who developed this game mode.

A larger, more complex game mode would require more resources. Resources that the developers more than likely have devoted to connection fixes, dedicated server migration, and game balance.

Illyrian_King
09-14-2017, 12:58 AM
You're saying you "didn't" have connection problems, past tense. Does that mean that you do now? If so, you're in the same boat as us.
But I find it a bit unlikely that during these 9 months, you have not experienced what could be described as at best, irregular connection problems, compared at least to other AAA titles.

The devs may have had 9 months to develop a new game mode, but you're assuming that a whole team was assigned this particular task during the last 9 months. If you can't prove that, we have no reason to assume they spend 9 months on it.
I could reason that it was a small team, during maybe the last few months, who developed this game mode.

A larger, more complex game mode would require more resources. Resources that the developers more than likely have devoted to connection fixes, dedicated server migration, and game balance.

Nope, fluid AF :cool:
No connection probelms at all!

I know, that not the whole team worked on a new game mode, but there is a team dedicated to that.
9 Months for that is highly questionable!

Tundra 793
09-14-2017, 01:10 AM
Nope, fluid AF :cool:
No connection probelms at all!

Well, clearly you're sacrificing something to the Old Gods for a divine internet connection.

I know, that not the whole team worked on a new game mode, but there is a team dedicated to that.
9 Months for that is highly questionable!

I agree, there probably is a team dedicated to it, but the size is probably a lot smaller than either you, or I think. And we have no idea how long they had to work on the new mode. I don't believe this team has been at it for 9 months, but if they have; It's probably a really small team, or the task was just stupidly complicated.

CandleInTheDark
09-14-2017, 01:19 AM
Well, clearly you're sacrificing something to the Old Gods for a divine internet connection.

There is probably a rubber chicken involved somewhere - https://notalwaysright.com/rubber-chicken-cross-road/92964/

Tundra 793
09-14-2017, 01:21 AM
There is probably a rubber chicken involved somewhere - https://notalwaysright.com/rubber-chicken-cross-road/92964/

I literally read that yesterday. Clearly dark things are afoot.

SwellChemosabe
09-14-2017, 07:55 AM
Well some of ya'll might not like it but i'm always down for a good CTF match in any game I play. this'll be a nice little twist compared to a first person shooter version :)

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of players in this game mode the first few weeks if not longer. After 2 seasons and the first two rounds of this season of having the exact same game modes it'll be refreshing to have something different in the playlist.

matt89connor
09-14-2017, 08:41 AM
will be a new pts to test that, maybe we see the changes of meta change finally....

CandleInTheDark
09-14-2017, 07:28 PM
Tribute is a 4v4 objective mode. They wanted a mode that was quick, had a lot of momentum shift and tactical choices, also something where a team could be losing really badly and could get a clutch win in the last second. They say that this is not a straight capture the flag, you have to get the tributes back, sure, but you also have to keep them. They originally did pitch it as capture the flag but while it looked like that it did not play like that, the people testing it did not identify it as capture the flag. The other thing to bear in mind is the buffs, there is a lot of tactical thought in it, which boost do I give my team, which of theirs do I steal?

The offerings spawn after thirty seconds, when a character is carrying a flag, they have a 28% speed debuff, a shugoki will catch a shinobi flag carrier.

The blessings.

Guardian's blessing gives 25 hp shield that regens completely every 25 seconds, it increases the steal time for the other team when it comes to your tributes.

Vindicator's blessing gives 25% damage boost, it decreases steal time (cancels out guardian's debuff on it) it lowers the speed debuff for carrying a tribute to 10%

Oracle's blessing shows outlines of the rest of the characters and puts them on the minimap, Valkyries who use hunter's horn will be familiar with this.

Once you have all three, the opposition team has 45 seconds to steal an offering.

Each offering you have will increase your respawn time six seconds up from the base ten seconds, this is to balance the buffs.

An attack,guardbreak or block will drop a tribute, a parry will be able to keep it. Super armour (shugoki). will stop the character dropping a tribute.

You will be able to dodge or roll through traps. They are looking into defusing traps in all game modes though they have to figure out something they like.

You will be able to play AI, apparently the bots are good at this.

Friendly fire will cause a flag drop.

Stealth feats will override the awareness buff. This is not 100% polished in the PTS build.

Reward for a tribute mode game is close to elimination.

There is no revive cap, with the extra time for respawn, revives and executions will be important.

Time out with no clear winner will go into overtime, next offering or steal sets off win confirm time.

You cannot manually drop an offering or remove it from your own shrine.

Not going to be single pick, at least in the regular mode. In a ranked or tournament mode they would think of that, this is their stance as a whole.

In the scoreboard there are two new columns, claims (tributes and steals) and blocks (interrupts)

No minions on the map.

If an offering carrier is ledged, the tribute stays closest to where they fell.

In public test the only maps will be the smaller maps, they will have to look at how they can manage the larger maps.

A4einboy
09-14-2017, 07:39 PM
a nice battle royal would have been more creative and shown us that the devs are serious about a fun game mode instead you guys came up with capture the feat . sorry but dosent look like they spent more than a couple of hours to come up with this game mode. why dont you guys take some advise on game modes only from people who actuly play the game instead of people that work for the game . honestly anyone who has been playing for honor since day 1 tell the truth on how long you think it took them to come up with tribute (capture the feat)

UbiNoty
09-14-2017, 11:27 PM
What would a battle royale entail? a 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 ffa on a randomly chosen map? on an island surrounded by lava? geysers? ledges that have no bottom? Just asking out of curiosity.

As for tribute, it's more than just a simple CTF, and determining how to implement the shrine blessings, debuffs, buffs and all those additional mechanics in a balanced way actually takes a long time. I mean, we didn't pull a 28% speed buff out of our *thin-air*. Granted, it might not be the actual best-value, but we were only able to make this best-guess estimation after analyzing past data.

Either way, I hope you all give it a chance - it'll be chaotic and fast-paced, and you might get your butt kicked badly. But it's also looking like it'll be a heckuva good time.