PDA

View Full Version : How to use highlander in team fights?

MassiveD.
08-24-2017, 09:49 AM
For 1v1 i find him to be very fun and his mix-up game in OF can be otherworldly if done right.

However in 1v2 and above I'm really struggling to understand how to use him well. In any team fight or while fighting multiple opponents, your OF is permanently disabled , because you can get knocked out of it so easily, and if you manage to crushing counter and go for quick charge OF its not gonna have that much of an impact, because you will either get parried or run out of stamina performing OF lights, which wont do anything against multiple opponents.

Not to mention that due to his broken GB bug , he cant even punish parries well (I know about the unlock trick to gb but its too finicky )

I know this is 100% me, not the hero itself, but some tips of how to use him efficiently in team fights would be highly appreciated, thank you

MassiveD.
08-24-2017, 02:11 PM
bump

Alustar.
08-24-2017, 02:19 PM
The is actually MUCH EAISER than other classes and in my opinion, where the HL shines.

First make sure to zone yourself properly. Keep the slowest character opposing you on your main lock, then focus on defense. Block external hits to build revenge, parry when able. (Remember blocking once will initiate a frame advantage allowing you to block all hits within that time frame, same with parry.)

Once revenge is built up bait an attack from as many as possible(this shouldn't be hard, gank squads are like lemmings)

Once you hit revenge strait with a zone hit canceled after the first swing, switch targets zone, cancel, switch targets, spinheavy or light as needed to keep from being parried by repressed zones.

If you do it right even if all four have you surrounded, you can turn the HL into a whirlwind of heavy strikes that will keep most at a distance if they are smart.

This is a vid I have of a similar encounter:

https://youtu.be/KhuWwu0DPn8 The 1v4 is at 2:16 for refference.

Granted we lost the match, but as you can tell my HL wiped damn near the whole group solo.

MassiveD.
08-24-2017, 02:49 PM
So just turtle until I build revenge?

Is that honestly the best he can do.

Guess I just need to get use to him, so far Im terrible with him.

And the GB after parry bug is so damn annoying

Alustar.
08-24-2017, 02:54 PM
In 1v4 even on my PK I end up playing defensively until I can make safer attacks, and she's faster than most other heroes.

With HL being as slow starting up as he is you have to wait for a good parry the will off balance at least 2 of the 4 opponents.

Building revenge isnt the only thing he is capable of, but when in a disadvantageous position you need to play safe.

You could use DS heavies with the superior guard you'd land hits, but the parry risk and chances of being hit externally make it troublesome.

MassiveD.
08-24-2017, 02:57 PM
ok thanks, ill try to use ur tips to improve my HL play

Alustar.
08-24-2017, 03:09 PM
ok thanks, ill try to use ur tips to improve my HL play

If you want to try OS the best way to get into while being ganked is to fast glow from a parry. Just be cautious of light hits. Hope it helps

UbiNoty
08-25-2017, 12:56 AM
We're keeping special watch on HL in 4v4 modes given the feedback we've seen on his speed.
We need just a bit more time since the new heroes have really only been out for less than 2 weeks now. But once we'e got some more solid data we'll give you all an update on our new hero review and evaluation.

Also, reminder - no bumping please. It's actually a forum rule (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/907678-Forum-Rules?p=10142076&viewfull=1#post10142076).

SangLong524
08-25-2017, 02:17 AM
i admit i haven't play HL much and Viking heroes seem so... unrefined savages for my taste. :) but i think in teamwork, u can prioritize Offensive stand and spam unblockables as long as YOUR TARGET is in direct engagement with ANOTHER and your team is acting like... a team. So it's 1vs Many case. Parry external unblockables aren't easy. Mix up with Offensive grab. after all these times, i think people get angry really fast when they are grabbed and yanked by their ears around. So putting some annoying moves will undermine your opponent's concentration. Unless he's the berserker type that get even more focused when angry. in that case, oops!
If u play decoy, ofc go for defensive stand and distract the target. Switch to offensive when the target switches lock. try to be flexible about your role.

I have had matches that everyone in the team worked so well together, without mic and without any ingame signals. One stepped up then the other stepped back to support. we switched back and forth to keep each other alive. it was amazing. I don't have to tell you that more than 1 person swinging around will get revenge in the face.

SwellChemosabe
08-25-2017, 02:35 AM
A tactic I've used, and I'm sure other experienced players have employed as well, is regularly switching targets based on how they're behaving at the current moment in the middle of a fight. Ganking is never a fun experience and I find it very annoying at times but it can also be somewhat of an advantage. You have to realize that in a 1vX situation, a majority of the time, each attacker is only focused on trying to be the one that kills you and gets the execution. It's an uncoordinated effort and can be sloppy which is an opportunity for you to capitalize on. switching targets between attacks and combos can be an effective way to stave off wave after wave of blows, because then they know they have to be a little more cautious. do this intermittently and only when a window of opportunity presents itself where you can hit two different targets and return to defense before the next attack, and repeat. It sounds easier in theory, in reality its very difficult to accomplish if you haven't practiced this long enough. However, the end result, if executed properly, can be very satisfying. Especially if you manage to not only fight them off but kill them each.

Edit: I've done this with highlander and it can be very devastating for a duo/group of opponents to get hit with every other unblock able because they aren't paying attention. Also, don't forget about that counter-attack. Already ended a number of conflicts with that alone so it's pretty handy in a gank situation.

CoyoteXStarrk
08-25-2017, 02:54 AM
Its really hilarious to me that the Highlander is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the Centurion in terms of usefulness and the issues that people have with each class.

The Centurion excels in group fights. Meanwhile the Highlander is at his worst in group fights

The Centurion is mid tier at 1v1s. Meanwhile the Highlander's ability to switch up his stance and lines of attack make him a great 1v1 option.

The Centurion's zone makes him one of the best Minion slayers. Currently the Highlander kills less minions than anyone other than the PK.

The Centurion upon release was considered by some to be utterly broken. The Highlander upon release has him already labeled as thoroughly average.

The parallels are endless lol

SwellChemosabe
08-25-2017, 02:57 AM
Its really hilarious to me that the Highlander is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the Centurion in terms of usefulness and the issues that people have with each class.

The Centurion excels in group fights. Meanwhile the Highlander is at his worst in group fights

The Centurion is mid tier at 1v1s. Meanwhile the Highlander's ability to switch up his stance and lines of attack make him a great 1v1 option.

The Centurion's zone makes him one of the best Minion slayers. Currently the Highlander kills less minions than anyone other than the PK.

The Centurion upon release was considered by some to be utterly broken. The Highlander upon release has him already labeled as thoroughly average.

The parallels are endless lol

The ying to his yang, to be cheeky.

CoyoteXStarrk
08-25-2017, 03:04 AM
The ying to his yang, to be cheeky.

Exactly.

Its like the Dev Team sat down and made a list of everything the Centurion is and then proceeded to make a character that is the opposite in ever possible way lol

Centurion has short range, but fast attacks. Highlander has long range, but slow attacks.

Centurion is decked out in full stereotypical Roman armor. Highlander is wearing no armor at all and a kilt

Centurion has the smallest main weapon in the game. Highlander has the biggest weapon in the game.

The more of these I come up with the funnier it gets lol

Butonfly
08-25-2017, 06:22 AM
We're keeping special watch on HL in 4v4 modes given the feedback we've seen on his speed.
We need just a bit more time since the new heroes have really only been out for less than 2 weeks now. But once we'e got some more solid data we'll give you all an update on our new hero review and evaluation.

Also, reminder - no bumping please. It's actually a forum rule (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/907678-Forum-Rules?p=10142076&viewfull=1#post10142076).

Revenge build and use is SUPER important for Highlander in a 1vX situation. It's a cool play style and I like it because once you get your Revenge you can unleash.

The point of concern is how much damage you take before getting that Revenge. You might block a ton and get hit a couple of times, that's ok. You might block less and get hit a ton then get a little chance to counter. The only problem I'm debating is the chip damage. You HAVE to rely on your blocks, though you might try to parry as much as possible. Even so, even blocking everything you can end up taking a TON of damage off of chip before getting that revenge bar, even if you're warding off 3-4 other opponents. At that point it just feels unfair considering you've done what's needed to not just get killed outright by overwhelming numbers.