PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion For a Possible Highlander Buff That Would't Break the Game

Herro987
09-06-2017, 12:53 AM
I've been mailing highlander for the better part of the past 2 weeks, and his light attacks in offensive stance may be fast, but their stamina usage is about the same as the heavy, and they only do 10 bas damage.
So I was thinking, maybe make it so his offensive lights drain stamina? Because as of right now his only moves that drain stamina are his kick and grab, so I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts.

UbiJurassic
09-06-2017, 01:33 AM
Sounds like an interesting suggestion. Some players consider Highlander to be on the weaker side, so what do players think of this kind of change?

Wolf-Heathen
09-06-2017, 02:06 AM
Seriously, why are you asking us to do Ubisoft's job for you? You have developers whose job it is to do these balance adjustments. They get paid to do it. This just speaks to the issue of Ubisoft releasing poorly thought out, rushed content, like the tournament mode. Releasing content on the live servers and then slapping "beta" on it is nothing more then a cop out for unfinished content.

It's not our job to play-test content on the live servers. That's what PTRs and your internal team are for. Stop cutting corners in development and then relying on players to quality control your content! If you are really dedicated to FH and committed to the long term like you claim, hire more staff and stop taking advantage of your player-base!

Rikuto01.tv
09-06-2017, 02:16 AM
Players always do the balancing in actuality. Been like that since arcade loc-tests in the 90's for street fighter 2. And no, it's not your job to do it. If you don't want to, feel free to stand aside. There are plenty who will.

I agree that the highlander burns his stamina too quickly on the lights, but I'm not really sure if the solution is reducing the stamina cost on them, or buffing his stamina pool across the board. He burns his stamina too quickly on everything, really.

UbiJurassic
09-06-2017, 03:03 AM
Seriously, why are you asking us to do Ubisoft's job for you? You have developers whose job it is to do these balance adjustments. They get paid to do it. This just speaks to the issue of Ubisoft releasing poorly thought out, rushed content, like the tournament mode. Releasing content on the live servers and then slapping "beta" on it is nothing more then a cop out for unfinished content.

It's not our job to play-test content on the live servers. That's what PTRs and your internal team are for. Stop cutting corners in development and then relying on players to quality control your content! If you are really dedicated to FH and committed to the long term like you claim, hire more staff and stop taking advantage of your player-base!

We do have internal testing and a fight team dedicated to balance changes. However, reading feedback from players and listening to their suggestions helps us to hone in on potential problems we need to focus on and identify areas of improvement so we can provide a better experience for everyone. If our teams only made changes based off of data, there would be a lot of unhappy people.

Herro987
09-06-2017, 03:04 AM
True he does spend him stamina super fast, but I feel like that's solely on duels. SO maybe he's not very strong there, but I haven't had any issue with him after gear stats and whatnot in dominion, skirmish or elimination. My suggestion in this post was just to give him a minimal buff where he would do some stamina damage on his offensive lights to make them a little bit more viable than just some chipping damage.

The_B0G_
09-06-2017, 04:23 AM
His lights are too slow, light spammers wreck most highlanders on console. I hardly ever even see highlanders on console anymore.

kweassa1
09-06-2017, 06:00 AM
Players always do the balancing in actuality. Been like that since arcade loc-tests in the 90's for street fighter 2. And no, it's not your job to do it. If you don't want to, feel free to stand aside. There are plenty who will.

I agree that the highlander burns his stamina too quickly on the lights, but I'm not really sure if the solution is reducing the stamina cost on them, or buffing his stamina pool across the board. He burns his stamina too quickly on everything, really.

Well said, man.

Herbstlicht
09-06-2017, 06:05 AM
Highlander has a completely different problem, that is, no option to go into the offensive against fast classes despite a parry.
His feint is incredible slow and no option either.
To fix him, you could give him a way faster feint. You could make him able to feint his lights from defensive stance (might be rather strong though).
You might give him better recovery from some attacks. You could increase super armor on heavys by 100ms.

Letting his offensive lights drain opponent stamina .. na. I think this isn't the point. A disorient might be nice if you keep the stamina cost. A decrease in stamina cost without any effects could work too.
Oh and something important: don' make exiting offensive stance cost stamina. Even entering it shouldn't cost stamina in my opinion because it has absolutely no defensive value besides possibly using the offensive lights that get you out of stam though after only slightly above one and a half seconds. Does not only sound bad, it is.

Herro987
09-06-2017, 07:11 AM
His lights are too slow, light spammers wreck most highlanders on console. I hardly ever even see highlanders on console anymore.

Ya I feel ya, I feel like I'm part of a dying breed on console. :(

kweassa1
09-06-2017, 08:06 AM
One of two options:

(1) keep the stamina usage (25% = 4 uses @ default item setting), increase damage to 15~18, add stun-daze effect

(2) keep the low damage (10), no additional effects, lower the stamina usage by half (12.5% = 8 uses @ default item setting)

...any of the two I'd love.

What I would NOT condone...

* slowing the activation speed down as a trade for whatever amount of buffs...

No thanks. You can increase the damage to 30 for all I care and still no, the speed is what makes OF lights work.

Jab_Jab_Wins
09-06-2017, 08:31 AM
He is so slow when in def stance, but then he has the celtic course into side heavy which is fast af. It doesn't make any sense

Andryspex
09-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Some players consider Highlander to be on the weaker side, so [...]

If this is your (Ubisofts) balancing strategy the game is doomed. Assemble meta data of all matches, check the results and balance the characters accordingly. It could even be automatized with some simple machine learning algorithms. It's not a questions of feelings and preference for crying out loud...

PDXGorechild
09-06-2017, 12:33 PM
He seems fairly well balanced to me. Decent health pool, hits hard, has a couple openers. He also has that move that seems to perform an automatic top heavy feint spinning into a very difficult to block side heavy that takes off 1/3 of my health as a Berserker. I've had players use this move exclusively in tournaments to beat me, it's nasty!

The_B0G_
09-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Ya I feel ya, I feel like I'm part of a dying breed on console. :(

I got to rep 5 with him, couldn't do well against any decent assassin, especially gladiators. So I went back to kensei, how sad is that lol I think highlander is the weakest character right now, unless you're ganking.