PDA

View Full Version : Assassin advice please

alandonovan
08-17-2017, 09:19 PM
I have just started my first Assassin (trying Gladiator). I sort of understand the theory of the Reflex Defence, but I is there an optimum way to use it, or is it to move to block every attack?
Also, say, I block left. The next attack comes from the left and I want to try to Parry it. Is it best to block left and RT, or is RT enough?
I know this is pretty basic stuff.
TVM

CandleInTheDark
08-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Honestly I have always treated blocking as 'Oh hell I am cornered' and use it as a clutch get out of dodge (saying that I am so used to the assassin mechanics I individually block every hit in a chain on other characters lol). In terms of the gladiator, they have a quicker guard stance decay than the original three, it is quite close to both parry timing and deflect, the parry gives you a stamina punish and guaranteed heavy, the deflect gives you at least one guaranteed heavy (if they are near a wall you can then wallsplat them), while I would practice blocking, getting cornered (and outside duel 1vx) happens, I would focus more on your other defensive tools.

alandonovan
08-17-2017, 09:31 PM
Thanks CID. I am practicing Parry, but Deflect is out of my league ATM lol.

Alustar.
08-17-2017, 09:35 PM
As Candle said blocking has, from my stand point, been a last ditch if I'm being ganged up on or cornered and I need an out fast. I suggest if you want to focus block set your controller dead zones to 2 and practice in close melee against orochi or Centurion players. This will give you better muscle memory and reactionary speeds to better combat other players. Get used to twisting the right stick fast as needed.

Additionally I would also practice getting used to deflect and parry. They have relatively the same reactionary window and can both be used effectively.

Remember blocking once will also block all hits coming in externally from the focus of your attack,tip for group fights.

D3dicatedSrv3rz
08-17-2017, 09:45 PM
If youre still having problems with the timing maybe messing around with the dead-zone area will help. If you're on console beware the joystick tends to flick back and change guard stance

CandleInTheDark
08-17-2017, 09:53 PM
If youre still having problems with the timing maybe messing around with the dead-zone area will help. If you're on console beware the joystick tends to flick back and change guard stance

Yeah I have had to put my deadzone up a little because of that, or conqueror where instead of punishing after getting them on the floor or wallsplatting them I would up going into allblock, my opponent must have thought what the hell is he doing.

Sneaky-Patches
08-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Thanks CID. I am practicing Parry, but Deflect is out of my league ATM lol.

If I were you, I would just load up the lvl1 training bot, and spend an hour or more just 100% only going for deflects (if you can't parry 99% of the time against bots then practice parries first). Then before you sit down to play every time you hop on, spend the first 15-20 mins just deflecting with the bot.

It can be daunting going for them in online games at first (that's why so many assasins don't ever deflect) but I guarantee if you make it your mission to incorporate them into your play style, you will have a big advantage over others (especially with the potential parry nerf on the horizon). Parries too.

Also, practice what mixups you can start from a deflect (until its muscle memory with the bot), as most people won't expect to get deflected, so often following with a GB into a mixup catches them off guard.

But I agree the block is terrible (I main shinobi which has that poor block too), maybe adjust your deadzones down to number 4 or something might also help, but it's just a matter of getting used to it and forcing yourself to consciously change your play style so you are blocking less and dodging /deflecting / parrying more.

Try not to switch classes a lot, and just stick with perfecting one. Good luck :)

alandonovan
08-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Thank you everyone, great advice and very informative. I guess it's the culture change from a non assassin. I am practicing parry a lot with the L1 bot and getting there. I also see the logic in using deflect and follow up too, so I will work on them as well.

SwellChemosabe
08-17-2017, 11:03 PM
Just to add a little, as mentioned before practicing with bots can be very beneficial. If you want to challenge yourself you could load up a practice match with 4 lvl 3 bots and practice blocking from all directions to help quick your reaction time to multiple incoming attacks. I find it's also helped me be even quicker with blocking from just a single attacker. Great for training against getting ganked as well.

CandleInTheDark
08-17-2017, 11:13 PM
Just to add a little, as mentioned before practicing with bots can be very beneficial. If you want to challenge yourself you could load up a practice match with 4 lvl 3 bots and practice blocking from all directions to help quick your reaction time to multiple incoming attacks. I find it's also helped me be even quicker with blocking from just a single attacker. Great for training against getting ganked as well.

You can also turn the damage off which hey means you're stuck in there till you get frustrated enough to give up rather than getting a few second break every now and again but you will see your results improve over time. Make sure to also turn off auto add bots so it does stay a 4v1 if you do that though.

SwellChemosabe
08-17-2017, 11:30 PM
You can also turn the damage off which hey means you're stuck in there till you get frustrated enough to give up rather than getting a few second break every not and again but you will see your results improve over time. Make sure to also turn off auto add bots so it does stay a 4v1 if you do that though.

^ also this

Alustar.
08-17-2017, 11:49 PM

You can also turn the damage off which hey means you're stuck in there till you get frustrated enough to give up rather than getting a few second break every not and again but you will see your results improve over time. Make sure to also turn off auto add bots so it does stay a 4v1 if you do that though.

I can attest to the effectiveness of this as well. Get comfortable being solo as an assassin. It's going to happen and the better you are at external blocking/parrying( which are both super easy) and managing your revenge stats, you will not only be better at reacting to 1v1, but you can handle more targets simultaneously.

I've actually gotten addicted to running solo on my Peacekeeper in skirmish and diving into enemy gank squads. I don't win all of them. However, the anxiety of being outnumbered is replaced with a desire for heads to roll. Another thing that helped me, though this takes a friend, but cycle through fighting against each hero and having them run through all of their attacks.
First just whiffing by so you get an idea for timing/distance/orientation, then again, in combat. Practice landing the important parried and deflects:
Unblockable parry times for the kensei, raider, shugoki, Cent etc
Deflect times on heavies and lights for all classes
Guard break windows after dodging certain attacks.
And then ultimately then "whens" of combat defense. When to dodge, when to block. When to parry, when to grab.