PDA

View Full Version : Why so few people play elimination and skirmish?

WhiiiteP0wer
08-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Hi all,

Tell me what is your opinion please. I don`t get it. Honestly i don`t like dominion too much but i`m fan of elimination. Skirmish is very chaotic but it`s fun though!

andyypandyyy
08-25-2017, 02:21 PM
I personally prefer dominion just for the capturing points but i also play elim/skirmish/1v1's/2v2's etc i guess its just personal preference but skirmish is great fun the chaoticness of that sometimes is just epic

T_Sesh
08-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Dominion is better for me because the objective zones provide a focus and goal beyond just killing the enemy team. It requires more strategy than the other modes typically allow for. Beyond that, I don't like the silly powerups that are around the map in the other modes, and I like being able to respawn when I die. Skirmish is just a big chaotic gank fest.

BigSpence13
08-25-2017, 05:46 PM
I like Dominion the best but play all. Skirmish can be a lot of fun also and is good for grinding XP.

Can we think of any new / different game formats that could be added to the current gameplay options?

Would love to hear some ideas.

D

DoctorMcBatman
08-25-2017, 05:55 PM
I like Dominion the best but play all. Skirmish can be a lot of fun also and is good for grinding XP.

Can we think of any new / different game formats that could be added to the current gameplay options?

D

A Battlefield Rush-style mode would be cool.

GeneraISoIo
08-25-2017, 06:07 PM
I was wondering the same thing. My group usually only plays 4v4 modes and out of those modes, you can tell that Elimination and Skirmish have a much lower population. Like Solid_Orochi said, in Dominion, the objectives allow of focus points, and I also agree that Dominion provides more overall things to do. We usually play Elimination to warm up, and Skirmish to take a break from Dominion, but Skirmish does get boring fast when all you do is just kill the enemy team. I would like to see other modes similar to Dominion in the future. Ones that allow for focused points for better group fights, while also completing tasks that allow for a mode that takes more brain than brawn.

CandleInTheDark
08-25-2017, 06:24 PM
if I had to guess, elimination, like brawl, has a standoff between the people who want to play it as a no holds barred team game and those who expect x 1v1s (there are also people who sneak up behind enemies to ledge them so they and their partner can 2v1 them the whole round, that is pretty scuzzy as well but the other two groups are the bigger ones), the honour lot certainly aren't going to skirmish, that is where the more belligerent of that lot tell people that don't play like them to go (again, wrong on both sides, I will disclaim here that I have a definite bias and am more likely to see bad behaviour on one side because it is what annoys me more) so that is less of a player pool there right away, all in all dominion tends to be less toxic when the extremists on both sides of the argument get into it.

Helnekromancer
08-25-2017, 06:48 PM

D

Free-For-All and Last Man Standing.

I think Skirmish and Elimination are less popular than Dominion because Skimish and Elimination is a gank fest, people avoid fights and run away. In Domnion, fighting doesn't determine if you win or lose so some players can work around that and play objectively. While the other 2 game modes depends on who ganked ard and got Revenge the most. Not to mention you get more exp in Dominion than any other game mode.

Helnekromancer
08-25-2017, 06:50 PM

D

I think Skirmish and Elimination are less popular than Dominion because Skimish and Elimination is a gank fest, people avoid fights and run away. In Domnion, fighting doesn't determine if you win or lose so some players can work around that and play objectively. While the other 2 game modes depends on who ganked harder to get their catapults and who got Revenge the most. Not to mention you get more exp in Dominion than any other game mode.

DoctorMcBatman
08-25-2017, 07:20 PM

I like the free-for-all idea. +1

Can call it Battle Royale

Trbevis
08-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Skirmish is awful, and always has been, its everyone goes in to fight then whoever dies first loses the game for his team as they roam about as a 4 smashing you as you spawn seperately, and elimination uaed to be good, but its now full of cowards that choose assassins and run away instantly and gank a teamate and in turn gank you because they are scared of facing you alone. Those are the reasons why i hate them anyway haha, i actually enjoyed the event elimination on the new maps, as everyone actually wanted to fight to learn new heroes, but when that went i tried normal elimination and they just started running away again. No thanks.

CandleInTheDark
08-25-2017, 07:39 PM
Skirmish is awful, and always has been, its everyone goes in to fight then whoever dies first loses the game for his team as they roam about as a 4 smashing you as you spawn seperately, and elimination uaed to be good, but its now full of cowards that choose assassins and run away instantly and gank a teamate and in turn gank you because they are scared of facing you alone. Those are the reasons why i hate them anyway haha, i actually enjoyed the event elimination on the new maps, as everyone actually wanted to fight to learn new heroes, but when that went i tried normal elimination and they just started running away again. No thanks.

You pretty much just showed my point over elimination exactly, you know. Not going to get into arguments over one way or the other because the devs have said either play style is valid and the reps have said that on here many times but you have just flat out said that anyone not treating elimination as 1v1 is doing it wrong.

BigSpence13
08-25-2017, 08:13 PM
What about an Elimination type 4v4 Version where at the start of the match, the 4 x 1v1s are guaranteed by a closed (Octagon Style) area that doesn't 'unlock' and you cant escape from until someone dies. Once someone dies it opens up the Map and you can go meet other teammates and opponents to battle it out as an 'open' battle 2v2 or 3v1 of there isn't a 4-0 sweep.

Trbevis
08-25-2017, 08:55 PM
Candle are you saying it shouldnt be? Haha each person spawns in a position of ONE VERSUS ONE. What you do after that fight is whatever you want. Added incentive to wuicken your fight up, i do like that youre defending being a coward though haha, must be amazing at the game ;)

BigSpence13
08-25-2017, 10:17 PM
I like Battle Royale Concept!!

Call it the 'The For Honor Games' (A play on 'Hunger Games'). LOL!

D

Alustar.
08-25-2017, 10:55 PM
Out of my circle of friends online I'm the only one who plays skirmish regularly. Back when the game launched skirmish was heavily populated due to the ease of kill streaks brought on by the old revenge mechanics. Now that there arent a whole lot of them since it became VASTLY more difficult without an easy super saiyan buff.

SwellChemosabe
08-25-2017, 11:10 PM
Before Highlander came out I was always about elimination. I find it's better for learning how to fight against experienced players who use a wide range of heroes, not just in 1v1 style but also when their team decides to gank. May not be ideal but I find it helpful, challenging and fun. I use dominion mainly for getting xp, leveling up and getting more gear after a match for the hero I'm maining at the given time. Soon as my highlander is maxed out rep ten it's straight back to elimination for me.

I get that some people have their honor code, others have their anything goes method, and I can't be mad at either or because if you play a 4v4 mode you should expect it to happen. It's a team game mode one way or another, and however that team chooses to play, i'll happily oblige.

CandleInTheDark
08-25-2017, 11:14 PM
I get that some people have their honor code, others have their anything goes method, and I can't be mad at either or because if you play a 4v4 mode you should expect it to happen. It's a team game mode one way or another, and however that team chooses to play, i'll happily oblige.

Which is exactly the way it should be, devs and reps have said this many times, which was kind of the point I was making, the reason there are less people in elimination is because of the my way or the highway attitude that people are showing over it.

SwellChemosabe
08-25-2017, 11:20 PM
Which is exactly the way it should be, devs and reps have said this many times, which was kind of the point I was making, the reason there are less people in elimination is because of the my way or the highway attitude that people are showing over it.

Agreed. It's a shame really, Elimination can be really fun.

Alustar.
08-25-2017, 11:23 PM
I wonder how popular askirmish would be if players took the time to get more proficient at 1vX by training with bots. It's surprisingly easier to handle in some situations than a straight 1v1.

That_guy44
08-25-2017, 11:27 PM
The ganks and unblockable ruin it for me. You get matched with pretty bad teammates. Then they ragequit leaving you with an even worse bot. It steamrolls downhill from there. I'd rather just play duels. Atleast if I lose there I know it's my fault.

SwellChemosabe
08-25-2017, 11:38 PM
The ganks and unblockable ruin it for me. You get matched with pretty bad teammates. Then they ragequit leaving you with an even worse bot. It steamrolls downhill from there. I'd rather just play duels. Atleast if I lose there I know it's my fault.

Well not all elimination matches are like that. I've had plenty where every player was more than happy to wait their turn in an honor duel. And besides, you start off faced off with only one other player to begin with so it's just as likely that they'll kill you first before their teammates even show up, or yours will and just steal your kill. At that point you just got to roll with the punches.

UbiNoty
08-26-2017, 12:18 AM
It seems to be mostly personal preference, and Dominion is just more popular in that regard since it's the most objective-based mode. But we do try to encourage players to try and play other game modes through orders and community events.

CandleInTheDark
08-26-2017, 12:32 AM
Candle are you saying it shouldnt be? Haha each person spawns in a position of ONE VERSUS ONE. What you do after that fight is whatever you want. Added incentive to wuicken your fight up, i do like that youre defending being a coward though haha, must be amazing at the game ;)

Needed to take the time to get a balanced response to this because yes I very much have an opinion on it and as I said this is not the place to argue that. What I am saying is that the devs and the reps here have, many times, said that both ways of playing are valid ways of playing. You can cherrypick certain details, people on the other side of the argument will tell you that if they wanted to queue for 1v1 they would not have queued instead for 4v4 and that the fact that there is nothing stopping them from being involved in other fights, and that there is no anti-runaway planned like there is for duel is a clear sign that the devs do not feel that their way of playing is at odds with how they see the game.

And here is the thing, like I said, both ways are valid, I'll go with what the devs and reps say rather than how people on the forums interpret the rules and fit them into their own preferences since the devs, they kind of designed it. The thing is every time you or someone else or people from the other side of that argument take the attitude that it can only be played in one way and they will belittle anyone who disagrees, you are part of the reason not so many people play elimination.

SwellChemosabe
08-26-2017, 12:39 AM

soooo.....chase them? I'm sure you'll catch up eventually. It may not be ideal but it's still a valid strategy for those who prefer to work with their team. People play how they want, simple as that.

UbiNoty
08-26-2017, 12:42 AM
Let's refrain from name-calling and arguing over a topic discussing elimination and skirmish (I mean there's not even a word remotely resembling centurion in here guys).

Ultimately, at the end of the day, elimination and skirmish are 4v4 game modes and not one on one duels. If you so choose, you can make the choice to try and duel each other in the beginning if that is your preference, but employing other team-based strategies are totally valid in our eyes as well. So I wouldn't necessarily label it as cowardly, or cheesy, when players are making a strategic decision to group up in order to gain an advantage in a team-based game mode.

If you like, we can discuss the enjoyment, balance, and fairness of elimination and skirmish, and that would be actionable feedback I can take back to the team - but please keep in mind that in these modes, we're giving you some tools and an arena to use those tools. There's no right or wrong way about it.

CandleInTheDark
08-26-2017, 01:04 AM
Let's refrain from name-calling and arguing over a topic discussing elimination and skirmish (I mean there's not even a word remotely resembling centurion in here guys).

Ultimately, at the end of the day, elimination and skirmish are 4v4 game modes and not one on one duels. If you so choose, you can make the choice to try and duel each other in the beginning if that is your preference, but employing other team-based strategies are totally valid in our eyes as well. So I wouldn't necessarily label it as cowardly, or cheesy, when players are making a strategic decision to group up in order to gain an advantage in a team-based game mode.

If you like, we can discuss the enjoyment, balance, and fairness of elimination and skirmish, and that would be actionable feedback I can take back to the team - but please keep in mind that in these modes, we're giving you some tools and an arena to use those tools. There's no right or wrong way about it.

The thing is, and this is more about brawl for me because it is the one team game that has no gear stats, feats or boosts, it is more a community thing, there isn't a lot the devs can do outside of giving something like a 2v2 skirmish without any extras or a 2v2 or 4v4 that does have a function hardcoded into it that keep the fights separate in the (not guaranteed) hope that the people who are so bloody mindedly set on their own way of doing things go to whichever one of those would come up that apply to their preferences.

All things being equal, I would spend most of my time in brawl, the best bit of the season launch stream for me was the brawl finals where most of the rounds were chaotic target switching madness (which is better in 2's than 4's with how a group can turn into a murderball in 4's) and the one that wasn't was because one of the teams picked their battleground and a choke point. The problem is I know that even money if I try to do that my own teammate will attack me. Being balanced, from what has been said in other threads there are people on the other side of the coin that are just as bad, I see the bad side of one side of things because I have my bias in that and I know that, but right now it just feels too toxic to play anything but dominion with the odd duel to keep 1v1 skills sharp though not too many because that is where you get most of the hate mail.

Trbevis
08-26-2017, 01:33 AM
But the majority of people do want to play it like that, hence funnily enough why there is very few people playing elimination or skirmish.... so if people go into the game mode, and have a good game, which i have had of elimination, its great and i gurantee 6/8 people will rematch regardless of their score, but when they start and immediately get gsnked it will put them off, so yes each to their own but its clearly one of the reasons npone bothers with it, then when we get orders for them modes, it envourages me to try it, search, no game, give up haha but whatever, each to their own but i wont be playing them haha

BTTrinity
08-27-2017, 02:09 AM
Boosts ruin the game-modes.

Vonnivek
08-27-2017, 05:56 AM

for elimination, I think 1v1 at the start of each match is much more fun and more balance.
It's not because I don't like chaos(I like skirmish btw), but it's the balance issue.
If your opponent is a fast-running hero like assassin, and he choose to run to other's battle field to gank at the beginning of the match
you can't do nothing, you only have two choices,
1. follow him, but since you are slower, you will catch-up after he already enter other's battle and when you arrive, your partner may already been killed or low-health
then you have to face two enemies, which you will lost very likely
2. don't follow him, go the other way to help your teammate 2v1 others. This also mean one of your teammates is left to 1v2 enemies, which will be dead very likely

both situations don't have a good experience for playing for those got ganked,
if we want to fight in chaos, every players should have the same condition to fight,
not some heroes with more mobility that can have more advantage to gank others
and I think that's why so few people player elimination
because now this game mode can't satisfy both type players, so both type players they all don't want to play the mode
you should separate these two type players and make different mode for them

sorry for my bad english lol

kweassa1
08-27-2017, 06:16 AM
The less factors outside pure man-to-man combat is involved in the game, the more pure skill becomes important... and the more pure skill becomes important, the more personal it becomes. In Dominion there are many, many factors that can affect the outcome of the game, which all makes it easier and less humiliating in a loss. Skirm/Elim is more "purist" in terms of combat, and it literally has much fewer "excuses" you can rely on. If you suck in combat skill, then in Skirm/Elim there's no way for you to contribute and you become nothing but a liability and a burden to team... and unlike in Dominion, in stuff like Elim/Skirmish you can feel much more sensitively just how much of a burden you become ... and for many people, as corny as it may sound, its too much to take on their egos.

SwellChemosabe
08-27-2017, 06:41 AM
The less factors outside pure man-to-man combat is involved in the game, the more pure skill becomes important... and the more pure skill becomes important, the more personal it becomes. In Dominion there are many, many factors that can affect the outcome of the game, which all makes it easier and less humiliating in a loss. Skirm/Elim is more "purist" in terms of combat, and it literally has much fewer "excuses" you can rely on. If you suck in combat skill, then in Skirm/Elim there's no way for you to contribute and you become nothing but a liability and a burden to team... and unlike in Dominion, in stuff like Elim/Skirmish you can feel much more sensitively just how much of a burden you become ... and for many people, as corny as it may sound, its too much to take on their egos.

Well I don't know about all that ego stuff but I do know that in elimination I do feel more like I'm contributing more even if I only kill the opponent I'm matched up with every round. Yeah it's a little disappointing when I can't get a kill and my team has to carry me but I wouldn't go as far to say that it bruises my ego.

otherwise yeah, I'd say skrim/elim is much more purist based, in that you start off in a simple 1v1 and it can progress into something complex, but it's ultimately on you to kill the opponent you're first matched up with.

CoyoteXStarrk
08-27-2017, 07:36 AM
I can't speak to why other people don't like the modes, but I can tell you why I personally don't

Elimination = A mode for people who want to duel but aren't good enough to win consistently in Duel mode or a mode for people who wanna duel while still playing with friends. Usually ends with 2 or 3 people ganging up on the last guy and spamming heavies like its going out of style.

Skirmish = An absolute no holds barred skilless mess that is literally just 4 people facerolling their controllers in the hopes of getting the final hit.

Dominion while far from perfect at least has some measure of objective other than to see who can get the most kills.

SwellChemosabe
08-27-2017, 09:17 AM
I can't speak to why other people don't like the modes, but I can tell you why I personally don't

Elimination = A mode for people who want to duel but aren't good enough to win consistently in Duel mode or a mode for people who wanna duel while still playing with friends. Usually ends with 2 or 3 people ganging up on the last guy and spamming heavies like its going out of style.

Skirmish = An absolute no holds barred skilless mess that is literally just 4 people facerolling their controllers in the hopes of getting the final hit.

Dominion while far from perfect at least has some measure of objective other than to see who can get the most kills.

I respectfully disagree because, as someone who loves elimination, I don't really see it that way. Elimination is a good opportunity for me to get into a 1v1 to start and progress from there through whatever the match evolves into (whether it be multiple honor 1v1's or a huge gank fest). It's great for testing different scenarios and practicing against different characters without the interruption of dominion or the frustration of someone leaving the dual because they keep losing.

but yes +1 on skirmish. That should be a definition used in the dictionary.

Alustar.
08-27-2017, 11:28 AM

There are some of us who play skirmish solo and don't run with the packs.