PDA

View Full Version : Pacific war expansion...an idea from old times.

SodBuster43
02-04-2004, 06:30 AM
Remember the Microprose flight sim "Pacific Air War"? The really cool thing about this game was that it was also somewhat of a strategy game as well.

The main screen for the campaign game was an overhead map of a pacific island chain. I forget exactly which area this was. Icons on this map would show the location of naval units, land bases, and aircraft flights.

I believe that land bases could be captured but I forget how exactly. Naval units could be moved as a large task force or split up into smaller task forces. Time could be excellerated also to speed up the game as naval task forces moved about and scout planes patrolled the skies.

I had more fun maneuvering my carrier task force around and sending out scout planes to search for Japanese vessels.

Once an enemy task force or maybe just a small group of ships was discovered you could launch a raid from any or all of your carriers. Then you just let them fly their course until they got close to the target. At any given point you could jump to any plane in a flight and pilot it or play as the rear gunner. Of course the enemy AI carrier task force could also launch a strike against your naval forces as well.

This was actually the first game I ever played against another human opponent. Of course this was only in a dogfight and over the phone modem. But it worked well.

Some of these older simulation games were very advanced as far as gameplay. I wish they had the graphics and sound that we currently have. It would have been nearly perfect.

Now imagine if the IL-2 Pacific expansion was like this game. For online play, the campaign mode would be really cool as a head to head game with two or more players participating.

[This message was edited by SodBuster43 on Wed February 04 2004 at 05:48 AM.]

SodBuster43
02-04-2004, 06:30 AM
Remember the Microprose flight sim "Pacific Air War"? The really cool thing about this game was that it was also somewhat of a strategy game as well.

The main screen for the campaign game was an overhead map of a pacific island chain. I forget exactly which area this was. Icons on this map would show the location of naval units, land bases, and aircraft flights.

I believe that land bases could be captured but I forget how exactly. Naval units could be moved as a large task force or split up into smaller task forces. Time could be excellerated also to speed up the game as naval task forces moved about and scout planes patrolled the skies.

I had more fun maneuvering my carrier task force around and sending out scout planes to search for Japanese vessels.

Once an enemy task force or maybe just a small group of ships was discovered you could launch a raid from any or all of your carriers. Then you just let them fly their course until they got close to the target. At any given point you could jump to any plane in a flight and pilot it or play as the rear gunner. Of course the enemy AI carrier task force could also launch a strike against your naval forces as well.

This was actually the first game I ever played against another human opponent. Of course this was only in a dogfight and over the phone modem. But it worked well.

Some of these older simulation games were very advanced as far as gameplay. I wish they had the graphics and sound that we currently have. It would have been nearly perfect.

Now imagine if the IL-2 Pacific expansion was like this game. For online play, the campaign mode would be really cool as a head to head game with two or more players participating.

[This message was edited by SodBuster43 on Wed February 04 2004 at 05:48 AM.]