PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick history lesson: What's the connection between Yaks and Normandie Neiman

noshens
01-25-2004, 12:43 PM
I've noticed that when "default" skin is chosen and I fly as France, some yaks change their skin completely, what's the story behind it? Did French use Soviet Yaks as landlease or somethng?

noshens
01-25-2004, 12:43 PM
I've noticed that when "default" skin is chosen and I fly as France, some yaks change their skin completely, what's the story behind it? Did French use Soviet Yaks as landlease or somethng?

Chuck_Older
01-25-2004, 01:05 PM
As strange as it sounds, if I recall correctly, the pilots were given their choice of any Allied aircraft, and they chose the Yak. Not all French pilots had this choice of course, this was a very unique situation. Not sure where I read that, and I'm sure someone can confirm, but Normandie Neiman had their choice.

do I hear the echoes of the days of '39? ~Clash

noshens
01-25-2004, 05:22 PM
I read this too in object viewer, but how did frenchmen knew that Yaks were good or they existed? They got to fly one, but when and where?

Platypus_1.JaVA
01-25-2004, 05:26 PM
That's one special piece of history. I know the basic point also but, I bump this thread because I wanna know the full story on the Normandie-Niemen regiment

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge,
ye shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be measured
to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php

Chuck_Older
01-25-2004, 05:29 PM
That was in object viewer?

Don't forget that Allied pilots were in the USSR all the time. Some missions included stopping in the USSR. One of the China-Burma-India theatre aces from the USAAC was a conversion instructor in the Soviet Union, teaching Soviet pilots how to fly P-40s. It isn't too hard to imagine that a French pilot was in the USSR and was impressed by the Yak. Also isn't too hard to imagine that the Brits or the US had their hands on one, although I haven't heard any stories to that effect. I would suppose that the group of French pilots was very small to begin with, and much like the Polish Squadrons of the RAF, they flew and fought with pilots who weren't their countrymen, and naturally the pilots would talk about airplanes. I wonder what a search on French pilots flying for the allies would turn up...

do I hear the echoes of the days of '39? ~Clash

Tempestate
01-25-2004, 05:48 PM

December Interview in London of General de Gaulle and colonel Luguet.

February 19 The General Valin, Police chief with the Air of Free France, gives to the Soviet military mission to Great Britain a note proposing the sending in the USSR of a fighter squadron.
February at July Negotiations between the Soviet government and Free France concerning this flotilla sending.
August 17 Departure of London of the first 12 volunteers.
September 1 In Syria, General de Gaulle gives to the commander Pouliquen his letter of command of the Group of hunting n‚? 3 "Normandy". The same day, the Mirlesse captain leaves for Moscow by carrying the list the first 62 pilots and voluntary mechanics.
September 19 Arrival in Lagos (Nigeria) of the detachment from England on board the transport of troops "Highland Princess".
September 27 Departure of Lagos for Cairo of this detachment, on board Junkers 52 of Belgian company S.A.B.E.N.A.
October 7 The volunteers from England and those of the Middle East are found in Rayak (Lebanon).
September-October Preparations starting and makes an attempt Soviet visas on Rayak.
November 12 Displacement of Rayak in Baghdad (Iraq) in 3 American Dakotas.
November 15-16 Displacement of Baghdad with Bassorah (Iraq) by railway.
November 17 Displacement of Bassorah with Ahwaz (Iran) in the trucks.
November 17-18 Displacement of Ahwaz in Teheran by railway.
November 28 Departure of Teheran in 3 Soviet Dakotas. Arrival in the USSR in Bakou.
November 29 Arrival of the first detachment with Ivanovo.
December-January Drive with Ivanovo on Plane Yak 7.

Tempestate
01-25-2004, 05:49 PM
from http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.mediares.fr/niemen/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DNormandie%2BNiemen%2B%26hl%3Den%26lr% 3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8

January 19 Arrival with Ivanovo of first Yak 1 of "Normandy".
February 22 The commander Pouliquen "having started", the group is transferred in Great Britain. The commander Tulasne takes the command.
March 22 Departure for the face and arrival with Polotniani-Zavod (20 km northern of Kaluga).
April 5 First victory. Focke-Wulf 190 is cut down by Preziosi and Durand.
April 13 The first three losses: Derville, Poznanski, Bizien. (It is very probable that Derville, captive fact, were shot by the Germans.)
April 16 Displacement of Polotniani-Zavod with Mozalsk.
May The marshal Keitel, head of the German supreme staff, sign an order stipulating that very pilot of "Normandy" makes captive must be shot.
May 20 Displacement of Mozalsk with Kozielsk.
June 2 Displacement of Kozielsk with Khatiunki.
June 9 Arrival with the face of the commander Pouyade and 6 pilots of reinforcement.
July 10 Beginning of the battle of Orel.
July 17 The commander Tulasne is reported missing in aerial combat. The commander Pouyade takes the command.
August 3 The Levandovitch General gives the first Soviet decorations to the pilots of "Normandy" in Khatiunki.
August 4 Departure of the French mechanics for the Middle East.
from August 24 at November 6 Battle of Ielnia. During this period, the group moves successively in Gorodietchnia, Spass-Demiansk, Michkovo, Barsouki, Filatki, Sloboda.
October 11 After having gained more than 50 approved victories, the group "Normandy" is made Compagnon of the Release by General de Gaulle.
November 6 The group is folded up for the winter with Toula with the 6 surviving pilots who remain to him. It adds up 72 victories.

Tempestate
01-25-2004, 05:49 PM

January 7 15 pilots of reinforcement arrive from North Africa and begin their drive with Toula.
February 7 The group becomes regiment "Normandy" with 3 escadrilles and continues its drive.
April 28 Training of the 4th flotilla.
May 26 Beginning of the second countryside. Displacement of Toula with Doubrovka.
June 5 Died of Lef√¬®vre.
June 23 Beginning of the offensive of White Russia.
July 15 Displacement of Doubrovka with Mikountani (Lithuania). Died of Maurice de Seynes.
July 29 Displacement of Mikountani with Alitous (on Niemen).
July 31 The Stalin marshal signs a "Ptikaz" decreeing with the regiment the title of "Niemen" for the share taken in the battle for the crossing of this river.
August 25 With Alitous, "Marseillaise" and banquet to celebrate the release of Paris.
September-22 18 October Successive displacements with Antonovo, Sredniki, Antonovo, and Didvije.
October 16 Beginning of the offensive of Prussia. The regiment cuts down 29 enemy planes in the day without undergoing losses.
November 4 The first French pilot is posed freely on the German ground with Gross-Kalveitchen (Prussia-Eastern).
November 21 The regiment moves in Gross-Kalveitchen.
December 9 General de Gaulle decorates the flag and the pilots with the embassy with France in Moscow.
December 12 Beginning of the third countryside of "Normandy-Niemen". The commander Pouyade returns in permission to France. The commander Delfino takes the command.
December 19 The old ones leave Moscow to return in permission to France.

Tempestate
01-25-2004, 05:50 PM
January 22 The old ones arrive at Villacoublay.
January-8 14 May The regiment moves successively in Dopenen, Gross-Skaisgiren, Labiau, Powunden, Wittenberg, Friedland, Bladiau, Eylau, Bladiau, Heiligenbeil.
May 9 Celebrates of the Victoire with Heilengenbeil (Prussia-Eastern).
June 1 The Stalin marshal offers to France the 40 Yak 3 of the regiment.
June 20 The regiment arrives at Le Bourget after stopovers to Elbing, Prague, Sttutgart and Saint-Dizier. It adds up 273 approved air victories.

VW-IceFire
01-25-2004, 09:22 PM
So they fought on the Eastern Front as well as in the Med? Is that correct? Anything on the Western Front with Soviet Yaks? That'd be interesting!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

Mike_Green
01-26-2004, 12:27 PM
*reaches for 'Soviet Aces of World War 2'* -

OK;

1942: Free French offer to send support to USSR - they send the fighter 'Groupe CG Normandie', later expanded to 'Normandie Niemen Groupe'.

First kills, with the Yak 1, April 1943.
August 1943 - French groundcrew replaced with Soviet groundcrew.
End of 1943 - becomes a full four squadron Groupe with four squadrons of Yak 9s.
July 1944 - First delivery of Yak 3s
August 1944 - receive the honorary title 'Niemen' from Stalin, after covering troops crossing the Niemen.

Final campaign, January to May 1945 - Flying sorties over East Prussia and the German Baltic post.
War ends - The groupe is told that they will be allowed to keep their Yaks in recognition of their contribution to winning the GP war.

21st June 1945 - Normandie Niemen beat up the Champs Elysees in their Yaks.

95 pilots flew with the Normandie Niemen regiment; 42 were missing or killed.

869 combats in total; 273 aerial victories claimed.

Previously known round these parts as mikeyg007

noshens
01-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks all, it was quite interesting... now i need to find more Normandie Neiman skins for Yaks http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Breeze147
03-05-2004, 02:55 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gifJeez, how do you take off in this thing? It wants to do a 90 degree right turn. It's hell on wheels once you get airborne, though.