PDA

View Full Version : Help me

F0_Dark_P
03-02-2004, 03:11 PM
i am looking around for a nice joystick and i cant find so many around just the

1. Thrustmaster Force Feedback Joystick - Top Gun Afterburner

2. Thrustmaster Flygjoystick med Throttle - HOTAS Cougar

3. X45 Flight Control System

so wich one is the best? the hotas, certainly but i am just a supermarket employee i cant make gold:) so i looked on the Afterburner but it looks tame with so limited buttons, and i never liked the stick on the saitek, the throttle i think is however damn sweet, so i dont now wich one to go for? can some one give me a hint

pay attention to your thoughts, because they will become your words, pay attention to your words, because they will become your deeds, pay attention to your deeds, because they will become your habits, pay attention to your habits, because they will become your character, pay attention to your character, because it will become your destiny.

talmud

F0_Dark_P
03-02-2004, 03:11 PM
i am looking around for a nice joystick and i cant find so many around just the

1. Thrustmaster Force Feedback Joystick - Top Gun Afterburner

2. Thrustmaster Flygjoystick med Throttle - HOTAS Cougar

3. X45 Flight Control System

so wich one is the best? the hotas, certainly but i am just a supermarket employee i cant make gold:) so i looked on the Afterburner but it looks tame with so limited buttons, and i never liked the stick on the saitek, the throttle i think is however damn sweet, so i dont now wich one to go for? can some one give me a hint

pay attention to your thoughts, because they will become your words, pay attention to your words, because they will become your deeds, pay attention to your deeds, because they will become your habits, pay attention to your habits, because they will become your character, pay attention to your character, because it will become your destiny.

talmud

Chuck_Older
03-02-2004, 03:17 PM
I'd suggest getting what you can afford now, and saving for what you want later. Also maybe you could pick up a used or refurbished joystick or HOTAS. Seems like a crapshoot to me, but it's an option.

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

Zen--
03-02-2004, 03:22 PM
I've had all three. (Edit: I had the Thrustmaster FoxPro2 stick, not FFB)

Don't like the Saitek, never thought it was a good stick. Looks cheesy, plastic is cheap, don't like the feel of the stick motion and IIRc no twist rudder in the stick. Lots and I mean lots of others really like the X45 so my opinion is only my own.

Love the Cougar Hotas but it's absolutely not worth 300 bucks or whatever it's going for now. I still have mine, just need to get one of the pots fixed up. The main thing holding me back is relearning my switchology and using rudder pedals again, I've gotten so used to my current stick I just don't feel like taking all the time to set the Cougar up again. The Cougar is a great stick but extremely tight springs will literally wear out your wrist for a few weeks til you get used to it. I found gunnery very hard with the stick as well and ultimately that may be the reason I don't go back to it. I shoot better with cheaper sticks. There is no comparison to it for fun though, it simply rocks in that department.

The TopGun stick I used to have cost me 30 bucks US and I used the heck out of it before it broke. For me, it was the most effective stick I have ever owned and is still my favorite, though they don't seem to be in stores anymore. I didn't have the throttle section of it because IIRc they sold seperately back then and I think it only had 3 buttons on it. The X45 is much better throttle wise having more buttons and the Cougar is by far the best having so many you really don't know what to do with them all, as well as rotories that can be used as sliders.

All things considered I'd go with the Thrustmaster myself, but I think most people will probably steer you to the X45. Though I didn't like it, as I said many others do and thats worth something imho.

-Zen-

F0_Dark_P
03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
thanx zen, i think i will look at the afterburner a litle bit closer:P

talmud

Fillmore
03-02-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm also a big fan of the Thrustmaster (top gun afterburner, and now afterburner II, hotas, no FFB). After my first one finally bit the dust (3 years i think it lasted) I found they were not really available from thrustmaster anymore, but I did some searches and found a store that had what i've got now.

Not a lot of buttons, and no extra sliders, but for the price I think it's great. I like the rudder control rocker on the throttle (also twist stick, use whichever you prefer).