PDA

View Full Version : New to the game! Any tips?

AliceOnDrugs
08-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Hello guys and gals!

I know I might be a little late to the party, and that the game itself doesn't have the best critics among players, but I took a leap of faith and bought it with the back to school sale.

Been playing the story mode and practicing a little and I really enjoy it! But since I'm a little late and every player seems to be kinda experienced, I would like to know any tips you can give me in order to git gud and start pvping or anything I must know from the game in general before adventuring to it.

Thanks everyone, and sorry if I misspelled anything, english is not my native language!

NPG_Opie
08-24-2017, 08:18 PM
My best advice: patience and plenty of practice!!! This game is a lot of fun but it has a very steep learning curve. Practice key elements like counter guard break and parry. Practice utilizing every move for your chosen hero. Practice timing and combos, figure out what you can and can't do. If you have trouble against a particular hero, play as that character in practice mode and learn what they can and can't do. This will help you immensely.

If you give your time to the game to learn and get better you'll have a much better experience. I'll admit even when you get better and start winning, the game can still be extremely rage inducing. But keep at it with patience and it'll be better.

Look up videos on YouTube and maybe ask more experienced players to help you practice.

I can't really give specific, solid advice as I'm not great at the game, but whatever you do, have fun! It's an awesome game after all!

And lastly, welcome! I hope you continue to get better and enjoy the game!

LordDarkMoth
08-24-2017, 08:26 PM
I'm by no means a pro but here is my 2 cents. Something that helped me a ton when i was new was playing an AI and just practicing parries. when it comes to pvp you really need to know how to parry and counter guard break. They are just 2 skills that will transfer into most every character. While practicing I also tried mixing up what character i was and fiddled with their basic move set. It really helped me understand what to watch for when facing them in battle.

Another thing you have to have is patience. once you get into pvp, you are going to die a lot. don't let it get to you stick with the character you are most comfortable with until you get your feet under you. Unless you are in the high levels of playing, you can usually figure out how to hold your own with any character you jive with and there are resource people have been putting out for how to do well with specific characters all over youtube.

SplugeKing
08-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Master parries, feints, and gb/ counter GB. Once you get those down its all (mostly) about knowing the characters you're up against and mind games

UbiNoty
08-25-2017, 12:21 AM
Welcome new warrior!
Definitely play through campaign, and all the tutorials (basic + advanced). Then you can always have a go at the bots to prepare yourself before you venture into the harsh world of PvP.

Don't get discouraged - you'll only get better with time and practice! And it always helps to watch some community-created videos and tutorial, reading up on some of the amazing guides our community has created, and asking our great community for tips like you've done!

Another tip, it may be more helpful to ask for more specific advice, such as how to best use a specific hero you're interested in, hero-matchups, maybe ask for insight on mechanics you may find confusing - that way we can offer you much more pointed and targeted advice rather than vague stuff.

Cheers :) GLHF

Dude_of_Valor
08-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Distance and minimising mistakes is key in a lot of matches.

Here is my advice on the classes that are available.

Assassin characters are fast and natural either counter attack or get in for a few hits then dodge back.

Heavy characters usual have unblockable and/or uninterruptible attacks that if you trade you are going to loose.

Wardens have a 50/50 SB which can be hard to deal with (depends on the class you chose).

Nobushi will generally want to fight at distance, and unless you are good at blocking, dodging or parrying it is going to be a rough match up.

Kensei has really good reach, and thus may start attacks far away to lull you into a mistake.

Beserkers love to be in close, hit and feint into guard breaks or more attacks. Avoid being sucked in at all costs.

Centurions will drain most to all of your stamina if you are not extremely careful. You have to play patient with them, and try not to over exert yourself. Fortunately they don't handle damage to well and so can die pretty quickly if you get going.

Lastly Shinobi is much like a a Benny Hill chase. If you stand your ground they can hit from with range, if you chase they can just run away. Still they are very squidgy and GB is your friend.

Good luck and happy hunting

CandleInTheDark
08-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Hello there :)

A definite plus one to the advice above.

One thing I would say is know your character. In the how to play section, there is an option that lets you select a bot, default rank is rank zero. Go against the rank zero bot, hit every move you can on your movelist while the opponent is being passive. Then move on to the level one bot, the level one bot in how to play only swings heavies so that is a good place to practice parries and, if you are an assassin, deflects.

A good series of videos is the For Honor Hero School series where the host and a guest go through all the aspects of an individual character (be aware most of them are before buffs and nerfs however), not aware if they have videos on the two newest yet but it is generally a good tool, and if you are planning on using kensei, vallkyrie, lawbringer, centurion, nobushi, warden, berserker or highlander, jbirse has aset of videos on mixups and punishes for them. Outside of these, type in For Honor (character you want to look at, warden, peacekeeper et al) into google, you can usually find some videos on them.

DrinkinMyStella
08-25-2017, 12:05 PM
welcome!! the other posts pretty much covered your question so no need for me to repeat the. if your on ps4 add me DrinkinMehStella and we can train together and in time you will be a warrior. like The others said its key to practice your defence so parring and counter guard breaks etc then once you have the timings down then you can start using your chosen hero to a more advance level. I have 11days played and I still miss the counter guard break and parrying window sometimes. Good luck.

Anarnam
08-25-2017, 01:24 PM
Well, above all else, believe me you need this advice (already mentioned though):
(sorry for capital letters)

DONT GET DISCOURAGED - you WILL lose A LOT of matches (mostly those that are 1v1)

2. Learn counter GB
3. Before you find your dream character, play warden or warlord a little bit. Those 2 are extremely new-player friendly.

RatedChaotic
08-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Tinker with the deadzone slider in the options menu. It will help aswell.

And Welcome to For Honor...it has its issues of course...But its still damn fun to play...

Grivois_Gaulois
08-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Play the campaign to get the basics as to test all playstyles (DLC chars aside) so you can eventually choose a main to stick with for every char plays differently, some being easier to play than others which will need some time to control correctly.

If on PC then take the time to test graphical as game options : some are game changer, like v-synch for example. Also check threads about NAT for it may help you having the best online experience.

Not to mention several tips as many mistakes you'll need to learn by mere practicing.