PDA

View Full Version : Why would you make a map that is unplayable in some game modes

SplugeKing
08-16-2017, 02:03 AM
Seriously

Trenk2009
08-16-2017, 02:50 AM
Well that's called being clever and not limited when it comes to level design...

UbiJurassic
08-16-2017, 02:56 AM
Seriously

Which map are you referring to?

Tundra 793
08-16-2017, 03:03 AM
Which map are you referring to?

Viking Village I'd assume.

TheTKOShow
08-16-2017, 05:40 AM
Yeah that's a big ball drop not going to lie.
And it seems big enough, put A in the house up stairs, b in mid and c on docks
Not that hard.

SenBotsu893
08-16-2017, 11:32 AM
i hope its just not yet included in the dominion map rotation.

remeber season 2 had a simmilar issue with the new maps.

Vakris_One
08-16-2017, 11:56 AM
To encourage more people to play Skirmish I would think.

SplugeKing
08-16-2017, 06:26 PM
Viking Village I'd assume.

Yes

Well that's called being clever and not limited when it comes to level design...

Not sure what it getting at. Are you saying they are smart for not including it in Dominion?

SplugeKing
08-16-2017, 06:29 PM
To encourage more people to play Skirmish I would think.

Maybe but if it can be in skirmish it should be able to handle Dominion I would think.

To me, why put in the effort to make a map that can be used in all 4v4 game modes except one... Doesn't make sense to me. It would make more sense if they made duel and brawl only maps

Tundra 793
08-16-2017, 06:35 PM
Maybe but if it can be in skirmish it should be able to handle Dominion I would think.

To me, why put in the effort to make a map that can be used in all 4v4 game modes except one... Doesn't make sense to me. It would make more sense if they made duel and brawl only maps

Vakris' probably right, It's to entice more people to play Skirmish.

I haven't played it enough to know the complete layout, but it should be possible to make it work in Dominion with minimal effort. Just gotta remove that rolling spike thing.

Trbevis
08-16-2017, 07:32 PM
More than likely to promote elimination and skirmish, but maybe instead of force people to play those modes for a new map, how about you look at why those game modes are failing? Im enjoying the new heroes and the start to season 3 dont get me wrong but releasing a new map that you cant even play the most popular mode on is a bit stupid haha

thornh
08-16-2017, 08:03 PM
I too wish they would design all maps around Dominion and just adapt them as necessary for the other modes. One of my favorite maps in the game is Shipyard another map that can't be played in Dominion. Yet, in the single player campaign, Shipyard is the scene of a huge battle. Doesn't make any sense except, of course, to make players play the modes they are less interested in just to see the maps.

That being said I must say I really do enjoy the Sentinel map. And I am pro ballista. I think it adds another layer of strategy to the game. It's the first map where you feel like you are actually defending something.

SplugeKing
08-16-2017, 09:06 PM
I too wish they would design all maps around Dominion and just adapt them as necessary for the other modes. One of my favorite maps in the game is Shipyard another map that can't be played in Dominion. Yet, in the single player campaign, Shipyard is the scene of a huge battle. Doesn't make any sense except, of course, to make players play the modes they are less interested in just to see the maps.

That being said I must say I really do enjoy the Sentinel map. And I am pro ballista. I think it adds another layer of strategy to the game. It's the first map where you feel like you are actually defending something.

The ballista is so cool.

Ubi please read

Vakris_One
08-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Vakris' probably right, It's to entice more people to play Skirmish.

I haven't played it enough to know the complete layout, but it should be possible to make it work in Dominion with minimal effort. Just gotta remove that rolling spike thing.
If they ever make it available for Dominion I'd want them to keep the rolling spike, it's the most unique feature of the map :)

UbiNoty
08-16-2017, 11:52 PM
Well some maps are designed with certain game modes in mind. We may look to adapt it for all game modes in the future, but even with the original maps, not all of them were accessible across all game modes. In the overall scheme of things however, we are trying to release a balanced number of new maps for each of the modes.

RealJayDee1984
08-17-2017, 10:09 AM
It does seem a bit... unwise to release new maps that aren't Dominion-able. Disappointing.

SwellChemosabe
08-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Ya'll gotta remember though, not everyone plays dominion. I play it every now and then, and I used to play it all the time during season 1 but it kind of lost it's appeal with the sudden climb in ganking on that map, it's just ****ing unreal. Now I usually play elimination or brawl. Some maps we get to play on, some we don't, that's how it is.

UbiNoty
08-18-2017, 01:18 AM
So I got them to talk about their map philosophy a bit on stream today. And basically when we go about designing them, we design some maps with a specific game mode in mind. If we can adapt them later to other game modes we do try to, but it all balances out in the end.

CandleInTheDark
08-18-2017, 01:38 AM
They go into it from here. https://youtu.be/uMRzMl48_Q8?t=1826 I had been wondering this too but their take on it makes a lot of sense.

TheTKOShow
08-18-2017, 01:38 AM
Canyon and forest are also non dom maps

Would love to see them in rotation as well.
Maybe instead of minions you could have captains fighting, since it's a little tight.

But a lot of people that I talk to in parties and ingame are like wow It's not in dominion. I get the idea that certain maps are for certain things, but dom is usually high player base even until 8 am and yes I usually stop around then.

Gotta play to your people, and frankly I haven't seen the thread that is praising this idea to exclude a new map from a game type. But we need to keep players happy or I'm going to be stuck playing ai all the dam time

Tyrjo
08-18-2017, 11:45 AM
It seems like it a bit of a waste of content to not have Viking village in Dominion. If it was put in Dominon, I think it would be cool to try out how a map would play out with three zones and no soldiers.