PDA

View Full Version : First impressions of the new characters?

AnEnticingSquid
08-16-2017, 01:22 AM
I'm interested to see what you guys think. My impressions are:

Highlander: Extremely underwhelming. I know he is brand new but damn.
-No parry punish,
-Light on gb,
-Offensive stance is extremely limited in usability,
only 1 opener and it is a gimmick that is already getting countered,
-Defensive heavies do more damage than offensive despite being 100% safer,
-No gb on back dashing opponents,
-Offensive grab and kick are extremely telegraphed and have the same dodge timing making a mix up impossible (just dodge!)
-Attacks so slow they make shugoki look like the flash
-mediocre in ganking and getting ganked (unblockables are extremely slow and always interrupt your teammates).
+Superior block on lights is the saving grace of this character. Although it makes him a god tier turtle, it is definitely necessary to get any reliable damage.
I know it's early on, but unless he has a hidden move set we don't know about, he is going to be low mid tier at best. What I think he needs:
More damage on offensive attacks or faster attacks in general. Make people take a step back when they go into offensive. Not because he is op, but because if they make a mistake they will pay dearly for it.
The ability to cgb while in offensive mode. No blocking is punishment enough to make it risky.
Forward top heavy should be unblockable. This is because his only real opener is to top heavy feint into side heavy. Very predictable and always comes from the same side. Plus all you have to do is block. There is no mind games with it. But if the first attack is unblockable, you have to react. Making it an actual mind game. No where near a 50/50 though because you can still dodge to negate all damage at the risk of him fainting into gb, or parry either of his attacks of you make a good prediction.
Gladiator:
Strong all around
-God tier zone (best in the game??)
-Fast attacks
- Great mixups

Overall, I think he is a good character, not op, not trash, but too damn simple. I wish he was a little harder to play with more complicated mixups. As is, he is more of the same. I would put him right above pk... Definitely high tear.

This is what I think of the new heros. I would love to hear you peoples opinion and what you agree/disagree on.

Vasher.
08-16-2017, 02:08 AM
Honestly, I like most of what you wrote...spot on dude.

Mia.Nora
08-16-2017, 02:47 AM
I said it on another thread already, but Crushing Counterstrike on ALL sides is OP. Just go in a game and capitalize on that and Celtic Curse mixups, ignoring everything else and you will beat anyone without unblockable attacks with ease. Any Valkyrie mains out there who already have mechanical skills with valk superior block on light will find it so easy to dominate with this alone.

Is CCS on all sides OP? Only if you attempt to throw blockable attacks.
What does that mean? It means that his CCS on all sides will make game so much more bland and boring vs him.

Jasado
08-16-2017, 03:43 AM
You are spot on thus far when it comes to Highlander. You should see the dumpster fire that is his evaluation by actually good players. Also, his lights are slower than cent's heavy, and impossible to use on reaction to anything but heavies and jump/dodge attacks. People throw out heavies, feint, then light parry him. there goes his turtle power.

AnEnticingSquid
08-16-2017, 04:03 AM
I said it on another thread already, but Crushing Counterstrike on ALL sides is OP. Just go in a game and capitalize on that and Celtic Curse mixups, ignoring everything else and you will beat anyone without unblockable attacks with ease. Any Valkyrie mains out there who already have mechanical skills with valk superior block on light will find it so easy to dominate with this alone.

Is CCS on all sides OP? Only if you attempt to throw blockable attacks.
What does that mean? It means that his CCS on all sides will make game so much more bland and boring vs him.

A lot of people were saying his cc should only be in offensive. This makes A lot of sense and would keep him from ever being a turtle, but it would probably also make him the least user friendly character in the game

Mia.Nora
08-16-2017, 04:27 AM
A lot of people were saying his cc should only be in offensive. This makes A lot of sense and would keep him from ever being a turtle, but it would probably also make him the least user friendly character in the game

I think his offensive lights are way fast to have CC on all directions. While I see the point in it, no CGB while having access to CC on all sides; if he maintains those lightning fast lights with CC then he wont need CGB since he can just light into every muscle twitch.

Anyhow combining Valkyrie superior block on all lights with Warden CC on top to create Highlander CC on all lights is begging for uber turtling. Some people said that it has input delay on defensive stance, so hopefully it is enough to prevent it being used the way Valk lights can. Otherwise he will become the next staring contestant.

Arekonator
08-16-2017, 04:45 AM
The offensive mode lights are powerfull, but consume so much stamina that he cant usually get more than two or three out.
Only in revenge they become ridiculous.