PDA

View Full Version : The DLC should take Bayek to Jerusalem

ze_topazio
08-23-2017, 12:21 AM
Has some people suggested here and in other places.

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/6n9vnd/what_if_bayek_put_the_apple_of_eden_in_solomons/

Ashraf said Origins celebrates the series 10th anniversary, and in order to do that they are showing us the foundation of the Brotherhood.

But there's more they could do, they could make Bayek go to Jerusalem in the mandatory DLC add-on.

Why Jerusalem? makes perfect sense, if we are celebrating the series 10th anniversary, what better way than visiting the main city from AC1.

There's some speculation that Bayek could find Altair's apple of eden over the course of Origins story, and so he needs to hide it, which of course would be inside the ark of covenant, inside the Temple, in the city of Jerusalem, a perfect tie in with AC1.

But more, since Bayek is in the city, do you know what else he could do? he could establish the specific brotherhood that Altair will eventually belong to.

They could maybe even include Damascus and Acre if they have the time, budget and space.

Makes 101% perfect sense and if you disagree you are ugly and smell bad from your feet.

Some pictures to illustrate the idea:

http://i.imgur.com/PNw2fjX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iv5fnAZ.jpg

http://www.morristhurston.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/20110502-Israel-Day-3-1282.jpg

https://ferrelljenkins.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/second-temple-model_full_fjenkins_050910_172t.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Jerusalem_Modell_BW_2.JPG

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/df/65/8f/df658f9f4d5508178038205dd810827f.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/View_of_Ancient_Jerusalem.jpg

gordon677
08-23-2017, 02:58 AM
Nah, just take a pic of Beyak waving from the city for the 10th Anniversary, that's enough. We will need to go to Rome and kill Caesar after we help him in this game.

VestigialLlama4
08-23-2017, 08:33 AM
No way will Ubisoft do it...because it's just way too contentious. This is the era of Roman occupied Judea, First Century BCE...and it's too politically explosive an era and setting to do it.

We will need to go to Rome and kill Caesar after we help him in this game.

Rome in the Republican era is a bunch of brick buildings and ugly settlements...almost none of the ruins you want to see will be there. And Caesar was killed by Brutus and conspirators, and not by Bayek...

Kuiperdolin
08-23-2017, 10:16 AM
It's fairly certain that Pompey will be in the game, or at the very least mentionned.

And of course he's famous among other things for ransacking the Temple including the Holy of Holies.

So what if Bayek brought the Apple back ?

Makes u think

cawatrooper9
08-23-2017, 03:14 PM
I really, really like this idea...

But I better check with my parents first.

WendysBrioche
08-24-2017, 12:17 AM
This is actually what has me most worried about this time period for the games.

The problem with Jerusalem at this particular time is you have a very significant figure who lived around this time in that city preaching what would become one of the most influential doctrines to affect world history and populace for not only the next few centuries, but the following millenia up until present.

How you approach representing that character is bound to generate controversy and easily prone to be taken as offensive by so many people of different backgrounds.

And choosing to ignore this figure in a game taking place there is offensive altogether on it's own, like you're intentionally "ignoring" something that is foundational to many of the world's faiths. And then people get really pissed about misrepresenting that one way or the other.

I mean looking at the all the ignorant debate people are flaming over Bayek's heritage, from YouTube to social media, we already have that problem about a character that is purely fictional, and taking it a step further and doing it twice?

This isn't a good time culturally either, if you've been following the news and protesting especially in the US. I think the latest Far Cry has already generated enough to upset public opinions from the gaming world.

I really think they should dodge Jerusalem for the time being. A better setting could be the Bar Kokhba Revolt, a hundred and a half years later, where you can hear whisperings of the foundations and characters of these faiths without representing them in ways that are sure to offend people of any background.

strigoi1958
08-24-2017, 12:43 AM
Makes 101% perfect sense and if you disagree you are ugly and smell bad from your feet.

Lol

Well, as VestigialLlama4 (Where have you been? :) ) said it is a contentious considering its location, and although Ubi has not shied away from contention before, it might be too much. Admittedly, it would be a great place to visit and even make a good setting even if it was for just one mission, I'm sure even in Origins, anyone with strong opinions for not wanting it in an Egyptian based game, might accept Jerusalems inclusion if it was in a mission where Bayek has to go to assassinate a Templar in a position of power.

And as I'm already ugly and my feet smell... I will not say no, I'll be an undecided and see what my mum says ;) now where did I put that Ouija board? :)

cawatrooper9
08-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Rome in the Republican era is a bunch of brick buildings and ugly settlements...almost none of the ruins you want to see will be there. And Caesar was killed by Brutus and conspirators, and not by Bayek...

To be fair, there's a fair amount of precedent for historical figures being taken down by Assassins in the games while they died from other causes (and sometimes even at other times) in real life. The way that the games portray this always varies, but sometimes it comes across as kind of funky still.

In regards to the controversy- unless Bayek is super old, we're probably not gonna see Jesus as a character. And honestly, given the context of the main game, I think it would be a pretty fantastic time period to step up and do something interesting. That being said, I agree that with Ubisoft's current "play it safe" trajectory, this seems unlikely.

Abelzorus-Prime
08-24-2017, 04:25 PM
The era of Jesus and Christianity is a bit after this time with Caesar and Cleopatra. There is no Christians preaching during the 1st century BC.

WendysBrioche
08-25-2017, 02:50 AM
The era of Jesus and Christianity is a bit after this time with Caesar and Cleopatra. There is no Christians preaching during the 1st century BC.

Honestly, i didnt check the dates. I was always told the roman calendar started at Christ's death, so pardon me. I'm still a bit afraid it's cutting it close.

We don't know how old Bayek might be by the end of the game. It still might strike certain groups as offensive to visit during that time period so close and ignore Christianity.

If they do it before, maybe. Still I would avoid that time frame by at least a hundred years, just to play it safe.

cawatrooper9
08-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Honestly, i didnt check the dates. I was always told the roman calendar started at Christ's death, so pardon me. I'm still a bit afraid it's cutting it close.

We don't know how old Bayek might be by the end of the game. It still might strike certain groups as offensive to visit during that time period so close and ignore Christianity.

If they do it before, maybe. Still I would avoid that time frame by at least a hundred years, just to play it safe.

The family's exile to Egypt happened after the death of Herod the Great, which occurred in 4BC. Jesus was presumed young then, so that would place his birthday in roughly 6-4 BC. The date of his death (gleaned from astronomical data during the Passover period taken over the period of Pontious Pilate's rule from AD 26-36) gives us two years for his apparent death- AD 30 and AD 33.

So, unless the game goes almost 50 years after Cleopatra's death, we're not gonna see Jesus- and even then, he'd just have a cameo as a baby, which would be weird.

Any controversy would revolve around the fact that it would show the Holy Land at all- and, like AC1, wouldn't totally vilify Muslims. Which I think is stupid (AC1 did a great job of showing how morality transcends religion), but that's just sort of the political climate we're in right now.

LoyalACFan
08-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Any controversy would revolve around the fact that it would show the Holy Land at all- and, like AC1, wouldn't totally vilify Muslims. Which I think is stupid (AC1 did a great job of showing how morality transcends religion), but that's just sort of the political climate we're in right now.

It wouldn't even be an issue, considering that Islam didn't appear until 500 years later :p And, like you said before, Jesus didn't begin preaching until his late twenties at the earliest, so Bayek would be almost a hundred years old by that point (or, more likely, he'd have been pushing daisies for a couple of decades already).

So I don't see a reason to avoid Jerusalem for sensitivity's sake, but on the other hand, I don't see a very convincing reason to go there at all. Laying the foundation for AC1 would be cool, but we wouldn't see any of the characters we know and love, obviously, and BCE Jerusalem would be a pretty underwhelming city after visiting Alexandria and Memphis in their heyday in the base game. Jerusalem wasn't very developed yet; Solomon's Temple would be literally the only notable landmark in the city. I don't see it propping up an entire DLC (and frankly, I don't see the devs building an entirely new city just for the purposes of one expansion). I could see Bayek entering Solomon's Temple to hide the Apple in a cutscene at the end of the game, or even a little mini-mission retracing (or predating, depending on how you look at it) Altair's footsteps in the first mission of AC1, which would be awesome, but not a whole sequence in the city.

cawatrooper9
08-25-2017, 10:34 PM
It wouldn't even be an issue, considering that Islam didn't appear until 500 years later :p And, like you said before, Jesus didn't begin preaching until his late twenties at the earliest, so Bayek would be almost a hundred years old by that point (or, more likely, he'd have been pushing daisies for a couple of decades already).

So I don't see a reason to avoid Jerusalem for sensitivity's sake, but on the other hand, I don't see a very convincing reason to go there at all. Laying the foundation for AC1 would be cool, but we wouldn't see any of the characters we know and love, obviously, and BCE Jerusalem would be a pretty underwhelming city after visiting Alexandria and Memphis in their heyday in the base game. Jerusalem wasn't very developed yet; Solomon's Temple would be literally the only notable landmark in the city. I don't see it propping up an entire DLC (and frankly, I don't see the devs building an entirely new city just for the purposes of one expansion). I could see Bayek entering Solomon's Temple to hide the Apple in a cutscene at the end of the game, or even a little mini-mission retracing (or predating, depending on how you look at it) Altair's footsteps in the first mission of AC1, which would be awesome, but not a whole sequence in the city.

Of course, but we can't expect people to be rational. America is just a single country, but 'Murica... that's a philosophy that I'm afraid each country has some variation on in their own right to some degree :p

And I think the reason to go there would be to take the Apple (presuming it'sin this game) and lay it in Solomon's temple- seems like a really cool tie in. Though you're probably right about the architecture not being nearly as interesting yet as AC1

Senningiri_GR
08-27-2017, 03:02 PM
We will need to go to Rome and kill Caesar after we help him in this game.

So, is there the possibility to see Brutus as an Assassin and if so, will he aid Bayek in some missions???
https://pre11.deviantart.net/11e5/th/pre/i/2014/092/9/7/filled_by_prophecy_by_bb22andy-d7crl6e.png

VestigialLlama4
08-27-2017, 05:34 PM
So, is there the possibility to see Brutus as an Assassin and if so, will he aid Bayek in some missions???

At the time of Caesar's assassination, Cleopatra was in Rome. Caesar had installed her, and made a statue of her next to a Venus statue. So yes it's possible that Bayek might be in Rome, either to oppose one or the other, or to keep an eye on them.

...As for whether Brutus will be an Assassin or if Bayek will support him, well...Ubisoft's Lore in Brotherhood with the Daggers of Brutus already made him an Assassin and "good guy" so it's too late to change.

The real Brutus was a corrupt politician, a Loan Shark who exploited the poor, and he opposed Caesar's reinstatement of Gracchian reforms, and that Assassination was a terrible mistake. He was no Assassin fighting for liberty, he was a Roman patrician fighting for his privilege to oppress the poor.

I can't see why Bayek as an Egyptian would support Caesar's assassination, because he was the only one allowing Egypt autonomy under Cleopatra. And when Augustus came in, Egypt literally became the personal property of the Roman Emperor.

RinoTheBouncer
08-29-2017, 10:12 AM
I've suggested that idea a while back on my site, The Codex and I feel like since the earliest promotional images of Bayek, they're trying to draw so many parallels between Altair and Bayek as the founder and reformer. So I think it wouldn't really be that unlikely to show that or to even reference that Bayek somehow travelled and hid the Apple under Solomon's Temple. Perhaps something as subtle as Arno sending the POE to Al Mualim in Cairo or something as elaborate as a DLC. I'd welcome the idea of a multi-episode DLC that takes Bayek to Greece, Rome and Jerusalem. That would totally be epic. Something the size of UC: The Lost Legacy would truly be exciting.

ze_topazio
09-06-2017, 12:23 AM
I've suggested that idea a while back on my site

Didn't saw it, I swear I didn't steal your idea, the only thing I can say is that great minds think alike, lol, although like I said I saw others discussing similar ideas so it's not like I was the one to came up with the idea to begin with, lol.

And to add another possibility, so it seems that Aya is a Hebraic name which means that maybe Aya could have Judean ancestry, so instead of Bayek, she could be the one to go to Jerusalem.

Samurai587
09-06-2017, 02:55 PM
What about Antioch, Ctesphion or Hatra?

If this is going to be a series, then it might be worth exploring the Parthian Empire - its also another neglected Empire, the Sassiands get more coverage than the Parthians do.

Ctesphion would be a very exotic city to look at.

But if its 30 BC, then by this point there isn't really much to look at the Ancient World in my opinion:
https://www.timemaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/middleeastad1.jpg

Egypt will be the last Hellenic faction in AC Origins and historically as well.

They've had plans to explore the Selecuid Empire - which would be awesome, but they really should go back to the Bronze age or something. I can't see how Greece can be a possible setting with no Hellenic factions - because by then it'll be ruled by the Romans.

PAN_1972
09-08-2017, 12:47 AM
Aya is a Hebraic name which means that maybe Aya could have Judean ancestry,.
I thought they name derives from Aya /Aia the Sumerian or acadian Goddess. I don't think she has relations with Jerusalem, but who knows...

JustinMacri
09-11-2017, 02:38 AM
this is the time line were humans first came to the earth, so the thing is we need to know how he "Apple" got there and Italy. See this game will not just unfold the foundation to the brotherhood it also tells us how humans first became a civilized people.