PDA

View Full Version : This has been bugging me for a while

Rikuto01.tv
07-18-2017, 02:25 PM
Story mode goes out of its way to teach you that the trick to beating all-guard shield stances is to guard break.

Then you play the actual game, and you learn that it has no weakness because it can just be guard-break countered.

What's up with that, anyway?

Charmzzz
07-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Hm, Full Block Stance is also vulnerable to unblockables like Headbutt, Shoulder / Shield Bash. Or a soft-feinted heavy into GB does the trick sometimes. And it drains stamina over time, so just stay away until they stop the ultra-turtle-mode by themselves.

Concerning Story-Mode: that whole thing is like a tutorial, teaching only basics. And there are enough players that cannot counter-guardbreak constantly.

Dude_of_Valor
07-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Story mode goes out of its way to teach you that the trick to beating all-guard shield stances is to guard break.

Then you play the actual game, and you learn that it has no weakness because it can just be guard-break countered.

What's up with that, anyway?

Or you could just leave them alone. Let them drain their stamina. Only class this does not work on is the Orochi holding his storm rush. Don't know why this does not drain stamina but it should.

Blasto95
07-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Does Shugokis tutorial video still tell you to knock people down with his charge and then cancel to attack them? I found that hysterical they nerfed that into oblivion yet they taught people how to do it since day one.

And I suppose guard breaking is the counter to full block stance...unless he reads that you are going to GB and gets a free hit, there's no risk to a GB and it forces him out of his full block stance. Also like the above said, they can just waste their stamina if they want and apply pressure as soon as they come out.

Rikuto01.tv
07-18-2017, 08:38 PM
its a very slow stamina drain, and not everyone has an unblockable. Also, not everyone has a lethal mixup that kills on low health threshold.

Take orochi for example. An orochi's top light combo can kill at low threshold, but his zone cannot. So all a shield guy has to do is run his normal game will guarding top and if he gets hit by a zone, he ducks behind his shield until his health regens. He can actually stall the match out in this manner if he chooses to. And because zone takes 50% stamina or more depending on if it decides to glitch out, even with the full-guard stamina drain in effect that character will always maintain a stamina advantage.

But it's not just orochi that has this problem. Plenty of characters lack lethal 50/50's, even in the console space, and they don't have unblockables to crack the shield open. Kinda seems a bit much.

Now, I'm not saying zones should be buffed so that they are all doing heavy damage, that'd be lunacy. But I do think that if I know what a persons next move should be, I should have a tool to deal with it. Story mode is pretty misleading there because it offers what seems like a fair solution, then the multiplayer game kicks sand in your face.

RenegadeRasta
07-18-2017, 10:14 PM
Does Shugokis tutorial video still tell you to knock people down with his charge and then cancel to attack them? I found that hysterical they nerfed that into oblivion yet they taught people how to do it since day one.

Yea that was bullsh!t.

DimmerScroll021
07-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Or you could just leave them alone. Let them drain their stamina. Only class this does not work on is the Orochi holding his storm rush. Don't know why this does not drain stamina but it should.

Orochi storm rush is complete parry bait, that's why. Once I see them dip back I move guard stance to the side their on, back off and wait. If they do fire it off, parry and get a free heavy hit off a guardbreak, or if you are a assassin class get a free deflect. Full guard stance has a stamina drain to keep people from sitting in it. If an Orochi just wants to stand there and wait for me to parry him/her, I don't think they should have a stamina cost other than the attack stamina cost. Besides, if you are fast enough, you can use your closer move and easily close the distance before they can even fire it off. It's why I very seldomly see Orochis use that move, telegraphing and parry mechanics make it very risky to use.