PDA

View Full Version : Run & Jump in Eder Gira

Brackley
12-30-2003, 07:58 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif How much of this game depends on the ability to run and jump? I absolutely suck at this particular skill; to the point where I tossed the last Indiana Jones game in the trash as I was unable to get anywhere without running and jumping.

I am currently in Eder Gira and am unable to obtain whatever is on the ledge near the puff plants. I can see it when I am with the blue book of Shomat...

I've tried running and jumping from every angle, tried to use rocks etc. All to no avail.

1. Do I need whatever is on the ledge to continue and/or have a successful outcome?

2. Are there other points in the game where it is necessary for me to run and jump to continue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brackley
12-30-2003, 07:58 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif How much of this game depends on the ability to run and jump? I absolutely suck at this particular skill; to the point where I tossed the last Indiana Jones game in the trash as I was unable to get anywhere without running and jumping.

I am currently in Eder Gira and am unable to obtain whatever is on the ledge near the puff plants. I can see it when I am with the blue book of Shomat...

I've tried running and jumping from every angle, tried to use rocks etc. All to no avail.

1. Do I need whatever is on the ledge to continue and/or have a successful outcome?

2. Are there other points in the game where it is necessary for me to run and jump to continue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Whitch2
12-30-2003, 08:07 PM
You do NOT need the page on the ledge to continue. It's a Relto page and just adds to your Relto. This is, IMO, the hardest jump in the game.

There are others you will have to do, but there are not a lot. I also think they are much easier.

I, too, stink at this type of stuff, but it is so minimal in the game, that I've actually come to enjoy it somewhat.....

...except for that one near the Puffers. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Brackley
12-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Thanks Whitch2.

I'll carry on and pretend that I never saw that pesky page.

Alynnn
12-30-2003, 08:46 PM
I dunno, I thought the balcony jump was the hardest in the game http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But then again, it's not technically 'in' the game, so dont' worry about it

This particular jump I found quite easy. You can run up the side of the rock (jump twice) and you'll be on top, then just jump to the ledge

SilentObserver
12-30-2003, 08:53 PM
Now that's interesting -- I got up there by a completely different means; I walked into the gap between the smaller puff plant and the ledge, from the same side as the rock you jumped off (after several failed attempts to jump from the rock), and with a combination of running toward the blank wall at the ledge end and jumps, was eventually able to get up high enough, possibly with the help of the plant puffing, to get onto the ledge.

dividertabs
12-30-2003, 08:57 PM
HG1973 posted a wonderful pic on how to get that page: http://unrealhell.homestead.com/files/ederkemo_reltojump.jpg
Sing praise to him in the original thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=5451034&m=4201066)

Ki 01235796
Fear JennyH and her padlocks of Death.

jesster777
12-31-2003, 02:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dividertabs:
HG1973 posted a wonderful pic on how to get that page: http://unrealhell.homestead.com/files/ederkemo_reltojump.jpg
Sing praise to him in the original http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=5451034&m=4201066

Ki 01235796
Fear JennyH and her padlocks of Death.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

divider, how do you get this picks? are they screen captures daved in mspaint?

Brackley
12-31-2003, 06:25 AM
Thanks Alynnn, SilentObserver, dividertabs and jesster777, for all the advice and especially the step by step pictures that HG1973 provided.

I had moved on to another age, but your posts have made me decide to go back and try again. I'll let you know how I make out!

You guys are great!

Brackley
12-31-2003, 10:29 AM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Thanks anyway guys, but no luck. As I said, I cannot do this run and jump stuff. At. All.

Quote: "This particular jump I found quite easy. You can run up the side of the rock (jump twice) and you'll be on top, then just jump to the ledge"

Unfortunately, that's 3 too many jumps for me. I can't even manage to run up any rocks let alone jump on them...

Quote: "I walked into the gap between the smaller puff plant and the ledge, from the same side as the rock you jumped off (after several failed attempts to jump from the rock), and with a combination of running toward the blank wall at the ledge end and jumps, was eventually able to get up high enough, possibly with the help of the plant puffing, to get onto the ledge."

Absolutely no luck with this. I got nowhere near the height I needed...

After an hour of frustration, I was able to walk/jump up to the top of the rock as HG1973 pictured. Had I actually been able to SAVE at this point (the lack of a good SAVE function is a sore subject with me) I might have eventually succeeded. But of course I blew the run and jump and have no tolerance for another hour long battle back to the top of the rock for another try...

I'll admit to being annoyed at not being able to enjoy all the aspects of this game because of this need to run & jump. My satisfaction with Myst, Riven and Exile were because the games were played mentally by solving puzzles, and didn't rely on hand to eye coordination. It's something I'll remember to check out very carefully in any future game purchases...

I do appreciate all of your efforts to help me though!

anncherie
12-31-2003, 02:25 PM
I also suck at running & jumping...get myself in a hot sweat, give it a go, miss, link back to Relto, try again, and again, then cheat...get one of my adult sons to do it for me.
For us "older" players (over 50), not familiar with this type of gameplay, Uru has proven to be very frustrating. I've actually given up on the game as I get to these points and can go no further. I loved the previous Myst games as the only frustration was resolving puzzles by THINKING...many a sleepless night trying to figure out how to resolve a puzzle and even getting out of bed when the great idea strikes home...ahh...gratification. Like a checkmate in Chess.
If I wanted to play action games, my sons have a myriad in their collections that I could play...all those killing & conquering the universe types.
I don't want to gripe too much about Uru, but never before have I given up on a Myst game. Sadly,I haven't bothered with it for about 3 weeks now.

Trajlin
12-31-2003, 03:42 PM
Nooo.. Point 1) there really isnt any required hard jumping. (only if you want to like get to places you dont need to be) I ran through the game, and i didnt have to be coordinated at all. The only required jumps that require anytype of timing or anything like that, is the jump to the gahreesen and such with the rotation, but how is timing that any different then just hitting space bar forward, any different then hurring and clicking on the numerous timed puzzles in M-R-E? I think that if you just think at it from a root perspective, instead of trying to make things too difficult.

--To get the one relto page on that rock by the way, i spent 4 hours without giving up, lol trying probably the hardest way imaginable.. by jumping from the ledge to ontop of the plant, to onto the stone, then on the ledge with the page.. making things too difficult? Yes.

I really hope you just try to go through Uru with just solving puzzles that come instead of trying to get to special areas/or pieces in the game. The game is enjoyable, and satisfying at the end. Goodluck all, and have a great New Years.

SilentObserver
01-01-2004, 12:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brackley:

Quote: "I walked into the gap between the smaller puff plant and the ledge, from the same side as the rock you jumped off (after several failed attempts to jump from the rock), and with a combination of running toward the blank wall at the ledge end and jumps, was eventually able to get up high enough, possibly with the help of the plant puffing, to get onto the ledge."

Absolutely no luck with this. I got nowhere near the height I needed...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It took me some time, perhaps a half hour and 10-12 tries starting from ground level, to get up there my way after giving up on the rock as a route up. The key seems to be in angles, facing in the correct direction at the right heights, and the final jump might well have been dependent on timing;I held down the space bar while running with the mouse, and after several jumps I got up, which makes me think I might have gotten some help from the puffer plant I was wedged against. I did it all in first person, and hadn't yet started saving screen shots of anything, so I don't have pictures, but I might be able to reproduce it.

I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Brackley
01-01-2004, 04:54 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Well, I finally just gave up yesterday and turned off the computer. I'm going to play URU later tonight, but will not waste any more time trying to retrieve the piece of paper from the ledge.

It's frustrating though, because obviously the paper was meant to be read. It's not like it's a part of the game just created for the sake of exploring...

ETA - I do thank everybody for their help, comments, suggestions and commiseration!

BabsatHome
01-01-2004, 05:14 PM
You just think you can't . I stink at the running and jumpimg thing to but I made it and so can you.From a clear distance and angled from the rock put your run in caps lock jump when you get to rock twice and stop. Then unlock caps lock and jump to paper.Let us know how you do. I am trying the balcony jump been at it for days but if they can do it so can I . LOL<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>

scribblywench
01-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Wahhhh!
I can't even get the "crab" vent traps to throw me upwards! (I presume that's what I have to do)
It goes up, I don't. Since I'm standing on it at the time, that could be painful in reality!

Nitabeanz
01-04-2004, 10:46 AM
I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I came to this part of the game. I DO play games like Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc. but jumping has always been weak point. I can make it to the top of the rock OK, but have not been able to make it to the ledge.

It seems that with the advent of 3d characters the Myst series has become just like any other game where you have to perform stupid tricks like a pet monkey to succeed.

Coronagold
01-04-2004, 02:27 PM
I like bananas.

http://sargem.hypermart.net/pogosig.jpg

Nitabeanz
01-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Well I realized that what I was trying to do was not working... that is... trying to get a running start from the rock. Just go to the edge of the rock closest to the ledge and run/jump but don't run and then jump.

kagardner
01-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Here's an odd thing: I was able to get the Relto page in Eder Kemo in URU Live almost immediately, but still cannot get the Relto page offline (despite several hours of attempts!). Doesn't make sense that I would have better avatar control in Live, does it?

Also, I can't use the 3rd person view when I get anywhere near the puffer plants. When I select 3rd person view, the camera zooms way far away, and I can sometimes get just an ant-sized glimpse of my avatar from afar. I prefer 1st person, so I don't really care, but has anyone else had that problem?

Niobean
01-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Running and jumping -- yes a difficult thing to do, perhaps there is a way for the technical staff to map a key for it. Using both hands is a problem for some people. I also wish such acrobatics were not required -- wonder what the demographics of the purchasing audience is....

I eventually got the page but time after time I ended up IN the rock, nothing to do but link back and start again. I also had trouble closing the lava steam vent because I didn't understand how that particular system worked and it re-opened repeatedly.

Now I'm working on the balcony. My jumps are short every time. But at least I finally managed to get on the ledge and learn how to jump from there. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

niobean

JeffG1
01-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Re third person view problem - I think it's a recent bug (introduced by one of the many updates). I had the same problem in the same place on my last attempt here, then got it to go away somehow. I had exactly the same problem once when leaving the second telescope in Kadish. Also in Live (hey - maybe it's since I joined Live).

t.resah
01-09-2004, 04:00 PM
I had a horrible time with the jump in Eder Kemo. I finally worked out how to do it, with a LOT of help from CAGraywolf. Wolf rocks. I will paraphrase what he told me:

Use third person view. Position yourself so that you are facing the rock, with the lightpost for the path directly behind it. A vertical light streak appears at the top of the rock when you are in perfect alignment.

Run/jump at the rock, using both mouse buttons and the spacebar. Your avatar will scramble about halfway up. Without stopping, release the left mouse button and walk/jump the rest of the way up. Release all buttons as soon as you reach the top of the rock. It is very easy to overshoot and jump off the other side.

Once on top of the rock, carefully turn so that you are lined up on the ledge with the page, between the two puffers. Sidestep carefully until you are exactly on top of the rock, aligned between the puffers.

THEN--get ready to jump. Click the "Caps Lock" key, you will run automatically. If you have the "go where I point" checked in your preferences, make sure your cursor is on the ledge where you want to land. Then push the spacebar and the "Up" arrow at the same time. The avatar should do a long running leap to the ledge. IMMEDIATELY release the buttons as soon as the avatar jumps. Click the "Caps Lock" key again to turn it off. Pick up the page. It's not essential to the game, but it is cool.

One last note--do you know how to sidestep? I didn't for a long time, and wasted a lot of time on a lot of areas (like pushing baskets around ponds) until I did. Use the "&lt;" and "&gt;" keys to sidestep.

When I imported a character to Live, I lost a lot of information and had to repeat the jump. Only took two tries!! And I SUCK at twitch stuff in games.

Above all, don't sweat it. All things will come, in time. Just have fun.

T'resah, panic link expert

&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;
T'resah the Mad Scrivener
T'resah in cavern
KI #01049672 (Atrus)
KI #00185317 (Katran)

"It's way too early to determine what our needs will be that far in the future. We'll burn that bridge while we're crossing it."

--Dr. Watson
&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;O&gt;&gt;