PDA

View Full Version : Highlander Moveset leak

We.the.North
08-10-2017, 01:16 AM
I saw this on competitive Reddit : https://imgur.com/a/4JRB2#8kKK1o1

Hyper armor on heavy attacks while in defensive stance ... is this Warlord 2.0 ?? They created a character extremly similar to the warlord, but instead of giving him crazy push ability to ledge people, they gave him an unblockable heavy and kick.

Alustar.
08-10-2017, 01:23 AM
That looks like probably the only heavy class I will enjoy playing!

Vakris_One
08-10-2017, 01:26 AM
They seem to be giving all the new heroes kicks, possibly in an attempt to punish turtling. This is kind of making all of the vanilla roster without shoves or kicks a bit obsolete as we go forward. Cent and Shinobi are both pretty good all-rounders with a lot of versatility. From the leak we can see that Highlander will also be very versatile and I'm guessing the Gladiator will be as well.

My question to the devs is: Are all of the vanilla roster going to be given a kick as well at some point in order to 'keep up' with the new heroes?

We.the.North
08-10-2017, 01:33 AM
That looks like probably the only heavy class I will enjoy playing!

Except it's a "hybrid" I think.

Tundra 793
08-10-2017, 02:05 AM
Except it's a "hybrid" I think.

I do believe you're correct.

Looks pretty, actually pretty hard to learn at first. The Offensive form might challenge the players habit of only tapping the Heavy Attack button and holding down the guard mode button, It's gonna be interesting to learn to hold it down and string together combos and feints.
I imagine most new players are gonna be leaning on the Defensive form a lot when first starting out.

Much interesting, I very excite.

Also; Plaid. Hat.

brashtralas
08-10-2017, 02:32 AM
Ugh. Please don't ruin the game again?

Casper5632
08-10-2017, 02:50 AM
A few original heroes have a kick, but the new heroes kick is faster than any of the old ones, so it still is quite one sided. Ive never shoved a cent before he could kick me in my entire history of playing. If I shove and I see the kick animation starting I just prepare to take an entire combo.

bmason1000
08-10-2017, 03:05 AM
This looks... incredibly hard to use and very complicated. I'm for it. Looks fun! Will probably have so many options that fighting one is always going to be different from player to player. Like it will be tough to fight against but if you lose, you'll have lost to a good player, not just their character choice if you know what you mean.

Knight_Raime
08-10-2017, 03:18 AM
Wow. was totally correct. defensive form was his default form and you have to hold a button/perform certain actions to get in and out of it for combos.

from the sounds of things he's got a few soft cancels.
A kick for opening.
superior block on offensive lights. super armor (think warlord) on heavies in defensive..
and a massive unblockable.

it will be interesting to see in action. though I can feel my hand cramping from how many buttons i'll have to be pressing simotaniously.

Alustar.
08-10-2017, 03:30 AM
Wow. was totally correct. defensive form was his default form and you have to hold a button/perform certain actions to get in and out of it for combos.

from the sounds of things he's got a few soft cancels.
A kick for opening.
superior block on offensive lights. super armor (think warlord) on heavies in defensive..
and a massive unblockable.

it will be interesting to see in action. though I can feel my hand cramping from how many buttons i'll have to be pressing simotaniously.
It's kind of making me think of DMC mixed with Siegfried from Soul Cal. I'm totally on board with this.

Knight_Raime
08-10-2017, 03:32 AM
It's kind of making me think of DMC mixed with Siegfried from Soul Cal. I'm totally on board with this.

I can see why youd get dmc vibes. It would be cool if I could get a character like that in any game I play. -sighs loudly- :<

RenegadeRasta
08-10-2017, 04:04 AM
So his offensive form is pretty much a power enhancer button that makes the rest of his attacks.

And, scuse me? Offensive Form Emote?? What's it look like? Can I spam it?

Knight_Raime
08-10-2017, 05:34 AM
Also i'd like some clarification. I believe the new heros are released to season pass holders on either the 15th or the 16th. we're getting their trailers this warriors den. But I heard about some event happening this weekend where we're supposed to see their full movesets? can anyone confirm an event happening this weekend?

bmason1000
08-10-2017, 06:05 AM
Also i'd like some clarification. I believe the new heros are released to season pass holders on either the 15th or the 16th. we're getting their trailers this warriors den. But I heard about some event happening this weekend where we're supposed to see their full movesets? can anyone confirm an event happening this weekend?

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1722009-Warrior-s-Den-August-10th

Contains a copy/paste of a reddit post from the pope himself confirming an event and stream on Saturday

kweassa1
08-10-2017, 08:16 AM
In the grand tradition of fighting games, "stance" characters are usually -- and unfortunately -- "useless gimmick" characters for the most part, :S 'Stance' changing mechanics usually tend to come out either superbly useless, or superbly OP... so let's just cross our fingers that they've got it down right. LOL :D

Draghmar
08-10-2017, 08:37 AM
So defensive mode is just normal mode and he gets quite interesting things out of it and offensive is just something like charged heavy + combo. I'm afraid we will see what many predicts and there will be annoying spam from new heroes, like we have this with those from S2, in order to make them feel great and justify existence of Season Pass.

Knight_Raime
08-10-2017, 11:32 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1722009-Warrior-s-Den-August-10th

Contains a copy/paste of a reddit post from the pope himself confirming an event and stream on Saturday

thanks kind person. I can't wait to see the new heros. i'm really excited for this weekend.

In the grand tradition of fighting games, "stance" characters are usually -- and unfortunately -- "useless gimmick" characters for the most part, :S 'Stance' changing mechanics usually tend to come out either superbly useless, or superbly OP... so let's just cross our fingers that they've got it down right. LOL :D

I dunno. If they were 2 truly seperate stances with their own unique sets of moves I could maybe agree. But defensive is really "the" stance. and offensive exists to do risky but powerful quick moves. sort of like a more fleshed out bushi hidden stance. The only issue I forsee is button input frustration. but we will see.

So defensive mode is just normal mode and he gets quite interesting things out of it and offensive is just something like charged heavy + combo. I'm afraid we will see what many predicts and there will be annoying spam from new heroes, like we have this with those from S2, in order to make them feel great and justify existence of Season Pass.

I would love to say i'm surprised here. But i'm not. You pretty much slam "spammy" on anything you don't particularly like. And the last little quip is just not needed.

CandleInTheDark
08-10-2017, 11:43 AM
A few original heroes have a kick, but the new heroes kick is faster than any of the old ones, so it still is quite one sided. Ive never shoved a cent before he could kick me in my entire history of playing. If I shove and I see the kick animation starting I just prepare to take an entire combo.

If they open with a kick when I am playing Warden, 90% of the time they eat a shoulder charge, anyone else (I tend to play assassins) they eat a dodge attack. The kick comes from the same leg every time, dodge that and they have to work on another opening, but if you let them get reward from their easiest combo that is the one they are going to keep hitting you with.

Saturday is the finals of their Hero Series tournament and Eric said yesterday they will do the hero movelist and play style stuff there as well so effectively it doubles as the season premiere. I likely won't recap that like I do the Dens, not on the day at least, because last time it was near dawn for me when it finished and apparently I don't have that in me any more lol.

Draghmar
08-10-2017, 11:48 AM
I would love to say i'm surprised here. But i'm not. You pretty much slam "spammy" on anything you don't particularly like. And the last little quip is just not needed.
You pretty much trying to look clever here but you're wrong. The whole direction that Ubi took is going into this. They even said that some time ago and this leak just proved their words. So your denial is just...But whatever.
And if you think game companies doesn't do expansions like that then you should really get more experience in that field.

Knight_Raime
08-10-2017, 11:58 AM
You pretty much trying to look clever here but you're wrong. The whole direction that Ubi took is going into this. They even said that some time ago and this leak just proved their words. So your denial is just...But whatever.
And if you think game companies doesn't do expansions like that then you should really get more experience in that field.

Not my fault I took your logic in a seperate thread and slapped it right back at you and you simply ignored it.
I'm not being clever. i'm stating what you do.
But everything was pretty much off the table when you said "it doesn't matter how much of the moveset is used." to try to defend your flimsy logic on what spam is.
Yes. because making good feeling/fun heros is a bad thing. you're just making an uneeded poke because of your own issues.

Draghmar
08-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Not my fault I took your logic in a seperate thread and slapped it right back at you and you simply ignored it.
I'm not being clever. i'm stating what you do.
But everything was pretty much off the table when you said "it doesn't matter how much of the moveset is used." to try to defend your flimsy logic on what spam is.
Yes. because making good feeling/fun heros is a bad thing. you're just making an uneeded poke because of your own issues.
But you actually didn't do anything and didn't argue at all...so what's your point of posting here? Only to showoff?
Yeah...so I see you have no idea what you are talking about. Please don't reply to me again and ignore my posts. I don't like to spend my time on arguing with people that don't take their time to actually say anything of value.

Knight_Raime
08-10-2017, 12:09 PM
But you actually didn't do anything and didn't argue at all...so what's your point of posting here? Only to showoff?
Yeah...so I see you have no idea what you are talking about. Please don't reply to me again and ignore my posts. I don't like to spend my time on arguing with people that don't take their time to actually say anything of value.

I gave a well thought out reply. I told you what spam was in fighting terms.
So don't give me that.
I might be a bit rude here in this thread.
But you're slinging mud at the devs for literally no reason.
and you're already calling highlander a balance problem/spammy.

And you have the stones to tell me to say something of value? like seriously?

Jarl.Felix
08-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Oh boy .. the amount of feints with hyper armor included :))

So basicaly all you can do is dodge or parry. You can't attack him to stop his attacks.

Dodge is punishable, parry will become absolute. Blocks will inflict chip dmg.

Uhh, the rants about to come .. priceless.

Lyskir
08-10-2017, 12:12 PM

So basicaly all you can do is dodge or parry. You can't attack him to stop his attacks.

Dodge is punishable, parry will become absolute.

yeah he seems VERY strong with those leaks, Hyper armor,softcancels,kick, kick cancel into attack, attack cancel into kick holy cow :O

im more interested in gladiator but damn

poor vanilla heroes

Knight_Raime
08-10-2017, 12:13 PM

Dodge is punishable, parry will become absolute. Blocks will inflict chip dmg.

I don't believe I remember anything in his offensive stance being super bad. Both the super armor and superior block are both in defensive.
He can't parry or block while in offensive so he's forced to eat a hit and be booted to defensive stance. or dodge. and at that point you can GB him.

DrinkinMyStella
08-10-2017, 12:59 PM
really interested to see how the offensive mode and defensive mode works and if you can use the two to make a good mixup

D-d0g56
08-10-2017, 01:21 PM
OMFG he has a move called Tír na nÓg, I didn't think I would be saying this ever but god bless you Ubi Soft. New main confirmed ;)

Alustar.
08-10-2017, 01:49 PM

Soul Calibur has Siegfried, Voldo, ivy, Tira and previously mitsurugi all where based around stance changes and minus Tira I used everyone of those guys with a brutal effectiveness.

The_B0G_
08-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Wow, I cannot wait to gey my hands on this hero. New main for sure, I already have nearly enough for him too.

Also before everyone jumps on him about being OP, we still don't know his attack speeds, how telegraphed his animations are, or how much stamina his moves use.

I can't see his attacks being much faster than Kensei and nearly all my lights and heavies are parried with him.

I still think the Gladiator is going to be the more annoying character to fight.

Lyskir
08-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Wow, I cannot wait to gey my hands on this hero. New main for sure, I already have nearly enough for him too.

Also before everyone jumps on him about being OP, we still don't know his attack speeds, how telegraphed his animations are, or how much stamina his moves use.

I can't see his attacks being much faster than Kensei and nearly all my lights and heavies are parried with him.

I still think the Gladiator is going to be the more annoying character to fight.

yeah that could be true, we have to wait for next week :)

D-d0g56
08-10-2017, 03:26 PM

His move set does looks a bit like kensei's, relying a lot on superior block while side dashing to start an attack string. Although it also looks like he's way more equipped than Kensei. If Kensei got a buff to this level people would only really see him as mid tier or medium high. I don't know anyone that would call him OP. Judging by the play style needed for these moves he would probably handle the same way but better.

S.J.Lannister
08-10-2017, 03:47 PM
I don't like it ;) New season characters has 3-4 pages movesets while Vanilla Characters has only 2.

This game is going to be Centurion/Highlander and maybe Gladiator only and I don't like it.

Way to fix metas is a way to balance the game which means balance existing characters. Not to just add spam/stun/unblockable characters. But you Ubisoft are trying to dodge the problem, I wish that your cashflow will get a Guard Break on that.

Now there will be threads like threats: Highlander OP or Highlander worse Cancer than Centurion. Skilless player will reply to that - wow, great character to fight defensive meta, don't nerf it!

D-d0g56
08-10-2017, 07:02 PM
I don't like it ;) New season characters has 3-4 pages movesets while Vanilla Characters has only 2.

This game is going to be Centurion/Highlander and maybe Gladiator only and I don't like it.

Way to fix metas is a way to balance the game which means balance existing characters. Not to just add spam/stun/unblockable characters. But you Ubisoft are trying to dodge the problem, I wish that your cashflow will get a Guard Break on that.

Now there will be threads like threats: Highlander OP or Highlander worse Cancer than Centurion. Skilless player will reply to that - wow, great character to fight defensive meta, don't nerf it!

I don't really see how the highlander fits that bill. The highlander, if anything, contributes to defensive meta. Between hyper-armour and superior block on every second attack and a stance dedicated to defensiveness (which is his default stance) he has turtle written all over him. People are really jumping the gun about him being an OP defense breaker.

This reminds me of when the shinobi was showcased and everyone was like "Yea doods, he has a frick'n teleport he's gonna be completely OPAF". And yet it was the un-expecting centurion to take the controls on the pain train with poor shinoobi riding back seat in unnecessarily-hated-on carriage. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the gladiator is the one that has the gimmick that breaks the game. After all, the devs are awfully quite about him. I bet it would be something like, he gets superior block on the opposite side of where he attacks and/or stance. Something so simple but it would be impossible to break past, allowing him to trident your face to Swiss cheese. Heaven forbid they should give bleed damage in that scenario.

CandleInTheDark
08-10-2017, 07:10 PM
I don't really see how the highlander fits that bill. The highlander, if anything, contributes to defensive meta. Between hyper-armour and superior block on every second attack and a stance dedicated to defensiveness (which is his default stance) he has turtle written all over him. People are really jumping the gun about him being an OP defense breaker.

This reminds me of when the shinobi was showcased and everyone was like "Yea doods, he has a frick'n teleport he's gonna be completely OPAF". And yet it was the un-expecting centurion to take the controls on the pain train with poor shinoobi riding back seat in unnecessarily-hated-on carriage. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the gladiator is the one that has the gimmick that breaks the game. After all, the devs are awfully quite about him. I bet it would be something like, he gets superior block on the opposite side of where he attacks and/or stance. Something so simple but it would be impossible to break past, allowing him to trident your face to Swiss cheese. Heaven forbid they should give bleed damage in that scenario.

I think your guess might just be a good one there, I saw the gladiator's description in the patch notes.

The Gladiator (Assassin): an easy-to-play Knight who boasts a high attack speed. They excel when it comes to stamina management and easily keep enemies at a distance with their proud tridents.

D-d0g56
08-10-2017, 07:13 PM
I think your guess might just be a good one there, I saw the gladiator's description in the patch notes.

The Gladiator (Assassin): an easy-to-play Knight who boasts a high attack speed. They excel when it comes to stamina management and easily keep enemies at a distance with their proud tridents.

Yikes. I really don't want to be right. :nonchalance:

CandleInTheDark
08-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Yikes. I really don't want to be right. :nonchalance:

We will need to see how it plays but I am really hoping he isn't peacekeeper fast, I don't like the peacekeeper peacekeeper fast and she is my main.