PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 5 Is Set In 2018

Fallen-Champ
08-21-2017, 12:10 AM
They did say Modern day Montana.

Far Cry 5, another one of Ubisoft’s upcoming major releases. In an interview with Ubicentral (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91TH5j_S7D0), Far Cry 5 creative director and executive producer Dan Hay was asked when the game is set, and he confirmed that it will be set in the moment that it is launched, in 2018 itself. He said that while the Montana that the game will portray as its setting will be their own take on it, the development team at Ubisoft still wants it to feel completely relatable.
“It’s our world,” Day Hay said in the interview, “and it’s our Montana, but I really do feel passionately about the idea that the characters exist in the world have lived the same or similar to two and a half to three years that we’re living right now, and so it feels real and approachable.”

Speaking on "Far Cry 5"'s us-versus-them and American shooting Americans kind of gameplay, creative director Dan Hay told (http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/26/far-cry-5-first-look-a-montana-uprising) IGN that the game is not a story that is supposed to teach players anything specific about politics.
"The key for us is to make sure that when we build our world, we populate it with characters that have their own views. And those views compete," he said, adding, "The world is sometimes messy and sometimes bumpy and filled with opinions. And if we do it right, we will build a world that has the same thing."

As for gameplay, "Far Cry 5" allows for semi trucks, sports cars, muscle cars, tractors and planes to be drivable. While Ubisoft has yet to release a final list of animals that will be appearing in the game, it is also safe to assume that players can expect the "Far Cry" series' trademark array of forageable plants and huntable animals.

HorTyS
08-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I guess there are some people doubting this. I saw a reddit post where some guy was thinking it took place in the 80's....

Fallen-Champ
08-21-2017, 04:25 PM
What year would you say the cars are from?

I don't know anything about American muscle cars, they look quite old but maybe some areas out in the sticks have older vehicles, there are always those who get cars made up to look old also like the Mustangs with full body kit.

HorTyS
08-21-2017, 06:02 PM
The classic muscle cars look older but the 4 door trucks from the announce trailer looked plenty modern, as do most of the weapons we've seen thus far. Definitely more modern than the 80's anyhow. I think also it was people coming up with ways to justify not being able to call reinforcements because thats still a hard sell for a lot of folks that they could prevent it. It is something I hope the story addresses in some form...

MikeJDRW
08-26-2017, 09:06 PM
What year would you say the cars are from?

The cars could be from any era, we've got new and old ones in my county. In rural America folks tend to keep vehicles that work. When I was driving to Mt Rushmore in 2002, from Crestline, CA, we went through numerous states and past tons of ranches and farms. One common trait I noticed in farms was that there were numerous trucks of the same make parked in rows in the back lot, near the farm house. I guess those owners liked a certain manufacture of truck, be it Ford, Chevy, Ram or GMC, or whatever. They kept the old truck(s) whenever they replaced it with the newer version. Because they might need a part on any of them, and by keeping the old truck(s), they wouldn't have to be required to go to any auto store (since those were in towns where the farm/ranches were far from) - no they'd just go back to their on-property junk yard and remove whatever they needed and go on with life.

The one thing I haven't seen in the demos though is motorcycles. Here also in NE Wash we have the UTVs, ATVs, dirt bikes and motorcycles. Are those in FC5? If so they too need to be available to the player.

HorTyS
08-27-2017, 12:02 AM
The cars could be from any era, we've got new and old ones in my county. In rural America folks tend to keep vehicles that work. When I was driving to Mt Rushmore in 2002, from Crestline, CA, we went through numerous states and past tons of ranches and farms. One common trait I noticed in farms was that there were numerous trucks of the same make parked in rows in the back lot, near the farm house. I guess those owners liked a certain manufacture of truck, be it Ford, Chevy, Ram or GMC, or whatever. They kept the old truck(s) whenever they replaced it with the newer version. Because they might need a part on any of them, and by keeping the old truck(s), they wouldn't have to be required to go to any auto store (since those were in towns where the farm/ranches were far from) - no they'd just go back to their on-property junk yard and remove whatever they needed and go on with life.

The one thing I haven't seen in the demos though is motorcycles. Here also in NE Wash we have the UTVs, ATVs, dirt bikes and motorcycles. Are those in FC5? If so they too need to be available to the player.

While they'll have quad bikes, I am holding out hope they add dirtbikes and they're saving that reveal for a later date. That is, IMO, one of the best vehicles they could add to the franchise, and very appropriate given the setting, plenty of people have dirtbikes out here...

HorTyS
08-27-2017, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't say motorcycles/ dirtbikes would need to be substantially different mechanically from the quad bike. I feel like if they put a dirtbike in it could control very similarly to the ATV but should be faster and maybe a bit more "squirrely" if you get my meaning.... Hard to describe, but just a bit more sensitive to control adjustments and a bit more slippery in it's controls, but definitely should be faster. The hover craft in FC4 felt like it controlled notably different than other vehicles & I don't think a dirtbike would need to feel any more different in it's controls than the level of unique control the hovercraft had. In general I think the vehicles in FC lack a good sense of speed so I'm hopeful that the muscle cars will in part rectify that but if my dreams of a dirtbike come true they should also feel much faster.

MikeJDRW
08-27-2017, 09:07 PM
The dirt bike would be a cool addition, but I'm still hopeful for the (side-by-side) UTV as we see many of those in my area. Since these vehicles have taken off for several years now, I eggspect you have them in MT and most of the western states. Since the Devs can obviously do vehicles (FC2 to 4) then UTVs should/could replace one of them: http://bit.ly/2xpb8fF

HorTyS
08-28-2017, 01:40 AM
I don't know that those are super popular over here, but there was something kinda like that in the announce trailer, though it was a not exactly the same...

http://i.imgur.com/fwErldll.png

MikeJDRW
08-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Not the same as a rock crawler, we have those as well. It just appears that the UTV has become a poor-man's daily vehicle fot some. My county has been declared an ORV - Offroad Vehicle (area). Which means for those not familiar with the term that people with 4x4s, ATVs, snowmobiles (in season), dirt bikes and such like UTVs can use them on the county roads and in the town(s) (just not restricted to the off-road mountains and such). In fact there's an annual 'Down River Day' weekend (in July) where challengers run their snowmobiles across the Pend Oreille River near the town park, more money and such. Quite the event.